Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

Golf

Old August 3rd, 2008, 10:18 pm
Seventh Year

Re: Golf

I really enjoy playing golf, although I don't really have time to play as much as I'd like to. There's hundreds of golf courses around where I live and part of what I like is that there is such variety from council owned owns which are free to play all the way up those which cost about a hundred thousand pounds just to join, courses such as Loch Lomond and Muirefeild spring to mind.

Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2008, 10:30 pm
Second Year

I think if I lived near Loch Lomond I'd save up for ten years to play a round on it! Though I hear the midgies are terrible!

Is anybody watching the Bridgestone Invitational at the minuite?

Old August 3rd, 2008, 11:13 pm
Seventh Year

I'm not sure about Loch Lomond but a lot of the best aren't really too expensive, The Old Course at St Andrews for example (where the game was invented) costs £120. According to this site the average for a British Open course is £149.

Here's they're price guide for a round of Scottish Golf

• British Open Courses £149.00
• Other World-Class Scottish Golf Courses £65.80
• "Hidden Gem" Golf Courses of Scotland £33.15
• Scottish "Home" Golf Courses £21.00

Old August 4th, 2008, 12:14 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by unconvinced View Post
I'm not sure about Loch Lomond but a lot of the best aren't really too expensive, The Old Course at St Andrews for example (where the game was invented) costs £120. According to this site the average for a British Open course is £149.

Here's they're price guide for a round of Scottish Golf

• British Open Courses £149.00
• Other World-Class Scottish Golf Courses £65.80
• "Hidden Gem" Golf Courses of Scotland £33.15
• Scottish "Home" Golf Courses £21.00
Those actually sound like pretty good value for some top end courses. Its a dream of mine to play the ld Course at St Andrews. Someday, I'm sure I will, but I'll just have to find the time...

Old August 5th, 2008, 3:00 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
Those actually sound like pretty good value for some top end courses. Its a dream of mine to play the ld Course at St Andrews. Someday, I'm sure I will, but I'll just have to find the time...
Yeah I've never played there but the Old Coarse is definitely some thing I must do before I die. Apparently standing about looking out from the first tee about to drive off is one of the best moments in golf.

Old August 5th, 2008, 11:12 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by unconvinced View Post
Yeah I've never played there but the Old Coarse is definitely some thing I must do before I die. Apparently standing about looking out from the first tee about to drive off is one of the best moments in golf.
And to walk across that bridge on 18! Epic!

Old February 20th, 2009, 5:52 pm
Curse Breaker

Look at that. Eight Months and no bites. I forgot to congratulate Woods on his U.S. Open victory in June. He'll be returning next week for the Accenture Match Play. It should be quite interesting, and I hope that he has the stamina to be on his game.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old February 21st, 2009, 7:32 pm
Banned

I'm not a huge golf watcher, but it's definitely more appealing when Tiger's playing! I'm very excited that he'll be back next week. Last year's US Open will be a tough act to follow up, though. That was just amazing.

Old February 26th, 2009, 1:48 am
Curse Breaker

Well, it was the first round of the Accenture Match Play today. Garcia lost, Harrington lost, and Mickelson got pushed to extra holes basically because he overclubbed himself trying to go for it on that driveable par 4. That gave Cabrera the opening and then the Duck put together a string of birdies to fight all the way back.

Tiger showed some rust and with the slow greens, his putting was off, but that poor guy Jones was just supermely nervous (not that I blame him, I'd have been positively petrified). He got it together on the latter stages of the back nine, but that was a long, painful experience (though he did keep his humor intact).

Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:11 pm
Second Year

I've been really impressed with Rory McIlroy of late. He'll be one of three (I think) teenagers playing in The Masters this year.
I still think Tiger will be claiming this green jacket... can't really see past him. Though I'd love to see Garcia winning a major soon.

Old March 26th, 2009, 5:39 pm
Second Year

I am so happy that Tiger is back. I didn't watch near as much when he was out. Did watch the majors though.

I still suck at golf. I've been out a couple times in the last few weeks. Played 18 at the University of New Mexico Championship Course, and shot in the 110-120 range. I shot a 61 and 57 on two nine holers on a course near where I live. I have a lot of work to do. At least my short game is coming along.

Old March 30th, 2009, 3:17 am
Curse Breaker

Tiger officially announced his return today, winning at Bay Hill with a clutch birdie on 18. Maybe he'll be ready for Augusta, eh?

Old March 31st, 2009, 1:24 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMasterSnape View Post
At least my short game is coming along.
I envy you. I'm playing Royal County Down tomorrow, and I fully expect to get mauled by it; game is in bad shape :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
Maybe he'll be ready for Augusta, eh?
Haha, yeah I doubt if El Tigre would even play if he wasn't ready.

Old April 5th, 2009, 4:12 am
Curse Breaker

What is up with Phil Mickelson? He seems to rotate between extremes. It's as if he either shoots 78 or 64 lately with very little in between. Did his experience of the wind in Houston just befuddle him for that second round, or is there something he and Butch Harmon have to seriously work on if he wants to be around to contend for the Masters.

Also, I hope that Fred Couples can put a solid round and half together and walk away with this Shell title.

Old April 27th, 2009, 3:26 am
Third Year

I'm really sad Annika Sorenstam is retiring. (I don't know if thats how to spell it)

I wish i could be in the DA.
Proud supporter of Dobby, Enemy of Bellatrix

~92% of teens moved on to rap music. If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your sig.~
Old May 3rd, 2009, 8:41 pm
Curse Breaker

I didn't comment on one of the best Masters in awhile and Tiger firing away a chance to come all the way back. Congratulations to El Pato.

Quail Hollow--Zach Johnson looked to have things well in hand after the first hole and then all sorts of strange things happened. He was all the way back to 7 under before a bounce-back birdie at number 4. Tiger's at level par and just one shot back and there are almost 20 guys with a realistic shot at this. I hope Tiger wins and puts together a truly magical round, but I honestly have no idea where this is going.

Old June 18th, 2009, 5:44 pm
Second Year

Well, the US Open is in a rain delay. Who are you all looking to win this?

Of course I have to say Tiger. I would like to see Lefty, which would be a cool story. I would love to see someone like Kenny Perry or even Rocco step up again.

BTW, I played 18 the other day, and shot a 93, my first round under 100.

Old June 18th, 2009, 8:11 pm
Curse Breaker

Seeing Rocco step up would be cool, but I'd like to see another dominant Tiger performance. Of course now that they're cramming the first round and bits of the second round into Friday, if he makes a run we most likely won't see it.

Old June 19th, 2009, 11:47 pm
Second Year

Unless something historic happens, Tiger is most likely out of it. I wouldn't put it past him to come back though. I think the largest US Open deficit for a winner is 9 strokes after the first round, and Tiger was 10 back after 1.

Old June 20th, 2009, 6:29 am
Curse Breaker

He should be no more than six back after two if he gets any kind of break on the conditions--and I don't think the lead will stay at 6 under by the time the cut is officially announced.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports