Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

The Creature at King's Cross



View Poll Results: Check all that apply
The creature was the piece of Voldemort's soul that made Harry a Horcrux. 271 55.53%
The creature was Voldemort's actual soul from his body in the forest. 204 41.80%
The creature is something else or a symbolic idea or combination of his soul pieces. 53 10.86%
Voldemort's fall in the forest is unrelated to the creature or the blood bond 16 3.28%
Voldemort's fall in the forest is related to the creature in King's Cross. 176 36.07%
Voldemort's fall in the forest is related to the blood bond. 116 23.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old September 20th, 2007, 3:12 am
wandrider  Male.gif wandrider is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4687 days
Location: Hunting Snorkack with Luna ;-)
Posts: 401
Re: The Creature at King's Cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleurduJardin View Post
I still don't quite see how "remorse" at the last moment would have redeemed Tom Riddle and would be grateful if someone explained it to me, thanks.
Here's some interesting thoughts from JKR after DH explaining more about remorse . . .

Notice she uses the words redemption, hope, and repent. These could play a role in the analysis of this topic.

The word 'hope' is used in that important quote from DD in KC.

“He took your blood believing it would strengthen him. He took into his body
a tiny part of the enchantment your mother laid upon you when she died for
you. His body keeps her sacrifice alive, and while that enchantment survives,
so do you and so does Voldemort’s one last hope for himself.”

MV: Why was it important to you, Jo, to write about the cruelty and inhumanity?

JKR: I'm not sure why. But it was what I wanted to write about most. And it's about choice. And you are shown that Voldemort. Ummm... I suppose we're going to call him a psychopath. But he's so, in many ways, he is what he is and he's beyond redemption. Although this being Harry Potter and because I can take liberties because I have magic in my world, it is shown at the very end of the book that he did have a chance for redemption because he had taken into his body this-- this drop of hope or love--

MV: Harry's blood.

JKR: Right. So that meant that if he could have mustered the courage to repent, he would have been okay. But, of course, he wouldn't. And that's his choice. But the people around him, that's what's more interesting in a way. The people who were drawn to evil for protection, for power, sadism. But people who do have a choice, who did make a choice, like the Malfoys of this world. And I think that's always worth examining why people choose to make those decisions.
===

Some words related to redemption are: recovery; retrieval; rescue; deliverance; delivery; saving.


Luna blessings...


__________________


He closed Lily's green eyes and only felt the burning love of all... is well, their shining star.






Dumbledore . . . Personally, I've Never Had Much Time for Heroes

It's not your choices Severus, it's your hair . . . Not! so! A l b u s . . . It's your b e a r d.



SigPic Wizardry done by Kala-Way
Luna Blessings for You & Yours & Everyone!

Last edited by wandrider; September 20th, 2007 at 3:18 am.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #62  
Old September 20th, 2007, 6:26 am
LotusFawkes  Female.gif LotusFawkes is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 5720 days
Location: 12 Grimmauld Place, MN
Posts: 159
Re: The Creature at King's Cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleurduJardin View Post
I still don't quite see how "remorse" at the last moment would have redeemed Tom Riddle and would be grateful if someone explained it to me, thanks.
Perhaps it's not about putting pieces back together. Perhaps its about understanding the value of life beyond one's own. Perhaps, as many science fiction writers have explored, it is about learning what it means to be fully human and not merely a two-legged animal that kills for pleasure.

As Dumbledore says to Harry, "If he could only have understood the precise and terrible power of that sacrifice, he would not, perhaps, have dared to touch your blood... But then, if he had been able to understand, he could not be Lord Voldemort, and might never have murdered at all." (p. 710)

The hallmark of a human being is the ability to commiserate, to feel empathy. Without that, there is no "humanity" in the person. If Voldemort could have mustered even some remorse for what he had done, I'm not sure how JKR would have explained it, but I do believe there is more to this ancient magic of love than we can possibly know. I would like to believe if Voldemort would have felt even some remorse, it would have been sufficient to heal enough of the damage he had done and be given the choice to "move on." But as it was, he had no humanity, no fellow-feeling, and remorse was beyond his capability.


__________________

I'm a Ravenclaw!
Brains count first for you. Making judgements without intellectual justification is prejudice and ignorance.

10", Willow, Veela
Willow: you care deeply about emotions, art, and intuition, and have a knack for charms. Veela hair: slightly unpredictable but very powerful.

Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old September 20th, 2007, 6:38 am
MHPFAN's Avatar
MHPFAN  Female.gif MHPFAN is offline
BANNED... No really they are...
 
Joined: 5127 days
Location: Telemetry Floor...
Posts: 1,543
Re: The Creature at King's Cross

I say it's what was a part of Voldemort that lived in Harry. When Voldy cast the Avada Kedavra curse (which, I'm sure that's what it was) it left Harry's body. It's reminiscent of when Voldemort was first vapor, and not quite a person/human/soul.


__________________
Because all it takes is a ready mind, a steady heart, and a determined attitude.
Proud Gryffindor!
Nursing Class of 2007!
ALL HAIL THE PIXIE QUEEN TINKIE!!
Mave, RN.
Winner of Happiest Hoggie Award (2011).
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old September 20th, 2007, 6:57 am
FleurduJardin  Female.gif FleurduJardin is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 5062 days
Location: Shuttling between Europe & US
Posts: 1,607
Re: The Creature at King's Cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHPFAN View Post
I say it's what was a part of Voldemort that lived in Harry. When Voldy cast the Avada Kedavra curse (which, I'm sure that's what it was) it left Harry's body. It's reminiscent of when Voldemort was first vapor, and not quite a person/human/soul.
I used to think so too, or at least balancing between that answer, and the one saying it's the whole of Voldemort's "reconstituted" soul. I now favor the latter answer.

P.S. I like your signature, it's quite clever and technically impressive.


Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old September 20th, 2007, 2:36 pm
wandrider  Male.gif wandrider is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4687 days
Location: Hunting Snorkack with Luna ;-)
Posts: 401
Re: The Creature at King's Cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
I tend to agree that Voldemort was not physically experiencing what Harry sees at King's Cross. I addition to that quote by Harry, Voldemort's manner after he wakes up from being unconscious indicates to me that he hadn't experienced being the flayed child: his voice is described as merely being cold, rather than being shaken in any way, which I think he would be if he'd actually experienced existing as the flayed child.
Want to know what Voldemort was doing and saying the instant he spoke after regaining awareness from falling unconscious momentarily? Here is LV without all the Harry self-talk thinking.

DH KC LV . . .

“That will do,” said Voldemort’s voice.

“I do not require assistance,” said Voldemort coldly,

You,” said Voldemort, and there was a bang and a small shriek of pain.
“Examine him. Tell me whether he is dead.”

“You see?” screeched Voldemort over the tumult. “Harry Potter is dead by
my hand, and no man alive can threaten me now! Watch! Crucio!”

“Now,” said Voldemort, “we go to the castle, and show them what has become
of their hero. Who shall drag the body? No—Wait—”


Luna blessings...


__________________


He closed Lily's green eyes and only felt the burning love of all... is well, their shining star.






Dumbledore . . . Personally, I've Never Had Much Time for Heroes

It's not your choices Severus, it's your hair . . . Not! so! A l b u s . . . It's your b e a r d.



SigPic Wizardry done by Kala-Way
Luna Blessings for You & Yours & Everyone!

Last edited by wandrider; September 20th, 2007 at 5:53 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old September 20th, 2007, 5:38 pm
purplehawk's Avatar
purplehawk  Female.gif purplehawk is offline
Renegade
 
Joined: 6149 days
Location: Buckeye Country
Age: 71
Posts: 28,771
Re: The Creature at King's Cross

Ah, but the quotes don't cover what's going on in his mind. Harry was right in thinking that Voldemort wasn't sure things had gone to plan. Personally, I bet he was scared to death in those first moments.


__________________



"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"


All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old September 20th, 2007, 6:18 pm
wandrider  Male.gif wandrider is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4687 days
Location: Hunting Snorkack with Luna ;-)
Posts: 401
Re: The Creature at King's Cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehawk View Post
Ah, but the quotes don't cover what's going on in his mind. Harry was right in thinking that Voldemort wasn't sure things had gone to plan. Personally, I bet he was scared to death in those first moments.
I suggest otherwise. Voldy was only concerned by the fact he fell unconscious. He knew the AK didn't work twice before, so he was *always* going to check the body to be sure. Twice before he knew Harry didn't die, but this time Harry appears dead. Voldemort is obviously unscathed unlike Harry, and he cracks the whip to have him checked.

And, if you want to believe Harry, then believe this too:

Harry had been expecting it, knew his body would not be allowed to remain unsullied upon the forest floor; it must be subjected to humiliation to prove Voldemort’s victory.

Harry does not think Voldemort is being sure he's dead or is afraid at this point, unlike numerous posts to the contrary, Harry knows Voldemort is the egomaniac bloodthirsty showman that he is. This is an act of humiliation and victory. It's the wizard form of cutting the head off and hanging it on a spear.

It's the primal act of a victor over his vanquished. "Drag the body."


Luna blessings...


__________________


He closed Lily's green eyes and only felt the burning love of all... is well, their shining star.






Dumbledore . . . Personally, I've Never Had Much Time for Heroes

It's not your choices Severus, it's your hair . . . Not! so! A l b u s . . . It's your b e a r d.



SigPic Wizardry done by Kala-Way
Luna Blessings for You & Yours & Everyone!
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old September 20th, 2007, 7:11 pm
LotusFawkes  Female.gif LotusFawkes is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 5720 days
Location: 12 Grimmauld Place, MN
Posts: 159
Re: The Creature at King's Cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehawk View Post
Ah, but the quotes don't cover what's going on in his mind. Harry was right in thinking that Voldemort wasn't sure things had gone to plan. Personally, I bet he was scared to death in those first moments.
I agree. Even as far back as GoF when Dumbledore tells Harry about what happened with the wands, Dumbledore tells Harry that Voldemort was more afraid than Harry was that night, but you'd never know it from Voldy's behavior because he would never let on that he was not the most powerful wizard, ever.


__________________

I'm a Ravenclaw!
Brains count first for you. Making judgements without intellectual justification is prejudice and ignorance.

10", Willow, Veela
Willow: you care deeply about emotions, art, and intuition, and have a knack for charms. Veela hair: slightly unpredictable but very powerful.

Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old September 20th, 2007, 7:14 pm
Artemis_Fowl_2's Avatar
Artemis_Fowl_2  Female.gif Artemis_Fowl_2 is offline
Hogsmeade's Worst Icon Maker
 
Joined: 5176 days
Location: Secret Lair
Posts: 1,005
Re: The Creature at King's Cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusFawkes View Post
I agree. Even as far back as GoF when Dumbledore tells Harry about what happened with the wands, Dumbledore tells Harry that Voldemort was more afraid than Harry was that night, but you'd never know it from Voldy's behavior because he would never let on that he was not the most powerful wizard, ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehawk View Post
Ah, but the quotes don't cover what's going on in his mind. Harry was right in thinking that Voldemort wasn't sure things had gone to plan. Personally, I bet he was scared to death in those first moments.
I agree. Voldemort would not show it to his Death Eaters but he does not know why he was knocked out so my guess is that he is scared.


__________________
Submit to me!
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old September 20th, 2007, 7:57 pm
wandrider  Male.gif wandrider is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4687 days
Location: Hunting Snorkack with Luna ;-)
Posts: 401
Re: The Creature at King's Cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehawk View Post
Ah, but the quotes don't cover what's going on in his mind. Harry was right in thinking that Voldemort wasn't sure things had gone to plan. Personally, I bet he was scared to death in those first moments.
This is all, wary and suspicious, Harry thinks about what LV thinks, which, btw, is guessing what LV thinks . . .

. . . Voldemort was wary of approaching him, that Voldemort suspected that all had not gone to plan. . . .

This is *not* surprising to Voldemort. It's the charm of three times now.

Fear? Let's see?

First time: Vapormort

Second time: Draw

Third time: Harry appears to be dead.

LV might have fallen unconscious briefly, but he comes back unscathed. Harry did absorb the very painful brunt of an AK. Voldy is standing and Harry is not within seconds.

Fear? Not much reason to have fear but for a brief moment. Yes, but, he also knows he's in control near the moment he awakes, since he is alive and Harry is lifeless on the ground.

I'd say there's some fear from his past experiences in the act of killing Harry, and that fear is mainly contained within the idea of those past uncertainties. That is simply *normal* precautionary fear and not a freak-out show.

Had LV been in KC and known it he would have been a completely different Voldemort. He would have been a freak-out show ritually destroying Harry's body to hide his fear from the others. Sociopath killers relish such challenges and lose their fear in the act of it too.

This is where some logic applied further begins to sieve for fewer possibilities, because this is then reduced by the fact in HP'verse all souls, ghosts, and portrait people have mind-function and full awareness in the hereafter.

That's canon. It's interesting that some ideas will suggest Voldemort's fate has no mind function or understanding or awareness of his past, present, or is continuing to know that. Why? (Answer below.) LV has the same 1/8 soul that had the same mind-function in the Great Hall.

Canon says that mind-function does not change between life and death.

Why are some ideas suggesting otherwise?

To fit their theory?


Luna blessings...


__________________


He closed Lily's green eyes and only felt the burning love of all... is well, their shining star.






Dumbledore . . . Personally, I've Never Had Much Time for Heroes

It's not your choices Severus, it's your hair . . . Not! so! A l b u s . . . It's your b e a r d.



SigPic Wizardry done by Kala-Way
Luna Blessings for You & Yours & Everyone!

Last edited by wandrider; September 20th, 2007 at 8:29 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old September 20th, 2007, 8:29 pm
Artemis_Fowl_2's Avatar
Artemis_Fowl_2  Female.gif Artemis_Fowl_2 is offline
Hogsmeade's Worst Icon Maker
 
Joined: 5176 days
Location: Secret Lair
Posts: 1,005
Re: The Creature at King's Cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandrider View Post
He might have fallen unconscious briefly, but he comes back unscathed. Harry did absorb the very painful brunt of an AK. Voldy is standing and Harry is not within seconds.

Fear? Not much reason to have fear but for a brief moment. Yes, but, he also knows he's in control near the moment he awakes, since he is alive and Harry is lifeless on the ground.

I'd say there's some fear from his past experiences in the act of killing Harry, and that fear is mainly contained within the idea of those past uncertainties. That is simply *normal* precautionary fear and not a freak-out show.

Had LV been in KC and known it he would have been a completely different Voldemort. He would have been a freak-out show ritually destroying Harry's body to hide his fear from the others. Sociopath killers relish such challenges and lose their fear in the act of it too.

This is where some logic applied further begins to sieve for fewer possibilities, because this is then reduced by the fact in HP'verse all souls, ghosts, and portrait people have mind-function and full awareness in the hereafter.

That's canon. It's interesting that some ideas will suggest Voldemort's fate has no mind function or understanding or awareness of his past, present, or is continuing to know that. Why? He has the same 1/8 soul that had the same mind-function in the Great Hall.

Canon says that mind-function does not change between life and death.

Why are some ideas suggesting otherwise?

To fit their theory?


Luna blessings...
We do not know about Voldemort's level of consciousness when he was knocked out. We don't know what is in his mind. He very well may have experienced being the helpless creature in King's Cross who couldn't tell where he was or what was going on.

You claim he would have been freaked out but I don't think he would act that way in front of his Death Eaters. Yes, he would be freaked out, he just wouldn't show it to his followers. I think he didn't destroy Harry's body at the time because he wanted to show it to everyone to prove his superiority.

You say all souls have mind function that doesn't change from when they were alive so I would like to know where you got that idea. Personally I wish I could memorize the books so I wouldn't always have so many questions! Sometimes I miss the obvious so please understand why I am asking! But, I don't really think we know that that is always the case.


__________________
Submit to me!

Last edited by Artemis_Fowl_2; September 20th, 2007 at 8:34 pm. Reason: I want to make sure I'm not being rude.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old September 20th, 2007, 8:31 pm
snapegirl's Avatar
snapegirl  Female.gif snapegirl is offline
Dr Mrs The Monarch
 
Joined: 5416 days
Location: Spinner's End
Age: 43
Posts: 1,861
Re: The Creature at King's Cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandrider View Post
This is where some logic applied further begins to sieve for fewer possibilities, because this is then reduced by the fact in HP'verse all souls, ghosts, and portrait people have mind-function and full awareness in the hereafter.

That's canon. It's interesting that some ideas will suggest Voldemort's fate has no mind function or understanding or awareness of his past, present, or is continuing to know that. Why? He has the same 1/8 soul that had the same mind-function in the Great Hall.

Canon says that mind-function does not change between life and death.

Why are some ideas suggesting otherwise?

To fit their theory?


Luna blessings...
But, canon has never shown us anyone like Voldemort before. We have no way to judge exactly how a torn, damaged soul will react in a situation like King's Cross. We know that ghosts, portraits, etc keep the dead's personality. We also know horcruxes are very rare and few people have ever gone that far in Dark Magic. Nobody has ever made as many as Voldemort. Therefore, I think there is room to speculate about if (or what) that creature thing felt, saw or heard in King's Cross because we have nothing to compare it to.
I also think there is a clue in how Harry perceived time at King's Cross. He was having trouble telling how much time was passing while he was there. I think if Voldemort's soul was there also, it could have felt that only a second passed. So when Voldemort woke up in the forest after falling, maybe he really didn't remember much or anything. Maybe what he saw was a quick flash and didn't concern him much.
Either way, Voldemort remembering agony or nothing, I don't think he would have made his feelings clear to the Death Eaters in the forest.


Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old September 20th, 2007, 9:02 pm
mugglebeki  Female.gif mugglebeki is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 5417 days
Location: Island of Enchantment
Posts: 436
Re: The Creature at King's Cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleurduJardin View Post
I still don't quite see how "remorse" at the last moment would have redeemed Tom Riddle and would be grateful if someone explained it to me, thanks.
I'll give you my opinion on that with a quote from my own post:

"Harry sees what remains of Voldemort's soul and wants to help it, but is disgusted by it. That's why, when they confront each other in the Final Battle, Harry asks Voldemort to feel remorse, it is a last attempt to try to save him - it reminds me of the Christian belief that if you truly repent of all your sins and accept Christ as your Savior, you can be saved, even if you are in your deathbed." (post #19 of this thread)

Of course, this is my own personal point of view, but that's the way I see how remorse could have "redeemed" Voldemort, even this late in the series. Also, remember how Harry has these noble feelings, willing to sacrifice his own safety or his own feelings [toward Ginny, like at the end of HBP] for the sake of others.



Last edited by mugglebeki; September 20th, 2007 at 9:06 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old September 20th, 2007, 9:06 pm
Artemis_Fowl_2's Avatar
Artemis_Fowl_2  Female.gif Artemis_Fowl_2 is offline
Hogsmeade's Worst Icon Maker
 
Joined: 5176 days
Location: Secret Lair
Posts: 1,005
Re: The Creature at King's Cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugglebeki View Post
"Harry sees what remains of Voldemort's soul and wants to help it, but is disgusted by it. That's why, when they confront each other in the Final Battle, Harry asks Voldemort to feel remorse, it is a last attempt to try to save him - it reminds me of the Christian belief that if you truly repent of all your sins and accept Christ as your Savior, you can be saved, even if you are in your deathbed." (post #19 of this thread)

Of course, this is my own personal point of view, but that's the way I see how remorse could have "redeemed" Voldemort, even this late in the series.
That's exactly how I see it, too. Even someone as evil as Voldemort had a chance at redemption and in this case it was through feeling remorse.


__________________
Submit to me!
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old September 20th, 2007, 9:15 pm
mugglebeki  Female.gif mugglebeki is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 5417 days
Location: Island of Enchantment
Posts: 436
Re: The Creature at King's Cross

Thanks, Artemis, and we saw even he had his chance, but chose not to take it. Maybe DD knew Voldemort would not feel remorse, that's why he knew his soul was beyond help, but Harry had to try anyway.


Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old September 20th, 2007, 9:17 pm
wandrider  Male.gif wandrider is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4687 days
Location: Hunting Snorkack with Luna ;-)
Posts: 401
Re: The Creature at King's Cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis_Fowl_2 View Post
He very well may have experienced being the helpless creature in King's Cross who couldn't tell where he was or what was going on.
I would suggest this is not possible, because LV is soul-retarded not mind-retarded. That's the *baby* image that keeps resurfacing, imo, equating mind-function with the form he appears in. But child & creature are canon, not baby. Souls are marked by their entire life-cycle, and LV is marked with his lifetime fully functioning mind at AK death. He's also marked flayed, stunted, and formed child-creature. GoF creature could always think too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis_Fowl_2 View Post
You claim he would have been freaked out but I don't think he would act that way in front of his Death Eaters. Yes, he would be freaked out, he just wouldn't show it to his followers. I think he didn't destroy Harry's body at the time because he wanted to show it to everyone to prove his superiority.
Agreed. And, I would add it's because he was not mind-functioning in King's Cross. He wasn't there, but Harry saw him there another way. See post 3 for my suggested possibilities.

It's no problem for Voldemort to be a freak-show AND do it right for everyone involved had he known he was in KC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis_Fowl_2 View Post
You say all souls have mind function that doesn't change from when they were alive so I would like to know where you got that idea. Personally I wish I could memorize the books so I wouldn't always have so many questions! Sometimes I miss the obvious so please understand why I am asking! But, I don't really think we know that that is always the case.
That's easy. Every soul and ghost and portrait person in HP has full mind-function just as they had before dying and going to the hereafter. I did quote canon in the deleted thread, but, alas, it's gone. Harry saw and spoke with his soul family & soul friends, we know about the ghosts and portrait people too. LV was always thinking in every stage he had including Vapormort & GoF Creaturemort & 1/8th HorcruxSouls or 1/8th VoldySoul.

Mind-function and awareness is not destroyed in souls. Plus, I can't imagine JKR giving LV a free ticket out without mind-function and awareness???

That's hardly a fate worse than death personally for Lord Voldemort. That's a shocking gift to be just as good as dead without mind-function and awareness. That's a Trojan Horse Voldy would love to give to the reader.

One can debate otherwise, but I won't believe it. And, finally, I believe JKR has constructed her idea of the soul as something indestructible even LV's. His ugly-evil soul represents his lifetime & it still contains his ugly-evil mind-function of his lifetime too.

I do believe Harry saw Voldemort in the form described, but he was seeing it from his point of view and his version of Limbo. Harry was in a place for souls to decide death, so I just can't believe your arch enemy shows-up personally at the point of death too. Going to the white light of near death is to go to meet your soul guide or family or friends, right? It's Harry's private and personal 'party', so we know he does not invite the evil one to crash his party.

Plus, Voldemort has no personal business being there. He's not AK-d or rebound injured for death & couldn't be with Nagini anyway. LV has to tether Harry staying alive. His soul would tend to remain inside his body for such purposes.


Luna blessings...


__________________


He closed Lily's green eyes and only felt the burning love of all... is well, their shining star.






Dumbledore . . . Personally, I've Never Had Much Time for Heroes

It's not your choices Severus, it's your hair . . . Not! so! A l b u s . . . It's your b e a r d.



SigPic Wizardry done by Kala-Way
Luna Blessings for You & Yours & Everyone!

Last edited by wandrider; September 20th, 2007 at 10:11 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old September 20th, 2007, 9:46 pm
LotusFawkes  Female.gif LotusFawkes is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 5720 days
Location: 12 Grimmauld Place, MN
Posts: 159
Re: The Creature at King's Cross

What we know is that when Harry first wakes up in King's Cross, "He was not perfectly sure that he was there himself. A long time later, or maybe no time at all, it came to him that he must exist, must be more than disembodied thought, because he was lying, definitely lying, on some surface."

He discovers he has eyes and what he sees is like a bright mist, but it wasn't like a cloudy vapor that hid things, more like it just hadn't formed into anything yet.

He was expecting to die. He had the spirits of his mum, dad, Sirius, and Lupin with him when he went to face Voldemort and this gave him the courage to face his own death.

Voldemort, on the other hand, expects to kill Harry, to see the flash hit him and his body fall to the ground, lifeless. He does not expect anything else to happen.

But something else DOES happen and he too collapses into unconsciousness. Whether he ever awoke in the in-between world is not something we can truly know. I'm guessing, and its only a guess, that the creature must have been aware of something for when Harry first hears a noise reaching him through the unformed nothingness it is described as "the soft thumpings of something that flapped, flailed, and struggled. It was a pitiful noise, yet also slightly indecent. He had the uncomfortable feeling that he was eavesdropping on something furtive, shameful." (p. 706)

For it to have moved at all would, to me, indicate some level of awareness. At various points the text says that the creature trembled, that Harry was distracted by the whimpering and thumping of the agonized creature, that it jerked and moaned, and that it trembled and choked in the shadow beneath the chair. Given that Harry's perception of time is rather skewed, it is impossible to know how the creature perceived time, whether a momentary flash or a prolonged eternity.

Then, upon awakening in his own body again, I believe Voldemort would have shucked it off as quickly as possible secure in the knowledge that he was in fact not dead and never would be. His own arrogance would prevent anything else from penetrating his consciousness, not even a near-death experience which he would probably discount as not having happened at all since even Harry asked Dumbledore if what he experienced was real or just in his head.

IMO, this is what accounts for his lack of reaction to anything that he might have experienced in King's Cross.


__________________

I'm a Ravenclaw!
Brains count first for you. Making judgements without intellectual justification is prejudice and ignorance.

10", Willow, Veela
Willow: you care deeply about emotions, art, and intuition, and have a knack for charms. Veela hair: slightly unpredictable but very powerful.

Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old September 20th, 2007, 9:52 pm
LinnendeBlack's Avatar
LinnendeBlack  Female.gif LinnendeBlack is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 5611 days
Location: Liverpool, England
Age: 31
Posts: 1,395
Re: The Creature at King's Cross

To me the creature is just what is left of Voldemort's soul. A disgusting, deformed, evil and twisted-looking creature. This is basically a visual representation of what has become of Voldemort's soul after what he has done to it. Hence why Dumbledore says to Harry 'there is nothing we can do for that' or something like that. (I have leant my DH copy to my auntie so I can't remember the exact quote!)


__________________


~ Eric Northman ~

Because real vampires don't sparkle.

Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old September 20th, 2007, 10:47 pm
wandrider  Male.gif wandrider is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4687 days
Location: Hunting Snorkack with Luna ;-)
Posts: 401
Re: The Creature at King's Cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugglebeki View Post
"Harry sees what remains of Voldemort's soul and wants to help it, but is disgusted by it. That's why, when they confront each other in the Final Battle, Harry asks Voldemort to feel remorse, it is a last attempt to try to save him - it reminds me of the Christian belief that if you truly repent of all your sins and accept Christ as your Savior, you can be saved, even if you are in your deathbed." (post #19 of this thread)

Of course, this is my own personal point of view, but that's the way I see how remorse could have "redeemed" Voldemort, even this late in the series. Also, remember how Harry has these noble feelings, willing to sacrifice his own safety or his own feelings [toward Ginny, like at the end of HBP] for the sake of others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis_Fowl_2 View Post
That's exactly how I see it, too. Even someone as evil as Voldemort had a chance at redemption and in this case it was through feeling remorse.
There's no doubt JKR has blended some Christian ideas into DH, since she has admitted that much. The fact she specifically used "hope", "repent", and "redemption" directly related to LV showing remorse is hitting the target in the bullseye, imo.

Then we can debate what 'that' all means.

Ok, but, also, if you read that chapter FitP at the Great Hall Harry is definitely in control. Honestly, he seemed totally assured of himself, and he *knew* LV was not going to show remorse. He even used language and ideas that didn't try to deeply convince LV to choose otherwise. He gave LV the bare hard facts, without any emotional appeal, but I just didn't see Harry as LV's spiritual redeemer. We have no canon to show Harry was spiritually inclined or was ever that compassionate for LV.

Harry fills a symbolic role in that he had to offer the remorse, but I don't see it as some personal spiritual role from Harry's POV. Do you?

If LV had shown remorse I don't know if Harry could forgive him ever? Certainly not at that time. But Harry seemed to definitely know it wasn't going to happen anyway.

I guess this discussion is for the religious thread, instead.

Luna blessings...


__________________


He closed Lily's green eyes and only felt the burning love of all... is well, their shining star.






Dumbledore . . . Personally, I've Never Had Much Time for Heroes

It's not your choices Severus, it's your hair . . . Not! so! A l b u s . . . It's your b e a r d.



SigPic Wizardry done by Kala-Way
Luna Blessings for You & Yours & Everyone!

Last edited by wandrider; September 20th, 2007 at 11:36 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old September 20th, 2007, 11:11 pm
purplehawk's Avatar
purplehawk  Female.gif purplehawk is offline
Renegade
 
Joined: 6149 days
Location: Buckeye Country
Age: 71
Posts: 28,771
Re: The Creature at King's Cross

We have canon that Voldemort was fearful in the cemetery scene in GoF from Harry's observations. Later, in KC, Dumbledore also states that Voldemort was "more scared than you were that night." Harry also picks up on Voldemort's fear after the break-in at Gringotts, when he realizes Harry is attacking horcruxes. We see it in the narrative of their final duel. Remember the wand shaking in his hand moments before he cast his last AK?

So it's a given that Voldemort can experience fear. I think he was scared in the forest hollow that night. He didn't become gleesful until Narcissa said that Harry was dead.


__________________



"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"


All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

Bookmarks

Tags
albus dumbledore, creature, flayed baby, horcruxes, king's cross


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 2:59 am.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.