Old May 14th, 2010, 4:59 am
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

Re: NBA Basketball

great job Cavs

Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2010, 5:39 am
Curse Breaker

I defy anyone to explain these playoffs. Boston was given up for dead as they limped through the end of the season, even losing to the lowly Nets (who probably think that win cost them the crucial lottery ball) and yet they knocked off the Cavs and The Magic (two teams built to face each other more than anything else). So, it's Round 12 between the two most successful franchises in NBA history. It's got to just kill Nash to be two millimeters away from winning four straight off the Lakers and have to watch it evaporate like that.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old July 12th, 2010, 1:10 pm
Superman

So what do the NBA fans here think about LeBron's move to Miami and 'The Decision'? Although I didn't get to see it live it looked to be absolutely brutal. Felt a little sorry for Cleveland.

Old July 14th, 2010, 6:19 am
First Year

I thought that Lebron should of handled the situation differently. I think he should of told the Cavs personally that he wouldn't be returning. However, what Dan Gilbert said was uncalled for. Yes, he should be angry but there is no need to say that many bad things about the guy that more than doubled your team's worth in just 7 years.

Old July 15th, 2010, 7:34 am
Fourth Year

As a Heat fan living in Miami, I am extremely happy with LeBron's decision. However, I disagree with the manner in which he handled everything. There was no need for the one hour live special. At least all the proceeds went to the Boys and Girls Clubs of America.

Regarding the actual decision, he gave Cleveland his all for 7 years and as a free agent he had every right to sign with another team. Dan Gilbert's comments were atrocious and he will be regretting what he said down the road.

Old memories seldom fade
And bad habits die hard...
Old July 15th, 2010, 7:14 pm
First Year

I am an inordinately obsessive NBA/Milwaukee Bucks fan. Proof: Currently, I'm following summer league box scores religiously.

Now it's time to drop some knowledge on you all! Don't worry it'll go down smooth like a Reggie Miller 3.

Miami Heat fans should be required to carry cards around with them to prove that they were fans before July 9, 2010. Otherwise you can't prove you're not a bandwagon fan. The Heat couldn't even fill the building for a playoff game last year. How awful! Now the arena is going to be packed for every game with people that aren't even aware that walking without dribbling is illegal.

The one good thing that has come out of this whole ordeal is that the NBA finally have true villains. This is thanks to Lebron and his ridiculous one-hour special. It was a jerk move. That much is obvious. I want to like the Heat because I've been following Wade since his Marquette days, but I want the Bucks to meet the Heat in the playoffs and give them a whooping; everyone else in the league wants their team to do this as well.

But, here's the real question. How good will the Heat be? They're definitely title contenders. They can put three guys on the court that demand to be double-teamed. But can definitely meet a second round exit as well. In fact, I'd lean closer to the latter.

Here's some reasons: This strategy spits in the face of over 50 years of basketball history. If anyone thinks that you can win a title without role players and stars only then that only demeans the careers of guys like Robert Horry and Derek Fisher. At some point a non-star is going to need to make a play to save your season. This happens every year. Right now the Heat need these roles filled: rebounding (Bosh is a good rebounder, but definitely needs help), post defense, more outside shooting than Mike Miller, help defense and a solid second team to eat up minutes. The Heat have eaten up their cap space already. Normally, veteran free agents would be willing to take the miniumum to win a title, but with a lockout looming a lot of them want long-term contracts. I don't know if the Heat can offer that. Historically, this trio isn't better than Jordan/Pippen/Rodman, Bird/McHale/Parish or Magic/Kareem/Worthy. And those guys all needed role players.

Finally, this trio is a bit over-rated. Ok, not Lebron and D-Wade, they're top 5 guys. But Chris Bosh is. He's not a superstar. He's a borderline all-star. He's only made one all-NBA second team. He has no first or third teams. Currently, this means he's not a top 15 player. If he's my third best player, you're doing really well though. Also, how Wade and Lebron last? If they want to win, they'll have to play major minutes especially during the playoffs. That takes a toll on the body. Wade already has a serious injury history. Lebron's athleticism might fall faster than you think. Players that have gone from the high school to the pros fade faster than normal. Think about it: Kobe is 31 and has already had to adopt the playing style Jordan had when he was 36.

Man, do I want the Heat to lose.

Old July 29th, 2010, 7:26 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by segovi24 View Post
Man, do I want the Heat to lose.
Celtics fan here and I am certain that they will win...a lot. Riley is a personnel genius and he will get that roster filled out. I don't think we have much of a chance to get past them next year.

Then again, I gave my guys up for dead before the playoffs began. So what do I know?

Old September 3rd, 2010, 4:10 am
First Year

Pheonix Suns fan here. Steve Nash is my idol.

PROUD GRYFFINDOR
Old November 11th, 2010, 1:58 am
Curse Breaker

I am a spectator without affiliation. I was converted into a Bulls fan in the early '90s and stuck through the Tim Floyd years, but now I watch to be entertained. I respect guys like Duncan and Nash (and so hope that Phoenix might pull a miracle for the end of his career or that the Spurs might put a capstone on Duncan's Hall of Fame resume). I like watching Bryant score, but I'm ambivalent about the Lakers. I rooted for the Lebron-Cavs and will continue rooting for the Cavs. I can't abide the Heat.

So, here we go. The Lakers and Hornets are undefeated. Can the Hornets get their rookie coach to challenge Lawrence Frank's record of consecutive victories to open a career? Can the Lakers challenge the Rockets' record for wins to open a season? Can we get 11 losses for the Heat quickly so we don't have to listen to Bulls comparisons? Please?

Old December 11th, 2010, 1:02 am
First Year

As of last night, Celtics have won 8 games in a row!!

Old December 12th, 2010, 5:19 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensieve_master View Post
Celtics fan here and I am certain that they will win...a lot. Riley is a personnel genius and he will get that roster filled out. I don't think we have much of a chance to get past them next year.

Then again, I gave my guys up for dead before the playoffs began. So what do I know?
I love the Celtics, too. They have won eight in a row, and I hope that tomorrow [I believe] they can make it nine!!

Old December 29th, 2010, 11:05 pm
First Year

I'm a fan of basketball too, specifically, a fan of the Lakers (and truth be told the Sparks as well) - even before they started winning again. I don't think they'll win it all this year though, despite the strong start. I just don't want Miami to win the championship.

Old December 30th, 2010, 6:13 am
Curse Breaker

It seems like even though Duncan is headed the last few majestic strides into the sunset of his career, the Spurs are a force to be reckoned with this year.

Old March 19th, 2011, 1:30 am
Fourth Year

Derrick Rose is playing un-freeking-believable!

Old March 30th, 2011, 2:11 pm
First Year

Congrats Cavs fans, big victory for yall.

Old April 25th, 2011, 7:32 am
Fifth Year

Hornets Beat Lakers Again!!!!! 93/88

Old July 21st, 2011, 4:31 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picko View Post
So what do the NBA fans here think about LeBron's move to Miami and 'The Decision'? Although I didn't get to see it live it looked to be absolutely brutal. Felt a little sorry for Cleveland.
I thought the Decision was poorly thought out and unnecessary, but his move to Miami has proved to be a very good move. Cleveland's reaction (the way they acted when Miami came to town to play the Cavs) seemed over done, but then again I'm not a Cavs fan so I wouldn't understand I guess.

Old July 21st, 2011, 9:51 pm
First Year

I think Cleveland acted proportionately; They always seem to get the short straw in the sports world. I mean, my father still loathes the Ravens, because his favorite team was 'stolen' and became them.

Old July 25th, 2011, 12:24 am
Second Year

The Decision was definitely unnecessary.
There was absolutely no need for LeBron to make a huge media special just for his decision.
I don't blame him for the leaving the Cavs, but just doing it like that was unnecessary.
It's very likely that he will win a ring with the Heat, as they got to the Finals in the first year with him (which is the reason he left Cleveland)
The chemistry with the big 3 is only going to improve.

Pottermore Username: FireboltPurple63
Old August 1st, 2011, 6:37 pm
First Year

Favorite Teams:1.Boston Celtics
2.Portland Trailblazers
3.Denver Nuggets
4.Dallas Mavericks
5.Sacramento Kings

Least Favorite Teams:5.Detroit Pistons
4.New York Knicks
3.Orlando Magic