Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

Figure Skating

Old October 13th, 2007, 4:11 am
Second Year

Figure Skating

Hey all!

Is there any other figure skaters out there? I love the sport. this is my 11th year. it is so much fun!

What freeskate are you on?

What dance are you on?

What skills are you on?

This year my music for my solo is 'Harry Potter Techno Remix'! it's so awesome!!!

I love the ice; couldn't live without it. I love skating. i also love hockey, but i don't play it. i'm afraid to try and skate with hockey skates...no toepick! if you could play hockey in figure skates i'd be pretty good!

so, come my fellow skaters and discuss!

In denial that JKR didn't win TIME's Person of the Year!
She did come in first in the online votes!

I'm part of the 8% of teens that rock out every day.

It's not anywhere close to being enough, but Thank You Jo!
Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2007, 8:46 pm
First Year

Re: Figure Skating

I used to figure skate. I started when I was three( I'm ten now). I just quit this year- I'm doing drama instead. I loved it, but decided I wanted to try something new. To, answer your questions, I was on the first dance(what's it called again?), and I was working on the lutz(that's not how you spell it, is it?).
For the hockey part of your post-how can people even skate without toepicks. I sure can't!
Luna(a.k.a Lindsay)
P.S.11 years. Wow!

Old October 14th, 2007, 3:14 am
Second Year

Woot! Glad to hear it! Drama is pretty fun (not as fun as figure skating!), but still pretty fun, i enjoy that too, so i approve of your change!

The Dutch Waltz? Very nice. I'm on the American, and the Rocker.

Were you working on the lutz jump? I just (finally) started landing my lutz everytime. now im on axels. They're hard, but they're kinda fun. Well actually very fun.

Okay, so i'm not the only one who sees how skating without toepicks could be hard! It's just a rounded surface on hockey skates.

P.S.- thank you. But hey, 7 years is still pretty impresive too!

Old October 15th, 2007, 9:55 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryismyhero17 View Post
Is there any other figure skaters out there? I love the sport. this is my 11th year. it is so much fun!
Oooo I skated for 5-6 seasons through the end of elementry and middle school. I loved it!!! It is great you have stayed in it for 11 years

Quote:
What freeskate are you on?
Well I don't know how they are all broken down now because it was more than 10 years ago when I first started it, but I ended at the end of eigth grade and I think I was in Freestyle 2.

Our levels went

Alpha 1-2
Beta 1-2
Gamma 1-2
Delta 1-2
Freestyle 1-10

Do they still use those same levels?

Quote:
What skills are you on?
I can't remember exactly I know that there were only like 5-6 skills to pass but they were jumps and I think a 1 foot spin.

Quote:
I love the ice; couldn't live without it. I love skating.
I am so glad you like it so much!! I did too! I wish now I would have kept up with it, but it was very expenisive and as I was getting higher up it was almost necessary to have a private training instead of classes and to enter into a lot of compitions. We just didn't have the time or money to continue so I had to stop in high school. But I loved it and still love to get on the ice. I can still do my Waltz Jump and the spins. I can't remember the Sow Cow, but I know it starts with a three turn awww I want to get back on the ice now

Old October 16th, 2007, 7:07 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

I've never had the chance to do it before, but I've always wanted to do it. The only thing I'm a bit wary of is injury by falling on the ice...I can imagine it hurts muchly...

Old October 17th, 2007, 4:15 am
Second Year

^ Well the aspect of falling hurting, wears off rather quickly. You get used to little falls and tumbles There is still potential for large injuries and falls.

I have a fair list of skating-related injuries; from small little falls, to big falls landing hard on your tailbone, back, wrist, thigh, ankle. I have also fallen and had my toepick dig into my leg. I've also sprained my wrist. And to top it off...i fell on my face and chiped my adult front tooth. Which my dentist wouldn't fix right away cause i was getting braces in 1 1/2 years, so i had to wait until the week before i got my braces to get a cap on it.

But injury shouldn't make you back away from the sport. There is risk for injury in any sport and actually most of the stuff you do everyday, if you look hard enough. Example, if you were on the computer all day, you could sprain a finger!

Old October 17th, 2007, 5:22 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

Quote:
Example, if you were on the computer all day, you could sprain a finger!

The injury aspect is quite a big deal to me because I have a bone disorder in my left arm, which makes it really weak. If I was to slip and fall on it, it would most likely break. It's not just about the injuries though. Where I live, the nearest ice-skating rink is an hour away, so it's not that practical. I'd love to give it a go though

Old October 17th, 2007, 9:52 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonyMagic View Post
The injury aspect is quite a big deal to me because I have a bone disorder in my left arm, which makes it really weak. If I was to slip and fall on it, it would most likely break. It's not just about the injuries though. Where I live, the nearest ice-skating rink is an hour away, so it's not that practical. I'd love to give it a go though
ooh! oww! sorry.

really? an hour away? phew. that's crazy. do you live in a southern place though? if so, i can maybe see why it would be so far.

Old October 17th, 2007, 10:55 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

Quote:
ooh! oww! sorry.

really? an hour away? phew. that's crazy. do you live in a southern place though? if so, i can maybe see why it would be so far.
Yeah I know it sucks. Yeah, I live in Cornwall But hopefully we're getting a skating rink, as well as a bowling alley and mall sometime soon, fingers crossed.

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old October 18th, 2007, 4:18 am
Second Year

Very Cool. Well i live in Canada, Ontario to be precise. Every town has a rink. even my town (that has an estimated population of 3200 - then again could be more or less now, they havn't changed in sign in at least 30 yrs (so i've been told, i'm not that old ).)

I had practice tonight btw, i fell hard on my thigh, i think i might have a bruise And my lutz and axel were being fusy.

Old January 7th, 2008, 7:13 pm
Second Year

lol my brother skates. it's embarrasing. I'm hoping he'll take up hockey soon though lol.

Old December 10th, 2009, 6:59 pm
Third Year

Figure skating is so fun, but I've only figure skated in 5-6 years and 4 of those years I practised synchronized skating (figure skating in a team). I also teach children to ice-skate...In my opinnion its one of the most beautiful and difficult (and at the same time fun) figure skating genre there is. Its not just one or two people on the ice, its more like 20 people ice-skating together...

Old January 7th, 2011, 11:03 am
First Year

When I was younger I was obsessed with figure skating. I had lessons when I was around 7-8 and again when I was around 11-14. I miss it. I want to go back and probably should, but I'm so busy with school and rhythmic gymnastics.

Old June 22nd, 2011, 4:21 pm
First Year

I love figure skating ! I've been doing ice dance for about 10 years now and it still is so much fun.

Old August 1st, 2011, 8:22 pm
Second Year

I miss skating SO much. I skated for about six years. I was well into doubles when I had to quit... The rink near me didn't have ice times that it was possible for me to get to. Unfortunately, they just built a new rink literally five minutes from my house that would have meant I could have kept skating!! I go back randomly and I can still do a lot of what I could before I left. Now whenever my friends and I go, I don't know what to do on the ice- I don't see the point in skating around in circles haha

Proud Gryffindor
GoldScale60 POTTERMORE. FOREVERMORE.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports