Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

Tennis and Grand Slams

Old June 4th, 2008, 12:59 am
Curse Breaker

Re: Tennis and Grand Slams

Strange thing--Nadal comes across as brash and a little arrogant on the court--but he's supposed to be just about as nice as Federer both on and off the court. Speaking of Nadal--he just eviscerated Almagro today. I'm rooting for Federer to break through at the French and get one step closer to tying and surpassing Sampras.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2008, 4:17 pm
Sixth Year

YES!!!!! Nadal in Roland Garros final! Great match, and a gripping third set from Djokovic. But Rafa is Rafa.

I don't know why you say he's arrogant; I think him nice... Perhaps in the court he's a bit agressive, but outside he's very nice. Well, I obviously don't know him in person, but our media (I'm Spanish, too) follow him quite often, and he seems at least to have his head well set over his shoulders.

Old June 6th, 2008, 9:58 pm
Third Year

Nadal v. Federer part 4

I really don't think Federer is capable of beating Nadal at the French barring injury. Actually, with the way Nadal is playing right now, I don't think anyone is capable of beating him at the French barring injury.

All opinions in the above post are the personal opinions of HouseStark, unless they are quoted from another source. Any and all views in the above post are purely opinion, unless they can be verified by scientific data or historical record.
Old June 6th, 2008, 11:15 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseStark View Post
Nadal v. Federer part 4

I really don't think Federer is capable of beating Nadal at the French barring injury. Actually, with the way Nadal is playing right now, I don't think anyone is capable of beating him at the French barring injury.
I agree, Nadal seems to be playing his best tennis. Only his blister problem can ruin his final. Federer is playing alright, but Nadal's last few matches were just terrific.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old June 8th, 2008, 10:47 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Well done, Ana Ivanovic! Not only was she named one of the most beautiful women athletes ever, but she can also be proud of herself for being the world's number one tennis player today. To top it all off, didn't you think she looked so adorable when she tried to climb the platforms to reach her parents to share her moment of triumph? It was so spontaneous and so childish and just irresistible.

Meg: I'm a big tough girl. I tie my own sandals and everything.
(Hercules, 1997)

Old June 9th, 2008, 6:45 pm
Sixth Year

Aaaaaaaaaaand yes, Rafa Nadal, Roland Garros champion for the fourth time! Really, yesterday wasn't Federer's day. Poor man, it must be so frustrating for. But I must say, he's proved once more that he's a true gentleman.

Old June 27th, 2008, 7:48 pm
Fifth Year

ooh, I love Wimbledon. Bit of a shock today with Ivanovic going out to Zxeng (I think that's how you spell her name ), but I always supp ort the supposed underdog so was happy with the result.

I can't believe Djokovic has gone out - he was my favourite to win!

All the top seeds seem to be going out - Sharapova (3), Roddick (um...2?), Ivanovic (1). I'd love to see someone that no one's ever heard of win.

Tim Henman's doing a good job of commentating, methinks. Commentating for tennis must be very difficult - I mean, with football (soccer) you just have to say who's got the ball and passing to who and "nice tackle", "foul!", "he scores!!!", etc. But in tennis you really have to know what you're talking about, and comment on tactics and back up what you're saying with statistics. I'd just be "um"ing and "ah"ing if I had to do it.

"Six years ter the day since we met, Harry, d'yeh remember it?"
"Vaguely...didn't you smash down the front door, give Dudley a pig's tail and tell me I was a wizard?"
"I forge' the details."

Old July 5th, 2008, 5:19 pm
Fifth Year

Congrats to Venus Williams for winning the women's final! It must be tough having to play her own sister.

I'm just hoping Federar (sp?) will win tomorrow and make history with 6 wins in a row (I think it'll be no 6 anyway!)

Because of Edward Cullen...I'm staying single until I find a vampire
Old July 5th, 2008, 8:30 pm
First Year

Yes, it'll be Federer's sixth Wimbledon in a row and I'm also hoping he wins. But Nadal is playing so well, you never know.

Old July 6th, 2008, 9:31 pm
Sixth Year

The rain delays are killing me. I swear if they have to come back tomorrow...

I think the match has been good thus far. By the third set I had begun to think that Nadal had it wrapped up, but anything can happen once you make it to the fifth set...

As for the women's final, I think that was probably best match I had seen the Williams sister's play against each other. Sometimes you aren't really sure what to expect when the two of them get on the court against each other. I'm impressed they were able to come back out for the women's doubles final later in the day. I know often people will pull out of the doubles competition as they progress in singles to save themselves, so to speak.

Juniors rarely gets much of a mention here, but I know our coverage switched over yesterday to allow us to watch the last part of the girl's final yesterday, so we watch Laura Robson's win. It is difficult to tell from the States if it is actually considered a big deal, but I know every year you hear how long it has been since a Brit has won at Wimbledon. While I would guess this isn't quite what everyone has been hoping for, it was still a big moment for her, especially considering she is only 14.

What happens to a plimpy that comes to the Breakfast Club?
Search Tutorial ~ Search Engine ~ Forum Rules ~ Ask the Staff
Old July 6th, 2008, 10:29 pm
Third Year

What a match. Wow.

All opinions in the above post are the personal opinions of HouseStark, unless they are quoted from another source. Any and all views in the above post are purely opinion, unless they can be verified by scientific data or historical record.
Old July 6th, 2008, 10:40 pm
Second Year

Rafa...I love you!

What an amazing match.

When you 'bless my cotton socks,' please don't bless my cotton socks.

I wear Gold - Plated, diamond encrusted ones!

So indeed, it should be....'Bless your gold - plated, diamond encrusted socks'.

Toodles.

Proud member of GSWIA! (Guys Sound Wow with an Irish Accent!)
Old July 6th, 2008, 11:03 pm
Sixth Year

Amazing and long... Between the rain and the long sets, I thought they would have to come back tomorrow. Both of them deserved victory, though, of course, I love Rafa's won (national pride).

Old July 6th, 2008, 11:49 pm
Curse Breaker

Amazing, long, some of the best tennis played--so we're led to believe. Too bad they couldn't just carve the plate in half--also, two different points where Federer should have won that match. He's still the best, but the gap is miniscule now. He'll have to surrender the #1 ranking at the end of the year even with a win at the U.S. Open.

Old July 7th, 2008, 3:43 am
Third Year

That was such a great match!
I'm so happy Nadal won though, he really deserved it. I'm glad his knee didn't cause him much problems either .
Federer did brilliantly to come back from two sets down though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
Too bad they couldn't just carve the plate in half
Agreed, though Federer already has his fair share of Wimbledon titles

Old August 27th, 2008, 4:30 am
Sixth Year

Well, we've gone into the US Open and for the first time in a long time Roger Federer is not the first seed. He's had a bit of a rough time of it since that Wimbledon match. Though Rafa is a bit tired coming into this tournament (he's had a long summer), so we'll see how it shakes out, I guess.

I thought it was entertaining to see Federer when double's gold at the Olympics with Wawrinka. I've seen him when I lot of major titles, but rarely look so playful while doing it. I'm sure that isn't the gold he would have preferred, but they have been talking about him and London in 2012 since the location was under consideration.

No really big surprises so far this US Open it seems. Though Andy Roddick being coached by Patrick McEnroe (who does a lot of commentating in the US and coaches the US Davis Cup Team) seems a bit odd...but then, I'm not sure his year could get too much worse tennis-wise.

Old September 8th, 2008, 4:37 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

So Murray upsets Nadal for a spot in the finals. It was great to see Murray playing so well but unfortunate that Nadal didn't seem at his best (at least for the first two sets). It would have been cool to see Nadal win the French, Wimbledon, the Open, and the gold all in one year . . . but it's also good to see someone challenging the top players besides themselves. Federer is my fave, so I hope he pulls it out in the final.

Old September 10th, 2008, 7:04 pm
Curse Breaker

I actually missed the final--was it as lopsided as the score indicated? Congratulations to Federer--it'll be interesting to see how things shake out when he's not climbing out of that mono pit this winter.

Old September 11th, 2008, 2:16 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Federer definitely shone in the final, but Murray didn't play horribly. Murray didn't take it to Federer the way he did to Nadal, but he played pretty well in the first two sets. It's just that Federer was on top of his game, and he's pretty hard to beat when he plays that way. Murray definitely faded in the third set after that botched line call in the second. If he would have challenged that call, he would have been up a break and could have taken the second set, but he didn't and so Roger took the second. I felt kind of sad for Murray, but I was happy to see Federer win. There were some pretty amazing points in that match. I was so happy to see Federer going to net more often, changing up his game. And let's just be honest, Roger Federer playing that way is a thing of beauty.

Old September 11th, 2008, 4:09 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
I actually missed the final--was it as lopsided as the score indicated? Congratulations to Federer--it'll be interesting to see how things shake out when he's not climbing out of that mono pit this winter.
Did they even show the final on television? At least where I live in the US, I could only find the final available live online.

There were some parts of the final where Murray seemed in it, and like he might make a surge, but as greatly improved as Murray is in the past couple of seasons, Federer almost made him look like the old Andy Murray. I agree with freelantzer's assessment that he put in a better effort en route to the final than in the final itself. But playing Roger...First Grand Slam final...it's to be expected really. I'm sure we'll see better finals from him in the future.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports