Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

The NFL Football Thread v2

Old November 27th, 2007, 6:19 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Re: The NFL Football Thread v2

What I've seen / heard is that it hit the femoral artery and his girlfriend was delayed from calling 911 because the phone line was cut and she had to wait until the intruders were gone. No fault of hers, in other words. CNN had an interview with his attorney this morn on one of their shows and that's where most of the info I have came from.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2007, 6:22 pm
BANNED... No really they are...

This is such a sad situation. I didn't know the severity of his wound until I read about it this morning.

ALL HAIL THE PIXIE QUEEN TINKIE!!
Mave, RN.
Winner of Happiest Hoggie Award (2011).
Old November 27th, 2007, 7:13 pm
Fifth Year

I couldn't believe it when I read it in the news this morning. What a tragedy It doesn't even matter about his history, nobody deserves that.

Old November 27th, 2007, 7:15 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowPoofBall View Post
I couldn't believe it when I read it in the news this morning. What a tragedy It doesn't even matter about his history, nobody deserves that.

I went to bed last night with the "hopeful" report being the last I heard. Then waking up to this was quite the surprise. I could barely hear my clock radio, but when I heard "Sean Taylor, 24", I knew .

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Old November 27th, 2007, 8:40 pm
Curse Breaker

We tend to forget that there are arteries in the extremities and having one severed by a gunshot is a serious, usually fatal injury. I was surprised and saddened as well. Even after the "Game of Muck" they were talking about hopeful signs, that he was responding to verbal stimuli. I figured he'd be on the road to recovery--but I guess the NFL exhausted its miracle recoveries for the year with Kevin Everett up walking around at the supermarket months after his neck injury.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old November 27th, 2007, 10:42 pm
Third Year

I'm a Skins fan, just terrible for something like this to happen.

All opinions in the above post are the personal opinions of HouseStark, unless they are quoted from another source. Any and all views in the above post are purely opinion, unless they can be verified by scientific data or historical record.
Old November 28th, 2007, 2:47 am
First Year

Oh, man, this just so terrible..so young! I just felt sick when I heard the news

True greatness comes when you are tested-Theodore Roosevelt.

You improvise, you overcome, you adapt.
Proud firefighter

Proud Hufflepuff!
Old November 28th, 2007, 4:53 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quick prediction for Thu night game:

Dallas in a close one. Green Bay has more experience in the close games, but I see Dallas getting the W. Missing Woodson will hurt vs. the passing attack.

The game will be available on local TV in the "home markets". But I don't know how far outside of Dallas and Green Bay the "home market" thing extends.

Old November 28th, 2007, 7:17 pm
Second Year

"Home market" is basically the cities of Dallas-Ft. Worth and Green Bay. I live just outside of Indianapolis and my cable company (Insight) turned off the local NBC feed partway through the game because apparently we weren't supposed to get it, which is bull because according to NFL rules we were and Insight had assured me a few days beforehand that I would be able to watch the game. So I canceled the cable and upgraded to DirecTV this week, so its not a problem anymore. I must say that's the best decision I've made. I get more channels and I get them in HD for less than I was paying for cable.

Anyway, my picks for this week:

Green Bay @ Dallas
I'd prefer to see Green Bay win, but I don't think they will. The Dallas offense is just too powerful and homefield advantage is big for Dallas. Texans take football pretty seriously (understatement of the year) and will make it their personal mission to make sure the Cowboys get the most out of homefield advantage.

San Francisco @ Carolina
So they won last week. Congrats 49ers, and remember it, because it won't happen again this season.

Jacksonville @ Indianapolis
Easily the toughest game remaining on the Colts' schedule. The Jags won't let the Colts get away with a slow start, but the Colts know that too. They will be ready because winning this one will all but seal the AFC South (not mathematically, but it will put the Colts 2 games up with all the tiebreakers) and keep them a game in front of Pittsburgh for the race for the #2 playoff seed.

San Diego @ Kansas City
The Chiefs have had a rough few weeks, but a lot of that can be blamed on injuries, many of which have now returned. I don't know what the deal has been with San Diego this year. In terms of talent they are arguably at least competitive with New England but they haven't been able to translate that into success on the field.

NY Jets @ Miami
The Dolphins finally get a win. Its against the Jets, but a win is a win and I'm sure the Dolphins and their fans will take it.

Detroit @ Minnesota
After a good start, the Lions have struggled in the last few weeks, while the Vikings seem to be getting better. If AP is back for Minnesota, this one might not even be close.

Seattle @ Philadelphia
After a tough loss to New England, the Eagles may find it tough to rebound. The Seahawks have been playing well and I don't see that changing.

Atlanta @ St. Louis
Going for 3 wins in 4 games.

Houston @ Tennessee
This is a must win for the Titans if they want to stay in the race for an AFC Wildcard. But it may already be too late. Jacksonville has a 2 game lead plus the tiebreaker and Cleveland has a very easy schedule.

Buffalo @ Washington
Wouldn't it be such a nice storybook ending if the Redskins got a big win this weekend? Well, that rarely happens in the NFL and I don't think it will happen this time.

Cleveland @ Arizona
Not only are the Browns going to win multiple games between now and the end of the season, but they are going to make the playoffs. They won't go far once they make it, but they'll make it. They have a very easy schedule and could easily win 4 out of their last 5.

Denver @ Oakland
With the exception of Oakland, which has been consistently bad, the AFC West has had problems with consistency. Picking the Broncos because I know they are easily the better team. Whether they actually play like one on Sunday remains to be seen.

Tampa Bay @ New Orleans
The Bucs have had a pretty good year and the Saints have been disappointing. Every time it looks like the Saints are about to turn things around they go out and have a bad game.

NY Giants @ Chicago
Rex Grossman once again is baffling fans by his sudden turn around. He's actually been playing well since his return. And in typical Giants fashion, the Giants are choking late in the season.

Cincinnati @ Pittsburgh
Lets just hope they get the field fixed in time.

New England @ Baltimore
Part of me thinks the Ravens defense might slow down the Patriots a little bit, but the formula to beat New England also involves the ability to score points.

I'm not a Harry Potter addict. I choose to go to conventions, theme parks, book release parties and movie premiers and to spend hundreds of dollars per year on licensed merchandise. Continuously reading, discussing and analyzing the books is simply a hobby. I can stop any time I want to. No, I really mean it. Seriously. Addicts can't stop. That's the difference between me and an addict.

GalleonSickle4 on Pottermore
Wand- 13" Beech and Dragon Heartstring, unbending
Proud student of House
Old November 28th, 2007, 11:24 pm
Curse Breaker

Go easy on San Fran--they're the team of my childhood (and they might still be my team if not for the parasite that is TO). It's basically a pick 'em game with Carr drowning as the Panthers' QB, the Niners might be able to squeeze one more win out of this miserable season and further lower the trade value of that pick the Patriots have coming.

Baltimore has the talent on defense to make Brady uncomfortable, but I see that same problem (where's the offense supposed to come from with Boller at the controls?).

About NY/Chicago--I'd love for the Bears to win and maintain the Giants' second half swoon, but do you really think Tom Coughlin is dumb enough to let his kickers and punters kick right at Devin Hester (aka The Chicago Offense) all day?

About NY/Miami--Clemmens is actually a decent QB prospect and the Jets should have just enough offense to flummox the hapless Phins.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old November 29th, 2007, 11:01 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Green Bay @ Dallas
Green Bay continues to win, beating Dallas in a hard fought game.

San Francisco @ Carolina
The 49'ers win in a close game against Carolina.

Jacksonville @ Indianapolis
Indianapolis will beat the Jaguars in a rout this week.

San Diego @ Kansas City
Kansas City will beat the downtrodden Chargers this week in a tough game.

NY Jets @ Miami
The Jets will run over Miami in a game that won't be that close.

Detroit @ Minnesota
What the hey . I'll root for the other team this time around, who knows what the outcome will be . Minnesota will beat Detroit in a hard-fought game.

Seattle @ Philadelphia
Go Seahawks!! The Seahawks will beat Philadelphia after playing a long and hard-fought game.

Atlanta @ St. Louis
The Rams will come out on top against the Falcons, this time around.

Houston @ Tennessee
The Titans will beat Houston in a close game.

Buffalo @ Washington
Buffalo will be the winner of this game against the Redskins. They'll come from behind to win a close game.

Cleveland @ Arizona
The Browns will win, after playing a spirited and hard-fought game against the Cardinals.

Denver @ Oakland
The Broncos will come out top against Oakland this year, since the Raiders haven't been playing that good this year.

Tampa Bay @ New Orleans
Tampa Bay will win this one against New Orleans, since New Orleans hasn't been playing as well as they usually do as of late.

NY Giants @ Chicago
The Bears will beat the Giants in a hard-fought game.

Cincinnati @ Pittsburgh
The Steelers are going to take this game against the Bengals, after playing a close and hard-fought game.

New England @ Baltimore
I know that the Ravens most likely won't win -- but I don't really like the Patriots that much, so I'll cheer for the opposition.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; November 29th, 2007 at 11:05 pm. Reason: forgot a few there :p
Old November 30th, 2007, 2:18 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Oh no!!! We lost . We just had way too many crucial injuries to be able to put up a chance to win. I heard that both Woodson and Favre were injured...Favre dislocating his left shoulder...ouch. Rogers put up a good fight from what I read, but alas we lost .

Well we could still play them again and hopefully we will have a much more healthy team.

*needs hugs*

Last edited by LoveWeasleys; November 30th, 2007 at 3:37 pm.
Old November 30th, 2007, 3:33 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Rogers played well - he wasn't the reason they lost

Romo is Dallas' QB

They lost primarily because of two early turnovers and a bad 15-minute span from late 1st quarter to 2nd quarter. Rest of the game they were about even, if not GB a bit better.

Old November 30th, 2007, 3:38 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
Romo is Dallas' QB
See what being emotinal does to me!

goes to edit post.

We didn't actually get to watch the game and just followed it on the net. But I went to bed before it was over so I missed how they did in the last half. I still hope we get to see them play each other again...

Old November 30th, 2007, 5:16 pm
Registered Animagus

Why wasn't the ruddy game on tv... I would have loved to watch it.

I saw on ESPN what the score was at half-time... 27-10 or something in favor of the Cowboys and I knew it was over for the Packers.

Old November 30th, 2007, 6:49 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Packers made a good game of it in the second half. The Cowboys benefitted from a couple of "missed" calls, but I don't think it changed the outcome. Favre's bad spell is what changed the game, along with missing KGB and Woodson (Owens lit them up in the first half).

I should have synched my radio with the TV, somehow. That would have made the watching experience better

Old November 30th, 2007, 7:58 pm
Zonko's Employee

I just had a feeling that Dallas was going to win this one. I tried watcing the game on the net but it only updated in 10 minute increments. At the end of the third Dallas was poised to score then Romo got the delay of game penalty...and then it was the end of the quarter and I didn't see the interception...I had no idea why they didn't score at least a field goal...Darn you NFL Network!***shakes fist***

I was psyched though that I went to the Pats-Eagles game...why does it have to be a nail biter the one time I actually go to Gillette?!?!? Great game though despite the freezing temps. The field looks much larger on TV than it does in real life....

Old November 30th, 2007, 8:00 pm
Fifth Year

I had to follow the game on the net too... and you got to watch it?? I'm so jealous

I watched the highlights too... I love how the announcers always call the blatantly wrong calls "questionnable calls."

flimsey, that's awesome that you got to go to that game! What a great game to watch live too...

Old November 30th, 2007, 8:27 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Well, that INT that killed the drive in the 4th quarter was a gift-wrapped TD for owens that bounced off him and into Al Harris' grateful hands. Luckiest INT he'll ever get - that was a perfect throw by Romo.

Old November 30th, 2007, 11:43 pm
First Year

Well I am a solid, hard-core Bears fan, so I just have to say that the Packers are our rivals so you can infer how I feel about the game.
Does anyone know how far out of the wild card the Bears are? I am clinging to all hope.

"Listening to the news! Again?"

"Well, it changes every day, you see," said Harry.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports