Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

NCAA Football thread

Old October 8th, 2007, 2:14 am
Fifth Year

Re: NCAA Football thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
Whoops on the Badgers, but not that surprising...

What do folks think was a bigger upset:
Appalacian State over Michigan; or
Stanford over USC.

By the Vegas line, the latter was a bigger upset. But, I still think the former was the bigger upset.
Thoughts?
I agree with Vegas. App St. may be 1-AA, but they're a national power, having won the last 2 national titles. Stanford is a Pac-10 doormat that has gotten slaughtered in every conference game this season.

I believe in a hill called Mount Calvary.
Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2007, 7:57 am
Curse Breaker

Looks like Captain Comeback has turned his team into surprise spoilers--he might actually rebuild them if he gets a handful marquee wins over the next two years. It is so strange to see Kentucky in the top 25 and South Florida (the team that didn't exist in 1990) in the top 10! The fighting Bulls might actually win the Big East and get an automatic BCS bid--I think we're going to have to get used to the idea that Boise State was no fluke, folks.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old October 14th, 2007, 3:45 am
Second Year

This is turning into the year of the upset, as #17 Kentucky knocked off #1 LSU today after 3 OTs.

Also, 59 year old Mike Flynt gave new meaning to the term "Senior" when he played for Sul Ross State today. That was a pretty cool story. He was cut from his college team before his senior year and still had a year of eligibility left, so he went back to school.

I'm not a Harry Potter addict. I choose to go to conventions, theme parks, book release parties and movie premiers and to spend hundreds of dollars per year on licensed merchandise. Continuously reading, discussing and analyzing the books is simply a hobby. I can stop any time I want to. No, I really mean it. Seriously. Addicts can't stop. That's the difference between me and an addict.

GalleonSickle4 on Pottermore
Wand- 13" Beech and Dragon Heartstring, unbending
Proud student of House
Old October 14th, 2007, 3:48 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

When was the last time that both the #1 and #2 lost in the same weekend this late in the season? Do we need to go back to the title game weekend a few years back where KState, UCLA, and someone else all lost the same day?
This is a year where it's dangerous to be a top-10 team.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old October 14th, 2007, 5:30 am
Second Year

I knew it was only a matter of time before Ohio State would make it to #1. Looks like their time is now. On the bright side, that means they'll lose next week.

I'm not a Harry Potter addict. I choose to go to conventions, theme parks, book release parties and movie premiers and to spend hundreds of dollars per year on licensed merchandise. Continuously reading, discussing and analyzing the books is simply a hobby. I can stop any time I want to. No, I really mean it. Seriously. Addicts can't stop. That's the difference between me and an addict.

GalleonSickle4 on Pottermore
Wand- 13" Beech and Dragon Heartstring, unbending
Proud student of House
Old October 15th, 2007, 10:02 pm
Curse Breaker

I watched Boston College play the sloppiest, ugliest, most undisciplined game in quite a few years against ND--they were a phantom holding call away from having to field an onside kick and BC is #3 in the country? They should have dropped like a stone after that eyesore of a game.

I think people were too quick to dismiss Kentucky after that South Carolina loss. How strange is it that South Florida, yeah, the Baby Bulls are #2 in the country now?

Old October 24th, 2007, 10:39 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post

I think people were too quick to dismiss Kentucky after that South Carolina loss. How strange is it that South Florida, yeah, the Baby Bulls are #2 in the country now?

Not anymore, South Florida loses 30-27 to Rutgers.

Old October 25th, 2007, 11:36 pm
Curse Breaker

Yes, now BC is in at the revolving #2 slot--frankly, neither BC nor Ohio State deserve the rankings they have. BC played PATHETIC football against Notre Dame (one of the few teams they could afford to do that against) and Ohio State had to hold on for dear life against Michigan State.

Old October 26th, 2007, 2:08 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

I feel a bit bad for BC tonight...they go into that game, their most important since Flutie was their QB, and they know that no one back home in Boston will be watching.
Matt Ryan and their D are for-real; I think they can pull it off tonight.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Old October 26th, 2007, 6:19 am
Curse Breaker

Congratulations to BC--a huge win for that program.

Old October 27th, 2007, 11:32 pm
First Year

Im an obsessed Notre Dame fan of 16 years. Since birth. I love the Irish! Yes, they are having a down year. But I love them! I go to every home game and at least one away game

I also like watching Alabama too!

Thanks meesha1971!

"Anyway, things that we lose always have a way of coming back to us in the end..."
Luna Lovegood
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Old October 28th, 2007, 2:54 am
Curse Breaker

Good to see a fellow ND fan here. It looks like this week might be the end of The Streak. It's been a truly wild season so far in college football. USC has two losses. None of the Florida teams is seriously competing. It looks like we're about to see Arizona State and Oregon in serious competition for a slot in the national title game, and Kansas has a real shot to go 8-0 for the first time in nearly 90 years (1909).

Old October 28th, 2007, 3:01 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

At least so far there hasn't been any major upsets this week - the teams that have gone down were beaten by other decent to good teams. A week of relative sanity, actually, though 3 top-ten teams lost (thus far).

ND will be back; maybe not next year, but soon.

Old October 30th, 2007, 9:25 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
Good to see a fellow ND fan here. It looks like this week might be the end of The Streak. It's been a truly wild season so far in college football. USC has two losses. None of the Florida teams is seriously competing. It looks like we're about to see Arizona State and Oregon in serious competition for a slot in the national title game, and Kansas has a real shot to go 8-0 for the first time in nearly 90 years (1909).

Good to see you too! Thought I was the only one!

Thanks meesha1971!

"Anyway, things that we lose always have a way of coming back to us in the end..."
Luna Lovegood
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Old November 4th, 2007, 1:31 am
Second Year

Whew! I can breathe again, as LSU just ran out the clock on Saban's (cue the Imperial March from Star Wars ) Crimson Tide. Ooooooo I am so glad that we beat his new team. I have nothing but respect for Alabama, and I wish their team the best, except for when they are playing us. That was one heck of a game.

Old November 4th, 2007, 1:47 am
First Year

My illini are up 34-10 at the half

Old November 4th, 2007, 3:06 am
Second Year

What happened to ND this weekend? Navy?

Old November 4th, 2007, 3:13 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

I am SO happy -- my favorite team, the Wolverines beat MSU by 4 points! Congratulations you guys, I'm proud of all of you! The final score was, 28 to 24.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old November 4th, 2007, 5:11 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

LSU and Oregon benefitted tremendously this weekend - both now have legit arguments to be in the title game. Personally I wouldn't mind Oregon leapfrogging both LSU and OK to get all the way to #2 - that was their second big win in a row.

I wasn't too surprised at BC losing...I am a fan of theirs, but I never envisioned them as national title material. BCS, sure. Just not title-game worthy.

I wouldn't be surprised if LSU and Oregon (or OK - Oregon) ends up being the title game. I could see Ohio St losing against Michigan.

Old November 4th, 2007, 4:55 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydude View Post
What happened to ND this weekend? Navy?
Always fun to see the domers lose.

Illinois has to play @ tOSU next week.
That will be our toughest game all year.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports