Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

NCAA Football thread

Old September 12th, 2009, 12:39 pm
Curse Breaker

Re: NCAA Football thread

I'm a fellow ND fan--sort of waiting for the other shoe to drop after that wild and wacky season opener where they put up a shutout and could have surrendered 28 points.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2009, 7:41 pm
Second Year

My Clemson Tigers looke like a joke in the 1st half, then looked like world-beaters. But the same result, a close loss

Old September 15th, 2009, 2:43 am
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
I'm a fellow ND fan--sort of waiting for the other shoe to drop after that wild and wacky season opener where they put up a shutout and could have surrendered 28 points.
Wasn't that Michigan game a heartbreaker? I was so upset. The last 3 seconds! OMG! I couldn't believe it.

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
Old September 15th, 2009, 6:07 am
Second Year

USC fan here.

Man, oh man, Matt Barkley and Joe McKnight saved our bacon. I must concede that Ohio State put up a great fight and I wish them success over the coming season...Not too much though, playing you in the Rose Bowl might not end the same way.

But still, 18-15 USC, and I'm breathing a sigh of relief.

"The problem isn't that there are too many fools, it's that the lightning isn't distributed correctly."
-Mark Twain

"There, did you think to kill me? There's no flesh and blood in this cloak to kill. There's only an idea. Ideas are bulletproof. Farewell."
-V

FIGHT ON!

Old September 15th, 2009, 6:52 am
Second Year

I go to the University of Maryland (UMD) so I root for them, even though they're off to a horrible start. They lost 52-13 to Caltech they're first game. Then we played JMU on Saturday and barely won 38-35 in overtime, when we should have won easily. Oh well.

Hufflepuff
Old September 15th, 2009, 9:01 pm
Fourth Year

Canes fan here. I went to the FSU game, what a game! Jacory Harris was incredible.
I think we have a good chance of beating Georgia Tech Thursday night. We were embarrassed last year in Atlanta. Time to get revenge in our home opener...

Old memories seldom fade
And bad habits die hard...
Old September 20th, 2009, 4:58 pm
Curse Breaker

Jacory Harris might bring the Canes back to prominence if he can sustain this level of play through an entire season.

The Michigan game was an exercise in teeth-gnashing. The MSU game was frustrating--and then Michael Floyd broke his collarbone and Clausen is hurt. If Clausen can't play, I believe that's the end of the season, because in order to win, the offense is going to have to win track meets from here on in.

Weird Saturday in college football. The USC turnover barrage finally cost them the game--is Barkley or Berkley or whatever his name is seriously injured or were they keeping him out because he's a freshman and they didn't want to risk real injury? If he's seriously hurt, Corp is going to have to get on the same page with his receivers. If he's not seriously hurt, he's going to be pressed back into the starting spot ASAP.

The FSU demolition of BYU in Provo makes that rivalry game on Labor Day look even more impressive.

Old October 5th, 2009, 12:45 am
First Year

wow what a crazy football season so far byu beats ou and then gets the beat down from fsu, usc beats osu and then loses to washington who then loses to stanford, miami beats fsu and gt but then loses by a twenty four to vt. i have been very impressed by the top three teams of alabama, florida, and texas to this point but we will see if that keeps up i guess you never know this year.

Old October 5th, 2009, 5:01 pm
Curse Breaker

Meanwhile ND has had one blowout win over a team that was supposed to be good and turned out to be having an off year and then is in four consecutive dogfights with teams of varying talent who all appear to be .500 ballclubs this year. If they can hang tough against USC, they might get some respect again but with the injuries, that's doubtful. A wild and wacky football season both in college and the pros.

Old December 11th, 2010, 12:12 pm
Third Year

Anybody looking forward to Army-Navy today? I grew up going to games at West Point and I absolutely love this game. It's my favorite sporting event of the year. Army finally made a Bowl game this year and they have had a pretty decent season (only one game where they scored less than 20 points and tha was vs Notre Dame) so I am hoping it is more competitive than the last few years.

GO ARMY! BEAT NAVY!

"We spent time here, we made friends here. Thatís a part of us.
Because Hogwarts is bigger than any of us, itís bigger than any of its Founders.
And it's gonna be around here long after weíre gone. Maybe weíll see our kids go here.
Thatís the thing about Hogwarts: no matter how long youíre away from it, thereís always a way back."
Old December 14th, 2010, 2:34 pm
Curse Breaker

Well they scored a touchdown for the first time in...was it 4 Navy games? However, that fumble return really seemed to deflate them.

Old January 1st, 2011, 1:36 am
First Year

The Gamecocks are so far underachieving in a bowl game. There's a surprise.

Old August 1st, 2011, 4:52 pm
First Year

I think the NC will be Stanford over LSU

Old September 5th, 2011, 9:11 pm
Sixth Year

I'm gonna bump this thread, cause it's football time!

I went to Auburn, have been an Auburn fan all my life (people that have been around for a while may even remember the blog posts from my time in the Auburn band, including the 2004 undefeated season). Saying this year is going to be a rebuilding year for the defending National Champs is putting it lightly. I'll be surprised if we make it to a bowl. That said, 62% of our starters are Freshman/Sophomores, so look for big things again soon.

LSU looks vicious this year, Alabama looks as solid as ever. I'd say the winner of their game is probably the BCS champion apparent. LSU's defense in particular looks brutal.

Outside of the SEC, I think Wisconsin looks pretty stacked this year, and I feel like Oklahoma is a bit overrated. Oregon is still probably the best team in the PAC-12, which tells me they're not ready for a title game this year. I predict the Big East and ACC to continue to be underwhelming.

i need you more than air when i'm not with you
please don't ask me why, just kiss me this time
my only dream is about you and i.
Old September 5th, 2011, 10:16 pm
Curse Breaker

It is bump time. There were a few upsets on opening weekend. Baylor built a huge lead, gave it all back, and then kicked the winning field goal. Good job Bears. The most epic fail of the weekend was Notre Dame in a game no one wanted to win. I say that because, up 10-0 in the second quarter, Holtz faced 4th-and-goal from about the six-inch line and kicked the field goal instead of going for the knockout blow. That was really odd because after the initial impressive drive killed by the fumble, the ND offense was already out of sync. Had they gone for it, the absolute worst that would have happened would have been giving ND the ball inside the 1. Not really a dangerous situation at that piont.

Also ND had their chances. The fumble, an interception in the endzone, an interception inside the five that hit the intended receiver in the upper chest (gotta catch those TJ, even if they're behind you). There were all kinds of chances. If Ruffer hits that field goal, that game might end up in overtime and that would have been an absolutely unholy mess.

I'm not sure why Crist was named the starter.

Boisie still looks impressive, thumping Georgia on the road. They're looking to be BCS busters again. Was it Auburn who escaped Utah State? Crazy, crazy weekend.

Purdue barely escaped. BC lost. A lot of the big kids crushed marshmallows but there were some very interesting games. On a side note--having escaped ND, USF has a decent shot to be 4-0 (having three marshmallows at home as their nonconference schedule) before entering Big East play. They beat UConn and Rutgers and they're bowl eligible (and then the free-for-all starts).

Old September 6th, 2011, 4:51 am
First Year

My favorite Teams
1.Boise State Broncos
2.Stanford Cardinal
3.Florida Gators
4.South Florida Bulls
5.USC Trojans

My least favorite teams
5.Georiga Buldogs
4.Alabama Crimson Tide
3.Oklahoma Sooners
2.Miami Hurricanes
1.Auburn Tigers

I'm so happy that Boise State won and LSU looked very impressive. If LSU continues to play like that, Les Miles will win COY.I was stunned when Scramento State beat Oregon State 29-28. I knew Notre Dame and TCU were going to lose.

Last edited by LightningScar97; September 6th, 2011 at 4:54 am.
Old September 6th, 2011, 9:10 am
Sixth Year

Boise can dream of busting the BCS all they want, it still won't happen. They're set to run the table again this season, but their strength of schedule will be too pitiful to even put them in over a 1-loss SEC team (even if it was somehow UGA). And honestly, that'll be the right move. Boise State playing a top-tier SEC team would be a massacre. Georgia will be lucky if they finish third in the east this year, playing the way they did.

Quote:
If LSU continues to play like that, Les Miles will win COY.
He's still Les Miles, consistency isn't his strong suit. But the defense he's got on the field this year may go a long way to fix that. They're outright terrifying.

Old September 6th, 2011, 1:09 pm
Curse Breaker

You knew ND would lose? Holy hyperbole there Robin. It seems as if everyone only watched the first half of that game and assumes that ND lost by three touchdowns. Based on how they played that half, should they have? Perhaps. Did they? No.

USF didn't go for the kill when they had the chance, let ND stay in the game in spite of how badly they played that half (and follow-up silly turnovers) and they had a legitimate shot to recover the onside kick and then throw it up and hope. Is it huge underperformance on both sides of the ball? Yes. Is it a major disappointment? Certainly. Is it a season-killer? As far as BCS bowls, yes. As far as a completely lost season? Not yet.

Dave. The strength of schedule isn't Boisie's fault. There's now way in the WORLD that Georgia as a one-loss SEC team should get in ahead of an undefeated Boisie team after getting embarrassed by them. There's no way an undefeated Auburn squad should get in ahead of an undefeated Boisie squad. Boisie is stymied geographically from entering the superconferences (unless, perhaps it's the PAC-17?) and the PAC seems to have started a downturn with the penalties levied against USC.

Old September 6th, 2011, 6:12 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
Dave. The strength of schedule isn't Boisie's fault. There's now way in the WORLD that Georgia as a one-loss SEC team should get in ahead of an undefeated Boisie team after getting embarrassed by them. There's no way an undefeated Auburn squad should get in ahead of an undefeated Boisie squad. Boisie is stymied geographically from entering the superconferences (unless, perhaps it's the PAC-17?) and the PAC seems to have started a downturn with the penalties levied against USC.
No, Boise's strength of schedule is not their fault, but it is what will continue to hold them back unless they make a move. We're entering a big realignment year for the conferences, it would be an ideal time for them to enter one of them. The PAC is trying to build a super-conference, and expand it's TV coverage, I can't imagine it would turn them down. The Big 12 is trying to stop hemorrhaging teams, I'm sure they'd be receptive as well. Though I'm relatively certain they already have it lined up, the SEC is supposedly looking for a team to bring in with A&M. There are lots of options.

Until they take one of them though, they'll be on the outside looking in. Completely hypothetical, but if UGA did run the table, they'd be beating 3 ranked teams in the regular season, then a top 5 team in the SEC championship game. They'd almost certainly pass an undefeated Boise team in the BCS. And even further into fantasy land, the Auburn example, they'd need to beat 7 ranked teams, 2 of them top 5 teams, to run the table. If that somehow happens, there's no way they don't at least get a chance to defend. (Neither UGA or AU will run the table, those are just example situations :P)

Old September 6th, 2011, 8:11 pm
Curse Breaker

Having done all that, Auburn would still have been outplayed and outclassed by a hungry USU squad that would by that point have gotten thrashed by Boisie. It would be silly to put either team in ahead of an undefeated Boisie squad, and setting up a rematch with Georgia in the national title game after Boisie already dismissed them in a defacto Georgia home game (no, it wasn't between the hedges, but the Georgia Dome isn't exactly what I'd call "neutral"). This is one of those instances when geography really does stymie an upwardly mobile program. They aren't close enough to the crumbling Big 12/8/whatever or the expanding Big Ten/Twelve/Fourteen. Even if they snuck into the PAC 17, most of those football programs aren't in their class and *** perceived weakness of the megaconference won't help.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports