Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

Rugby Union World Cup

Old September 2nd, 2011, 1:30 am
Sixth Year

Rugby Union World Cup

Oh yeah! Oh yeah! Oh yeah!

The national sides of the greatest team sport in the world start their 4 yearly clash next week and I for one cannot wait.

Who's going to win? Will it be reigning champs South Africa even though they aren't looking too hot? Will the Ozzies victory in their usual boisterous way? Will New Zealand actually make good on being the favourite and being at home and finally win the damn thing? Will often overconfident England surprise people by the fact that they've got a passing game with people that can (vaguely) throw and catch these days?

Then there are the other questions. Who will the French unexpectedly knock out this time? Is Brian O'Driscoll going to be healthy?

And yet more. Who will be the underdogs that actually do pretty well? Will the Argentines bludgeon out some solid wins? Which of the minnows shows most promise? Is it the USA? Canada? Japan? Russia?

Well I'm excited anyway.

i'm in slytherin!
Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2011, 7:59 pm
Sixth Year

Re: Rugby Union World Cup

Well we're off.

Utter class opening ceremony. Lovely.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GkXpQhc51g

New Zealand pretty easily beat Tonga which does make me wonder why they didn't schedule a more exciting game for the opening. Perhaps NZ vs France?

Also, once the Tongans got their power game going I saw an awful lot of holes in the All-Blacks defence. Hope for their sakes they can iron out those creases. Swift-footedness and flair might be ok for the Super 15 but the World Cup is a territory tournament (major caveat here being the French ability to turn up out of nowhere to cause an upset). I'm not saying New Zealand shouldn't play on their own terms, but you can bet that South Africa, England and Australia will be playing for posession, territory, easy points and until someone somewhere works out that a drop goal shouldn't be worth 3 points that's the way it'll stay.

i'm in slytherin!
Old September 13th, 2011, 7:05 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Until the scoring system is reformed so that penalty and drop goals are no longer worth three points, top level rugby will be dull when the major nations play.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old September 14th, 2011, 12:28 am
Sixth Year

Define dull. I know you're a league fan & of Australian heritage so I'm going to make a wild assumption at the type of rugby playing you prefer.

As a former flanker/number 8 the crunch and grind of forward play is brilliant entertainment. Although, when it comes to my home nation even I can get a little irritated by England's idea of "movement". At least I also have two bites of the apple in 'always the bridesmaid never the bride' Wales.

So far looks like it's going to be a two horse race. Australia didn't do so well, but certainly they have looked better than the other top flight teams. NZ have a horribly exposed scrum but I predict an Aus/NZ final.

Also pretty irritated that we already have Sheridan having to go home. Poor guy. And Lawes suspended which is semi-understandable. Though the race-based slanging matches I've seen on forums for 'the gentlemans' game/insinuations that he should be playing league or in another poster's words "should go back to whatever council estate they picked him up on" are not.

Whilst he was cited for one movement (the knee to the head), everyone seems to be interpreting his suspension based on his other tackles, all of which were completely legit. The knee I think probably deserved the citing since although I don't think he was deliberate, I think the IRB needs to lay down the law in terms of acceptability in these early games.

It's just a pity since he was one of the few England players that was actually giving his all throughout the game.

i'm in slytherin!
Old September 14th, 2011, 2:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdose View Post
Define dull. I know you're a league fan & of Australian heritage so I'm going to make a wild assumption at the type of rugby playing you prefer.
I prefer running rugby. Too often internationals are predicated on the strategy of getting the ball to kicking range and booting a field goal or milking a penalty (given the number of technical rules in rugby, not too hard).

I have nothing against grinding matches either, I just hate games where the scores are made up almost entirely of field goals and penalties.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

Old September 14th, 2011, 8:29 am
Too... Much... Fangirling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdose View Post
New Zealand pretty easily beat Tonga which does make me wonder why they didn't schedule a more exciting game for the opening. Perhaps NZ vs France?
They scheduled a game for the opening that wouldn't get as much audience on the game alone (But Tonga brought in huge audiences anyway - the amount of people with Tonga flags hanging from their cars and homes is ridiculous). Therefore, they still get lots of money from the NZ v France game as well. They are restricted to only 60,000, remember...

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Old September 14th, 2011, 11:58 am
First Year

I live in South Africa and the enthusiasm for this Rugby World Cup is mad. The TV is left on the whole day at work and random people just come to sit and watch.

A rule: If you ever come to South Africa, DO NOT insult the SA rugby team. Even if your point is valid, you will be exiled for your comments.

:P

Wand: Sycamore and Phoenix feather, ten inches, reasonably supple
Old September 14th, 2011, 11:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
I have nothing against grinding matches either, I just hate games where the scores are made up almost entirely of field goals and penalties.
Like this Scotland 15 (4pg, 1fg) d Georgia 6 (2pg).

Old September 15th, 2011, 12:57 am
Sixth Year

I'll concede that.

In try scoring news though: how about that Canada game? Tonga have only themselves to blame.

i'm in slytherin!
Old September 16th, 2011, 9:04 am

Love it when a minnow gets up against an established nation.

Another interesting element is trying to determine at which point the All Blacks will choke.

Last edited by Wab; September 17th, 2011 at 7:41 am.
Old September 17th, 2011, 12:41 pm
Sixth Year

Oh wow. When Ireland show up they sure can show up.

B.O.D has been saying all week how he wants this cup to be his swansong so I guess he deserved it.

i'm in slytherin!
Old October 7th, 2011, 6:05 pm

Just read an interesting, but unsurprising, fact: one-fifth of all RWC players are of Pacific Islander origin. Besides the team from Fiji, Samoa and Tonga there are eight in the All Blacks; seven in the Wallabies; seven in the US; three in Japan; and one each in England and Wales.

http://www.singletonargus.com.au/new...px?storypage=0

Old October 19th, 2011, 2:10 am

In a case of history repeating, the NZ v France final and Australia v Wales play-off for third replicates the final games of the first RWC held in NZ (and Australia) in 1987.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports