Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

Cricket

Old November 13th, 2008, 7:51 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Re: Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
I think it was cricket historian Gideon Haigh (or maybe not) who said that cricket is one of the few games where people don't mind their team losing so much if it is a good match.

It's a funny old game.
It is and he's right. I dont mind my team losing, if it's a good match

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Sponsored Links
Old November 13th, 2008, 1:05 pm
Registered Animagus

I'd agree with that as long as it's not my Sturt team I play in. If I'm physically playing I WANT to win

Old November 13th, 2008, 1:25 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
I'd agree with that as long as it's not my Sturt team I play in. If I'm physically playing I WANT to win
Thats understandable

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"

Rita Skeeter was here
Old November 28th, 2008, 6:09 am
Second Year

Well, due to the ongoing Battle Royale in Mumbai, the rest of the Hero Honda Cup between India and England has been cancelled.... but it does help that we've won all the five matches and the series with it....

Old November 28th, 2008, 7:56 am
Registered Animagus

At the end of the first day in Adelaide New Zealand are 6 for 260-something according to a spectator I overheard on the tram Hurry up and get out! *hides from lilyrose*

Old November 28th, 2008, 8:25 am
Conquering Reading Lists

You cannot hide.....

* My NZ radar is always on...*

NZ will fight..atleast I hope they do

Arh...I hope they put up a much better show this time around. I'm actually hoping to watch some good matches to take my mind off things.

Rita Skeeter was here
Old November 28th, 2008, 10:21 am
Second Year

yeah me too... the first one was pretty interesting though.... This is the second test right?

Old November 28th, 2008, 1:44 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Yes. The Second Test, in Adelaide, after Australia won the first in Brisbane.

Rita Skeeter was here
Old November 30th, 2008, 12:38 am
Registered Animagus

Symonds just got out for an iffy caught behind so Australia are about 5/240

Weather has been great in Adelaide for this test. Much better than Brissy

Old February 1st, 2009, 4:20 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

*Revives thread, yet again*

Things are going great for India, as the team won the first two matches against Sri Lanka. The guys are in great form. Dhoni's been playing great, as has Ishant Sharma

Not so good news for Australia. They lost to NZ in a close low scoring game. Yay NZ! Also, S.A. now has the number one ranking

I do hope the Aussies get back to form. It's been some time, now.

Rita Skeeter was here
Old February 1st, 2009, 4:53 pm
Registered Animagus

I'm glad I'm not an Aussie supporter at the moment (though I am an Aussie). I don't care what people say about Shaun Tait, he's gotta go. Nobody can bowl that many wides and still be allowed to play first class cricket.

Old February 1st, 2009, 5:52 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

It's an interesting situation (and the true test of a captain) when a team loses its stars.
Ponting is not dealing well with the loss of his easy go-to men. How easy it must have been to know you had a McGrath, MacGill, Warne etc at the top of their form.

It only increases my respect for Alan Border.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:01 am
Registered Animagus

Yes that's very much the problem at the moment. Almost all senior players are no longer in the team and those still playing arn't performing well (Hussey, Ponting). Also Andrew Symonds keeps getting himself in trouble which isn't helping.

Old February 2nd, 2009, 4:56 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Yes that's very much the problem at the moment. Almost all senior players are no longer in the team and those still playing arn't performing well (Hussey, Ponting). Also Andrew Symonds keeps getting himself in trouble which isn't helping.
I know! That is a problem.

India had the same problem a couple of years ago, when we were left with only old players like Ganguly, Laxman, Dravid who didn't really perform consistently. It took quite some time for us to get Dhoni, Ishant, an in-form Yuvraj. Australia is in a similar situation. Things are going to be tough for some time.

I remember when India kept losing every single series they played. They won by such a close margin against Bangladesh once. That shocked everyone! But yeah, we bounced back and built a great team.

Australia is also in the re-building stage, I guess. David Warner, I read, is considered by many as the rising star of Australian cricket. I've never seen him play. How good is he?

Rita Skeeter was here
Old February 2nd, 2009, 8:23 am
Registered Animagus

I've actually never heard of David Warner to be honest but I don't really follow the Australian team. The only reason I pick on Shaun Tait is because he plays club for Sturt which is also where I play. He plays for my club, my state and my country (though technically I'm a one-eyed Indian supporter Go figure) so it is important to me that he performs well. In every game I've ever watched him play he has bowled far too many extras and IMO is unacceptable.
Australia do have some good you guys in. Michael Johnson, Michael Clarke (though he's been there for a while now), Nathan Bracken just to name a few. There is hope but I think (like India) it will take a while to bounce back.
I hope that losing to NZ will open their eyes. I don't mean to sound insensitive towards NZ supporters (especially lilyrose ) but NZ has always been a team Aust assume they can beat. A bit like England in recent years. I really hope the selectors were watching closely at last night's game.

Old February 2nd, 2009, 8:39 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Australia do have some good you guys in. Michael Johnson, Michael Clarke (though he's been there for a while now), Nathan Bracken just to name a few. There is hope but I think (like India) it will take a while to bounce back.
I agree. Tait does bowl a lot of extras, even more than Lee in his out-of-form days. I do love Tait's yorkers and bouncers though

Yes, I for one am rooting for Michael Clarke to help get things right for Australia, since Ponting isn't going to be around for a long time. Clarke is very talented and I'm sure he'll do well. Johnson, Bracken, Watson, Marsh-they are all guys who can do really well

But I think Australia is in need of more batsmen. With Gilchrist, Hayden gone, that is a huge dent for any side. Shane Watson is quite a good allrounder, but now I think the Aussies need a good opener.

Quote:
I hope that losing to NZ will open their eyes. I don't mean to sound insensitive towards NZ supporters (especially lilyrose ) but NZ has always been a team Aust assume they can beat. A bit like England in recent years. I really hope the selectors were watching closely at last night's game.
I know Yes, it was shocking that Australia lost to NZ, though I'm not complaining. Taylor played well, though.

Rita Skeeter was here
Old February 2nd, 2009, 1:10 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
I've actually never heard of David Warner to be honest but I don't really follow the Australian team.
Warner apparently set the world on fire with a good innings in hit and run but has since only had one decent dig.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old February 6th, 2009, 3:13 pm
Second Year

India replaces Australia as the 2nd best ODI team in the world!

Also KP and Flintoff have each been purchased for $1.55M USD by their respective francises becoming the costliest players in the IPL.

Old February 6th, 2009, 3:21 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Yep - Pietersen went to Bangalore. And my, Bangalore needs all the great form he is in, considering their performance or the lack of it last time around.

Flintoff went to Chennai( Oh yeah!) and Duminy to Mumbai. Shaun Tait was picked for the Rajasthan Royals which won the inaugural edition of the IPL in grand style The next round of bidding is sometime in March.

Rita Skeeter was here
Old February 9th, 2009, 3:17 am
Registered Animagus

I hope my beloved Kolkata Knight Riders get some big names.

Quote:
India replaces Australia as the 2nd best ODI team in the world!
How exciting! Australia really are going down hill... they beat NZ last night but it was by no means a 'big' win. Ponting didn't perform well again. One wonders how long it's going to be before he'll return to form. He is the captain after all. He needs to lead by example and at the moment Clarke is doing a far better job.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports