Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

Tennis and Grand Slams

Old June 27th, 2013, 11:16 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Tennis and Grand Slams

Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeberanBlack View Post
I'm hoping that someone beats Serena Williams too. Her elimination would leave the women's competition wide open. At the moment, women's tennis is pretty boring as long as she's around because she's so dominant. But there's a lot of young talent coming through to replace her.
I hope she loses soon too, but more because I can't stand her arrogance and her "Me me me..." attitude. She is a bad winner and an even worse loser. Watch one of her press conferences after losing. It's all about her.
"I didn't play well," , "My serve let me down" , "I wasn't feeling good" etc.
She NEVER acknowledges that another player was simply better than her, on the day!

Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2013, 10:49 pm
Sixth Year

Murray's half of the draw has opened up nicely with Rafa, Roger and Tsonga out. He should make the final. Janowicz could be a threat though. Dangerous wildcard there. Looked really good against Almagro today.

Djokovic should make the final too. I think his main threats are Haas, Del Potro and Berdych.

It should be a good final if both get there. IMO Murray is the better grass court player but Djokovic is extremely resilient. Rafa used to be known for this but Novak seems to be even better now.

Old July 4th, 2013, 5:28 pm
Curse Breaker

Verdasco rediscovered his game and had Murray on the ropes but couldn't close the deal. Serena and Venus can be quite grating at times, but they can also be charming and heartfelt when they choose to be. And losing with grace is a lost art. Fed and Nadal had to train themselves to do it, Djokovic hasn't learned yet, and Murray finally turned a corner at last year's Wimbeldon. It's not just the Williams sisters. They're aggressive, confident, and really really good. The first week turned this into the What the **** Wimbeldon with the injuries and bizarre losses (and even Flipkins got hurt in the semis today). Ugh.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old July 7th, 2013, 10:46 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Andy Murray wins Wimbledon.

Sensational day. Great moment in British sport.

Old July 8th, 2013, 12:37 am
Sixth Year

Well done Andy. It should be a huge load of his back. Final game was a bit tense though. I wouldn't put it past Novak to quickly seize the third and fourth set if he'd broken when Andy was serving for the championship.

It turned out to be a less stressful match than expected overall though. Definitely didn't think it would be a straight sets affair. Seems as though the long semifinal took some sting out of Novak. I'm surprised because he's played back to back five setters in slams before without any issues.

As for the women's final, I was rooting for Lisicki but unfortunately it looks like she got overwhelmed by the occasion. No matter; she can try again next year. She had to go through a few tough opponents so that should really give her confidence. Congrats to Bartoli though.

Old July 8th, 2013, 3:33 pm
HighFunctioning Sociopath

I'm thrilled for Murray and for the whole of Britain (I love being from a country so rubbish at sport that on the rare occasions we actually win anything we virtually declare a national holiday!)

I think Poland can be really proud of themselves this tournament, though: Radwanska, Janowicz and Kubot all did really well, with a far lower level of financial investment than some lesser performing countries put in.

Old September 11th, 2013, 4:44 pm
Snidget of Champions

Some amazing tennis in the U.S. Open! The most intriguing story, I think, is Wawrinka's play - beating Murray and almost topping Djokovic. The difference between his play versus Murray (many unforced errors, won largely because Murray was playing relatively poorer tennis) and Djokovic was incredible: Djokovic didn't seem to have an answer to Wawrinka's consistency, power, and poise. After the incredible third game in the fifth set, though, Wawrinka didn't match Djokovic's resolve - otherwise, I think Wawrinka deserved to be a finalist. Djokovic made several unforced errors that gave the edge to Wawrinka, but I don't think they were evidence of particularly poor play on his part. He and Wawrinka seemed on par. Against Nadal, though, Djokovic looked off.

Serena, meanwhile, played with incredible passion. After the initial break in the finals I thought she would trump Azarenka 6-0, 6-0! But, instead, it seems like Serena was distracted by the conditions of play, and she let Azarenka into a match that the resolved Serena that we'd seen throughout the tournament would have won easily. At serve speeds greater than Nadal's, it's hard to see how many women can compete with her (in the current style of women's tennis, which puts so much emphasis on finesse and strategy, compared to the more power-based men's tennis).

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old September 11th, 2013, 10:28 pm
Curse Breaker

She got distracted and flustered by the wind. I caught up at the end of the first set, at the decisive moment. In all likelihood, she should have won 7-5, 6-2 or 3, but Azarenka mustered incredible resolve. And that third set wasn't a whitewash by any stretch. That was a VERY uncomfortable 6-1. Congrats to Nadal and Serena. Wow. She definitely has a chance to catch Everett and Navratilova, but does she have a serious shot at either Graf's Open era mark, or Court's?

Old July 1st, 2014, 7:19 pm
Curse Breaker

Oh, how things change from year to year. Serena's struggling to keep her game at the same level from round to round or even set to set. There are whispers that she's losing interest (again). And now, the women's draw (particularly at Wimbeldon) looks like a complete free-for-all.

Old September 1st, 2014, 6:24 am
Curse Breaker

U.S. Open--So, who's the fifth Beatle on the men's side now? Nadal's hurt, but we're assuming he'll recover and be himself (since he keeps doing so). Federer looks good. Novak's good. Murray's in and out, but still around. So, who's prepped to break into the Big Four and either enlarge the group or change the landscape. At the beginning of the year, it looked like Wawrinka, but he's struggling to follow up his success. So, is it Ferrer? He seems unused to being in this conversation.

On the women's side--Serena spent most of the year overstressing at majors. Now, she looks really good and other top seeds are dropping. The second, fourth, and fifth. So, who's left in her way now? Radwanska? This is just a bewildering mess.

Old September 5th, 2014, 4:42 pm
Curse Breaker

I'm gonna post again. Djokovic made it past Murray in a tough four-setter to make the semis. He'll be playing Kei Nishikori, a Japanese player whose already made a career and national breakthrough by playing back-to-back five-setters in the heat. If he has anything left, it'll be a wonder. Gael Monfils did a sort of Jekyll and Hyde act, and Federer struggled with the wind. In the end, Fed came back from 2 sets to love down and saved 2 match points on his way to the semis and Marin Cilic. I think both top seeds will recover to dispatch the upstarts and set up a final confrontation. I don't know who will have more left in the tank, and I don't know who will play cleaner. I'm hoping Federer's drive for 18 is successful.

On the women's side, top seeds scattered to the winds, but Serena Williams looks to have regained her form. So, everyone's watching to see if the conclusion that looks "inevitable" actually is. Hard to believe that the consensus #1 player in the world who has won five big titles this year would be considered to have had a disastrous season if she can't find two more wins this week.

Old July 9th, 2015, 12:54 am
Curse Breaker

So, in the intervening 10 months--Cilic claimed the U.S. Open title. Djokovic won Australia and Stan Wawrinka won the French in an upset over the Serb #1.

And Serena polished off the U.S. Open and started the year with a single exhibition defeat, one withdrawal in the semis at Indian Wells, and one defeat. But three consecutive majors (US, Aussie, French) with a spot in the semis against Sharapova. She seems to be playing her best tennis of the year at the moment. This could get very interesting.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports