Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

The new Doctor Who v.5 (spoilers for season 8)

Old March 25th, 2013, 9:49 am
Fourth Year

Re: The new Doctor Who v.5 (spoilers in abundance also for season 7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittling View Post
This isn't actually the Greater Intelligence's first appearance, and referances to the London Underground in the 60's seems to confirm that this is the same GI that Patric Troughton faced as Dr2 - remember the Yetis in the London Underground being possesed by the Greater Intelligence - sounds very much like the same thing to me
The Yetis and the London Underground - pretty much my first memory of Doctor Who...

Old March 30th, 2013, 7:03 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiedoodle View Post
The Yetis and the London Underground - pretty much my first memory of Doctor Who...
The Beeb would like to download your memories, then, as they long ago erased that story!

On other fronts, David Tennant and Billie Piper are returning for the 50th anniversary show. It does not like any of the older Doctor's will be returning, but another "Two Doctors" could be amusing. Hopefully the story itself will be a "50th Anniversary" story: by that, I don't mean some "let's trot out every face we can" fan-****, but a story that gets at the who/what/why of the Doctor.

Needless to say, the hardcores are very upset. They wanted either an "8 Doctors" or something involving the Time War. I cannot see how either would really fit in with what they are doing with Clara.

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there. - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Old April 1st, 2013, 2:42 am
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Cool news about David Tennant and Billie Piper for the 50th. I wonder if we're getting Time Lord Tennant or the human incarnation who went into the alternate universe to be with Rose.

So... how did everybody like the new episode with the new companion and a cyber-twist on the Great Intelligence?

I really enjoyed it, personally.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old April 1st, 2013, 4:27 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
Cool news about David Tennant and Billie Piper for the 50th. I wonder if we're getting Time Lord Tennant or the human incarnation who went into the alternate universe to be with Rose.

So... how did everybody like the new episode with the new companion and a cyber-twist on the Great Intelligence?

I was wondering the same thing. I don't know what I'm hoping for with their return, but I'm sure it'll be good.

I enjoyed it. I didn't catch it the first time, but it was a small surprise to see Amy's name on that book!

Also, I'm wondering who gave Clara the Doctor's phone number. Many are saying River, but I'm really hoping for somebody different....

I don't know what I think of the Great Intelligence. I'm not that familiar with Classic Who, so I'm looking forward to learning a little more about the GI...

Last edited by SusanBones; April 2nd, 2013 at 4:14 am.
Old April 1st, 2013, 4:33 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
It probably will be just the 10th Doctor "lifted" from his first season, sort of the way that the 2nd Doctor & Jamie were "lifted" from between Troughton's 2nd & 3rd seasons. (And, no, they did not bother to explain why Troughton & Hines looked so much older! I really doubt that they'll bother with so much less time involved.)

Supposedly we are going to learn the Doctor's secret at last, whatever that might be. I'm not sure if it's the season finale or the 50th anniversary. Smith said that the 50th involves "Paintings" and that's it. I'm sure that will make a lot more sense in 8 months! There is no report on any other Doctor's or former companions, but perhaps paintings of the Doctor's former selves will play some role, and 10 and 11 will be involved in person. This season's running motif is remembering: every story so far has something to do with recalling something lost in some way. I'm assuming that this is a nod to the 50th anniversary year, and that the 50th Anniversary story will continue this, but that's just an assumption.

Quote:

I thought that it was well done, and the arc to this season finally is coming into clear focus. Bringing back the Great Intelligence is an interesting idea. What the deal is with Clara is beginning to really intrigue me. Is she somehow connected to the Doctor's great secret, or will unraveling her lead to the Doctor's great secret? I have to think that the Intelligence is somehow involved with this.

River will be back for the season finale, too. We've still got some unanswered questions surrounding her: in particular, what was Moffat hiding from us on the cradle that the Doctor read, but that the TARDIS would not translate for Amy & Rory? I'm wondering if Moffat intends to somehow connect her storyline with Clara's? There almost certainly is a "why" to her tending to run backwards relative to the Doctor: but I'm betting that will be wrapped up at the fall of the 11th at the Fields of Trenzalore. I do wonder if there will be some connection between the Silence and The Great Intelligence in the end: clearly Moffat is going for the long con!

We get the return of the Ice Warriors in 2 or 3 weeks. That should be interesting: they haven't been in a story since Pertwee was the Doctor. (They almost came back for Colin Baker, but that BBC cancelled that season.) Let's hope that they are less clunky than they were. (Like the Great Intelligence, the Ice Warriors also first appeared under Troughton's Doctor!) And we get another Neil Gaiman episode after that: Nightmare in Silver, featuring the good old Cybermen. It's always interesting to see what happens when a fan who is also a real storywriter does something: and The Doctor's Wife was spectacular.

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there. - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Old April 1st, 2013, 6:28 pm
Squee-worthy

Was it just me, or was the Great Intelligence face the same guy the Doctor already stopped from the Christmas episode?

I really enjoyed this episode, and I love Clara and how the Doctor feels so protective over her because he's lost her twice already. I really don't have many ideas how Clara is throughout time as she is, but I think it's obvious that "Oswin" from the Asylum of the Daleks is after this Clara and may even be the same one or at least have some of the memories: "Oswin" "Run you clever boy, and remember" and the like. I also really love how Clara isn't your typical companion. She doesn't up and go with the Doctor she said "come back tomorrow," it's very different from Rose and Amy who had no qualms of leaving her life and the people in it behind.

One thing I didn't give much thought to but others have apparently was the shop woman who gave Clara the Doctor's number saying he was the "best in the universe, in fact." My first guess is River, but I suppose it could be anyone or even no one in particular.

I'm excited to see that Ten and Rose are back, but also a little hesitant as to how that could work. I think I would actually prefer if it was alt-universe them as opposed to Season 2 them.

I'm not sure if I am excited about next week's episode, the space-y ones tend to be my least favorite but we'll see how it goes. Overall, I'm very excited to see how Clara and the Doctor interact because I love the chemistry already and Clara really is a mystery I want to solve.

Old April 1st, 2013, 6:50 pm
Rocket Scientist

I'm sad cause I was very underwhelmed by the opening episode. I like Clara despite her being a bit of a damsel in distress, I imagine she will become stronger as time goes on. This episode however felt like a bit of a ripoff of stuff that's been done before. You blink you die, you wifi you die... It just felt a little unoriginal. I like that they are trying to bring some of the older classic Doctor Who villains in with the great intelligence but I think they executed it poorly. I hope the season picks up from here.

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Old April 1st, 2013, 6:53 pm
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Godric View Post
Was it just me, or was the Great Intelligence face the same guy the Doctor already stopped from the Christmas ?
Yes, it was the same guy. The GI took over his body in the snowmen episode, so I guess it's still using that face.

Old April 2nd, 2013, 2:03 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
I'm excited to see that Ten and Rose are back, but also a little hesitant as to how that could work. I think I would actually prefer if it was alt-universe them as opposed to Season 2 them.
Why would that be preferable? The Doctor has bumped into himself in the past. Having 2 and 6 meet, for example, didn't cause any problems, nor did having 2 and 3 meet with 1 watching via Gallifreyan Skype!

It's heavily implied that the Doctor has lots of little adventures that we don't see. This would just be a case of one of those getting disrupted by the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
Yes, it was the same guy. The GI took over his body in the snowmen episode, so I guess it's still using that face.
Also, Richard Grant was in the credits!

Last edited by Wimsey; April 2nd, 2013 at 2:05 am.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 5:37 am
Second Year

Quote:
Super exciting news. And I've been wondering that too... I'm honestly not sure which I would prefer, either! But I have a feeling it will be the this-universe version of them from the past, because I think Rose and 10's human incarnation are stuck in that parallel universe. (I think? Maybe I'm wrong on that)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikuStark View Post
I enjoyed it. I didn't catch it the first time, but it was a small surprise to see Amy's name on that book!
I loved that little detail. I was kind of hoping the Doctor would see the book while he was looking through Clara's bookshelf.

Quote:
I also really love how Clara isn't your typical companion. She doesn't up and go with the Doctor she said "come back tomorrow," it's very different from Rose and Amy who had no qualms of leaving her life and the people in it behind.
I really like that about her too - it makes her seem more realistic. Leaving the life you know to travel across time and space is a pretty huge decision (or at least I would imagine so - having never had the opportunity myself ), and both Rose and Amy made that decision in a split second. So Clara seems more relatable, at least to me. Anyway, I like her so far.

Her story seems like it'll be interesting, I'm really curious how she keeps dying and appearing again in a different time and place. I kind of wonder if she's going to die halfway through the season, and then show up again later.

Captain of the HMS Arts & Crafts, co-founder of Annie Is My Homegirl, Proud member of the IBP and KEBA
Old April 2nd, 2013, 12:44 pm
Inconceivable!

I enjoyed the episode and was glad to see that it was a rather simple plot. The biggest mystery seems to be about Clara. I noticed that the list of ages in her travel book had ages 16 and 23 missing from the list. Could she have been 16 when she was the governess and 23 when she was a Dalek?

Did anyone see the teaser episode with young Clara talking to the Doctor at the playground? Could the maple leaf be from the tree that is in the background. It could represent page one, since Clara was probably around ten or eleven years old then.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Old April 2nd, 2013, 6:59 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Good catch, but how can she be Dalek at 23 and human again a year later?

I like Clara, but I this episode was a bit boring. Maybe I didn't notice some crucial things though. I still think that Clara is related to something or someone from the past.

The End of the Dream.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 8:02 pm
Third Year

I wasn't blown away by this episode to be honest. The ridiculous hacking scene irritated me in particular. Also I'm hating the new theme and introduction. Is it new? I can't remember if they used it for the specials but I didn't like it. That said, I'm super intrigued by Clara as a character, I think she's set up to be really interesting. I love the maple leaf idea, but I don't think the ages fit together though her three consecutive story lines. In the victorian story she appears to have led a complete life up to the age of 26 which doesn't fit in with the other lines so I'm guessing her lives aren't supposed to be occuring linearly. I feel like there are exciting revelations to come!

Old April 3rd, 2013, 12:43 am
The Dark Lord's Faithful Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by marauderfan View Post
I really like that about her too - it makes her seem more realistic. Leaving the life you know to travel across time and space is a pretty huge decision (or at least I would imagine so - having never had the opportunity myself ), and both Rose and Amy made that decision in a split second. So Clara seems more relatable, at least to me. Anyway, I like her so far.
Oh, I don't know... I've certainly had a number of times that I wished I could just walk away from everything, leave suddenly without saying goodbye and go somewhere very far away and not be tied down to anything. If I were given that kind of opportunity -- especially by someone with a time machine, who could return me back to the moment after I left if I should ever decide I wanted to return -- I would go in a heartbeat. But maybe that's just me.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 2:41 am
Squee-worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBones View Post
I enjoyed the episode and was glad to see that it was a rather simple plot. The biggest mystery seems to be about Clara. I noticed that the list of ages in her travel book had ages 16 and 23 missing from the list. Could she have been 16 when she was the governess and 23 when she was a Dalek?

Did anyone see the teaser episode with young Clara talking to the Doctor at the playground? Could the maple leaf be from the tree that is in the background. It could represent page one, since Clara was probably around ten or eleven years old then.
I noticed that 16 and 23 were missing, but I wasn't sure if it meant anything or not. I'm still not convinced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey View Post
Why would that be preferable? The Doctor has bumped into himself in the past. Having 2 and 6 meet, for example, didn't cause any problems, nor did having 2 and 3 meet with 1 watching via Gallifreyan Skype!

It's heavily implied that the Doctor has lots of little adventures that we don't see. This would just be a case of one of those getting disrupted by the future.
I think I would prefer it really because I want River to be in the special too. And Season 2 Ten and River can't meet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pox Voldius View Post
Oh, I don't know... I've certainly had a number of times that I wished I could just walk away from everything, leave suddenly without saying goodbye and go somewhere very far away and not be tied down to anything. If I were given that kind of opportunity -- especially by someone with a time machine, who could return me back to the moment after I left if I should ever decide I wanted to return -- I would go in a heartbeat. But maybe that's just me.
I suppose it's easier for us to be hesitant knowing that the Doctor says he can bring you back in 30 seconds but often he messes up instead

Old April 3rd, 2013, 2:58 am
Curse Breaker

Well, it looks like the Zygons are returning for the 50th anniversary show. That puzzles the heck out of me: they were in one Tom Baker episode (one of the last of the UNIT ones, not counting the nostalgia stories). There is an offhand reference to them in "Power of Three." Not the "classic" monsters that I would have brought back, but, hey, I'm sure that The Moff has something up his sleeves.

Quote:
I really like that about her too - it makes her seem more realistic. Leaving the life you know to travel across time and space is a pretty huge decision (or at least I would imagine so - having never had the opportunity myself ), and both Rose and Amy made that decision in a split second.
Heh, those two and almost all of the Doctor's other companions.
Quote:
Her story seems like it'll be interesting, I'm really curious how she keeps dying and appearing again in a different time and place. I kind of wonder if she's going to die halfway through the season, and then show up again later.
Well, Moffat has promised a great "reveal" about the Doctor, and Matt Smith has said that it's going to blow people away. Somehow, Clara being split over time probably is related to this: at any rate, Occam's Razor says bet on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMemory View Post
I wasn't blown away by this episode to be honest. The ridiculous hacking scene irritated me in particular.
Well, a key part of the plot was that Clara accessed the GI's computer matrix when she was partially uploaded. It was also key to the plot that having people be semi-linked to it was critical to the way the GI worked.
Quote:
Also I'm hating the new theme and introduction. Is it new? I can't remember if they used it for the specials but I didn't like it.
It's very retro: it's similar to what they used in the 1980's. As all things about Original Who are superior to New Who (), it obviously must be better!
Quote:
... so I'm guessing her lives aren't supposed to be occuring linearly. I feel like there are exciting revelations to come!
It's possible that the non-linear part will play a part in how Doctor #10 and Doctor #11 cross time streams, too.

Here's a thought. The Doctor figured out who River was when she showed him the High Gallifreyan on the cradle. She hadn't seen that in a while, she said. Sadly, the TARDIS didn't translate High Gallifreyan ("Few people read it anymore: [all the Doctor's at once] But I do!"), so we had to settle for the

So, is Clara connected to what put the River's identification on the Doctor's bassinet? It could be that this is just something that Moffat put in there with the intention of doing something later, and simply thought differently about it later. (This does strike me as implausible, however: the Doctor already knew that River knew his name, and that there was only one good reason for that; thus, the bassinet should have been telling him something even more than that.) As all Harry Potter fans know, good story-tellers answer multiple mysteries with one reveal. (That's why people using Occam's Razor did so much better at anticipating the final book than people who did not.) Moffat might have something else going on: but I'm betting that we'll be getting a wrap on the River arc soon, too.

Quote:
I think I would prefer it really because I want River to be in the special too. And Season 2 Ten and River can't meet.
Well, Jo and Doctor #2 were not supposed to meet: after all, Doctor #3 thought that she was the tea-lady! Peri and Doctor #2 were not supposed to meet: after all, Doctor #5 had no idea who Peri was! The Doctor on the leading edge of time obviously gets to alter his past somewhat. ("Our" Doctor is not that Doctor, as he's encountered future versions of himself from time-to-time.) The Doctor never gives any indication of recalling encountering his future self from the Three, Five or Two Doctors. The only exception to that is Time Crash, I think. So, that's no big deal to me: and I doubt that 95% of the audience will care!

So, if 10 now meets River a little early, then that didn't happen before, except that it did some"times." You need at least 6 dimensions to reconcile all of this stuff, after all!

(The Hardcore Whovians might, but they all seem to hate River insofar as I can tell. Come to it, they hate Matt Smith's and David Tennant's Doctors, too!)

EDIT: A few photos of the shoot for the 50th have been released. Gasp!!! They include.... wait for it.... People in costumes from historical England!!!! My gosh, I could never have guessed that Doctor Who would ever go there!

EDIT II: Sylvester McCoy has re-affirmed that none of the "20th Century" Doctors have been asked to participate in the 50th. Given that Eccleston left the show on bad terms (albeit with the previous director), nobody is expecting him to return. In typical fan-boy fashion, a lot of the Old Time Whovians think that this is "proof" that the surviving 5 will return: otherwise, why would McCoy say that they are not?

EDIT III: Chris Eccleston considered reprising Doctor #9, but he decided against it. That's a bummer! Again, Whovians are taking this as confirmation that he'll be in the 50th....

Last edited by Wimsey; April 6th, 2013 at 3:53 am.
Old April 7th, 2013, 9:23 am
Second Year

What did everyone think of the new episode? I really liked that it was a space one, I feel like a lot of the recent ones with Amy and Rory were time travel ones but not space travel, so that was nice to see something different. Cool looking planet, too... or asteroid belt I guess?

The intergalactic market thing that they went to in the beginning totally reminded me of that cantina bar in Star Wars. I was kind of surprised when the Doctor had to translate some of the growling/barking aliens to Clara; I thought the TARDIS was supposed to translate that on its own. Maybe the TARDIS has limitations on what it considers a language versus growling.

I wasn't expecting the leaf mystery to be solved so quickly! (unless there's more to the story than what they told here.) It was nice to see a little of Clara's past, I'm curious if that will end up being important later - though it certainly didn't explain anything about how she's died multiple times. Maybe her mother will show up alive in a later episode. (Probably not, but it could happen)

Captain of the HMS Arts & Crafts, co-founder of Annie Is My Homegirl, Proud member of the IBP and KEBA
Old April 7th, 2013, 12:55 pm
Inconceivable!

Quote:
What did everyone think of the new episode? I really liked that it was a space one, I feel like a lot of the recent ones with Amy and Rory were time travel ones but not space travel, so that was nice to see something different. Cool looking planet, too... or asteroid belt I guess?
I didn't think it was a very exciting episode. I wasn't too interested in the story with the little girl. It just seemed a little flat.

I noticed that they have once again reinforced the idea that Clara has a strong connection to children. I'm not exactly sure why this seems to be a key part of her character. It doesn't fit with the idea of the companions wanting to explore the universe and face dangerous situations with the doctor.

Quote:
The intergalactic market thing that they went to in the beginning totally reminded me of that cantina bar in Star Wars.
That is exactly what I thought, too. I kept waiting for Luke Skywalker and Obi Wan Kenobi to walk through the bazaar.

Quote:
I was kind of surprised when the Doctor had to translate some of the growling/barking aliens to Clara; I thought the TARDIS was supposed to translate that on its own. Maybe the TARDIS has limitations on what it considers a language versus growling.
I was surprised about that, too. Although we have seen other instances of the Doctor speaking in the language of the aliens.

Quote:
I wasn't expecting the leaf mystery to be solved so quickly! (unless there's more to the story than what they told here.) It was nice to see a little of Clara's past, I'm curious if that will end up being important later - though it certainly didn't explain anything about how she's died multiple times. Maybe her mother will show up alive in a later episode. (Probably not, but it could happen)
I found this part of the show to be the most interesting. The Doctor seems to be fascinated by Clara's past and determined to figure out who she really is. From what we saw, she looks like a pretty normal person, with normal parents and a normal childhood. The mother of this Clara is not the same actress as the mother of Oswin from the Dalek episode. But both Oswin and Clara seem strongly connected to their mothers. I wonder if this mother-daughter thing is going somewhere.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson

Last edited by SusanBones; April 7th, 2013 at 12:58 pm.
Old April 7th, 2013, 5:34 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
There is no denying that the backdrop for this episode was gorgeous and this was a fun lighthearted adventure between the doctor and companion. That said I don't think they are anywhere near hitting their stride with Clara. They've raised a ton of questions and have made zero attempt to move forward in explaining them. I know Doctor Who loves questions and little answers but I felt like other than learning about Clara's parents they kind of avoided the issue at hand. Which is not to say that every episode needs to focus on Clara and her confusing unanswered and unexplainable past but I'd like a bit more information on her.

I was hoping the tombstone would give some clues but even that didn't seem to give much. I thought the dates might have something to do with Doctor Who years but it was 1960-2005. While 2005 is the year Doctor Who restarted the original started in 1963. /sigh Still waiting for more clues.

Quote:
The intergalactic market thing that they went to in the beginning totally reminded me of that cantina bar in Star Wars.
It definitely did. almost like the market in the chase scene from attack of the clones as well. Lots of similar looking aliens but it was a lot of fun

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie

Last edited by Spacecadet; April 7th, 2013 at 5:37 pm.
Old April 7th, 2013, 11:11 pm
Curse Breaker

I think that the chief thing to keep in mind about this story is that, yet again, a key plot and/or story point was memories.

I did like the reference to the Doctor's granddaugther. I think that is the first time he's mentioned her since the 5th Doctor!

Something about "memory" is going to be the key build up to the season's climax, and how Clara got fragmented through time. The Great Intelligence almost certainly is involved: and I would not be surprised if River is, too. And that leads me to wonder if SusanBone's observation about the importance of the mother figure being important: yes, Clara has been born to at least 3 mothers, but who is the mother of the "original?" What is the original, anyway? And is this tied to the Doctor's greatest secret?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television