Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

NCAA Football thread

Old November 14th, 2007, 8:56 pm
Gwen's Auntie

Re: NCAA Football thread

Is anyone going to be watching the BYU vs. Utah game? Who do you think will win this year?

Last year's game was Amaaaazing! Even I (who does not really get into it) was off my feet, screaming towards the end.

Leave people better than you found them.”
― Marvin J. Ashton
Sponsored Links
Old November 14th, 2007, 9:09 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

This weeks' game for the Wolverines will a tough one against Ohio State. I have faith in them though, but they'll need more where that's coming from to beat them. Hopefully they'll come out on top though .

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old November 15th, 2007, 2:36 am
Second Year

Anybody else catch the Ohio State-Illinois game last weekend? #1 is a dangerous place to be this year. I'm not much of an Illini fan but it was nice to the the Buckeyes go down.

I'm not a Harry Potter addict. I choose to go to conventions, theme parks, book release parties and movie premiers and to spend hundreds of dollars per year on licensed merchandise. Continuously reading, discussing and analyzing the books is simply a hobby. I can stop any time I want to. No, I really mean it. Seriously. Addicts can't stop. That's the difference between me and an addict.

GalleonSickle4 on Pottermore
Wand- 13" Beech and Dragon Heartstring, unbending
Proud student of House
Old November 15th, 2007, 3:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastHorcrux View Post
Anybody else catch the Ohio State-Illinois game last weekend? #1 is a dangerous place to be this year. I'm not much of an Illini fan but it was nice to the the Buckeyes go down.
I didn't get the chance to see it, but it had to be a good game. Not looking forward to next weeks' game though -- Ohio State is going to be looking to get it's revenge... I don't envy the Wolverines one bit. They'll need to practice a lot and remain focused in order to beat them.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Old November 15th, 2007, 8:57 pm
Curse Breaker

And through it all, there sits Kansas--undefeated but an afterthought because of their cupcake nonconference schedule. I guess serious consideration would have to wait for the outcome of the Big 12 Title Game. If they get there unscathed and squeak out a win against the Sooners, then they should get a title shot against Oregon, or LSU, or whoever is left standing in this topsy-turvy football season.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old November 18th, 2007, 6:54 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
And through it all, there sits Kansas--undefeated but an afterthought because of their cupcake nonconference schedule. I guess serious consideration would have to wait for the outcome of the Big 12 Title Game. If they get there unscathed and squeak out a win against the Sooners, then they should get a title shot against Oregon, or LSU, or whoever is left standing in this topsy-turvy football season.
Actually, at the rate things are going, an Ohio State versus West Virginia matchup in the BCS Championship Game is no longer far-fetched. Even with a Plus One four-team playoff, it's still a zany mess because all the upsets are constantly changing the BCS #1 to #4 rankings.

Old November 18th, 2007, 6:57 pm

I'm depressed -- the Wolverines got run over by Ohio State. Gah... maybe next year .

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; November 19th, 2007 at 2:04 am.
Old November 24th, 2007, 1:10 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Yet another week where multiple top-5 teams are going to lose, with LSU going down in 3OT...again. They may be the nation's best team, but with two losses they're not going to make it into the title game.

Scenario I see playing out:
Either Mizzu or Kansas knocks the other out of the title race. WVU wins out, and Oklahoma beats the winner of Mizzu / Kansas in the Big 12 title game. If my math is correct, that'll leave West VA and OSU playing for the title - two teams that thought they had suffered title-shattering losses.

My early-season predictions / observations regarding a few really dominant teams and then several about-equal teams completely didn't pan out . This is one of the most parity-laden seasons in the past 10-15 years, with about 10 teams which can win on any given Saturday, plus another bunch of teams that can pull the occasional upset.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old November 24th, 2007, 1:28 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
Yet another week where multiple top-5 teams are going to lose, with LSU going down in 3OT...again. They may be the nation's best team, but with two losses they're not going to make it into the title game.

Scenario I see playing out:
Either Mizzu or Kansas knocks the other out of the title race. WVU wins out, and Oklahoma beats the winner of Mizzu / Kansas in the Big 12 title game. If my math is correct, that'll leave West VA and OSU playing for the title - two teams that thought they had suffered title-shattering losses.

My early-season predictions / observations regarding a few really dominant teams and then several about-equal teams completely didn't pan out . This is one of the most parity-laden seasons in the past 10-15 years, with about 10 teams which can win on any given Saturday, plus another bunch of teams that can pull the occasional upset.
I'm going to agree with you on your prediction, I don't see WVU losing to UConn. Kansas/Missouri is a tossup, but I don't see either of them beating Oklahoma IF Sam Bradford is healthy. If he doesn't play the BigXII title game or he isn't effective because he's hurt, KU/Mizzou could beat OU.

All opinions in the above post are the personal opinions of HouseStark, unless they are quoted from another source. Any and all views in the above post are purely opinion, unless they can be verified by scientific data or historical record.
Old November 24th, 2007, 1:37 am
First Year

I'll say this though: the 2007 season is where even with the Plus One four-team playoff we'd still have "Gryffindor vs. Slytherin" fistfights over which four teams deserve to be selected, given how strong parity has affected college football this year. Help.

Old November 24th, 2007, 7:25 am
Curse Breaker

It was a close game when Oklahoma beat the Tigers at home, earlier this year. A neutral site might be enough to give Mizzou their biggest win in over four decades. If Kansas wins, I think they have the talent to hang with and overcome those Sooners. The depressing thing is, it seems like a virtual lock that OSU will end up in the title game (probably primed to get run over again). At least we can say this for LSU--they win with grit and their losses are truly epic clashes.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old November 25th, 2007, 7:03 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
It was a close game when Oklahoma beat the Tigers at home, earlier this year. A neutral site might be enough to give Mizzou their biggest win in over four decades. If Kansas wins, I think they have the talent to hang with and overcome those Sooners. The depressing thing is, it seems like a virtual lock that OSU will end up in the title game (probably primed to get run over again). At least we can say this for LSU--they win with grit and their losses are truly epic clashes.
WVU is more of a lock than OSU. OSU only gets in the title game if Oklahoma beats Missouri imo.

All opinions in the above post are the personal opinions of HouseStark, unless they are quoted from another source. Any and all views in the above post are purely opinion, unless they can be verified by scientific data or historical record.
Old November 27th, 2007, 3:24 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

OSU needs one loss to get into the title game - they're not in a bad situation. West Va might lose (doubt it), but I could totally see OK beating Mizzu. But, I doubt both lose, so now it's a 2 out of 3 scenario for the title game, IMO.

If the title game is OSU / WV, that's one of the combos that at the beginning of the year wasn't that farfetched. After all the zaniness this season, it'll be two of the teams people were fairly "high" on going in.

However, if Mizzu gets in...I'd like to meet the folks who predicted they'd be there .

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Old November 28th, 2007, 12:45 am
Second Year

Aloha kakou! As a proud alum of the University of Hawai'i (with two degrees, mahalo nui loa!), I must advocate the position that the Mythical National Championship should be awarded to the Mighty Warriors once they have beaten Washington and gone 12-0 for the season!

Otherwise, the former Rainbows are looking at going to the Sugar Bowl (I will never be able to talk the wife into letting me hang out in New Orleans during New Years), The Fiesta Bowl (O.K., I could get there from Southern Cal, no problem) or better yet, if UCLA beats the hated Trojans this weekend, then UCLA goes to the Rose Bowl, and if OSU wins and gets into the BCS Championship Game - a meaningless act, since Hawai'i will already be the Champion, and since there will be no Big Ten school with a higher ranking than Hawai'i or ahead of Hawai'i in the BCS, then Hawai'i plays UCLA in the Grand Daddy of Them All, the Rose Bowl, which conveniently lies a scant two miles from my house here in Pasadena CA.

Go Buckeyes! Go Bruins!

Old December 2nd, 2007, 7:22 am
Second Year

In what has become typical in 2007, both No. 1 Missouri and No. 2 West Virginia lost today. It looks as though that will put Ohio State in the National Championship game afterall, something that was considered very unlikely after they lost to Illinois several weeks ago. As for who they'll play against, that's still up in the air. The most likely candidates include LSU, Virginia Tech, and Oklahoma. Georgia and Kansas are also possibilities.

I'm not a Harry Potter addict. I choose to go to conventions, theme parks, book release parties and movie premiers and to spend hundreds of dollars per year on licensed merchandise. Continuously reading, discussing and analyzing the books is simply a hobby. I can stop any time I want to. No, I really mean it. Seriously. Addicts can't stop. That's the difference between me and an addict.

Proud student of House
Old December 2nd, 2007, 4:14 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

For once there's real suspense about who's in the title game. If Ohio State wins it all, best analogy I can draw is Tennessee winning year after Peyton Manning left.

My vote goes to LSU. Two triple OT losses, SEC champion...jump back over GA and Kansas (the two teams not to be in title games). Second choice is OK - injured QB in one loss and beat a very good Missouri team twice. Third choice is VT - again, avenged one of their losses. However, I concede GA may be playing the best of the lot right now, but they did lose a couple times early.

Old December 2nd, 2007, 8:30 pm
First Year

Oh great--we're going to have a Ohio State vs LSU contest in the BCS Championship Game. Given Ohio State's "O-fer" record against SEC teams in bowl games....

Old December 2nd, 2007, 9:08 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoMan001 View Post
Oh great--we're going to have a Ohio State vs LSU contest in the BCS Championship Game. Given Ohio State's "O-fer" record against SEC teams in bowl games....
I don't think that's confirmed yet...about five teams could sneak in there. They're revealing tonight, yes?

I do think that OSU would lose to LSU. Unless it's in triple OT. Then you never know .

Old December 2nd, 2007, 10:21 pm
Second Year

The BCS poll doesn't come out until tonight, and that will determine the matchup. I don't think there is any doubt that Ohio State will be #1. The AP poll came out this morning and has LSU at #2; maybe that's what confused SactoMan001. I too think it will most likely be LSU, but there is no way of knowing for sure until the official poll comes out. This is the first time that I can remember so much uncertainty just hours before the release of the final poll. There are just so many teams that are so close it is hard to know how things will turn out. Regardless, I'll be rooting for Ohio State. I don't really like them, but an Ohio State victory benefits the Big 10, making it a small victory for my Purdue Boilermakers.

Proud student of House
Old December 2nd, 2007, 10:56 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Right after I posted I noticed the coach's poll came out too - and LSU was a handy #2 in that. That virtually ensured them getting into the game, because they're going to be top-3 in the computers, too. I was surprised they posted the coach's poll (I thought they'd keep both coach's and Harris secret until the selection show tonight). So, it is a virtual lock that the title game is LSU - OSU. It'd take a huge disparity between the coach's and Harris to overturn that.

I pick LSU by a couple TD's, if that's the matchup.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports