Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

Dumbledore's House

Old August 9th, 2007, 7:38 pm
First Year

Dumbledore's House

I don't recall much conversation, but I am fairly certain that he would be a Gryffindor. However, this was established before the revelations of Deathly Hallows.

With the information presented in DH about Dumbledore's obsession with power... unless he chose on his own, wouldn't it have been a bigger chance of him being a Slytherin? I would like to know others thoughts on this.

Sorry, must've put it in the wrong forum

Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2007, 8:44 pm
First Year

Re: Dumbledore's House

i think that considering we are told so much about dumbledore intelligence and acceptance into the elite societys of those who he could learn from that he may have been in ravenclaw, because he did not show much sign of particular courage etc, especially concernin his family.

Old August 9th, 2007, 8:52 pm
Second Year

I think that in the first book when we first see Hermione, she says something like "I hope I'm in Griffendor, from what people have been saying it's the best, I hear even Dumbledore himself was in it!" And he's identified with Griffendor through the rest of the series.

Maybe it's another mistake of the Sorting Hat's like Peter Pettigrew being in Griffendor. Or maybe the Sorting Hat was going to put him in Slytherin or Ravenclaw but Dumbledore asked it to put him in Griffendor because his family might have been historically Griffendors (that would be a nice parallel with Harry asking the same thing!). Or maybe he was plenty brave in ways we haven't heard about. Or maybe he was also a victim of, as he tells Snape, 'sorting too soon'.

Old August 9th, 2007, 9:00 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by member_of_SPEW View Post
I think that in the first book when we first see Hermione, she says something like "I hope I'm in Griffendor, from what people have been saying it's the best, I hear even Dumbledore himself was in it!" And he's identified with Griffendor through the rest of the series.

Maybe it's another mistake of the Sorting Hat's like Peter Pettigrew being in Griffendor. Or maybe the Sorting Hat was going to put him in Slytherin or Ravenclaw but Dumbledore asked it to put him in Griffendor because his family might have been historically Griffendors (that would be a nice parallel with Harry asking the same thing!). Or maybe he was plenty brave in ways we haven't heard about. Or maybe he was also a victim of, as he tells Snape, 'sorting too soon'.
I was going to say exactly the same, i saw taht too on book 1. Although i will have to disagree (no with you but with the on after you) with Dumblodre no being brave. He was really brave in the fight at the MoM in OotP, and in that cave in HBP. I think he deserved being in Gryffindor. Or Ravanclaw would have suited him

Old August 9th, 2007, 9:05 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherStory View Post
I don't recall much conversation, but I am fairly certain that he would be a Gryffindor. However, this was established before the revelations of Deathly Hallows.

With the information presented in DH about Dumbledore's obsession with power... unless he chose on his own, wouldn't it have been a bigger chance of him being a Slytherin? I would like to know others thoughts on this.

Sorry, must've put it in the wrong forum
That's what I thought too... he probably told the Sorting Hat "not Slytherin" -- like what both Harry and Sirius did .

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old August 9th, 2007, 9:18 pm
Banned

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if you really want to be in a certain house then the hat listens. Harry said he didn't want Slytherin and the hat listened. I also think the hat sees things in people they don't realize are there. Like Longbottom being in the house for bravery and courage. Who would have looked at him his 1st year and say Gryffindor. As far as Dumbeldore I have no idea. I has traits that fit into all of the houses.

Old August 9th, 2007, 9:19 pm
Second Year

I think he's more Slytherin/Ravenclaw.

But it's been confirmed he's Gryffindor.

Old August 9th, 2007, 9:56 pm
First Year

who confirmed it?
I think it would be amusing if after all this time we discovered he was in Slytherin.... the life and lies of Albus Dumbledore - he told everyone he was in Gryfindor and put a confundus charm on Doge and made everyone believe but Rita Skeeter used the amazing powers of legilimency to get the true memories and discovered the truth....
I honestly think he was in either Gryfindor or Ravenclaw but that would have been a strange plot-twist to discover!
Again... my mind runs away with me!!!

Old August 9th, 2007, 10:18 pm
Rex's Mummy

As previously mentioned, Hermione says in PS/SS that Dumbledore wa in Gryffindor. I think he's one of those people who would fit well into pretty much any house. Pefore DH, most people would have thought he would have gone well in Gryffindor, Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff, but not Slytherin, but we see now that he could have fit there as well.

I think that when he came as a first year, he didn't have many of the ideas that he later developed/showed during his friendship with Grindlewald, so the Dorting Hat, while it may have considered Slytherin, would not have seen it as the dominating house. But isn't it strange that the more we see of them, the more we come to realize that Dumbledore, whom many originally thought was a true Gryffindor, really fit into Slytherin, while the one many thought was a true Slytherin, being Snape, really could have been in Gryffindor. Maybe they really do sort too soon.

Meet Ziggy!!!!
(aka Mali)
Old August 9th, 2007, 10:29 pm
Secret Keeper

He was in Gryffindor. I never saw him as particularly brave, but he should be in Ravenclaw.

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old August 9th, 2007, 10:37 pm
Fourth Year

I think he could be pretty much in any house. Even considering the revelations DH that shows some Slytherin characteristics, we cannot forget that he had others too that could make him suitable to the other houses. Also I don;t think that he had the characteristics showed in DH when he was only eleven years old.

Old August 9th, 2007, 11:24 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Member of Slew
Maybe it's another mistake of the Sorting Hat's like Peter Pettigrew being in Griffendor.
That would suggest that the Sorting Hat is wrong, which could lead into a new discussion. But I believe the sorting hat is always right. Pettigrew was in Gryffendor because of his courage. He had enough courage to weasel around with the Weasleys. He had enough courage to find Voldemort and bring him back even though it would have been the entire wizarding world vs. him.

As we learned from DH, in the youthful years of Dumbledore (and, indeed while at Hogwarts) he wanted nothing more than to surround himself with the best of wizards. Slytherins are typically more destined to be better wizards, regardless of their allegiance. And the whole ideals of Slytherins = Death Eaters were absent during Dumbledore's time at Hogwarts.

Especially in his youth, I don't see Dumbledore as brave, or surpassingly courageous. He ran from his fear of power. Locked himself in Hogwarts and his room when his sister needed care. He attempted to segregate himself from the hardships of his life.

Tom Riddle also would have been suitable for Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff to.

Old August 9th, 2007, 11:41 pm
Second Year

^Tom Riddle is the epitome of a Slytherin.

Definitely not a hufflepuff. He isn't kind and hardworking or loyal.

Old August 9th, 2007, 11:47 pm
Renegade

Dumbledore was a Gryffindor. We learn that in Sorcerer's Stone.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old August 9th, 2007, 11:51 pm
Secret Keeper

The only actual brave thing I thought Dumbledore had done was duel Grindelwald

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old August 9th, 2007, 11:53 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
That would suggest that the Sorting Hat is wrong, which could lead into a new discussion. But I believe the sorting hat is always right. Pettigrew was in Gryffendor because of his courage. He had enough courage to weasel around with the Weasleys. He had enough courage to find Voldemort and bring him back even though it would have been the entire wizarding world vs. him.

As we learned from DH, in the youthful years of Dumbledore (and, indeed while at Hogwarts) he wanted nothing more than to surround himself with the best of wizards. Slytherins are typically more destined to be better wizards, regardless of their allegiance. And the whole ideals of Slytherins = Death Eaters were absent during Dumbledore's time at Hogwarts.

Especially in his youth, I don't see Dumbledore as brave, or surpassingly courageous. He ran from his fear of power. Locked himself in Hogwarts and his room when his sister needed care. He attempted to segregate himself from the hardships of his life.

Tom Riddle also would have been suitable for Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff to.
You think that hiding and preserving his own life is brave? I don't see how living as a pet is courageous. And Wormtail didn't find Voldemort out of bravery, he found him out of cowardice, so that Voldemort would protect him now that he'd been outed. I think the hat was dead wrong about him if the hat is the one that chose. But he probably begged the hat to put him in Gryffindor.

Slytherins weren't known as Death Eaters before, but they were still known as the Darkest house. I completely disagree that Slytherin turned out better wizards than the other houses unless "better" means more apt to use the Dark Arts.

As for Dumbledore, I'm sure that's up to interpretation, but he could hardly be expected to take responsibility for his sister while at Hogwarts and while their mother still cared for her.

I think he exemplified courage in standing up for those who couldn't stand up for themselves, particularly Muggles. He was also brave in the same sense that Harry was brave, in accepting death.

Old August 10th, 2007, 12:34 am
Third Year

Quote:
That would suggest that the Sorting Hat is wrong, which could lead into a new discussion. But I believe the sorting hat is always right.
I believe JKR said that the Sorting Hat is always right. However, I think that the Sorting Hat is blind to the prejudices that people may have about the Houses. Thus, the perception that Gryffindor rush blindly in with brawn instead of thinking things through, that Slytherin are evil, that Hufflepuff are boring, that Ravenclaw are nerds...(okay, I'm inventing that one, because I can remember no negative characterization of Ravenclaw)...those things are not what the Sorting Hat considers. Instead, it does judge 'purely'.

Old August 10th, 2007, 1:51 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowPoofBall View Post
You think that hiding and preserving his own life is brave? I don't see how living as a pet is courageous.
Wormtail has always been a "pet". Even while in human form he was fine with subordination.
Since when is the will to live cowardly? By that, Harry grabbing the port-key to flee from Voldemort is cowardly. By that, Harry hiding in the forest, and various other locations, is cowardly. By that, maintaining refuge at the Dursleys is cowardly.

Quote:
And Wormtail didn't find Voldemort out of bravery, he found him out of cowardice, so that Voldemort would protect him now that he'd been outed.
I am not too sure about the Wormtail expedition to find Voldemort time-line. But, you're probably right about that.

Quote:
I think the hat was dead wrong about him if the hat is the one that chose. But he probably begged the hat to put him in Gryffindor.
I highly doubt the hat would listen to Wormtail. I do not get the feeling that the hat could be persuaded by every wizard...

Quote:
Slytherins weren't known as Death Eaters before, but they were still known as the Darkest house. I completely disagree that Slytherin turned out better wizards than the other houses unless "better" means more apt to use the Dark Arts.
Maybe "better" wasn't quite the right word. But Dumbledore was obviously intrigued, very much so, by the dark arts.

As for Dumbledore, I'm sure that's up to interpretation, but he could hardly be expected to take responsibility for his sister while at Hogwarts and while their mother still cared for her.

Quote:
I think he exemplified courage in standing up for those who couldn't stand up for themselves, particularly Muggles. He was also brave in the same sense that Harry was brave, in accepting death.
Who says muggles can't stand up for themselves (. Salazaar shows courage in that sense too, by standing up for pure-bloods.. a dying breed. His death was inevitable, as Snape told him he only had a short amount of time to live. Is accepting the inevitable brave? Don't forget, he changed a lot through his life... more than any character.

But don't get me wrong, I like Dumbledore and I am no trying to tell people that they should think the way I do. I am just making a debatable topic, and yes, fueling it. My personal opinion on the subject has yet to have been stated. I just want to try out all the opinions of others.

Last edited by AnotherStory; August 10th, 2007 at 1:53 am.
Old August 10th, 2007, 4:42 am
Second Year

I think we can just about agree that Dumbledore was in Gryffindor, as Hermione says in PS (when is Hermione ever wrong?), but I think that people set far too much store by the Houses. Dumbledore practically says so himself - "sometimes I think we sort too soon" - and doesn't Snape prove that, contrary to what Phineas Nigellus says, that, given the choise, Slytherins will not always opt to save their own skins? Plus not too many people would count Wormtail among "the brave at heart" with "daring, nerve, and chivalry". It seems clear to me that you can't assume that a person will possess particular attributes just because they belong to a certain house.

Proud to be a Ravenclaw!
Old August 12th, 2007, 12:31 am
Second Year

I think the best point made was that he fits perfectly into EVERY house. Thechnically he was in Griffindor, that's cannon. I think, however that he truely is all four combined. Its like in reality, all human beings are made up of many characterists, not just one. Dumbledore is the personification of just how complicated human nature really is.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone