Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

The NFL Football Thread v2

Old November 23rd, 2007, 3:18 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Re: The NFL Football Thread v2

The Lions lost... 37-26, by 9 points... not as bad of a loss as I thought it would be though. But still, a loss is a loss .

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2007, 12:06 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quick predictions:
New Orleans
Cincy
Cleveland
Jax
KC
Giants
Seattle
Tampa
Arizona
Denver (I can't figure out either of these teams...)
SD
NE
Pitt

Side note: the way the NFL cycles season-to-season has really made it hard for the MNF and SNF games to be "good". Especially the MNF games, where they don't have the option to bump a game from the afternoon slate down to the night game.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old November 24th, 2007, 6:20 am
Curse Breaker

LastHorcrux--But New England has already won more than 19 games in a row. That logic is both dangerous and strangely circular--the sort of logic that made the '72 Dolphins underdogs against Pardee's "Over-the-Hill Gang." To wit, "They've already won 16 games, they can't possibly keep this up." It's not a lock, or anything close to a lock that New England will go undefeated...BUT they have the week to week focus that Shula-led teams in the early '70s had. There have been other teams with statistical shots--some who've gotten close (the '85 Bears, the '90 Niners and Giants, the '91 Redskins, two Broncos teams in the late '90s, the '98 Vikings, and the '05 Colts come to mind) but either overconfidence or strain derailed these bids, though a few teams had major inherent flaws. For instance, the '90 Niners were, perhaps, the most unbalanced "dominant team" in history, without a single 100-yard rushing performance and through 10.5 games, the longest run from scrimmage was by Montana.

As for dominance, I think the stats and the way the games have been played would indicate that the Pats are more dominant (though maybe not much) than the Colts were in '05. Although, my impression that year was that the Colts had to get into a track meet with everyone because their defense was vulnerable. The commitment and focus that the "experts" are lauding in the Patriots can be attributed to the Colts' comeback in the AFC Title Game last season. In a way, the Colts are responsible for the current New England juggernaut.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old November 26th, 2007, 12:54 am
Inconceivable!

Did anyone see that crazy Bears-Broncos game? The Broncos should have won that game. They had such great plays. But somehow the Bears managed to win it. Hester got 14 of those points, minutes apart. It was crazy.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Old November 26th, 2007, 3:13 am
Fifth Year

Philly was scaring me a bit in the beginning, but I have faith in my Pats!!! Not looking all that bad.

"Pile up enough tomorrows and you'll find you've collected nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays."

~ sllagnire ~

Old November 26th, 2007, 4:15 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBones111 View Post
Did anyone see that crazy Bears-Broncos game? The Broncos should have won that game. They had such great plays. But somehow the Bears managed to win it. Hester got 14 of those points, minutes apart. It was crazy
We watched the last half here. That was a crazy game. We stared watching it when they were tied 13-13. I have to say I was rooting for the Broncos in this one too, even though all the Pros picked the Bears. The Bears did not impress me much and I wish the Broncos would have won.

Also the Vikings beat the Giants today in an outrageous score of 41 to something really low . I didn't catch the game but hearing the score I have a guess that Peterson might have played???

Okay so I am freaking out...I don't think the Green Bay/Dallas game will be airing up her in MN, I can't miss this game!

Last edited by LoveWeasleys; November 26th, 2007 at 4:20 am.
Old November 26th, 2007, 4:54 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEWEASLEYS04 View Post
Also the Vikings beat the Giants today in an outrageous score of 41 to something really low . I didn't catch the game but hearing the score I have a guess that Peterson might have played???

Okay so I am freaking out...I don't think the Green Bay/Dallas game will be airing up her in MN, I can't miss this game!
No, AP didn't play, which makes it even more surprising. Basically it came down to the fact that Eli Manning had a REALLY bad game. He threw 4 interceptions, 3 of which were returned for TDs. I'm not positive, but I believe the 4th resulted in a Minnesota TD drive, so that's 28 points just off interceptions. You won't win many games doing that. I feel kind of sorry for Eli. His entire family, including Peyton, was at the game watching. The final score was 41-17.

The Green Bay-Dallas game will be broadcast nationally on NFL Network Thursday night. So yes, it will be airing up there in Minnesota, but only if you get NFL Network. NFLN is included in most satellite and digital cable packages. Most standard cable customers do not get NFLN. That is going to make a LOT of people mad because it is a big game. Its the Patriots-Colts of the NFC. If you don't get NFLN, you're old enough (based on your profile) and most bars get all the sports channels. If you're in the Twin Cities area, there are several good sports bars in downtown Minneapolis. Not promoting or condoning drinking but its an option if you really want to see a game.

Just watched the end of the Philadelphia-New England game. Disappointing but not unexpected. I was surprised it was so close though. I've been saying it from the beginning. The Patriots ARE beatable. Its down to Pittsburgh and NY Giants- the only teams remaining on the Pats' schedule that have any legitimate shot at beating them, then of course the playoffs. Everybody remaining on their schedule and who might meet them in the playoffs is going to watch a LOT of tape from this game and the Indy game. I only caught the end of this game but from what I saw it looked like the Eagles were playing them a lot like the Colts did several weeks ago. Double cover Moss, rush Brady, and throw the ball down the middle. There is a formula to beat every team. But with some teams such as New England, knowing how to beat them and actually doing it are two different things. I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope it happens. I hate how everybody is already crowning them the Super Bowl champs. Nobody will deny that they are the best team in the NFL this year, but there is a reason that they actually go out and play the games. The Colts were the best team in the NFL for several years but only won the Super Bowl once. (and they arguably weren't the best team anymore when they finally did win it) I hope that this is another year where the best team doesn't win. If it can't be Indy, I'd love to see Green Bay win.

I'm not a Harry Potter addict. I choose to go to conventions, theme parks, book release parties and movie premiers and to spend hundreds of dollars per year on licensed merchandise. Continuously reading, discussing and analyzing the books is simply a hobby. I can stop any time I want to. No, I really mean it. Seriously. Addicts can't stop. That's the difference between me and an addict.

GalleonSickle4 on Pottermore
Wand- 13" Beech and Dragon Heartstring, unbending
Proud student of House

Last edited by TheLastHorcrux; November 26th, 2007 at 5:08 am.
Old November 26th, 2007, 2:18 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastHorcrux View Post
The Green Bay-Dallas game will be broadcast nationally on NFL Network Thursday night. So yes, it will be airing up there in Minnesota, but only if you get NFL Network. NFLN is included in most satellite and digital cable packages. Most standard cable customers do not get NFLN. That is going to make a LOT of people mad because it is a big game. Its the Patriots-Colts of the NFC. If you don't get NFLN, you're old enough (based on your profile) and most bars get all the sports channels.
Thanks! I don't think we have the NFLN network at home and I have a 15 month old, maybe we both could go to a sports bar . I just really don't want to miss this game! As you said it is a huge game for the NFC and I can't miss Farve! Gah! *shakes fist at the tv*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastHorcrux View Post
No, AP didn't play, which makes it even more surprising. Basically it came down to the fact that Eli Manning had a REALLY bad game. He threw 4 interceptions, 3 of which were returned for TDs. I'm not positive, but I believe the 4th resulted in a Minnesota TD drive, so that's 28 points just off interceptions. You won't win many games doing that. I feel kind of sorry for Eli. His entire family, including Peyton, was at the game watching. The final score was 41-17.
That is amazing that they were able to do so well without AP. But as you said the interceptions are what did the Giants in.

Old November 26th, 2007, 3:58 pm
Registered Animagus

One of the Redskins players, Sean Taylor was shot in the leg today during a burglary in his home...He is in surgery now.

Here is the story:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

Old November 26th, 2007, 8:13 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBones111 View Post
Did anyone see that crazy Bears-Broncos game? The Broncos should have won that game. They had such great plays. But somehow the Bears managed to win it. Hester got 14 of those points, minutes apart. It was crazy.
It was crazy! Sure, Cutler did well, but they didn't deserve to win if their defense couldn't contain a lousy Chicago offense. Grossman got the job done in the end, and Hester was amazing. That guy's going to be worth millions when his contract's up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sllagnire View Post
Philly was scaring me a bit in the beginning, but I have faith in my Pats!!! Not looking all that bad.
That first half was crazy too! They were going head to head; actually, if not for that kick-off run back, the Eagles were actually outplaying the Pats in the first half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
One of the Redskins players, Sean Taylor was shot in the leg today during a burglary in his home...He is in surgery now.

Here is the story:
Whoa, that sucks. It says he's in critical condition. Hope he makes it through.

Old November 26th, 2007, 8:47 pm
First Year

Quote:

Here is the story:
ugh, that's horrible. NFL players are not having a good year.

The Pats almost lost! That game gave me hope that the Steelers will be beat them, come Dec. 9. It can happen

Let's hope that Pittsburgh doesn't blow it againest Maimi like they did to NYJ.

True greatness comes when you are tested-Theodore Roosevelt.

You improvise, you overcome, you adapt.
Proud firefighter

Proud Hufflepuff!
Old November 26th, 2007, 8:51 pm

Quote:

Here is the story:
I heard about that this morning -- sad reallly. Hopefully, he'll make it through though.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Old November 27th, 2007, 1:37 am
Second Year

Looks like tonight's game is going to be a little... wet. Should be fun. Reminds me of some of my high school games a few years ago. Rain is the best weather for football... or at least the most fun.

I'm not a Harry Potter addict. I choose to go to conventions, theme parks, book release parties and movie premiers and to spend hundreds of dollars per year on licensed merchandise. Continuously reading, discussing and analyzing the books is simply a hobby. I can stop any time I want to. No, I really mean it. Seriously. Addicts can't stop. That's the difference between me and an addict.

Proud student of House
Old November 27th, 2007, 2:21 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Hopefully Taylor will be OK. When I first heard about it my mind drifted to some of this checkered past, but all accounts have this as being completely not his fault. I hope that holds up, and I hope he makes it though OK, too.

'Twas worried for a bit about the Pats / Eagles. In the end it's probably for the best that they face adversity a time or two before the playoffs, because after they start, they won't face three pushovers.

Um...why...kick...to...Hestor???

Monsoons = fun...except to be in the stands at .

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Old November 27th, 2007, 3:32 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
Hopefully Taylor will be OK. When I first heard about it my mind drifted to some of this checkered past, but all accounts have this as being completely not his fault. I hope that holds up, and I hope he makes it though OK, too.
Yeah I thought about that too. But as you said, it appears that this isn't his fault. It sounds like his surgery today was successful and it's not immediately life threatening. No word yet on what effect this will have on his football career.

Tonight's game is kind of crazy. Still no score late in the third quarter. Neither team is doing much offensively. This one could come down to a field goal off a turnover or even the rare NFL tie. I guess that would be almost a win for the Dolphins. They could avoid going 0-16 by going 0-15-1.

Proud student of House
Old November 27th, 2007, 3:39 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

this is the rare night that might actually produce the 0-0 game. When was the last one? I forget...it's a trivia question that kicks up every once in a while...

Old November 27th, 2007, 4:23 am
Second Year

They mentioned it on the broadcast. I don't remember though. Pittsburgh finally got a field goal with a few seconds left in the game and won 3-0.

Proud student of House
Old November 27th, 2007, 4:26 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

I guess it was a game 60 years ago or so that was 0-0. But, it still surpassed even the snowplow game for scoreless time and also for how much the weather affected it. The missed FG by Kris Brown was crazy.

Edit: Sean Taylor died this morning. No matter what happened, it's tragic. I won't be judgemental until the full story comes out, but it sounds like this story might stick around for a while, because of the previous break-in last week. And, Taylor's former lawyer was on CNN this morning talking about the incident - the intruder(s) burst into the bedroom shooting.

Last edited by Chris; November 27th, 2007 at 2:16 pm.
Old November 27th, 2007, 3:58 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Edit: Sean Taylor died this morning. No matter what happened, it's tragic. I won't be judgemental until the full story comes out, but it sounds like this story might stick around for a while, because of the previous break-in last week. And, Taylor's former lawyer was on CNN this morning talking about the incident - the intruder(s) burst into the bedroom shooting.
I thougt he would have made it through. It was a leg wound but he lost a lot of blood I guess. I only saw it less than an hour ago on ESPN.

Old November 27th, 2007, 4:50 pm

Quote:
I guess it was a game 60 years ago or so that was 0-0. But, it still surpassed even the snowplow game for scoreless time and also for how much the weather affected it. The missed FG by Kris Brown was crazy.

I heard about that on the morning news. It really is tragic what happened to him. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family .

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports