Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Did Hermione get overlooked in Chamber of Secrets?

Old June 18th, 2007, 7:23 pm
Fifth Year

Did Hermione get overlooked in Chamber of Secrets?

I'm rereading Chamber of Secrets. In the end, Harry and Ron both get the Award for Special Services to the School for their part in defeating the basilisk. Hermoine gets jack. Yet, Hermione played a crucial role in solving the mystery; she figures out the monster is a basilisk and how it's getting around the school. On top of that, she also figures out why the other students got petrified instead of killed, and saves Penelope's life by giving her a mirror.

Why doesn't that qualify Hermione for the Special Awards? Does this show Dumbledore value bravery (Ron and Harry braving the spiders and boldly entering the chamber) over book smarts? Is Dumbledore a sexist?

Seriously, this is the most unfair thing since Chewbacca not getting the medal at the end of Star Wars: A New Hope.

Old June 18th, 2007, 8:51 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Hermione Got More Gypped than Chewbacca

I never noticed that before. Hermione did lots of work to stop the basilisk. She was the one studying it at the library while Ron and Harry were busy with Quidditch.

Maybe afterwards Harry and Ron explained what Hermione had done, and DD gave her an award too...

HIPPOGRIFF, n. An animal (now extinct) which was half horse and half griffin. The griffin as itself a compound creature, half lion and half eagle. The hippogriff was actually, therefore, a one-quarter eagle, which is two dollars and fifty cents in gold. The study of zoology is full of surprises.
- Ambrose Bierce
Old June 18th, 2007, 8:54 pm
Second Year

Well, uhh, I am sure that Dumbledore is not sexist. Hey, maybe Dumbledore let Hermione use a time-turner in her 3rd year as an award?

Old June 18th, 2007, 8:55 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlpostgirl View Post
I never noticed that before. Hermione did lots of work to stop the basilisk. She was the one studying it at the library while Ron and Harry were busy with Quidditch.

Maybe afterwards Harry and Ron explained what Hermione had done, and DD gave her an award too...
Yes, if it makes you feel better, I think we can all agree that, despite what the book tells us, Dumbledore did indeed give Hermione a Special Award as well...

Though, really, would you want a special award? Didn't they give one of those things to Voldemort?

Old June 18th, 2007, 8:59 pm
Second Year

Well I don't know about Hermione but I do know about Chewbacca. If you ever read the Han Solo trilogy you would know all about Chewbacca and how he owes a life debt to Han, this life debt is so important to him that it goes above all else, even his wife on Kashykk. He felt it was his duty to be with han and he wouldn't have wanted to accept the medal

this is baby E signing off
Old June 18th, 2007, 9:08 pm
Fifth Year

Well I suppose what they got the award for was actually going down into the Chamber of Secrets to save Ginny. The only reason Ron didn't go into the Chamber itself was because the wall fell down infront of him. He didn't run away but kept working at the rocks to get through and help Harry. He also went into the forset to find information from Aragog. Harry did tell Dumbledore about Hermione when he told the whole story.

If Hermione hadn't been petrified she would have gone too. But then again Fred and George would have gone too if they'd known what Harry and Ron were doing. She doesn't get an Award just because she would have gone to save Ginny's life if she'd been awake. Sorry.

And I don't think Dumbledore is sexist. Half the staff is female.

~TheInvisibleFiend~

Old June 18th, 2007, 9:32 pm
Second Year

But that doesn't explain it.
Hermione had done her part in saving Ginny. Without Hermione Harry and Ron never would have solved the mystery in time.

Old June 18th, 2007, 9:44 pm
Second Year

I'm going with TheInvisibleF on this one. (Of course, the movies gave me an anti-Hermione bias, so....) Yes, Hermione went to the library and found out the monster was a basilisk, which was a huge factor in solving the mystery around the Chamber of Secrets. But it was Harry and Ron who went further and completed the solving itself.

Old June 18th, 2007, 9:45 pm
First Year

Well, Ron and Harry did do a LOT of the problem solving on their own as well. Hermione just sort of gave clues to push them along. And Harry and Ron did just about all of the physical work as well.

BTW, I Love the Chewbacca parallel, that made me chuckle

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.

www.iqtest.com - My IQ: 142
Old June 18th, 2007, 9:50 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGrindelwald View Post
I'm rereading Chamber of Secrets. In the end, Harry and Ron both get the Award for Special Services to the School for their part in defeating the basilisk. Hermoine gets jack. Yet, Hermione played a crucial role in solving the mystery; she figures out the monster is a basilisk and how it's getting around the school. On top of that, she also figures out why the other students got petrified instead of killed, and saves Penelope's life by giving her a mirror.

Why doesn't that qualify Hermione for the Special Awards? Does this show Dumbledore value bravery (Ron and Harry braving the spiders and boldly entering the chamber) over book smarts? Is Dumbledore a sexist?

Seriously, this is the most unfair thing since Chewbacca not getting the medal at the end of Star Wars: A New Hope.
You have to admit that while Hermione was smart enough to figure all this out, she wasn't smart enough to avoid looking the basilisk in the eyes. She had a mirror in her hand and everything, and still got blasted by the beast.

What I would like to know is why didn't the basilisk bite any of the people he petrified?

:: POTTERMORE INFO ::
NAME: CloakWing
HOUSE: Gryffindor
WAND: Cypress, 13 3/4 in., Phoenix Feather Core, Surprisingly Swishy
Old June 18th, 2007, 9:59 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID824 View Post
You have to admit that while Hermione was smart enough to figure all this out, she wasn't smart enough to avoid looking the basilisk in the eyes. She had a mirror in her hand and everything, and still got blasted by the beast.
Hermione did use the mirror - it was the reason she didn't get killed.

HIPPOGRIFF, n. An animal (now extinct) which was half horse and half griffin. The griffin as itself a compound creature, half lion and half eagle. The hippogriff was actually, therefore, a one-quarter eagle, which is two dollars and fifty cents in gold. The study of zoology is full of surprises.
- Ambrose Bierce
Old June 19th, 2007, 1:37 pm
Third Year

Re: Did Hermione get overlooked in Chamber of Secrets?

She was petrified at the time and didn't help with the dangerous part, thats why she didn't get the special award. Even when she woke up I remember her saying to Ron and Harry, "You solved it!" so I don't think she necessarily qualified for an award even though her research was undoubtably helpful.

Old June 19th, 2007, 2:49 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by giwdeh View Post
But that doesn't explain it.
Hermione had done her part in saving Ginny. Without Hermione Harry and Ron never would have solved the mystery in time.
Yes it does *goes off in a sulk*. Her research, brainpower, and reading meant she figured out what was happening. She didn't go to Madam Pince, who I have never heard tell of at a Quidditch match, but ran out of the library. She warned Penelope Clearwater but they still managed to get petrified. Hermione herself obviously didn't feel she was overlooked/gypped if she ran over saying "You solved it!"
She recognised that they risked their lives.

~TheInvisibleFiend~

Last edited by TheInvisibleF; June 19th, 2007 at 2:49 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old June 19th, 2007, 3:28 pm
Seventh Year

Well she didn't seem as tho she wasn't getting any credit out of it. harry and ron were the ones who went down to the chamber, but i'm sure hremione would have too if she weren't pertified. ron and harry also got 200 house points a piece, but it doesn't say whether hermione does as well. harry does tell them how she figured it out when he is explaining to dumbledore after coming out fo the chamber................hhmm i don't think she really cared

''Dear Professor Snape,
Dude...It's called Shampoo.
Love Anomoulous xX''

Ways to Annoy Snape...Wink at him evertime you catch his eye

Come and Guess The Screenshot!!! http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=110197
Old June 19th, 2007, 3:37 pm
Zonko's Employee

I agree that she probably deserved more than she got, but Harry and Ron did more than just solve who opened the Chamber. They risked life and limb to rescue Ginny. One could argue that Ron would have done it anyway because she was his sister, but Fred/George and Percy didn't. They sat in the common room waiting for their parents to arrive.

Technically you could say that Ron didn't deserve his award because he didn't actually do anything, it was all Harry.

Maybe the information about the pipes that Hermione had found out, and the fact that she realised it was a basilisk didn't actually feature in any version of events.

Mrs Weasley set the potion down on the bedside cabinet, bent down, and put her arms around Harry. He had no memory of ever being hugged like this, as though by a mother. The full weight of everything he had seen that night seemed to fall in upon him as Mrs Weasley held him to her. His mother's face, his father's voice, the sight of Cedric, dead on the ground, all started spinning in his head until he could hardly bear it, until he was screwing up his face against the howl of misery fighting to get out of him
Old June 19th, 2007, 4:23 pm
Second Year

She did play a valuable role but she doesn't deserve an award for figuring out it was a basilisk doing the attacks. Harry and Ron risked thier LIVES to save ginny. Now Im not saying she wouldn't either but she was petrified. Plus Harry and Ron found out a lot by themselves. They found out it was in Moaning Myrtle's bathroom and everything, and about the spiders. And they put Hermiones clues together also.

Old June 19th, 2007, 4:39 pm
Fifth Year

Hmmm...she did do a lot, even if she didn't risk her life - risking your life isn't what gets you an award...Tom Riddle got one and he just snitched on Hagrid!

"Six years ter the day since we met, Harry, d'yeh remember it?"
"Vaguely...didn't you smash down the front door, give Dudley a pig's tail and tell me I was a wizard?"
"I forge' the details."

Old June 19th, 2007, 4:51 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I'm sure Dumbledore didn't leave her out deliberately, it's just that Ron and Harry were there. Perhaps he gave her an award at a later date?

Old June 19th, 2007, 5:27 pm
Second Year

She was frozen and in the hospital. she did give harry the key but it was ron and harry who went down to the chamber.

She would have gotten a special award too if she could go. Hermoine would have only been embaressed to receive it - although it would have been a good rub in Malfoy's face.

Eventually it was just harry

Didnt she get an award or award points in SS?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke
Old June 19th, 2007, 5:35 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DADAteacher View Post
Didnt she get an award or award points in SS?
Yes, she did get points in SS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInvisibleF
If Hermione hadn't been petrified she would have gone too. But then again Fred and George would have gone too if they'd known what Harry and Ron were doing. She doesn't get an Award just because she would have gone to save Ginny's life if she'd been awake. Sorry.
True. However, Hermione did help out figuring out about the basilisk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahner13
Though, really, would you want a special award? Didn't they give one of those things to Voldemort?
Yep, good point!

And who is to say that Hermione didn't get anything! Hermione got to use the time-turner in the third year, didn't she? I would consider that to be a reward. You don't see other students going back in time to do work. She could have gotten something from DD without us knowing too.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives