Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

Downton Abbey - contains spoilers for season 4

Old October 10th, 2012, 12:57 pm
Mrs Grawp

Re: Downton Abbey - (contains spoilers for season 3 - read at your own risk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupislune View Post
So, a few thoughts on last night's episode:

1. I rather like the direction of Edith's storyline. I hope that she becomes a writer and marries an editor or someone in "popular" society. It would greatly amuse me if she were to marry someone of society where she inherits a title that will outrank Mary's title in the future. I understand though that if not treated well, this storyline could end up being very silly.

2. I'm getting very tired of the Bates prison storyline. I'm hoping Fellows doesn't drag out his prison scenes to the end of the series (season).

3. The Irish Rebellion storyline seems trite almost in the way it is being treated. If he is going to have characters be involved with the Rebellion, Fellows should jump headfirst into the storyline, not treat it as a petulant child being sat in the corner.

4. More Daisy please.

5. I am curious if the episode is going to set up a stressed relationship between Robert and Matthew as Matthew has discovered that the estate is being run poorly and he wants to make modifications to it.

6. I am hoping that we have seen the last of the Ethel storyline, but given the preview for next episode, it doesn't seem that is going to be the case. That being said, however, I very much like Mrs. Hughes.

7. I think the person that dies in this series is either going to be Branson or Bates. I'm hoping for the latter only because I'm tired of the storyline, but that could change if his storyline changes.

1) Edit is becoming one of the most enjoyable parts of the show, specially after Sybil is deeply disappointing me.
2) Bates. So much agreed. It's boring to death.
3) Frankly, I'd be all for some Irish subplot, but unfortunately the only characters involved there are Branson, who is becoming deeply annoying and Sybil, who is now a meek wife and whose storyline is boring to depressing.
4) Yep. Daisy rocks

6) Ethel. I thought that scene was very sad. Also, as much as Isobel has her heart in the right place, she was being terribly bossy. You know, it's easy for her to say that love is the most important thing, from her priviledge situation. I'm agreeing with Mrs Hughes here, and I really hope Isobel starts to be a bit more open minded.
7) Can we kill both please? Bates for the bore and Branson for the annoying?

In addition, I'm not convinced with the new pretty footman.

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!

BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!
Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2012, 3:31 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by guad View Post
In addition, I'm not convinced with the new pretty footman.
o0o0o, That's right! I guess I did see next week's preview with Thomas and him (James?) Looks like Thomas might be getting a little comeuppance from O'Brien here in the next couple episodes...

(PS. Never thought I'd be rooting for O'Brien. )

Old October 12th, 2012, 9:54 pm
MODLY CREW

Potential major spoilers:

Spoiler: show
There have been rumours that the death this season is Lady Sybil. Not that her storyline so far has been dazzling, but I would hate for her to be written out just so that Branson gets to have a reason to stay at Downton.

Old October 12th, 2012, 10:01 pm
(Still) The Nicest Guy Ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
Potential major spoilers:

There have been rumours that the death this season is Lady Sybil. Not that her storyline so far has been dazzling, but I would hate for her to be written out just so that Branson gets to have a reason to stay at Downton.
I'm hoping that it is Bates that gets the chop.

EDIT: Okay something has been bugging me. In episode 4, why does Branson bang on the front door in lieu of ringing the bell? If he would have rang the bell, he could tell whomever answered the door to inform the others of his presence once dinner was over.

Check out TheDailyExcuse for icons, graphics, and additional exciting items!

No Vampires Included.....well maybe a few.

Occasionally you need to jump off a cliff and do things you know are not immediately within your grasp.

Last edited by lupislune; October 14th, 2012 at 6:09 pm.
Old December 9th, 2012, 12:26 pm
MODLY CREW

So the spoilers proved true. But then, they hadn't done anything interesting with Sybil's character since series two, so I wasn't too devastated. I could do without Branson being around though.

But now, Christmas special! I hope there are going to be some scenery shots because Scotland is sooooo beautiful. What do you think about Edith's suitor being nearby? Creepy and suspicious or romantic and determined?

Old December 10th, 2012, 1:41 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
So the spoilers proved true. But then, they hadn't done anything interesting with Sybil's character since series two, so I wasn't too devastated. I could do without Branson being around though.

But now, Christmas special! I hope there are going to be some scenery shots because Scotland is sooooo beautiful. What do you think about Edith's suitor being nearby? Creepy and suspicious or romantic and determined?
I was so sad about Sybil. I agree they hadnt done much with her character but I loved her character regardless.

Is this suitor her editor or someone else? I thought the whole interaction with her editor was quite interesting.

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Old December 11th, 2012, 8:40 pm
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
Is this suitor her editor or someone else? I thought the whole interaction with her editor was quite interesting.
It's the editor who's straight out of Jane Eyre, apparently.

Old December 23rd, 2012, 10:32 pm
MODLY CREW

Has anyone heard any more spoilers yet? I'm so excited to see the family up in Scotland.

Old December 27th, 2012, 4:59 am
Squee-worthy

Spoilers for the Christmas episode:
I am absolutely enraged that they killed off Matthew. I knew Dan Stevens wanted to leave the show. But throughout the entire episode with Branson falling in love with the maid I was thinking how the show just seemed to be repeating the same story lines with slight variations, and now we have another grandchild with only one parent. I guess Matthew served his purpose in producing an heir, but I feel like everything we've seen -- the courting between Matthew and Mary specifically -- was for nothing. I know this is a series about Downton specifically, but I always felt that Matthew (and Mary) were the central story, Matthew was the war hero, paralyzed, regained the ability to walk, finally married Mary, then had problems producing an heir. He was the center of everything 'upstairs' and I'm so perplexed and this just feels like something they had to do because Dan Stevens didn't want to stay on any longer, but I think the show will suffer for it not only because we already have Branson and Sybil's similar storyline but because the show has lost it's central focus. I honestly wonder if it wouldn't have just been better to end the show entirely after the birth of the heir with Downton being saved, then to kill off Matthew and produce another season. This may be a knee-jerk reaction, but this ruined any excitement I had for Series 4.

Last edited by Lord Godric; December 27th, 2012 at 5:07 am.
Old December 27th, 2012, 5:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Godric View Post
I am absolutely enraged that they killed off Matthew. I knew Dan Stevens wanted to leave the show. But throughout the entire episode with Branson falling in love with the maid I was thinking how the show just seemed to be repeating the same story lines with slight variations, and now we have another grandchild with only one parent. I guess Matthew served his purpose in producing an heir, but I feel like everything we've seen -- the courting between Matthew and Mary specifically -- was for nothing. This may be a knee-jerk reaction, but this ruined any excitement I had for Series 4.

I think they should have recast Matthew. There are too many instances of the same themes
I seriously question Fellowes justifications.

Occasionally you need to jump off a cliff and do things you know are not immediately within your grasp.
Old December 27th, 2012, 5:13 am
Squee-worthy

I edited my post to add this after you replied but:
I think if Dan Stevens really wanted to leave the show, they should have ended the show. There would have been plenty of closure for the entire series if Matthew and Mary produced an heir and Downton was saved. I would not have been disappointed to see the series end on that note. Instead, I think they are going to produce sub par seasons just to keep producing them now, and the show will not only lack focus but continue in formulaic trends. I hope I'm wrong, but I dunno...

Old December 28th, 2012, 5:48 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Godric View Post
I am absolutely enraged that they killed off Matthew. I knew Dan Stevens wanted to leave the show. But throughout the entire episode with Branson falling in love with the maid I was thinking how the show just seemed to be repeating the same story lines with slight variations, and now we have another grandchild with only one parent. I guess Matthew served his purpose in producing an heir, but I feel like everything we've seen -- the courting between Matthew and Mary specifically -- was for nothing. I know this is a series about Downton specifically, but I always felt that Matthew (and Mary) were the central story, Matthew was the war hero, paralyzed, regained the ability to walk, finally married Mary, then had problems producing an heir. He was the center of everything 'upstairs' and I'm so perplexed and this just feels like something they had to do because Dan Stevens didn't want to stay on any longer, but I think the show will suffer for it not only because we already have Branson and Sybil's similar storyline but because the show has lost it's central focus. I honestly wonder if it wouldn't have just been better to end the show entirely after the birth of the heir with Downton being saved, then to kill off Matthew and produce another season. This may be a knee-jerk reaction, but this ruined any excitement I had for Series 4.
OMG!!!!

[Insert string of expletives that COSforums would edit out - and invoke your inner sailor/truck-driver/major potty mouth to come up with those expletives]

I hate this. Hate it. I totally agree that Matthew and Mary felt like the central story of the entire show - it began with Matthew coming in as the heir apparent and then we had two seasons of them courting, falling in love but not being able to connect for one reason or another, then a season of them happy, in love, getting married... Now he's dead? Just like that??? Hate. It.

I also totally agree that I would rather have the show end on a high point then to kill Matthew and carry on spinning out episodes just to make money. I liked pretty much where all the stories were: Molsley finally cutting loose, O'Brien kind of finding a maid who was more foul than herself, Thomas and Jimmy starting a friendship, Bates and Anna married (and not in prison), Edith bucking the rules and maybe going after a man she loves, Branson finding his way through life as a member of the Upstairs party, Mrs. Crawley and the Doctor building more of a friendship, if not a romance, and Lord and Lady Grantham realizing that they've been so lucky to still be in love with each other after years and years of marriage.

Then to end it on such a bleeping bleep of a bleep-bleep moment by killing Matthew!! Ug! Hate it.

Old December 29th, 2012, 11:20 am
Sixth Year

Lord Godric, lupislune, Goddes_Clio... I couldn't have said it better myself.

It would have been better a great happy ending for everyone and just stop. This is carrying the 'Downton as a source of employment' topic just too far into real life.

Old December 31st, 2012, 2:30 pm
MODLY CREW

I would have been okay with a recast but also with Downton Abbey ending. It feels weird to imagine the series without Matthew, though not necessarily without Dan Stevens. It's just a bit disappointing that he couldn't be at all persuaded to stay on in some capacity, since he was allegedly offered reoccurring appearances instead of being a full cast member. Oh well, he has his reasons, I'm sure.

Overall, I liked it. Mary looked especially beautiful and she being an impatient pregnant woman felt right and true to her character. I enjoyed the unhappy-arranged marriage and a failed estate plot, too. Not sure about Branson and the maid - this felt a little too constructed.

Old December 31st, 2012, 9:23 pm
Rocket Scientist

All I can say is Downton Abbey what have you done???
do they seriously have to leave every child in this show with only one parent? I think that was a horrible choice to kill mathew and it felt to repetitive with sybil just having died. They couldn't have just left mary and mathew happy? I kept wondering why they hadn't named the child yet. Im guessing now his name will be mathew.

As for branson and the maid that definitely felt forced. It came out of nowhere. But other than those two plot points everything else was very well done. It will be interesting to see where they take things now.

Old December 31st, 2012, 9:35 pm
Registered Animagus

Yeah, the second the showed him driving i was so angry. I can't believe they did that. Mary and Matthew were the thing about this show i really liked. That sucks. I don't really care what they do from now on.

Old January 2nd, 2013, 7:23 pm
MODLY CREW

Well, since both actors wanted to leave the show, the writers did not have many options in regard to Sybil's and Matthew's fates. They could have written Sybil out, seeing that her marriage had taken her to Ireland, but with Matthew they could only have recast him, sent him to a remote post overseas or killed him off.

Old January 2nd, 2013, 8:00 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Well, since both actors wanted to leave the show, the writers did not have many options in regard to Sybil's and Matthew's fates. They could have written Sybil out, seeing that her marriage had taken her to Ireland, but with Matthew they could only have recast him, sent him to a remote post overseas or killed him off.
I agree. i think they had other options without doing a tragic repeat. I get that actors want to leave but that doesn't and shouldn't always equal killing them off.

Old January 14th, 2013, 2:05 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

You all can complain about how the season ends, but I'm annoyed by how it began. The whole Reggie Swires-losing Downton situation was so utterly contrived and unnecessary that I just said UGH!

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Old January 14th, 2013, 3:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul View Post
You all can complain about how the season ends, but I'm annoyed by how it began. The whole Reggie Swires-losing Downton situation was so utterly contrived and unnecessary that I just said UGH!
It was quite trite, I must agree. Triteness is a common theme this season.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television