Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

The NFL Football Thread v2

Old November 12th, 2007, 5:00 pm
Registered Animagus

Re: The NFL Football Thread v2

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathly721 View Post
The Colts are playing the Chiefs next week. At 4-5, that game should be a win for Indy.
As much as I HATE to say it, I believe you are right. This is one of those games that I will be doubting.

Though the Colts' loss to the Chargers puts up my spirits! Wow, what a game that was. I couldn't believe that last missed field goal. Chargers were LUCKY!

Old November 12th, 2007, 5:08 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Is there a good site to check up on the Win/Lose stats for each team? I googled it and only came up with predictions or past years

Old November 12th, 2007, 7:38 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
Everyone's allowed an off-game - Brady had his Denver(s). I was surprised that Indy lost, but two things should be noted: they almost won in spite of their two key players - Vinatieri and Manning - having really "off" days. Their defense kept them in that, and I highly doubt both those two will be misfiring that badly again. And they were shorthanded on offense (how they allowed that to happen, I don't know - injuries are one thing, but I thought they would have a couple more at least dress).

Who's Indy's next opponent? I feel like Indy's going to play angry next week and I think they're getting a blowout win.
Agreed on all points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEWEASLEYS04 View Post
Is there a good site to check up on the Win/Lose stats for each team? I googled it and only came up with predictions or past years
Can never go wrong at nfl.com http://www.nfl.com/standings

Old November 13th, 2007, 6:28 am
Second Year

24 hours later, still mad about the Colts game. I can't believe Peyton threw 6 interceptions in one game. Rex Grossman does that kind of thing, not Peyton Manning. The defense played awesome- they only gave up two scores, both of which were on a short field. The offense was simply awful, though I think that was largely due to all of the injuries. The O-line is in bad shape, and hopefully Marvin Harrison will be back soon. Some of the interceptions can be explained by poor protection from the injury plagued line, but some of those throws were just bad decisions by Peyton. Special teams has never been the Colts' strength, but they were really bad last night, allowing two returns for touchdowns. Yet somehow, they were still in it at the end. Can't believe Vinatieri missed that field goal.

As far as the officiating, the Colts really got screwed. There was that false whistle the stole the 94 yard interception return to the Chargers' 6 yard line away from the Colts, which would have almost certainly resulted in a TD. And the "false start" on 4th and inches late in the 4th quarter was a perfectly legal adjustment. Yes, the intent was to draw the defense offsides, but that by itself doesn't make the movement illegal.

I'm not a Harry Potter addict. I choose to go to conventions, theme parks, book release parties and movie premiers and to spend hundreds of dollars per year on licensed merchandise. Continuously reading, discussing and analyzing the books is simply a hobby. I can stop any time I want to. No, I really mean it. Seriously. Addicts can't stop. That's the difference between me and an addict.

GalleonSickle4 on Pottermore
Wand- 13" Beech and Dragon Heartstring, unbending
Proud student of House
Old November 13th, 2007, 8:53 am
Curse Breaker

I agree about the false whistle, but you have to understand something. The Chargers quit as soon as they heard the whistle, I thought--when I saw the play live, I kept waiting for that guy Sessions to get flagged for defensive Delay of Game for picking up an incomplete pass and running with it just for the heck of it. That was truly an incredible pick, right up there with Freeman's play against the Vikings a few years ago--and though it wasn't necesarily the game-winner, it would sure have been a game-changer if it had been correctly called.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old November 13th, 2007, 5:36 pm
Registered Animagus

Blah this was not my week for good predictions!

Last night's 49ers-Seahawks game was... well... I picked the 49ers and they got trampled over.

Old November 14th, 2007, 5:40 am
Second Year

WTHR (NBC affiliate in Indianapolis) is saying Dwight Freeney will need surgery and is most likely out for the season. That's bad news for the Colts. I can't remember them ever having a season with as many injury problems as they're having this year. As much as I hate to say it, Freeney's injury may be the nail in the coffin to the Colts' Super Bowl hopes. He's so important to Indy's Cover 2 scheme, and I can't see it functioning properly without him. They're already in danger of losing the #2 seed to Pittsburgh (they are now tied and the Steelers hold the tiebreaker) and if they're not careful they could lose the AFC South to Tennessee or Jacksonville. Hopefully they'll be okay, but for the first time I have serious doubts about it.

I'm not a Harry Potter addict. I choose to go to conventions, theme parks, book release parties and movie premiers and to spend hundreds of dollars per year on licensed merchandise. Continuously reading, discussing and analyzing the books is simply a hobby. I can stop any time I want to. No, I really mean it. Seriously. Addicts can't stop. That's the difference between me and an addict.

Proud student of House
Old November 14th, 2007, 5:15 pm
Registered Animagus

*sigh* looks like Brady Croyle will be replacing Damon Huard for the Chiefs against the Colts this Sunday. Huard may be out for the season.

And I think Priest Holmes is still going to start the game as well.

Old November 15th, 2007, 2:32 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

This is the time of year where the injuries are beginning to mount. It's almost too bad, in a way, that Indy's getting so ravaged so quickly. If and when the Pats square off with them again, I want it to be a fair-and-square rematch, not one that one team or the other can complain up a storm about the injuries killing their chances. Not that the coaches would ever do that, but it is an easy temptation to fall into as a fan.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old November 15th, 2007, 8:53 pm
Curse Breaker

Me either, but you have to remember that the Patriots fought through a slew of injuries to grab a title. In fact, didn't Bob Kraft say something about having a "league high in injuries" during his Lombardi Trophy remarks that year? Maybe it's time to give the Colts a chance to prove they can do the same thing.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old November 15th, 2007, 9:04 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
Me either, but you have to remember that the Patriots fought through a slew of injuries to grab a title. In fact, didn't Bob Kraft say something about having a "league high in injuries" during his Lombardi Trophy remarks that year? Maybe it's time to give the Colts a chance to prove they can do the same thing.
Yea, that's for sure ! They're a good team and all that -- they're just having some tough luck when it comes down to injuries this season . I certainly don't envy what they're (the Colts) going through right now.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old November 15th, 2007, 10:22 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
I forgot about that quote...dang, that blows apart half my argument. OK, Belicheck won't make excuses .

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old November 15th, 2007, 10:32 pm
Zonko's Employee

I know I sound biased against the Colts but honestly they deserved to lose that game. Sure they COULD have won, maybe even SHOULD have won, but they deserved to lose. San Diego didn't score at all the second half of that game. San Diego played so poorly that they were practically wrapping that game up as an early Christmas present for Indy. Yet Indy failed to get it done. You simply can't throw six (yikes!) interceptions, fail to covert for touchdowns in the red zone, and miss two field goals...you could maybe come back from one of those, maybe two, but certainly not three.

As for the Chargers...oh my word...I heard that Norv Turner actually PRAISED that game. That his team "hung in there". They didn't. Indy imploded. Only the San Diego special teams did anything noteworthy in my opinion.

On another note, Buffalo is above .500, and did it very quietly...I think that Pats will win it but Buffalo is a team that many other teams are going to have to contend with when the wild card roles around...

Old November 15th, 2007, 10:53 pm
Fifth Year

I saw Adrian Peterson got injured too. I suppose Chester Taylor should be able to pick up the slack though. Hopefully, the Raiders can capitalize on Peterson not being able to play though. That last game was just typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by flimseycauldron View Post
As for the Chargers...oh my word...I heard that Norv Turner actually PRAISED that game. That his team "hung in there". They didn't. Indy imploded. Only the San Diego special teams did anything noteworthy in my opinion.
Actually, he was publicly ticked off at the way they played. He said they stole a win and he doesn't even consider it a win.

Old November 15th, 2007, 11:50 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowPoofBall View Post
Actually, he was publicly ticked off at the way they played. He said they stole a win and he doesn't even consider it a win.
I will admit to hearsay, since it was a comment made on a local radio station about what he said to his team immediately after the game in the locker room...

Old November 16th, 2007, 4:27 am
Fourth Year

The Colts have no business complaining about the officiating after the Colts/Patriots game! Now the officiating and that game was so one sided with so many horrible penalties on the Pats and so many horrible non calls on the Colts, made me honestly think for a second are the refs being biased towards the Colts? Honestly I was pleased that the Colts got so many penalties thrown against the Pats and they STILL lost.

Yeah the blown whistle was a bad call but big deal, the Chargers offense was awful all night. Manning threw 6 INTs, Vinatraitor missed a 29 yard game winner?! Despite that call, the Colts deserved to lose. It was a pathetic performance by the Colts offense and Special Teams.

Old November 16th, 2007, 8:13 am
Third Year

1. Who is your favorite team?
The Patriots are the team that got me interested in football. I had a little interest, but never caught a 'good' game, and the first play I saw was a Vrabal touchdown. I thought it was unique, and been hooked on their offense ever since. I'm still a fan of Corey Dillon. I like teams that turn nobodies into somebodies, and the Patriots are that team.
2. Who do you think will win the Super Bowl?
The Patriots. But there is always the possibility of a bad game.
3. Who do you want to win the Super Bowl?
This one is obvious, so I'll fill in who I want to play in the super bowl. Green Bay and the Patriots. Let's give Favre another run. He's got more yards than Brady and Manning, less interceptions than Manning, and just as many touchdowns. Spectacular year.

It would be really great if I met a Fundamentalist Christian, to say, would you like to discuss the matter with Hagrid? - JKR
Old November 17th, 2007, 3:45 am
Second Year

Its that time of the week again.

Tampa Bay @ Atlanta
Picking against Atlanta has worked pretty well so far.

Cleveland @ Baltimore
The Ravens' defense is average and the offense is non-existent.

Arizona @ Cincinnati
The Bengals don't have much of a defense, but they're capable of scoring lots of points fast.

Carolina @ Green Bay
If it weren't for Tom Brady, I'd say Brett Favre is having an MVP year.

New Orleans @ Houston
The Texans are still struggling with injuries and despite the loss to the Rams last week, the Saints are playing well overall.

Kansas City @ Indianapolis
Despite the Colts' injury problems, they're still dangerous. A backup QB with an average offense doesn't have much of a chance at Indy.

San Diego @ Jacksonville
Last week's win at Tennessee was a big one. With the Colts in sight for the first time in years, the Jags are going to be in top form.

Oakland @ Minnesota
If he plays, Adrian Peterson will run over the Raiders. If not, Oakland just may steal this one.

Miami @ Philadelphia
The Dolphins will stay winless.

NY Giants @ Detroit
I admire what the Lions have done this year, but most of there wins were against teams that aren't very good. Arizona exposed them last week for what they are- a slightly above average team with a light schedule.

Pittsburgh @ NY Jets
With the Colts faltering, it could be argued that the Steelers are the 2nd best team in the AFC right now. I don't buy it, but they shouldn't have any problem beating the Jets.

Washington @ Dallas
The Cowboys are the top team in the NFC.

St. Louis @ San Francisco
If both teams play like they did last week, the Rams will win 2 in a row after opening with 8 straight losses.

Chicago @ Seattle
The Bears are tough to figure out. Lots of people thought Brian Greise would solve their problems, but it never happened. After playing awful as the starter earlier in the season, when Rex Grossman came in to replace the injured Brian Greise, he had a pretty good game. He has proven he has the talent to be an NFL starting QB, but lacks consistency. I don't necessarily believe the Bears will win (I wouldn't put money on it) but I believe they have a decent shot at pulling off the upset.

New England @ Buffalo
The Patriots better be careful though. The Bills are better than most people think, and I think they're still mad about the Cowboys game getting away from them the way it did. This would be a great opportunity to make a statement in a primetime game.

Tennessee @ Denver
A great primetime game because the playoff picture is taking shape now and both teams are in the fight in their respective divisions.

Proud student of House
Old November 17th, 2007, 4:19 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Tampa Bay @ Atlanta
Tampa Bay will win this game handily.

Cleveland @ Baltimore
Cleveland will win after a hard fought game against Baltimore.

Arizona @ Cincinnati
I hope Cincinnati can win this one -- especially after what Arizona did to the Lions last week. If they do win, it'll be a very close game.

Carolina @ Green Bay
Green Bay will have no trouble winning this game. Brett Favre is having a very good season this year, and he'll have no trouble guiding his team to victory.

New Orleans @ Houston
New Orleans will come out on top, beating Houston in a tough, close scoring game.

Kansas City @ Indianapolis
Even though Indy has a lot of injuries on their team as of now, they're still a big threat. They'll won't have much trouble beating Kansas City this week, in a hard fought game.

San Diego @ Jacksonville
The Chargers don't really have that much of a chance against Jacksonville this time around, who'll win the game this weekend.

Oakland @ Minnesota
Yea, the lesser of two not very good teams... Minnesota will win this game, beating the Raiders in a tough close scoring game.

Miami @ Philadelphia
The Dolphins will remain winless, as Philadelphia steam rolls them this week.

NY Giants @ Detroit
Ok, so I'm a dreamer (and a Lions fan -- last week, they were having a bad week) here -- but Detroit will beat the Giants, after playing a tough close scoring game.

Pittsburgh @ NY Jets
Pittsburgh has a very good team this year, and will have no problems beating the Jets.

Washington @ Dallas
Dallas has the better team this year, and will come out on top against Washington.

St. Louis @ San Francisco
St. Louis will beat San Francisco in a close scoring game.

Chicago @ Seattle
Seattle will end up beating the Bears after having played a tough game.

New England @ Buffalo
I know that this most likely won't happen . But I'm not a Patriots' fan. Buffalo will beat the Patriots in a close game.

Tennessee @ Denver
Tenessee will beat the Broncos in a tough and hard fought game.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old November 17th, 2007, 5:00 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
New England @ Buffalo
I know that this most likely won't happen . But I'm not a Patriots' fan. Buffalo will beat the Patriots in a close game.
Nothing wrong with dreaming. I'd like nothing better than to see the Bills win this one, and I think its not beyond the realm of possibility. As I said before, the Bills are a team that is underrated on talent and has something to prove. Beating the Patriots would definitely prove something.

The funny thing is, I'm a Colts fan so most people think I hate the Patriots, but that really isn't true. I enjoy the Patriots-Colts rivalry and will always root for the Colts when they meet, but I really don't dislike the Patriots that much as a team. (at least not as much as most of my friends) Putting the Manning-Brady rivalry aside, I admire Tom Brady's accomplishments. But I don't like Bill Belichick at all and would love to see him lose. Nobody can deny that he's a successful coach and will make the Hall of Fame but he lacks class, so I find it tough to respect him. But maybe I've set the bar too high. I'm a Colts fan and Coach Dungy is successful and one of the classiest guys in the game so I tend to compare other coaches to him.

Having said all that, the Patriots are the best team in the NFL right now and beating them is going to be tough. So best of luck to Buffalo, but I expect New England to go to 10-0.

Proud student of House
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports