Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

Cricket

Old March 3rd, 2009, 10:12 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Re: Cricket

This is terrible and more than shocking! It just goes to show the state of security in Pakistan, and I'm sure that its status of hosting cricket matches, will definitely come under a lot of scrutiny. Several teams including India, had refused to play in Pakistan, but then the Sri Lankan team agreed to play and this horrible attack has happened. This site has more news and info.

I do hope that none of the players/coaches' conditions are too serious or life-threatening and I also hope that the ICC takes very serious view of this incident and looks into the security placements in Pakistan.

This attack is sure to have a huge impact on the 2011 World Cup which is supposed to partly be held in Pakistan.

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here

Last edited by lilyrose; March 3rd, 2009 at 1:51 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2009, 3:57 pm
Second Year

In the midst of such a terrible event, India won the first ODI against New Zealand. The match was interrupted twice by rain, but India managed to win by a margin of more than a hundred runs. Here is the scorecard. As a show of support and solidarity, cricketers of both countries were seen sporting black bands.

Old March 11th, 2009, 11:02 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Virender Sehwag scored the fastest century ever by an Indian in ODIs to help India win the Series against New Zealand.

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"

Rita Skeeter was here
Old March 11th, 2009, 11:18 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Virender Sehwag scored the fastest century ever by an Indian in ODIs to help India win the Series against New Zealand.
top news! 102 off 32 is astounding.

Old March 11th, 2009, 11:25 am
Conquering Reading Lists

108* off 60 balls, I'm afraid. The fastest of course, was an awesome 37 ball 102 by Shahid Afridi

Rita Skeeter was here
Old March 11th, 2009, 11:51 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
108* off 60 balls, I'm afraid. The fastest of course, was an awesome 37 ball 102 by Shahid Afridi
Ah that's the score I was looking at. Still an impressive effort though.

Old March 18th, 2009, 5:42 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

The good old tests are on: India vs NZ after India won the ODI series and NZ won the T20 Series.

The first day of the first test didn't start off too well for NZ as they were reduced to 60/6 at one stage. Ishant Sharma did a great job picking 4 wickets But resilient as usual, Daniel Vettori and Jesse Ryder fought from an improbable position to quite a respectable 279 all out. Both batsman scored well-deserved centuries

In reply, India were 29 without loss at close, with Virender Sehwag and Gautam Gambhir unbeaten on 22 and 6.

Rita Skeeter was here

Last edited by lilyrose; March 18th, 2009 at 5:45 pm.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 12:36 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Looks like the IPL is going on the road.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/23/wo...html?ref=world

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old March 23rd, 2009, 12:43 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

People here are extremely disappointed that the Indian Premier League is ..well, not being played in India. Sachin Tendulkar also says he's disappointed since this shifting means he doesn't get an opportunity to play in front of his home crowd. But come to it, the general elections are the obvious priority. We'd rather have a secure election than the IPL.

Rita Skeeter was here

Last edited by lilyrose; March 23rd, 2009 at 12:52 pm.
Old April 11th, 2009, 3:19 pm
Third Year

Opinion time:

Who would you like to see as England's World Twenty20 team-captain?

Old April 12th, 2009, 5:30 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Arrow View Post
Opinion time:

Who would you like to see as England's World Twenty20 team-captain?
Hmm, I don't really know. I for one don't really attach too much of importance on being captain. But I'd still go with Strauss. Despite not being exactly lucky so far, I think he's a very responsible player who can handle pressure

Rita Skeeter was here
Old June 4th, 2009, 10:55 am
Third Year

Anyone catch yesterday India vs Pakistan game yesterday?
*does happy dance*
Minus the sloopy Indian fielding, they played in the batting - especially considering that Sehwag wasn't playing. Rohit Sharma did a great job, as did Sourav Ganguly.

I was happy with the England vs WI match - I couldn't watch it as it was on at the same time as the ^ match!

DO NOT DISTURB: SPIDERMAN DANCE IN PROGRESS!
Old June 4th, 2009, 12:40 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Arrow View Post
Anyone catch yesterday India vs Pakistan game yesterday?
*does happy dance*
I didn't I was working at that time, but got minute-by-minute updates from my I-can't-believe-you're-not-watching-India vs. Pak!!!!!!!-friend

I'm happy the boys did well. The WC starts tomorrow. Hopefully, it's good fun and very competitive

Rita Skeeter was here
Old June 4th, 2009, 2:36 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
I didn't I was working at that time, but got minute-by-minute updates from my I-can't-believe-you're-not-watching-India vs. Pak!!!!!!!-friend
I need to find me one of those for the future when I start working too. Hmm, wonder if the nearest Tesco sells them?
Check out the highlights on youtube!

I switched on the radio during lunch-time, and there were playing highlights and fan-comments and some of the Indian-fans were still high for the win! I really wanted to go watch it live!

I'm also looking forward to the England vs Pakistan match!

*does cricket-super-happy-dance*

Old June 4th, 2009, 3:22 pm
Registered Animagus

I'm really hoping we get good coverage of the T20 world cup. My tip is for India to win (again ). The groupings are somewhat outrageous.

Group A: India, Ireland, Bangladesh
Group B: Pakistan, Netherlands, England
Group C: Australia, Sri Lanka, West Indies
Group D: New Zealand, South Africa, Scotland

Hmmmm spot the group with the obvious bias? I bolded the teams I think will be in the Super 8. Group C got an especially raw deal And Group A? Wow nice easy ride for India. I'm hoping the final will be India and Australia. Mostly because we (India) will win but also I think it'd be an excellent game

It'd also be nice to see a few surprises. The only differences I can see in the Super 8 from what I've picked would be in Group C. If any of the others didn't get through it'd be a huge upset. here's hoping for Scotland

Old June 4th, 2009, 8:09 pm
Third Year

Quote:
I'm hoping the final will be India and Australia.
That would be a good match too, but on a personal level, I would mind seeing West Indies vs India. (It's probably be against the Aussies though!)

Quote:
Wow nice easy ride for India.
Touch wood! India have this silly tendency of playing really awesomely against a tough team, but other times they tend to get over-confident and much-up!

Old June 4th, 2009, 9:43 pm
Registered Animagus

^ It would take something truly catastrophic for India not to make the Super 8 I think ideally in the final I wouldn't want to see Australia (they bore me) but rather West Indies or Sri Lanka. Not sure why I said India/Australia As long as India are in, I'm not bothered

Also just looked up the broadcasting for the T20WC in Australia. It's only on payTV with the odd game on free to air not happy!

Old June 5th, 2009, 5:36 am
Conquering Reading Lists

I'm hoping for an India vs NZ final

But you know what, the most frequent feature in T20s I notice, is that they are so unpredictable. Sure, some teams who're in great form will do well, but sometimes, it's better to get ready for upsets

Anyway, I agree with your pick for the Super8 SoFie Unless of course Ireland or any of the other 'minnows' pull off a huge upset like they did in the 2007 World Cup.

Rita Skeeter was here
Old June 5th, 2009, 8:26 am
Registered Animagus

^ Maybe Scotland knocking out New Zealand?

That's true, it is rather unpredictable but going by the form the teams are in I doubt we'll have many surprises. Andrew Symonds wont be playing for Australia by the looks of it.

Old June 5th, 2009, 8:33 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
^ Maybe Scotland knocking out New Zealand?
*Goes to profile*

Quote:
Andrew Symonds wont be playing for Australia by the looks of it.
I saw that! Too bad..he's a good player and I'm sure would have been awesome in this version of the game. But it's also good to see the Australian board take action, without being partial to anyone

Rita Skeeter was here
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports