Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

Martial Arts

Old September 10th, 2007, 4:23 am
First Year

Martial Arts

I'm a martial artist and do many forms of it. Do you do martial arts? If so, Whitch do you do? NOTE: despite the exteme unlikelyness of a 13 year old doing all these, I started alot of these about 2 years ago, only a few ive been doing for a while. A TON of these I have to do over the summer or durning a school break through means of webcam chat because of the lack of dojo's in america. It's also a male family tradition to know atleast 100 forms of martial arts by 13 but a certain rank is not required. It's also a male family tradition to be a body gaurd, somebody in law enforcement, or a job that uses martial arts. My dad's the only person who has broke this tradition by going into the oil buisness. I'm used to people doubting me about this so if you don't belive me, I don't really care.
I do( Took the list out due to lenght. If you would like the list of martial arts I do, Please PM me and I will give you the list but you may not PM me back with comments about the list, positive or negitive.

Last edited by dragonelf68; September 10th, 2007 at 1:40 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old October 5th, 2007, 6:26 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Martial Arts

I have been doing fencing for a few years. I also know some of the very basics of tae kwon do and judo and a coctail of moves taught by friends (I know many people who are into martial arts!).

I'd really like to know more about martial arts. I think that FCS would be very interesting, and another thing I'd really love would be fighting with a fan.

My Dark Lord? Sorry I disturb you,
but Muggles have started catching up with us...

My Harry Potter fanart
My deviantart page

Last edited by Dancing_Blade; October 5th, 2007 at 6:28 pm.
Old October 10th, 2007, 10:39 pm
Fourth Year

I am a first dan (First degree blackbelt) in Tae Kwon Do. I've been doing it for about 4 years now.

I like to look at other martial arts, though Tae Kwon Do has remained my favorite so far. My favorite weapon is the Nunchuks (nunchaku).

My favorite form.. I just recently learned Keumgang, and that's my favorite next to Tae Geuk 8 and Koryo. Ever since I was a white belt me and my friend wanted to learn Tae Geuk 8 because it looked so cool. :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonelf68 View Post
It's also a male family tradition to know atleast 100 forms of martial arts by 13 but a certain rank is not required.
I'm just curious, what's the point in learning all those styles if you have not LEARNED all of those styles (you know, by moving up ranks and sticking with it for a long time..)? or am I misunderstanding? I'm not meaning to be rude.

SHIP OF THE MOMENT:
Usako and Mamo-chan

Last edited by griffiegrrl; October 10th, 2007 at 10:44 pm.
Old October 10th, 2007, 11:03 pm
Fourth Year

I'm a black in karate, albeit we branched from "traditional" and got into a tournament circuit. I qualified for the WMAG in germany this summer but didnt get to go cause of visa issues...

my number 1 problem with the martial arts are people who think they know how to defend themselves just because of a strip of cloth on their waists... I know plenty and i mean PLENTY of people who would get totally destroyed if the situation ever arose for them to try and defend themselves yet they act all high and mighty because they have red/brown/black belts...

its ridiculous.. i will be honest im not close to the best in anything, but if anyone did try to mug me, they would get crushed... cocky people annoy me to no end... sorry i've been ranting.. last thing...

people who think twirling a featherweight hollow wooden staff at lightning speed is actually self defense... oh god... no disrepect to those who do it, because that requires and insane amount of skill... however those who think it will help protect them in a fight...

Old October 10th, 2007, 11:11 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by godrics hollow View Post
my number 1 problem with the martial arts are people who think they know how to defend themselves just because of a strip of cloth on their waists... I know plenty and i mean PLENTY of people who would get totally destroyed if the situation ever arose for them to try and defend themselves yet they act all high and mighty because they have red/brown/black belts...

people who think twirling a featherweight hollow wooden staff at lightning speed is actually self defense... oh god... no disrepect to those who do it, because that requires and insane amount of skill... however those who think it will help protect them in a fight...
I totally understand and agree. There is Bo staff, and then there is TOURNAMENT or DEMO Bo staff. Bo staff itself is self defense. Twirling featherwieght hollow wooden or aluminum staffs are for Tournaments and demos. That's cool, I like both. The only practical one is the first, of course.

I also agree about those who think they are all that. I admit that I would probably be able to defend myself, but I am still working on honing my skills. I need to up my self confidence, and that's one of the things you really need to be able to defend yourself. I admit I need to work on it. As my instructor put it, even though we are blackbelts now, does not mean it is the end of the journey. Far from it. Now we are like white belts again, being taught all over but on a different level. Our education is far from complete.

SHIP OF THE MOMENT:
Usako and Mamo-chan
Old October 15th, 2007, 8:35 pm
Gwen's Auntie

Hello Martial Arts people! So...Me and a bunch of girlfriends are going to do like this self-defense basic skills thing. Any recommendations on what kind of class we should take? Or if we should take one? Does this question even fit in this thread? It was the closest I could find.

Basically my self-defense skills are zero. I hold my keys like a knife when I walk to my car from work, because I work in a bad neighborhood all alone at night...but that's really all I know. And I don't think the key thing would be much use if something did happen, but I vaguely remember being taught to do that in a very very old self defense video.

Leave people better than you found them.”
― Marvin J. Ashton
Old October 16th, 2007, 12:30 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_attack View Post
Hello Martial Arts people! So...Me and a bunch of girlfriends are going to do like this self-defense basic skills thing. Any recommendations on what kind of class we should take? Or if we should take one? Does this question even fit in this thread? It was the closest I could find.

Basically my self-defense skills are zero. I hold my keys like a knife when I walk to my car from work, because I work in a bad neighborhood all alone at night...but that's really all I know. And I don't think the key thing would be much use if something did happen, but I vaguely remember being taught to do that in a very very old self defense video.
I'd look for a local Martial Arts school near you. Talk to the instructor inside, and talk with them about what you're looking for. Just say you are not there to get into Martial Arts per se, just that you and your girlfriends have been looking for some basic self-defense lessons. More than likely he could work something out for you, or at least refer you to somebody else that could help.

And a quick tip: If anyone grabbed you from behind and you couldn't move, try either stomping down as hard as you can on the top of their foot, or kicking backwards into the groin.

SHIP OF THE MOMENT:
Usako and Mamo-chan

Last edited by griffiegrrl; October 16th, 2007 at 12:32 pm.
Old October 19th, 2007, 6:11 pm
Second Year

Im a 3rd dan blackbelt in karate and have been doing it nearly for nearly 8 years. I love it so much and would never dream of giving it up. For a while now ive moved on from learning and teach more than i learn but this is still good for experience. Theres me and about 3 others who help run the club.

Quote:

its ridiculous.. i will be honest im not close to the best in anything, but if anyone did try to mug me, they would get crushed... cocky people annoy me to no end... sorry i've been ranting.. last thing
I agree with you godrics hollow im a black belt n could proberbly defend my self against most people but if a 6 foot macho man came up to me and attacked me for some reason, would i stand a chance? No, of course not im a small young woman n he would be strong man, it doesnt take a genius to work out the difference in strength no matter how good at karate i am.

"We dont want any more dobbys, do we? We cant order them to die for us-"

"Just because it's taken you three years to notice, Ron, doesn't mean no one else has spotted I'm a girl!"

Sorted!
Old October 20th, 2007, 2:13 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahlvinpotter View Post
Im a 3rd dan blackbelt in karate and have been doing it nearly for nearly 8 years. I love it so much and would never dream of giving it up. For a while now ive moved on from learning and teach more than i learn but this is still good for experience. Theres me and about 3 others who help run the club.

I agree with you godrics hollow im a black belt n could proberbly defend my self against most people but if a 6 foot macho man came up to me and attacked me for some reason, would i stand a chance? No, of course not im a small young woman n he would be strong man, it doesnt take a genius to work out the difference in strength no matter how good at karate i am.
Well, it depends on the situation. There are pressure points and things you could use if he pinned you down right, or whatever. There is always a CHANCE, but everything depends on the situation.

SHIP OF THE MOMENT:
Usako and Mamo-chan
Old October 21st, 2007, 8:22 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffiegrrl View Post
Well, it depends on the situation. There are pressure points and things you could use if he pinned you down right, or whatever. There is always a CHANCE, but everything depends on the situation.
I do get what you mean because depending on the situation anything could happen, there is adrenline to consider and a whole lot of other factors. What im trying to say is just because a person is whatever belt in a martial art doesnt mean they should take for granted the fact they are great fighters, because that isnt all that martial arts is about and size and other factors can make a difference.

"We dont want any more dobbys, do we? We cant order them to die for us-"

"Just because it's taken you three years to notice, Ron, doesn't mean no one else has spotted I'm a girl!"

Sorted!
Old October 21st, 2007, 11:41 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahlvinpotter View Post
I do get what you mean because depending on the situation anything could happen, there is adrenline to consider and a whole lot of other factors. What im trying to say is just because a person is whatever belt in a martial art doesnt mean they should take for granted the fact they are great fighters, because that isnt all that martial arts is about and size and other factors can make a difference.
I agree. If you have too much faith to yourself it makes you do mistakes. And this can happen in everything, not just in martial arts.
It's true that in a fight every single detail can count. Experience, strength, agility and speed, but also a place where you can stand to get advantage, tricks that startle the opponent and make him/her do mistakes-some psychology can sometimes save the day. Even the classic pointy pen in the pocket or an umbrella can be great weapons if you are cornered in a dark road (btw, has anyone ever tried umbrella fencing? It's a great laugh!) If you can see you are better in something than the tall muscular man that wants to harm you, I believe you should use it to your advance at once. I never had such a serius situation that I had to beat the **** out of someone before he let me go, but this way of thought has always worked for me till now.
For example, once 5-6 furious boys had surrounded me in the middle of a dark road and I got away without a scratch because of some foolish psychology trick (I think I was only 12 but it was still a sweet victory, saving my skin and most of my pride!)
But one of the best self-defences is never being alone, and do not act as a weak and fearful person. If you walk like you're afraid of your shadow it is like telling "I'm a victim". Bad idea! I try never doing it, but I carry a knife or umbrella in case it doesn't work I prefer the second, the knife scares some drunk hobos but the real hard guys might be 100% to take it and use it against you. But if you're quick enough you can use umbrellas-the ones with the sharp edge-to keep the distance. And give pain in a safer way than you probably would with the knife. That's what I think at least, cause I'm more comfortable with fencing than with carate. The more experienced people like you may have a diffrent opinion, though.

My Dark Lord? Sorry I disturb you,
but Muggles have started catching up with us...

My Harry Potter fanart
My deviantart page

Last edited by Dancing_Blade; October 22nd, 2007 at 1:31 pm.
Old October 25th, 2007, 1:19 am
Fourth Year

I agree. OVER confidence is definitely a bad idea. You get too full of yourself, and you think NOTHING can beat you. It's the whole Tortoise and the Hare thing. Also you get to over confident and you forget a lot of your training.

SHIP OF THE MOMENT:
Usako and Mamo-chan
Old January 17th, 2008, 9:44 am
First Year

Well, there are not much martial artists over here, are there? . I've been doing Pencak Silat for about two years now. I don't have a 'rank' yet, but in March I'll probably participate in the gradings. I don't know whether anyone knows what Pencak Silat is, but it's an indonesian martial art.

I don't think that the main point about self defense is how much skill you've got. I mean - everyone can deflect an attack & hit their attacker after a couple of training sessions. What skill is needed to step aside, possibly strike and run away? However, the core of the whole self defense thing is: are you willing to actually DO something?
A couple of months ago, I was threatened with a knife and even though I had my keys at the ready (in my pocket) and even though I've been trained in what to do, I still didn't do anything because I just couldn't. It wasn't from fear, it was because I knew what the implications of my actions would be (the person wielding the knife wasn't that skilled) - the whole thought of possibly maiming my opponent was just... And eventually, the situation resolved itself and, looking back, I'm glad I didn't do anything.
I mean, over confidence isn't what you need, but 'under confidence' isn't good either... If you want to use martial arts for self defense, you need to be confident in what you're doing. If you're not ready to kill someone, your skills will be quite useless because all techniques can go wrong and kill someone. I don't know how most of the people train their art, but my teacher teaches quite some techniques which could, when (accidentally) overdone, lead to permanent damage, like a strike to the eyes. Well, when you're nicely training in the gym/dojo, you'll not be thinking about 'if I were to do this for real, I'd poke someone's eye out' because you're either missing your partner on purpose or he's shielding his face with his hands or a pad. However, when it's for real, when you are about to use that technique, realization will kick in - I COULD blind someone with this technique - and, well, are you ready for that?
(I'm my example I'm using a 'pecut' - a whip-like strike to the eyes which is used in all the jurus (kihon) and seems to be very 'easy', it can be done very quickly and usually, you'll just do it without thinking. However, such a 'simple' and seemingly harmless technique CAN have disasterious results if you're not careful).

That kind of thought, deciding for yourself how far you want to go, is to my opinion more important than knowing the skills, because the skills in itself are quite simple. It's the 'mental' part that's hard.

Old March 2nd, 2008, 10:39 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonelf68 View Post
I'm a martial artist and do many forms of it. Do you do martial arts? If so, Whitch do you do? NOTE: despite the exteme unlikelyness of a 13 year old doing all these, I started alot of these about 2 years ago, only a few ive been doing for a while. A TON of these I have to do over the summer or durning a school break through means of webcam chat because of the lack of dojo's in america. It's also a male family tradition to know atleast 100 forms of martial arts by 13 but a certain rank is not required. It's also a male family tradition to be a body gaurd, somebody in law enforcement, or a job that uses martial arts. My dad's the only person who has broke this tradition by going into the oil buisness. I'm used to people doubting me about this so if you don't belive me, I don't really care.
I do( Took the list out due to lenght. If you would like the list of martial arts I do, Please PM me and I will give you the list but you may not PM me back with comments about the list, positive or negitive.
I believe you its easily possible(im 17):

3rd Degree Black Belt TKD
2nd Degree Black Belt HKD
2nd Degree Black Belt Karate
2nd Degree Black Belt Judo
Brown Belt Brazilian Jujutsu
1st Kyu Shorinji Kan Jiu Jitsu
Goshin Jujitsu
Kokondo
Kickboxing
Boxing

I'm going to indonesia to learn Pencak Silat this summer been doing them since the age of 6

Last edited by insenergy; March 3rd, 2008 at 1:47 am.
Old March 17th, 2008, 11:13 pm
Fourth Year

What type of weapons (if any) do you guys use? Right now I am training in Nunchaku, but I also do Bo Staff, Sword (Haidong Gumdo, I think it was called? Been a few years since I practiced that one), and Escrima. I've been wanting to learn Sai, but haven't yet.

Like I said, I am mainly training in Nunchuks right now. I'm just starting on double nunchaku.

SHIP OF THE MOMENT:
Usako and Mamo-chan
Old March 24th, 2008, 11:35 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by insenergy View Post
I believe you its easily possible(im 17):
I'm going to indonesia to learn Pencak Silat this summer been doing them since the age of 6
Nice! Where will you go and with whom will you be training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffiegrrl
What type of weapons (if any) do you guys use?
In our style is the cabang (it's a lot like a sai) and the staff (I think it's got the same length as a bo staff). I've only learned how to use a cabang, as we don't really emphasize the weapon part. My teacher thinks that it's important to master the unarmed part first. In Pencak Silat Setia Hati, the jurus (kihon/kata) each represent a certain principle ('how to block a certain kick' etc) and you'll have to master those first. If you've mastered the jurus, you'll also master the weapon quite easily, because you already know what to do with it. (by the way, it's not just 'knowing the movements of a jurus' but rather, 'knowing how to correctly incorporate the jurus in any other sequence / jurus / situation'. So you need to know how to use each seperate movement.)

I've also started training Iaido (japanese 'kata based' sword art) and well, in that art, we use the sword . The only problem is that bokken and iaito are really, really expensive so I don't own one yet...

I started Jodo around the same time (it's in the same dojo, and since the dojo is a 1,5 hr distance by train, it can't hurt to take advantage of the few times that I'm able to get there) adn in that art, the jo (staff of 128 m.) is used. That art is also quite kata based.

Quote:
I've been wanting to learn Sai, but haven't yet.
I don't know how long you've studied your particular art, but if you know a bit of the basis principles, it won't be too difficult... The only thing that's really 'hard' to get in the beginning, is how to 'flip' the sai. If you know how to do that, you could try to do a pattern (kata? poomsae?) with the sai in your hand - a couple of tries and you'll understand how it's to be used. Of course, there are lots of sai-specific techniques, but you don't need to learn them before knowing how to incorporating them in the unarmed part of your art.

Old March 28th, 2008, 5:54 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChingChuan View Post
Nice! Where will you go and with whom will you be training?
well i started martial arts at the age of 6 but pencak silat only about 2 years ago.

not sure yet 100% on indonesia its a toss up between boston or indonesia at the PGB White Crane school it has branches, im leaning towards boston.

Old March 28th, 2008, 6:10 pm
Third Year

hey guys!!
its a lil late but i used to do karate (imma loser so i hated my intructor and nvr came bakk agter like two weeks )

i also did kickboxing

i was in asia once and did some sword lessons
and i wish i could do the whole numchuk thing

i dont really do martial arts anymore tho
i just stik with sports and working out (im not a crazy buff girl tho)

for other hockey team supporters:
its too late to apologize... but its not to late to flamitize!
I'VE GOT A C FLAMING ON MY CHEST!

Proud member of GSWIA! (Guys Sound Wow with an Irish Accent!)

Snape always had a reason

http://www.calgary-city-maps.com/images/CalgaryFlames.gif
Old April 28th, 2008, 12:59 am
First Year

I have been learning Tae kwon do for about two and a half years and I love it. We learn self defence as well so if I am grabbed I know what to do. I like that fact that I can get away and or defend myself from someone if I am attacked. It's also fun to do and as a club we have a laugh.

Don't confuse the confuseable....

Music is my life I don't know where I would be without it....

Ribbit 0_______0

Old May 2nd, 2008, 2:28 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Hiya

It sounds like most of the people on this board do external martial arts - anyone do any of the internal martial arts?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports