Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

Golf

Old February 4th, 2008, 11:55 am
Second Year

Golf

I saw no golf thread here, so I thought I would get one going.

Anyone here fans of golf? Who are your favorite players? Do you play? How good are you?

Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2008, 4:15 pm
Curse Breaker

Re: Golf

I became a fan of golf in '97 because of...guess who. I lack the coordination, vision and endurance for golf or pretty much any sport. I'm even hopeless at putt-putt. It's been an interesting start to the year. Tiger seems to be able to call on some of his best golf at the moment. He made one of his more impressive comebacks last weekend, and Phil came up just short in his own bid. Hard to believe that four years ago, Woods lost the #1 ranking to Vijay Singh when his lead is just about as commanding as it ever was (I read that the gap between Woods and Mickelson in points exceeds the gap between Mickelson and the man ranked 1000th in the world). The LPGA looks like it's about ready to get rolling and we'll see if Annika can reclaim her form or if Lorena Ochoa can solidify her status as the World #1.

I'm not a Senior Open guy, but I hope that Tom Kite has a good year. I don't follow Nationwide at all, but I hope Greg Chalmers gets his PGA card back.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old February 5th, 2008, 9:44 pm
Third Year

I enjoy watching golf highlights, but not a fan of any particular golfer.

As for playing: I started about a year ago, I get horribly frustrated as I can't putt to save my life and I am a really bad player. I do however really love driving ranges.

GOFLAMESGO!!!
Old February 5th, 2008, 10:20 pm
Third Year

I'm decent at golf. My putting needs work though. My dad watched the golf channel like 5 hours a day. He's a huge Tiger fan so that's sorta rubbed off on me.

Old February 6th, 2008, 1:38 am
Second Year

I gotta go with Tiger. Love watching him play. It sure looks like he could have a big year.

I discovered playing golf in August. I love it! I just need to work on it a lot. I've gotten 20 shots better than when I started, I just need to work on consistancy. For a while there, my short game was my strong point. But the grass here is terrible right now, and the ground is either frozen, or mushy, so it's made it harder for me.

I kind of have hopes if I can get my handicap way down of trying to get on some small pro tour or something.

Old February 7th, 2008, 6:15 pm
Curse Breaker

I hope the rumors about Tiger skipping Northern Trust are wrong. It'd be cool to see him compete and maybe win at Riviera (do something Arnie and Jack never did). Besides, didn't they beef up their prize money and redesign their trophy to entice him back (he played 9 times as a pro and twice as an amateur before he quit coming back).

Old February 8th, 2008, 3:35 am
Second Year

I've never gotten into watching professional golf, but I do enjoy playing. I have a membership at one of the local country courses and try to play at least 1 round a week when its warm and the course is open. I also play occasionally with friends/business associates that have memberships at other courses and sometimes at a local public course.

I'm not a Harry Potter addict. I choose to go to conventions, theme parks, book release parties and movie premiers and to spend hundreds of dollars per year on licensed merchandise. Continuously reading, discussing and analyzing the books is simply a hobby. I can stop any time I want to. No, I really mean it. Seriously. Addicts can't stop. That's the difference between me and an addict.

GalleonSickle4 on Pottermore
Wand- 13" Beech and Dragon Heartstring, unbending
Proud student of House
Old February 25th, 2008, 3:31 pm
Curse Breaker

Anyone watch the Accenture Match Play last week? Wow, I guess Tiger really is dialed in the way he was 8 years ago.

Old February 28th, 2008, 9:55 pm
Second Year

I did watch some of that. Tiger is just amazing. I would not be suprised if he did not lose at all this year.

Old February 29th, 2008, 2:05 am
Curse Breaker

Let's put it this way. In every individual tournament where he tees it up (particularly when his putting and short game are this sharp), I appreciate his talent and am not surprised when he wins--but going undefeated in golf at the PGA level--that's unbelievably harder than a team undefeated season in any major sport--the only thing I might compare it to would be top-flight tennis.

I really hope Tiger does excellently at Bay Hill in a couple weeks--I think he will, but it's very enjoyable to see him on his game.

Old March 1st, 2008, 10:04 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
Let's put it this way. In every individual tournament where he tees it up (particularly when his putting and short game are this sharp), I appreciate his talent and am not surprised when he wins--but going undefeated in golf at the PGA level--that's unbelievably harder than a team undefeated season in any major sport--the only thing I might compare it to would be top-flight tennis.

I really hope Tiger does excellently at Bay Hill in a couple weeks--I think he will, but it's very enjoyable to see him on his game.
Tiger is easily the best player in the world, maybe ever. Nicklaus is the only one I have ever seen in his league. I think Tiger was the number one sport money earner in 2007 at $115 Million.

I would like to see someone who was given those gifts to put more into society though. He did contribute $9.7 Million to charity last year and has a foundation that generates funds, but I want to see more. I'm not singling out Tiger here as I expect so much more from all atheletes who can end up being role models for younger folks.

My game recently went downhill due to disc problems. I donated my clubs to a local down and out high school golf team - First Tee is very popular also. I still watch though. With the men driving 300+ yrd regularly and often in the 400 yard range, that is such a different game than what I know. I watch the LPGA. Their length is closer to what mine was, the golf courses are similar to what I used to play and I can relate to their shots a lot better.

I think Lorena Ochoa will match Tiger's output this year on the ladies side.

Old March 2nd, 2008, 7:00 am
Curse Breaker

It's possible that Ochoa will match Tiger--but I don't think we've heard the last of Sorenstam, Creamer, or Pressel.

There have been rumors of a master plan beyond golf that involves work with children--but no one knows what that might be yet (even Earl didn't know). God-willing, we'll find out in the next 15 years.

Old March 3rd, 2008, 11:46 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
It's possible that Ochoa will match Tiger--but I don't think we've heard the last of Sorenstam, Creamer, or Pressel.
You know, I used to watch PGA golf regularly. When Vijay moved ahead of Tiger a couple years back, I thought that this was great for competition. This year, Tiger looks unbeatable. Now, when there is a tournament when Tiger's in it, practically speaking, everyone is playing for second place. Even the Las Vegas odds makers have him as odds on favorite in any tournament he's in.

This is one reason I switched to the LPGA and even the Champions tour. I do expect to see Annika do well this year, and with Creamer, Webb, Kerr, and many others, Lorena has more competition. One victory and one second place for Annika already in three tournaments.

Personally though, I have two signed autograph pictures of Arnold Palmer. I was a member of Arnie's Army way back when and even played in Latrobe and Ligonier, where Arnie played.

Old March 4th, 2008, 2:20 am
First Year

i play a little bit of mini golf if that counts :P

Old March 4th, 2008, 8:30 pm
First Year

Tiger is the best. He has won six out of his last seven tournaments he has entered, and five straight. I love playing golf, too. I just broke 80 for my first time this summer shooting 78. On 18 holes of course.

Old March 6th, 2008, 7:18 pm
Second Year

I would love to be able to shoot a round any where near that good. The best I shoot is about 103. I started not too long ago though, so I expect to improve.

Need to improve on my drives, I slice way too much. My chipping and putting need help, but my chipping has gotten better. I just need to limit my puts to 1 or 2 times per hole. That would cut down my score big time.

Old March 7th, 2008, 4:59 pm
Curse Breaker

dakine--I understand you crave competition, but what will you do if Ochoa turns on the afterburners for a whole season?

I know Tiger's dominance gets boring to some, but I can't comprehend why. We're seeing one of the best golfers of all time at his absolute peak (we think). Were there those who thought it was boring to watch Ruth in the '20s? Or MJ and the Bulls in the '90s (in the '80s they were building so, that probably doesn't count)?

Old March 17th, 2008, 5:39 pm
Third Year

I play High-school golf so I'm a big fan... I like Phil and Sergio.

Two of the oddest men you would ever meet.

Supporter of splitting at shell cottage after Dobby's Heroic death.
Old March 17th, 2008, 6:36 pm
Curse Breaker

Welcome to the thread. Phil's game looks strong this year with Harmon as his coach--but I get the impression he's still rounding into form. If he's locked in for the Masters, it could be quite a duel, waking up the echoes of past legends.

Old August 3rd, 2008, 9:00 pm
Second Year

Thank God theres a Golf thread here!

I love golf and play regularly. I shoot mid-low 80's on a par 70 course. But its not that long ago I was struggeling to break 100. Improving steadily!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports