Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Does Harry love the Dursleys?

Old June 4th, 2007, 10:22 pm
First Year

Re: Does Harry love the Dursleys?

I think to some small extent. In some weird form I do believe that some part of Harry is thankful that he has lived under a solid roof, although The Dursleys haven't treated him or brought him up as one of their own. Sure they do not share a connection or any particular bond of sorts, but it's definitely possible that somewhere deep inside Harry he does love them.

Old June 4th, 2007, 10:46 pm
Fourth Year

There are many different kinds of love and Harry never experienced the love of a proper family when he was young. However, as he has grown older he has began to acknowledge the importance of family bonds and appreciates that the Dursleys are necessary if not pleasant. He will love them in an unconditional way, but that doesn't mean he wants to stay with them any longer than he has to, other than to protect them.

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Emma Watson

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old June 5th, 2007, 4:03 am
Offishul Fan Girl

I'm sure someone else has already said this, but you can love someone without liking them very much. That could be the case here. Since Harry has the capacity for love, he probably also has the capacity for pity for his narrow minded relatives. He definitely feels something.

Hatred is not the opposite of love- the opposite of love is indifference. Harry must have some feeling approaching love in his innermost heart or he would have let the Dementors get Dudley, in my opinion.

Harry flirted with Tinkerbell for about an hour before he realized that she was the new substitute DADA teacher.
And he knew how long THEY lasted.
Old June 5th, 2007, 12:00 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillbet View Post
I'm sure someone else has already said this, but you can love someone without liking them very much. That could be the case here. Since Harry has the capacity for love, he probably also has the capacity for pity for his narrow minded relatives. He definitely feels something.

Hatred is not the opposite of love- the opposite of love is indifference. Harry must have some feeling approaching love in his innermost heart or he would have let the Dementors get Dudley, in my opinion.
I'm not sure that Harry would have let anyone feel the Dementor's kiss, not even Snape. Voldemort is perhaps the exception. I do agree with you though, if Harry didn't feel anything for the Dursleys then he would be indifferent. He does pity them in a way, and as Dumbledore told the Vernon and Petunia it's their fault Dudley grew up spoilt and ill-mannered. Maybe Harry also feels closer to Petunia just through the blood ties.

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Emma Watson

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old June 5th, 2007, 12:09 pm
First Year

I reckon that Harry isn't so heartless to let the Dursley's die. They are family. Remember after Harry and Duddles were attacked and Petunia got a Howler from Dumbledore, that made her let Harry stay at Privet Drive. Harry appreciated for the first time that Petunia was his mother's sister. As much as he may dislike them as people they are still family.

Then again if it came down to a choice of saving the Durley's or saving Ron and Hermione..........

Old June 5th, 2007, 12:58 pm
Third Year

I find it interesting that so many people in this thread are saying something on the lines of "He must love them deep down because they are family." Harry has been at best neglected for his whole life by all three Dursleys. He has been dependent on the Dursleys for food and shelter, so he learns how to live with them enough to get by. Yes, that is some sort of connection to them, but I would hesitate to call it Love. As soon as he is of age, he will leave and will not feel as if he is losing much.

The moment with Petunia seemed more an indication of her connection to Lily as opposed to any feeling between Harry and Petunia. Perhaps, depending on how big Petunia's revelation is, she and Harry will be able to be civil to each other in the future. I do agree that Vernon is a lost cause.

He keeps Dudley from the dementors because he is a decent person, not because he loves him. If there were to be an attack against the Dursleys (though why the Death Eaters would bother, I'm sure I can't figure out), Harry would go back and help them. In HBP, Dumbledore says Harry's capacity to love is notable because despite how horribly he was raised, he still cares about other people. He grew up completely devoid of love, but still can feel it towards people who love him. That doesn't mean he loves everyone in the world, including people who have abused him, whether or not they are "family". Merely sharing blood is not enough to make you love someone, and the Dursleys have not given him any other reason to feel anything approaching love.

Old June 5th, 2007, 1:30 pm
First Year

Quote:
Yes, that is some sort of connection to them, but I would hesitate to call it Love. As soon as he is of age, he will leave and will not feel as if he is losing much.
That's what I mean. Harry is a decent person and would do everything to prevent anyone from dying. He stopped Sirius and Lupin from killing Wormtail. And he would never let the Dursley's be harmed but that is not and act of love that is just a demonstration of the human element the Harry has and that is lacking in Voldy and some death eaters.

Old June 5th, 2007, 1:43 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnygen View Post
That's what I mean. Harry is a decent person and would do everything to prevent anyone from dying. He stopped Sirius and Lupin from killing Wormtail. And he would never let the Dursley's be harmed but that is not and act of love that is just a demonstration of the human element the Harry has and that is lacking in Voldy and some death eaters.
I understand what you were saying. I didn't mean for my post to seem as if it was a response to yours Sorry! I was responding to various people further up in the thread, and didn't want to bother listing names or quoting all of them.

Old June 5th, 2007, 1:50 pm
First Year

I know what you mean. I also think that is is strange that anyone could think that Harry would LOVE the Dursley's. I reckon that we all know people in the Muggle world who don't LOVE members of their own families, but can stand snide coments for a few weeks if it means hot meals and a bed.

If we start getting into a disscusion on what LOVE is then we could be here forever.

Old June 5th, 2007, 5:28 pm
Offishul Fan Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alhanalasa View Post
I understand what you were saying. I didn't mean for my post to seem as if it was a response to yours Sorry! I was responding to various people further up in the thread, and didn't want to bother listing names or quoting all of them.
Eh- go ahead and bother to name names. We're all adults

Harry has the capacity to love and, more importantly, forgive and I believe on some level he cares about his aunt, uncle and cousin and that in some way he loves them. Again:

1.) "Love" and "like" can be mutually exclusive. He mocks Dudley constantly because, well, Dudley is mockable and kind of a jerk. But he's still not going to leave Dudley to the Dementors.

2.) Hatred is not the opposite of love. Harry likely hates his uncle with the fiery passion of a hundred burning suns, but he still gets cranky and cries "Unfair!" when Vernon wrongs him rather then just saying, "Meh. Whatever."

Which means somewhere in his heart it could be that he cares about Vernon- even if only because Vernon's the husband of his mother's sister.

Of course when he's of age he's going to run like a bunny- and who could blame him?- but Harry is not a monster. No matter how they treat him he never purposely does them harm. It's not unreasonable to think that love exists- it may not look like sunshine, puppies and ice cream with a side order of hugs, but I think it's there. And good thing too, because that's the thing that keeps Harry safe until he comes of age.

Harry flirted with Tinkerbell for about an hour before he realized that she was the new substitute DADA teacher.

Last edited by Lillbet; June 5th, 2007 at 7:00 pm. Reason: save your fork, there's pie!
Old June 5th, 2007, 6:17 pm
Animaga terpsichore

In a way he might have some extent to love the Dursleys. They did take him in after all. But as Harry was never loved as a child from them, he doesnt love them as much as he would have if they were a bit nicer to him.

Keep On Dancing Til The World Ends
Old June 5th, 2007, 6:18 pm
Second Year

no, they out him through way too much suffering for hi to love them. I think he may be closer to petunia, but i wouldn't go as far as love.

Old June 5th, 2007, 6:47 pm
Fifth Year

I think that deep down there is some emotion between Harry and Petunia - and maybe there'll be tears and tentative hugs when Harry has to leave the Dursleys - but no connection at alll with Dudley or Vernon...

Well actually - Harry used his breath and magical energy saving Dudley from a Dementor. OK, that's his "saving people thing".

I'm rambling...ignore me...

"Six years ter the day since we met, Harry, d'yeh remember it?"
"Vaguely...didn't you smash down the front door, give Dudley a pig's tail and tell me I was a wizard?"
"I forge' the details."

Old June 5th, 2007, 6:52 pm
Offishul Fan Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_snuffles View Post
In a way he might have some extent to love the Dursleys. They did take him in after all. But as Harry was never loved as a child from them, he doesnt love them as much as he would have if they were a bit nicer to him.
Agreed. The emotion is there, but probably not to the extent it would have been if they had been more demonstrative toward him as a child. That is not to say it doesn't exist at all.

Last edited by Lillbet; June 5th, 2007 at 7:01 pm. Reason: save your fork, there's pie!
Old June 5th, 2007, 9:49 pm
First Year

I personaly think that, granted he doenst particually like the dursleys - to be honest i dont think anyone would in his situation, they are his family so theirs got to be some sort of love for them... even if only extremly small as they are related.

Old June 5th, 2007, 9:59 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

I personally feel that he loves the Dursleys too, just not overtly fond of them. It's like even though they treat him like ****, he still feels compelled to help protect them, ya know? Look at how he was with Draco in HBP after using that spell on him. Even though the two are mortal enemies, he still felt bad for what he did. He could've left Dudely to the dementors in OotP, but, he tried his best to save him. I'm not sure if it's his "saving people thing" or not, but he must have some liking towards them, even if it's not as much as say his liking towards Ron, Hermione, the other Weasleys, etc.

Old June 5th, 2007, 10:32 pm
First Year

Dumbledore always said that Harrys power was his ability to love.
Even after all he has been through with the Dursleys i still think that deep down (and as much as he likes to laugh and joke about Dudley) thee is a certain connection.
As you say SSJ_Jup81 they might indeed treat him like ****. But i agree with you there will always be something. Harry is just a decent bloke and i dont think he could really hate them. I mean, they let him in their house and kept him alive, which is more than some would do.

Old June 5th, 2007, 10:36 pm
Student

I think that Harry loves them subconsciously. They are his family and I don't think that Harry really wants anything bad to happen to them.

Old June 5th, 2007, 11:18 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBJ23 View Post
I think that Harry loves them subconsciously. They are his family and I don't think that Harry really wants anything bad to happen to them.
Thats the word i was looking for. Subconsciously. I agree. Thanks

Old June 5th, 2007, 11:39 pm
First Year

I think if Harry will save Dudley, he actually loves them... or maybe he just wanted to help Dudley because he had a piggy tail =D

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives