Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

The NFL Football Thread v2

Old November 17th, 2007, 3:04 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Re: The NFL Football Thread v2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastHorcrux View Post
Nothing wrong with dreaming. I'd like nothing better than to see the Bills win this one, and I think its not beyond the realm of possibility. As I said before, the Bills are a team that is underrated on talent and has something to prove. Beating the Patriots would definitely prove something.

The funny thing is, I'm a Colts fan so most people think I hate the Patriots, but that really isn't true. I enjoy the Patriots-Colts rivalry and will always root for the Colts when they meet, but I really don't dislike the Patriots that much as a team. (at least not as much as most of my friends) Putting the Manning-Brady rivalry aside, I admire Tom Brady's accomplishments. But I don't like Bill Belichick at all and would love to see him lose. Nobody can deny that he's a successful coach and will make the Hall of Fame but he lacks class, so I find it tough to respect him. But maybe I've set the bar too high. I'm a Colts fan and Coach Dungy is successful and one of the classiest guys in the game so I tend to compare other coaches to him.

Having said all that, the Patriots are the best team in the NFL right now and beating them is going to be tough. So best of luck to Buffalo, but I expect New England to go to 10-0.
Thanks -- that's good, I'd love to see an underdog team come out on top, it would be pretty neat. That's the big reason why I don't like the Patriots, what's up with him -- to have cheated earlier in the season in the first place ? I respect the Colts coach, he seems to be a classy guy and a good coach overall.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2007, 5:05 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

As a Pats fan, I can understand how they've become the big bad bullies. Bill Simmons (accurately) says they've turned into the Yankees of the NFL (minus the lack of salary cap). Simmons is a die-hard Pats and Red Sox fan, too. However, to many of us Pats fans, we're still looking at it like "wow, wait, we've got the best team? And the best run team? . We never thought that'd ever be the case!".

There are many of us who remember Mosi Tatupu, the "Tony Eason Hail Mary", Chris Slade, Eugene Chung, earning the rights to Drew Bledsoe, and a whole string of futility, where they'd earned the nickname "Patsies". I imagine there's a lot of Colts fans who feel the same way about the pre-Manning era. For us, we're just enjoying the ride .

As a person, Dungy does seem more likabale than Belicheck. ESPN had a big article searching for Belicheck's teddy bear side yesterday - basically, he does have a human side, contrary to some people's perceptions - but he hides it well .

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old November 18th, 2007, 4:35 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
As a person, Dungy does seem more likabale than Belicheck. ESPN had a big article searching for Belicheck's teddy bear side yesterday - basically, he does have a human side, contrary to some people's perceptions - but he hides it well .
Belichick? Human? It can't be true. lol. Maybe, but to me he just doesn't seem like a very nice or likable person. He never smiles. I saw a photo of him scowling after the Patriots beat the Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI (2001). If winning the Super Bowl doesn't make you happy, what will? The last several times the Patriots have played the Colts he wouldn't even make eye contact or shake hands with Tony Dungy or any of the Colts players after the game. When this "videogate" thing started he said he didn't think the tape violated the rules and if it did it was an innocent "misinterpretation of NFL rules" that should be forgiven. That particular rule is one of only a few NFL rules that has absolutely no gray area- it states very clearly that photographing or taping (video or audio) signals is not OK. Signal stealing is not encouraged by the NFL, but not illegal. (not to mention almost completely unenforceable if they made it a rule) But there is a boundary and the Patriots crossed it. He almost never does interviews with the media. (the national media at least- I don't know if he talks to Boston reporters) I don't know if they're all true but I've heard several personal stories about him that paint him in a pretty bad light. (I won't list them here because I don't want to look like the jerk if they aren't true) He drowns puppies just for fun. OK so that last one isn't true, (as far as I know) but I still don't like him.

I'm not a Harry Potter addict. I choose to go to conventions, theme parks, book release parties and movie premiers and to spend hundreds of dollars per year on licensed merchandise. Continuously reading, discussing and analyzing the books is simply a hobby. I can stop any time I want to. No, I really mean it. Seriously. Addicts can't stop. That's the difference between me and an addict.

GalleonSickle4 on Pottermore
Wand- 13" Beech and Dragon Heartstring, unbending
Proud student of House
Old November 18th, 2007, 5:47 pm
Zonko's Employee

There's nothing wrong with Bill B. Is he cranky? Yeah. But I've never heard him utter a bad word about another team. In fact, I believe he over praises other teams. He and the media have a long history in which his war with the media pretty much killed his job in Cleveland. I think Bill learned his lesson with regards to the media and no longer lets the media drive his coaching decisions. How is that not classy? Was it not the Patriots that were the first team in how long to come out as a teams instead of as stars. Bill B. initiated that. Wasn't it Bill B. and the Patriots who take notorious malcontents and turn them into team players? How is that classless? Bill B. is a grouch but it does not make him classless. His one classless moment, and I admit blatant overconfidence, came by the whole spygate scandal, in which he did everything in his power to shoulder the sole blame, and keep his team focused when other coaches would have let their teams fall apart. Nobody is picture perfect.

Old November 19th, 2007, 1:05 am

Man I'm depressed , the Lions lost by 6 points, 16-10 to the Giants. I was really hoping that they could win this game, meh, maybe next year they can beat them.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Old November 19th, 2007, 1:35 am
Forum Elephant

Quote:
As a Pats fan, I can understand how they've become the big bad bullies. Bill Simmons (accurately) says they've turned into the Yankees of the NFL (minus the lack of salary cap). Simmons is a die-hard Pats and Red Sox fan, too. However, to many of us Pats fans, we're still looking at it like "wow, wait, we've got the best team? And the best run team? . We never thought that'd ever be the case!".

There are many of us who remember Mosi Tatupu, the "Tony Eason Hail Mary", Chris Slade, Eugene Chung, earning the rights to Drew Bledsoe, and a whole string of futility, where they'd earned the nickname "Patsies". I imagine there's a lot of Colts fans who feel the same way about the pre-Manning era. For us, we're just enjoying the ride .

Some Colts fans remember championships before Manning. Of course we are pretty old. Back then we had a pretty good QB, some guy named Unitas.

Vote your own issues. Nah, just vote the way I tell you to.
Old November 19th, 2007, 4:55 am
First Year

By the way, the Patriots are getting REALLY close to making this season uncompetitive. The way they beat up on the poor Bills reminds me of a Top 10 college team from about 12-15 years ago running up the score on a "directional school."

Old November 19th, 2007, 5:17 am
Fifth Year

Wow. That game was crazy. Pats were out of control.

"Pile up enough tomorrows and you'll find you've collected nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays."

~ sllagnire ~

Old November 19th, 2007, 3:48 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Yesterday Randy Moss and TO played a game of "Anything you can do I can do better"

Colts injuries are derailing them from my opinion that they're the second-best team of past 8-10 years. I suppose that they've found a way to win one of the two games that they clearly weren't themselves, and could have won the other, should be a good sign for the Colts fans. Maybe.

Yes, I know about Unitas Lupe . He just didn't play on the Indy version of the Colts.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Old November 19th, 2007, 5:29 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I missed the Packer game again and now my dad is saying that they won't broadcast the Dallas/Packer game up here either. If I miss that one heads will roll!!!

*can't wait to move back to Wisconsin*

How about that Brown's fieldgoal though, that was crazy!

Old November 19th, 2007, 6:30 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
As a Pats fan, I can understand how they've become the big bad bullies.
I found the Patriots tolerable until last night. 28-7, 4th and 1 inside the 20, and you're going to go for it??? What exactly are they trying to prove at this point? I'm surprised they didn't go for that 4th and inches in the 4th.

Quote:
Yesterday Randy Moss and TO played a game of "Anything you can do I can do better"
Despite what I said above , Randy Moss was incredible last night. 4 TDs in the first half! Both TO and Moss make it look too easy. The Cowboys game was on at the same time as the Bears game, and the contrast between receiving was so drastic I ended up watching the Dallas game instead. It's nice to watch a game where a receiver gets open more than once or twice for the whole game. Grossman only had one turnover, but it was when it really counted. Seattle ran all over Chicago's "defense."

I couldn't believe the way Chester Taylor dominated during Adrian Peterson's absence. I thought he'd pick up the slack, but he went way beyond what I thought he would do.

Steelers game was a total letdown. And I don't even want to talk about the Raiders...

Old November 19th, 2007, 7:47 pm
Curse Breaker

YellowPoofBall--The Pats actually did shut it down completely in the fourth quarter. They burned half of it running fulllback isolation plays to Heath Evans. At one point, they ran the same play four times in a row and got no fewer than four yards on each carry.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old November 21st, 2007, 4:11 pm
Registered Animagus

*holds back curses and swearwords*

I heard on the radio today that Priest Holmes is going to announce his retirement after he re-injured his neck at the game against the Colts on Sunday.

Old November 21st, 2007, 4:22 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Tomorrow's games:

Dallas, GB, Indy. Analysis might have to wait . Detroit - GB will be closest, IMO. The other two could be blowouts, even with Indy banged-up and just trying to get through the week before getting everyone back next week (Dungy even said as much Monday on NFL radio).

Old November 21st, 2007, 6:37 pm

Quote:
Tomorrow's games:

Dallas, GB, Indy. Analysis might have to wait . Detroit - GB will be closest, IMO. The other two could be blowouts, even with Indy banged-up and just trying to get through the week before getting everyone back next week (Dungy even said as much Monday on NFL radio).
Hmm -- interesting... I agree about the Detroit-GB game, the Lions have a good team this year and it should be a good one. As for the other two, it'll be a blowout, like you said. It'll be interesting to see how they all turn out.

Old November 21st, 2007, 6:57 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
Hmm -- interesting... I agree about the Detroit-GB game, the Lions have a good team this year and it should be a good one. As for the other two, it'll be a blowout, like you said. It'll be interesting to see how they all turn out.
Quote:
Dallas, GB, Indy. Analysis might have to wait . Detroit - GB will be closest, IMO.
Nah, Green Bay/Detroit is going to be a blow-out too. I am thinking of a Viking replay...

Okay seriously though, I agree it will probably be close, but in the end GB will win.

I love Turkey Day football I am excited to watch the games, too bad I have to visit with relatives too .

Old November 21st, 2007, 9:54 pm
Fifth Year

Even as someone who doesn't have Green Bay pictures plastered all over my sig and avi, I do think the GB/Detroit game has the potential to be a blowout. Detroit is coming off a couple of losses and there's a bit of wild-card pressure. I don't think their defense will hold Green Bay, and it looks to me like Kitna's performance is on a downward trend. But he was doing well earlier, so maybe he'll get it together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
*holds back curses and swearwords*

I heard on the radio today that Priest Holmes is going to announce his retirement after he re-injured his neck at the game against the Colts on Sunday.
I saw that too. It's disappointing, but for the best. The media doesn't seem to be putting Holmes in a very good light though.

Old November 21st, 2007, 10:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowPoofBall View Post
Even as someone who doesn't have Green Bay pictures plastered all over my sig and avi, I do think the GB/Detroit game has the potential to be a blowout. Detroit is coming off a couple of losses and there's a bit of wild-card pressure. I don't think their defense will hold Green Bay, and it looks to me like Kitna's performance is on a downward trend. But he was doing well earlier, so maybe he'll get it together.

I saw that too. It's disappointing, but for the best. The media doesn't seem to be putting Holmes in a very good light though.
Man, that stinks -- all that fans can hope for is that they get their butts back together and do the best that they can against Green Bay. Even though I think that GB will win, I certainly hope that the Lions can put on one heck of a game and give GB a hard time. Hopefully Kitna will get his game back together as well by tomorrow. My thoughts and prayers go out to him, in all hopes that he does .

Old November 22nd, 2007, 4:15 pm
Second Year

About the New England-Buffalo game, I fully expected New England to win, but I expected it to be one of their closer games, so the margin of victory surprised me a bit. Will New England go 16-0? I still don't think so, but they have the best opportunity of any team since the 1985 Chicago Bears. But as the Bears proved that year, there is always one that gets away from you. The Colts were almost as dominant in 2005 but after winning 13 straight they dropped 2 in a row in weeks 15 and 16 before finishing with a win in week 17. (although by that point in the season they were resting their starters, being locked into the #1 seed in the AFC so the legitimacy of those losses is no more than if New England loses in the same way) Winning 16 games in a row is much harder than most people recognize and that's why the Patriots won't do it.

Happy Thanksgiving to all the Americans out there. Everybody else, Happy Thursday, but I doubt there are many non-Americans reading a thread about the NFL. This was a short week in the NFL, with 3 games kicking off today. The rest will be on Sunday and Monday as usual. I'm so mad this week. My Colts are playing tonight on NFL Network, but Insight Cable doesn't carry NFLN, so I'm stuck using old-fashioned technology (radio) to enjoy the game. Now that the NFLN games have started I'm calling DirecTV next week so I don't have to worry about it anymore because they carry it on most of their basic and digital packages.

Green Bay @ Detroit
Detroit is having an OK season but they just aren't at the same level as Green Bay, which is still going full steam ahead. I thought Brett Favre's performance would fall off late in the season. There's still time, but no sign of it yet.

NY Jets @ Dallas
Umm... yeah.

Indianapolis @ Atlanta
The Colts are pretty beat up right now. I'm starting to suspect that Marvin Harrison's "bruised" knee is a bit more which is bad news for the Colts who are now down to one star receiver, who is now double teamed on almost every play. And as good as Reggie Wayne is, I don't think he was ready yet to step up and become the #1 receiver. I think the Colts can pull off a win in Atlanta though, and then take the long week to rest and heal.

New Orleans @ Carolina
What's the deal with the Saints? They go out one week and look like Super Bowl contenders then they embarrass themselves the next. New Orleans has proven that they can win this game, but they have also proven that they are just as capable of losing it.

Tennessee @ Cincinnati
This is a must win if the Titans want to keep their playoff hopes alive in the extremely competitive AFC.

Houston @ Cleveland
This is the fifth time this season I have picked the Browns. If you had told me in the preseason that I'd pick the Browns more than once or twice, I would have called you crazy. That said, the Texans are doing well right now and are no pushover.

Buffalo @ Jacksonville
Barring a complete collapse, the Jags have all but locked themselves into an AFC Wildcard and may even steal the AFC South if Indianapolis falters anymore. (doubtful looking at Indy's remaining schedule, but possible) But they have to keep winning to keep the pressure on Indy.

Oakland @ Kansas City
Both teams are out of the playoff picture, but Kansas City is better. I admire how the Chiefs completely dominated the first half of that game against Indy and were in it until the very end.

Minnesota @ NY Giants
The Vikings have Adrian Peterson, but their problem is that's all they have.

Seattle @ St. Louis
The Seahawks are one of those teams that I don't pay much attention to, but I do know that they're better than the Rams.

Washington @ Tampa Bay
Just because they're at home I guess. Another two teams that I don't follow closely.

San Francisco @ Arizona
With the possible exception of Miami, the 49ers are the worst team in the league, although I'm beginning to think that even Miami could beat them.

Denver @ Chicago
The "Curse of the Super Bowl Losers" may have taken a year off (sort of) for the 2006 season, but its back in full force in 2007.

Baltimore @ San Diego
The Chargers are another of those teams that fluctuates wildly from week to week. On paper, the Ravens appear to be a better team statistically right now. (albeit not by much) But they have consistently struggled to score and even if San Diego has one of their many off weeks, I don't see them scoring less than 20.

Philadelphia @ New England
I stand by my prediction that somebody will beat the Patriots before the end of the season, but I have no idea who, so I'll just keep picking them and hope that my pick is wrong.

Miami @ Pittsburgh
I'm 10-0 in my strategy of picking against the Dolphins.

I'm not a Harry Potter addict. I choose to go to conventions, theme parks, book release parties and movie premiers and to spend hundreds of dollars per year on licensed merchandise. Continuously reading, discussing and analyzing the books is simply a hobby. I can stop any time I want to. No, I really mean it. Seriously. Addicts can't stop. That's the difference between me and an addict.

GalleonSickle4 on Pottermore
Wand- 13" Beech and Dragon Heartstring, unbending
Proud student of House
Old November 23rd, 2007, 3:10 am
First Year

What on earth happened to the Steelers last week? My boys need to step it up again..Joey Porter is probably just gonna go after Ben..then comes Cincy...then comes the Pats

True greatness comes when you are tested-Theodore Roosevelt.

You improvise, you overcome, you adapt.
Proud firefighter

Proud Hufflepuff!
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports