Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

Pro Wrestling: WWE, TNA, ROH etc.

Old April 24th, 2010, 1:11 pm
Banned

Re: Pro Wrestling: WWE, TNA, ROH etc.

I was able to find a copy of WWF Wrestlemania X7 that isn't blurred as a result from the stupid lawsuit with the World Wildlife Fund. It's part of the "Tagged Classics" line, which removes the blurring. I imported it from the UK, but had to do so through someone who lives there as the product cannot be shipped to the U.S. through the seller. Here's the website I ordered it from if anyone is interested.

I no longer watch WWE but I will always watch matches from the Attitude era. I rented The Legacy of Stone Cold Steve Austin (my favorite wrestler) from Netflix and it is very enjoyable. Discs 1 and 2 from WWE Raw: 15th Anniversary will be arriving today.

The Attitude era is where it was at. The story lines were far superior and the matches even more so. Hell in the Cell, cage matches, Tables, Ladders, and Chairs matches, heads busted open: it was awesome.

Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2010, 7:15 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Sounds like you didn't enjoy the show very much. Sorry to hear that.
It's OK. PPV's vary. Some are good, some not so good.

Old June 11th, 2010, 6:20 pm
Sixth Year

I had a feeling Shawn would lose, but I hope he enjoys his retirement because he's done a lot for the company. Now he deserves some much needed time off.

I really like the storyline with Undertaker that they're doing now. I'm sure it'll be someone no one expects like maybe those NXT rookies. Those guys were brutal.

Loved Impact last night. Jay Lethal is awesome with his impression of Flair. He does it so well.

AJ: What does this label say?
Lethal: Wal-Mart!

Old June 12th, 2010, 4:16 am
Oracle Octopus

Fatal 4way is something to be waited upon, I really hope they air it live here...

Old January 7th, 2011, 10:02 pm
Secret Keeper

Carrying this over from the Rate the Last Film You've Seen thread in which we had a discussion following my viewing of The Wrestler...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeberanBlack View Post
Wrestling is not a sport and doesn't claim to be. It's scripted entertainment. Wrestling fans are fully aware of the scripted nature of the business. They can suspend their disbelief for the purposes of enjoying the show, in the same way a movie fan can do so to enjoy a film. My point about soap/drama fans is that it's rather absurd to mock wrestling for being scripted, when the entire membership of this site for example all enjoy a scripted episodic dramatic movie series.
Watch that documentary I mentioned and try telling us that still. I mean what do you have to say for all the young impressionable boys who watch that stuff and go out and try things in the backyard (ie bodyslams off roofs) not realizing what they see on the television is fake and has safety precautions and such? The worst thing however about pro wrestling they address is the condoning of violence towards women and even adults can be influenced by this, but I won't go into that further...

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; January 8th, 2011 at 10:27 am.
Old January 7th, 2011, 10:14 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Watch that documentary I mentioned and try telling us that still. I mean what do you have to say for all the young impressionable boys who watch that stuff and go out and try things in the backyard (ie jumping off roofs) not realizing what they see on the television is fake and has safety precautions and such? The worst thing however about pro wrestling they address is the condoning of violence towards women and even adults can be influenced by this, but I won't go into that further...
The kids are idiots and so are the parents? You can say the same thing about video games, but I don't see you complaining about them. Movies too. Michael Mann's Heat is terrible because it apparently was an influence on the shootout in North Hollywood back in 1997. These idiot kids caused every WWE DVD release to have a preface saying not to try it at home. As for condoning violence against women, that's utter nonsense. You won't find a single "wrestler" saying that hitting women is fine. Did that documentary, which is most likely completely biased, say that matches involving two females condone violence against women?

Last edited by NumberEight; January 7th, 2011 at 10:17 pm.
Old January 8th, 2011, 10:33 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Did that documentary, which is most likely completely biased, say that matches involving two females condone violence against women?
No, but what about Triple H's (or whatever the hell his name was) punishment of his wife? Or was it that douche Mike McMahon? I don't remember but they made it a spectacle and it infuriated me. He hit her, made her bark like a dog, rubbed her face in puke, etc. It is all on the doc. They were interviewing fans afterwards and they were all saying stuff like "she got what she deserved"...ugh, made me sick.

I can assure you if I ever have kids they will not be watching this ****

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; January 8th, 2011 at 10:39 am.
Old January 8th, 2011, 12:38 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
No, but what about Triple H's (or whatever the hell his name was) punishment of his wife? Or was it that douche Mike McMahon? I don't remember but they made it a spectacle and it infuriated me. He hit her, made her bark like a dog, rubbed her face in puke, etc. It is all on the doc. They were interviewing fans afterwards and they were all saying stuff like "she got what she deserved"...ugh, made me sick.

I can assure you if I ever have kids they will not be watching this ****
There is no such person as "Mike" McMahon. See the problem is that you are venting against wrestling without even possessing the relevant facts to do so. As for HHH, his wife (on-screen and off), has consistently been portrayed as a villain, so having her face a comeuppance is appropriate for her character, as is having Vince McMahon (who also was portraying a diabolical villain) make Trish Stratus strip and bark.

You may as well complain about Heath Ledger threatening the people of Gotham.

Quote:
Watch that documentary I mentioned and try telling us that still. I mean what do you have to say for all the young impressionable boys who watch that stuff and go out and try things in the backyard (ie bodyslams off roofs) not realizing what they see on the television is fake and has safety precautions and such? The worst thing however about pro wrestling they address is the condoning of violence towards women and even adults can be influenced by this, but I won't go into that further...
Impressionable boys often try to imitate things they see on TV. When I was a kid, I was a Ninja Turtle. It's up to parents to decide whether their children can tell the difference between reality and fantasy.

As for backyard wrestling, WWE has opposed it for years with the "Don't Try This At Home" campaign. All the supposed violence in WWE is presented in a way that cannot possibly be taken seriously.

Blaming society's ills on things on TV, movies, video games, music etc....is not a new thing. It's been used as a scapegoat for decades. It's a very lazy way of diverting responsibility away from actually parenting one's own child.

Last edited by AldeberanBlack; January 8th, 2011 at 12:45 pm.
Old May 21st, 2011, 12:05 am
Registered Animagus

R.I.P Randy Savage

http://www.kmbc.com/entertainment/27967188/detail.html

Old May 21st, 2011, 1:17 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

A tragedy. One of the greatest of all time. Immensely sad.

RIP Randy.

Old May 22nd, 2011, 5:03 pm
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf

Yes. A heartfelt farewell to Macho Man. He will be terribly missed. He was a true wrestling icon.

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
Old June 27th, 2011, 12:17 am
Sixth Year

Yes, he'll be missed.

Finally got The Best of WCW Monday Nitro on DVD, and I love it. It makes me miss those days, and I wish we could go back to them, but we can't.

Old June 27th, 2011, 4:35 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

1995-2001 was wrestling heaven

Two companies at each others throats.

I loved it. I miss the Monday Night War.

Old June 27th, 2011, 1:27 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeberanBlack View Post
1995-2001 was wrestling heaven

Two companies at each others throats.

I loved it. I miss the Monday Night War.
Agreed. WCW will always be my favorite federation. Had more memorable wrestlers than WWF/E at the time.

Old June 27th, 2011, 6:11 pm
Sixth Year

Yeah, and it had some good feuds, too. Diamond Dallas Page will always be my favorite wrestler, and his feud with "Macho Man" Randy Savage was epic. I'll never forget it.

Old June 27th, 2011, 6:39 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Savage vs DDP was a heated killer feud.

Watching it made me wonder what Vince McMahon was thinking when he insanely wanted Savage to be an announcer instead of an active wrestler (which is the rumoured likely reason why Savage left the WWF and why Vince had a grudge against him).

Savage still had a lot to offer from 1994 onwards as a wrestler for at least another 3-5 years.

Old June 27th, 2011, 7:46 pm
Registered Animagus

Sting is my favorite wrestler of all time. He was so amazing when he first became Black and White Sting.

Also I liked Booker T when he was in Harlem Heat. Harlem Heat was my favorite tag team of all time.

Top 5 favorite wrestlers:

Sting
Undertaker
Stone Cold Steve Austin
Lita
Goldberg

Old June 28th, 2011, 6:23 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Black and white Sting was an excellent character. It was only ruined at the end when Sting should have beaten a terrified Hogan at Starrcade 1997 in a glorified squash with a clean submission. But instead the Hogan ego prevented it and made Sting look weak.

Old June 28th, 2011, 6:50 pm
Sixth Year

I also liked the Red and Black NWO. They were cool. Also loved Harlem Heat, The Steiner Brothers, and the luchadores. Goldberg was awesome, too. I'm glad I've found people who like WCW the same as me. It's rare to find people who do.

Old June 28th, 2011, 7:13 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

From 1996-1998 WCW was top quality

It suffered when Goldberg and the NWO eventually ran their course.

When Vince Russo came in, it was the final nail in the coffin

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports