Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Old December 31st, 2018, 4:07 pm
Zonko's Employee

Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Bohemian Rhapsody - 7/10 - mostly a lot of fun, plenty of laugh out loud moments, a bit too hagiographic (to be expected when the remaining members of Queen are the producers), lots of music, a few liberties to make a narrative, and a decent amount of tragedy.

Welcome to Marwen - 8/10 - very interesting, a little too neat in resolution, but very excellent use of the resources of film to present the internal dilemma of the man recovering from his trauma.

Here he is on a summer vacation trip to the Canary Islands with Fluffy, his second favorite dog.
Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2019, 10:05 pm
Ravenclaw Prefect

Finally got around to catching up on:

Incredibles 2--a fun sequel to a great movie, this movie has some really clever moments and good humor. It's a good movie for girl power--Elastigirl gets a chance to show off some really good smarts as well as inventive uses of her superpowers, and Violet shows a lot of growth in her abilities with her power as well as in a ramping up of her maturity and responsibility. Mr Incredible has a nice character arc as well, and Jack Jack, Dash and Edna have some great funny moments. Frozone gets some moments to shine, too, so there's some great spreading of the wealth. The story is solid, although as another review said, much of the first movie is undone by the setup to this one. Still, it's a decent plot without too many holes or obvious inconsistencies. Overall, a fun and good movie that I really enjoyed and look forward to seeing again.

Maze Runner: The Death Cure--a decent popcorn adventure flick despite the typical plot holes and classic "why did they do that" moments from several characters. I thought it was better put together than the Scorch Trials, but still consider the first Maze Runner film to be the best of the trilogy. The acting and effects are good, and it was definitely easy to spot the sequence where Dylan O'Brien was injured during filming; I give him credit for returning to finish the film considering the severity of his injuries. I don't love the ending; it's a little vague as regards finding and implementing the cure for the Flare virus, but the film overall was enjoyable, and the series as a whole was a decent adventure series despite some flaws.

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Back to COS, the Forum that Lived
Old February 11th, 2019, 1:48 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

The Greatest Showman--this was a very good movie! Good songs, good acting, and an engaging story. Hugh Jackman's PT Barnum is perhaps less "showy" than I would have imagined, but probably more realistic the way he was portrayed. The circus performers are very sympathetically done, and Barnum's daughters are adorable. I enjoyed this film a lot, and I expect that I'll be watching it again in the future. On a side note, it's a good film for the whole family--my 12 year old niece loves it.

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Back to COS, the Forum that Lived
Old February 13th, 2019, 9:49 pm
Curse Breaker

The Favorite--6.5/10. This feels really weird to me. A well-directed, well-acted, well shot film that just left me cold. Three excellent performances, but it felt like drinking exceptionally well-crafted poison.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old February 17th, 2019, 11:29 pm
Zonko's Employee

"Isn't it Romantic?" 5/10 It was okay, given that it is a set-up that allows for infinite plot holes that can be explained away by the premise. For me the best part was Jennifer Saunders in the opening sequence with her 'there are no happy endings for women like us' rant, in light of her Shrek II line 'ogres don't get happy endings.' I don't know if that parallel was deliberate, but I liked it. But from there the movie was downhill.

I also saw What Men Want. 6/10 I could criticize more things, but ... one, it is basically about lead character as an overcompetitive boor learning to not be one, so she was a male stereotype learning to not be one. I'll give credit for this, though, that what really turned her around was seeing that the guy she was interested in really wanted to be a great dad and have a stable loving trusting relationship. At least they flipped the script pretty thoroughly. And second, the product placement was overwhelming, and the product was Atlanta. I live in Atlanta metro and I like Georgia's recent prominence in the film industry, but it was pretty heavy.

Second Act - 3/10 - real yawner, mostly cringeworthy.

Here he is on a summer vacation trip to the Canary Islands with Fluffy, his second favorite dog.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion