Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

How did Dippet die

Old June 22nd, 2007, 3:17 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Did Lord Voldemort kill Headmaster Dippet?

Mods: feel free to delete or not approve; a search didn't turn up anything.

On to the topic: a simple question. Did Lord Voldemort kill Armando Dippett? In Half-blood Prince, Voldemort interviews for the DADA post soon after Dumbledore becomes headmaster. What if Lord Voldemort got the chain of events moving a bit; by killing Dippett in a way that appeared to be a natural death? Any thoughts?

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2007, 3:40 am
Fourth Year

Re: Did Lord Voldemort kill Headmaster Dippett?

why, he could charm Dippett
he couldn't with DD if Dippett was still head he would have got the job
so killing him would have cost him what he wanted(or arrered to want)

Old June 22nd, 2007, 3:53 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Re: Did Lord Voldemort kill Headmaster Dippet?

Voldemort might have wanted to create a job opening, and DD may not have been a sure bet for Headmaster. We have a vacuum of information from around then...though, as the events transpired, LV certainly would have miscalculated if he did kill Dippett.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Old June 22nd, 2007, 4:15 am
Second Year

I doubt it, because Dippet liked Tom Riddle as a student, and as such he would have been easier to manipulate into giving Tom a teaching position than Dumbledore was.

Old June 22nd, 2007, 4:39 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
Voldemort might have wanted to create a job opening, and DD may not have been a sure bet for Headmaster. We have a vacuum of information from around then...though, as the events transpired, LV certainly would have miscalculated if he did kill Dippett.
Voldemort probably would have known that Dumbledore would almost certainly be the replacement if Dippet died. At the time, Dumbledore was the deputy headmaster which meant that he was Dippet's second in command. The deputy headmaster would almost certainly be the first choice to replace a dead headmaster as McGonagall became headmistress after Dumbledore died.

Old June 22nd, 2007, 4:56 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: Did Lord Voldemort kill Headmaster Dippett?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel2099 View Post
why, he could charm Dippett
he couldn't with DD if Dippett was still head he would have got the job
so killing him would have cost him what he wanted(or arrered to want)
I agree with Daniel-- Voldemort was less likely to get the job with Dumbledore as Headmaster. He even said himself, in the memory, that Dumbledore never trusted him. Having Dippett alive would have been to his advantage.

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Old June 22nd, 2007, 5:16 am
First Year

I had the thought that it could have been Grindelwald that killed Dippet whilst fighting with DD I mean DD and Dippet go to get Grindelwald and Dippet dies in the fight and DD finishs him of Im just trying to figure out the time line that DD became head and Dippet died so go ahead and shoot me down .....It wouldnt be the first time....lol

Nope I was wrong.....Dippet died in 56....Disregard thus rubbish completly......

Last edited by Bob_Oggdon; June 22nd, 2007 at 5:19 am. Reason: Because I should look things up b4 writing things down !!!
Old June 22nd, 2007, 6:10 am
(Still) The Nicest Guy Ever.

I suppose that it is possible. One things comes to mind though. If Dumbledore is the only one Voldeomort feared, why would he wait until he came to power to ask for a job. Dippet would have been easier target to force him into getting a job, so I don't know about him getting rid of Dippet to make open the spot for Dumbledore to take his place.

Check out TheDailyExcuse for icons, graphics, and additional exciting items!

No Vampires Included.....well maybe a few.

Occasionally you need to jump off a cliff and do things you know are not immediately within your grasp.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 6:35 am
First Year

Mostly from a prior post.....

I think that we will find out that the Hogwarts horcrux (I think that it is the cup that there is still one in or around Hogwarts) was created when LV came back and killed Armando Dippet? Tom Riddle requested the post of Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher soon after graduating from Hogwarts. Armando Dippet did not give him the post, telling him that he was too young, and saying that Riddle might apply for the post again in a few years. LV does not like people to tell him no....more than enough reason to come back and kill him. The headmaster at Hogwarts ...his headmaster as a student...would be an important murder for LV....and the timing would be about the same time as he murdered for the locket and cup.

Voldy came back through one of the secret tunnels, killed Dippet, turned the Award for Special Services or the Hufflepuff Cup into a horcrux, and left it there in plain sight. Hogwarts is as safe as any place on earth. Noone knew of their existience, much less their hiding location. The diary was CREATED at Hogwarts, but NOT hidden there. It was hidden with Malfoy. The horcrux originally hidden at Hogwarts is still there.

As for magical protections, the locket was handled by lots of people at Grimalud Place with no ill effects and AD was in there dozens of times without detecting and residual traces of it. The diary was in the castle for a year without AD picking up on any residual magical traces. Plus there is no place on earth with more magical protections than the castle itself.

Old June 22nd, 2007, 9:27 am
Second Year

if he'd killed Dippet surely he would have been found out, because Dippet's portrait would have been in the office and could have told them (since portraits seem quite good at reminicising)

Old June 22nd, 2007, 10:14 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DADallas View Post
Voldy came back through one of the secret tunnels, killed Dippet, turned the Award for Special Services or the Hufflepuff Cup into a horcrux, and left it there in plain sight. Hogwarts is as safe as any place on earth. Noone knew of their existience, much less their hiding location.
Surely if the cup was in Hogwarts, Dumbledore would have known about it. I'm sure it would fail to escape his notice that a cup in the trophy room was exactly the same. Dumbledore seems like the kind of guy who always knows what's going on in the school. I quite like the idea of the award for special services, though. However, it would seem that the the fifth horcrux is going to be Ravenclaw or Gryffindor's, otherwise I am doubtful that JK would have given us that clue for no reason.

Who'd have thought it.

There was only ever going to be one man who could vanquish Snape.

It's just another day for Lieutenant John McClane
Old June 22nd, 2007, 12:26 pm
Seventh Year

why would he kill dippet though, according to dumbledore dippet was rather fond of tom riddle, and would have probably given him the job of defence against the darks arts teacher later on when he was older. tom riddle almost knew that dd wouldn't give it to him, so what would the point be in killing dippet when there were more chances fo getting the job with dippet still as headmaster.

''Dear Professor Snape,
Dude...It's called Shampoo.
Love Anomoulous xX''

Ways to Annoy Snape...Wink at him evertime you catch his eye

Come and Guess The Screenshot!!! http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=110197
Old June 22nd, 2007, 1:34 pm
Assistant to Minister Granger

Why would he kill him? He had much better chances of becoming a teacher with Dippet as Headmaster. Dippet actually said he was willing to take him on when he was older.

And if Tom did kill Dippet, it needs to have some significance for the plot, and if it does, then ther would have been a hint or something, or Dumbledore would know.

Old June 22nd, 2007, 3:41 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

The only thing I can think of that would make LV kill Dippett is that he wanted to create job openings. We've seen LV kill for trophies before (and get away with it), so perhaps he was trying to do that.

Otherwise I do actually agree with most here; I don't think that LV killed Dippett. Because, if he did, it would have been a pretty big miscalculation on LV's part, unless there was another, as-of-yet unrevealed thing going on.

Old June 22nd, 2007, 3:52 pm
Fifth Year

I agree with a lot of the people here. Dippet had told Riddle (as he was then) that if he was still interested in teaching he should come back in a few years. Dippet was effectively saying you can have a job just not yet.

Dippet would have given him the job whereas Dumbledore wouldn't, and as we saw in HBP didn't give him the job.

Old June 22nd, 2007, 5:16 pm
First Year

I don't think he would have killed Dippet because if he had he couldn't have gotten the job

Old June 22nd, 2007, 5:17 pm
Second Year

I always thought that Voldemort like Dippet.

Old June 23rd, 2007, 1:38 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle_born1 View Post
I always thought that Voldemort like Dippet.
Voldemort likes no man

Who'd have thought it.

There was only ever going to be one man who could vanquish Snape.

It's just another day for Lieutenant John McClane
Old June 23rd, 2007, 5:02 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

I always assumed that Dippet died of old age...I'm sure that I read it somewhere in canon...

Anyway, like many others have said, it would be to Voldemort's advantage to have Dippet as the Headmaster o the school because Dippet always had a soft spot for him. Dumbledore, however, can see right through Voldemort and of course Voldemot is scared of him.

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old June 23rd, 2007, 5:31 pm
First Year

Pretty much like most people are saying, it would be to Voldy's advantage to have Dippet as the headmaster.
LV was a sharp guy, I have a feeling he knew that DD in some way prevented him from obtaining the job ... and if he knew this, he would have no reason to kill Dippet, who was charmed by him like so many other teachers and would probably have given him the post were it not for DD's intervention.

slytherinnn for life!

Severus Snape is NOT evil!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives