Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

The Hunger games

Old March 20th, 2011, 1:24 am
Sixth Year

The Hunger games

I wasn't sure if anyone who liked HP would be a fan of these books, but I just finished the first book in the hunger games series and it was riveting. The movie comes out March 2012 and Jennifer Lawrence, who was nominated for an Oscar this year, nabbed the lead role of katniss.

I was a bit disappointed with this casting since I was hoping hailee steinfeld, who was great in true grit, would get the part. Jennifer is probably amazing as an actress, but she is just more mature than what I had pictured. Still, it will be interesting to see how they bring the books to life.

Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2011, 5:10 am
Second Year

Re: Hunger games

I finished the trilogy last week--amazing. The premise was what reeled me in and I just could not but those books down. I had Steinfeld in mind for Katniss so I was a bit disappointed as well with Lawrence receiving the part. My disappointment is probably unnecessary...I have yet to see anything she's in so I can't really make judgments this early on. I'm very anxious to see who's cast for Peeta...he was the most interesting character imo.

I'm feeling more stressed about this film series than I felt with Harry Potter because I read THG before realizing they were about to make them into movies. With HP, it was the opposite, and I saw the first one and knew about CoS before having any interest in actually reading the books. I hope they cut very little from THG...it hopefully won't be a problem considering each book is under 400 pages. And if the filmmakers try to dull down the violence to receive a PG rating (or light PG-13), I will be quite upset!

Old March 21st, 2011, 7:17 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboywholived8 View Post
I finished the trilogy last week--amazing. The premise was what reeled me in and I just could not but those books down. I had Steinfeld in mind for Katniss so I was a bit disappointed as well with Lawrence receiving the part. My disappointment is probably unnecessary...I have yet to see anything she's in so I can't really make judgments this early on. I'm very anxious to see who's cast for Peeta...he was the most interesting character imo.

I'm feeling more stressed about this film series than I felt with Harry Potter because I read THG before realizing they were about to make them into movies. With HP, it was the opposite, and I saw the first one and knew about CoS before having any interest in actually reading the books. I hope they cut very little from THG...it hopefully won't be a problem considering each book is under 400 pages. And if the filmmakers try to dull down the violence to receive a PG rating (or light PG-13), I will be quite upset!
Yes, the premise is what I found to be so riveting. At first I thought it would be too dark and violent for my taste, but after the first chapter I could not put the first book down. My heart was racing and I literally could not sleep when I got to the part of the actual hunger games. That whole survival concept was morbidly compelling.

I had hailee in mind as well for katniss. Jennifer just seems too mature and sexy for katniss, but maybe with the right hair and makeup she will be all right.

The author approves and she saw the audition so I guess all we can do is wait.
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/03/2...ifer-lawrence/

I am anxiously awaiting the casting of peeta as well. It looks like Alex pettyfer, hunter Parrish, and Josh hutcherson are all competing for it. I can't see alex pettyfer as peeta after i saw I am number four. Yes he is attractive, but peeta has to be the sweetest, kind hearted male literary character I have ever read about and Alex always comes off cocky and a bit of a rebel. I just can't see him as the boy with the bread.

Last edited by phoenix88; March 21st, 2011 at 11:01 pm.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:13 am
Second Year

I'm not too crazy about some of the actors they're considering for Peeta. I think Alex Pettyfer simply looks too old (and I agree, he seems a bit cocky) and I'm just not a fan of Parrish. Josh Hutcherson has a sweet face and he's kind of what I imagined Peeta to look like, but I haven't really seen him in anything.

Ugh! We have to wait a whole freaking year until it comes out!

Old March 22nd, 2011, 8:56 am
Sixth Year

Yes, this peeta casting is being widely debated. It is such an important role. I saw Josh In bridge to terabithia eons ago and he can definitely act. I have never seen hunter in anything. People have also suggested Freddie stroma from hp and will Moseley fro narnia.
It seems like a lot of young actors are vying for the role, just like what happened for katniss.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/03/18/hu...ss-peeta-gale/

Old March 23rd, 2011, 11:56 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I think Hailee Steinfeld may have been considered too young, at fourteen. Jennifer Lawrence is a bit older than Katniss, but hopefully with make-up etc, she will look sixteen. Or would the filmmakers change Katniss' age to eighteen? Jennifer can pass for eighteen, IMO. I don't think it would go down well if they did that. However, sixteen or eighteen, it's still quite young. The twisted, cruel element of sending kids and people who are barely adults to die is still there.
And with an Oscar nomination, it's probably safe to say Lawrence can act. I think that's better than someone who looks the part, but can't act, for example just pouts her way through the whole thing.

I'm interested to see who will be cast as Peeta, I think it needs to be someone who can move people with words, rather than be a teenage action man. IMO, that really isn't Peeta's role in Hunger Games.

Haymitch!! Until I read Catching Fire, I though Haymitch was in his fifties or sixties. So, early forties Haymitch? Who would be good for the part?

Effie? How old do you guys picture Effie? Who would you like to see as Effie?

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old March 26th, 2011, 6:48 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
I think Hailee Steinfeld may have been considered too young, at fourteen. Jennifer Lawrence is a bit older than Katniss, but hopefully with make-up etc, she will look sixteen. Or would the filmmakers change Katniss' age to eighteen? Jennifer can pass for eighteen, IMO. I don't think it would go down well if they did that. However, sixteen or eighteen, it's still quite young. The twisted, cruel element of sending kids and people who are barely adults to die is still there.
And with an Oscar nomination, it's probably safe to say Lawrence can act. I think that's better than someone who looks the part, but can't act, for example just pouts her way through the whole thing.

I'm interested to see who will be cast as Peeta, I think it needs to be someone who can move people with words, rather than be a teenage action man. IMO, that really isn't Peeta's role in Hunger Games.

Haymitch!! Until I read Catching Fire, I though Haymitch was in his fifties or sixties. So, early forties Haymitch? Who would be good for the part?

Effie? How old do you guys picture Effie? Who would you like to see as Effie?
I hope they can make jennifer look younger too. I guess I keep seeing her awards pics and she looks so much older than her age, but I am sure with make up they should be able to do something. I still wish we could have seen hailee. She would have been great.

They were testing for peeta and gale today. All the peetas do look the part. They all have that sweet look to them. I guess it all comes down to chemistry. I wonder what happened to Alex pettyfer who was supposedly one of the prior candidates. He was noticeably off the list. I honestly never pictured him as peeta anyway. He would be better as fin nick. I kind of like Lucas till and Liam hems worth now.

I don't recognize the actors for gale but I looked them up, and they are all better looking than I pictured gale to be:lol

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...ay-star-171575

http://www.movieline.com/2011/03/boy...games.php#more

As for haymitch and effie, I picture both to be in their 40s. Fans have been suggesting Robert Downey jr. I don't have any actor in mind yet.

Last edited by phoenix88; March 26th, 2011 at 9:57 pm.
Old March 26th, 2011, 11:54 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I have yet to read this book/series. I don't find any of the guys they're testing for the male lead interesting but perhaps it's because I don't know what the lead calls for. They all seem so bland. Is he supposed to be equal to the female lead or is he just a supporting character?

Old March 27th, 2011, 5:25 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix88 View Post

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...ay-star-171575

http://www.movieline.com/2011/03/boy...games.php#more

As for haymitch and effie, I picture both to be in their 40s. Fans have been suggesting Robert Downey jr. I don't have any actor in mind yet.
Woah, I didn't know Evan Peters was being considered. He was funny in Kick-A**. Interesting choice. I'm still kinda hoping for Hutcherson, though.

Hmmm, RDJ for Haymitch? That would be...awesome. I love him so much. I fully endorse this idea. As for Effie, I have no idea. I'm pretty excited to see how they're going to make the people from the Capitol look, with their crazy hair and tattoos.

Old March 27th, 2011, 8:41 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgold View Post
I have yet to read this book/series. I don't find any of the guys they're testing for the male lead interesting but perhaps it's because I don't know what the lead calls for. They all seem so bland. Is he supposed to be equal to the female lead or is he just a supporting character?
I highly recommend them. They are just riveting and I can see why now they are so popular. I was a bit reluctant to read them at first because the premise is quite dark. The female lead is the key as the books are told from her pov. She really is the focus of the story and it is somewhat of a role reversal in that she is the one who is tough, fierce, and somewhat detached because of the cruel circumstances she grew up in. The male lead is the softer character- kind, sweet, and just literally the most selfless and good natured male character I have ever come across. That may be why the male actors they are looking at seem so bland to you.

I am leaning towards Lucas till after this interview. He seems to understand the character of peeta so well. Plus, he does seem to be quite versatile having been in battle LA, Hannah Montana, and the upcoming X men with coincidentally Jennifer Lawrence as well.

http://thehoborg.blogspot.com/2011/0...out-peeta.html

Quote:
Woah, I didn't know Evan Peters was being considered. He was funny in Kick-A**. Interesting choice. I'm still kinda hoping for Hutcherson, though.

Hmmm, RDJ for Haymitch? That would be...awesome. I love him so much. I fully endorse this idea. As for Effie, I have no idea. I'm pretty excited to see how they're going to make the people from the Capitol look, with their crazy hair and tattoos.
I was surprised at Evan peters too. Hutcherson probably has the most acting chops but I am definitely warming up to Lucas till.

Last edited by phoenix88; March 27th, 2011 at 8:50 am.
Old March 27th, 2011, 1:08 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
I highly recommend them. They are just riveting and I can see why now they are so popular.
I am going to read them. It's just that my life has been super busy at the moment but I plan to read them this summer when I have more free time. I've also bought the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and I plan to read those at that time as well
Quote:
The female lead is the key as the books are told from her pov. She really is the focus of the story and it is somewhat of a role reversal in that she is the one who is tough, fierce, and somewhat detached because of the cruel circumstances she grew up in. The male lead is the softer character- kind, sweet, and just literally the most selfless and good natured male character I have ever come across. That may be why the male actors they are looking at seem so bland to you.
OK. Well, the selection makes more sense in that context. I still don't like any of the guys I've seen. I'm hoping that because this is an important role they bring their A-game and don't perform as they've done in the other characters I've seen them in.

Old March 28th, 2011, 12:18 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
I am going to read them. It's just that my life has been super busy at the moment but I plan to read them this summer when I have more free time. I've also bought the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and I plan to read those at that time as well
OK. Well, the selection makes more sense in that context. I still don't like any of the guys I've seen. I'm hoping that because this is an important role they bring their A-game and don't perform as they've done in the other characters I've seen them in.
I read dragon tattoo just before hunger games. The mystery was interesting and there is a strong female character as well, but there is a lot of exposition in the beginning and the pacing early on is painfully slow. With hunger games, you hit the ground running from the beginning and it has been a page turner for me ever since.

I just hope the film can do it justice.

Quote:
From their interviews, especially with Lucas till, they all seem to really want the role and are dedicated to it. Peeta is so pivotal to the books. I hope these guys can ho,d their own with jennifer Lawrence too.

Old March 28th, 2011, 1:27 am
Second Year

Quote:
Thanks for posting that. Till pretty much hit the nail on the head, imo.

Well, if Hutcherson doesn't get the part, I hope Lucas does. Actually, anyone would be better than Parrish.

Old March 28th, 2011, 3:31 am
First Year

I actually used to want parrish based on looks, but then I saw him in Weeds, and I changed my mind. I hope it's Till now, especially because of the way he described Peeta and his enthusiasm and being a fan of the books. I always feels it's important for actors in book-to-film adaptations to have read and at least liked the books, if not, be passionate about the book and really feel a connection to the character they want to play. Till seems to have that. That, and he looks the part to me. Height-wise, he's only a bit taller than jennifer.

Old March 28th, 2011, 4:19 am
Registered Animagus

Hunger Games is definitely my next anticipated movie after Deathly Hallows Part 2. I will follow every set pic, detail, etc. of this movie.

Jennifer Lawrence will be a great Katniss, though I wish Hailee was chosen. But I have faith on Jennifer.

Old March 28th, 2011, 9:02 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

I've always pictured Haymitch along the lines of Brendan Gleeson, or maybe Philip Seymour Hoffman, but I can see why an actor such as RDJ would be a more popular choice.

I'm interested to see who they'll cast as Prim and Rue, too. The fact that Jennifer Lawrence is 20 makes me wonder if they'll age up the rest of the cast.

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old March 28th, 2011, 1:19 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Druid View Post

I'm interested to see who they'll cast as Prim and Rue, too. The fact that Jennifer Lawrence is 20 makes me wonder if they'll age up the rest of the cast.
See that is what I thought. If so, Chloe Moretz would be a great Prim.

Old March 28th, 2011, 6:19 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesilentcat View Post
I actually used to want parrish based on looks, but then I saw him in Weeds, and I changed my mind.
I think the main reason I don't want Parrish cast as Peeta is because I cannot stand his character on Weeds. It's kind of a silly reason, I know. But I honestly don't he think he has the acting chops to bring justice to such an interesting character.

Old March 28th, 2011, 10:59 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
I think the main reason I don't want Parrish cast as Peeta is because I cannot stand his character on Weeds. It's kind of a silly reason, I know. But I honestly don't he think he has the acting chops to bring justice to such an interesting character.
I have never seen Parrish act before. How is he on Weeds? A lot of hunger games fans just adore him. I like Lucas because he does seem to really understand the character of Peeta.

As for Effie, some have suggested Kristen Chenoweth. I think she would actually be pretty good and give some comic relief, but I don't feel as strongly about who effie is as I am about Peeta.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/01/11/kr...-hunger-games/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Druid View Post
I've always pictured Haymitch along the lines of Brendan Gleeson, or maybe Philip Seymour Hoffman, but I can see why an actor such as RDJ would be a more popular choice.

Some have suggested Gerard Butler as well.

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/the_...ould_play.html

In terms of aging the cast, I guess they will now because of Jennifer or at least cast people that look older.

Last edited by phoenix88; March 28th, 2011 at 11:03 pm.
Old March 29th, 2011, 8:40 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

Quote:
I have never seen Parrish act before. How is he on Weeds? A lot of hunger games fans just adore him. I like Lucas because he does seem to really understand the character of Peeta.

As for Effie, some have suggested Kristen Chenoweth. I think she would actually be pretty good and give some comic relief, but I don't feel as strongly about who effie is as I am about Peeta.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/01/11/kr...-hunger-games/
Chenoweth looks like she'd play a good Effie. Hunter Parrish would probably be my choice for Peeta, to be honest.

Quote:
In terms of aging the cast, I guess they will now because of Jennifer or at least cast people that look older.
I think that a lot of the potential impact will be lost if they age the characters up too much. The whole point is that it's children being forced to kill each other. There's already speculation over what the rating might be.

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion