Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

Cricket

Old June 5th, 2009, 10:28 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Re: Cricket

As far as partiality goes, Symonds has had at least six second chances. In most professional codes he would have been sacked years ago.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2009, 11:05 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
Also just looked up the broadcasting for the T20WC in Australia. It's only on payTV with the odd game on free to air not happy!
That sucks!
They might play the matches at the local pub, but it's nothing compared to the homey comforts!

E: England and Holland this afternoon!

DO NOT DISTURB: SPIDERMAN DANCE IN PROGRESS!

Last edited by Green_Arrow; June 5th, 2009 at 11:10 am.
Old June 5th, 2009, 11:33 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
As far as partiality goes, Symonds has had at least six second chances. In most professional codes he would have been sacked years ago.
I agree. But I guess the Australian Cricket Board finds itself in a tricky position in the sense that if Symonds is in the wrong, he needs to be punished but also, he's a remarkable player who adds so much to a team which isn't at its peak these days.

Holland vs England should be an easy one for England. Let's see by what margin they win

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old June 5th, 2009, 2:36 pm
Registered Animagus

I'm not a fan of Symonds by any st stretch of the imagination so it's no skin off my back. Frankly, it's about time.

I'd really like to see Denmark give England a run for their money.

Old June 5th, 2009, 6:53 pm

There's a really good piece on Symonds (and others) in Line and Length.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

Old June 6th, 2009, 12:10 am
Third Year

Great match today - the final ball of the Holland innings was great!

My dad and I usually pick a team to support (unless if India's playing) and he choose England and I was left with Holland. I really didn't expect this even through I sort of secretly wanted to have England win (must be that sentimental fluff in the water *spit*) it was a really entertaining match!

Glad the rain didn't come down too hard either.

Poor Stuart Broad though!

On a serious note: Bangladesh are going down tomorrow!!

DO NOT DISTURB: SPIDERMAN DANCE IN PROGRESS!
Old June 6th, 2009, 5:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Arrow View Post
Poor Stuart Broad though!
One reason why you should never try a run-out on the last ball.

Old June 6th, 2009, 7:10 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
One reason why you should never try a run-out on the last ball.
I agree. The chance of getting it right is well, fairly minimal. Unless you're Jonty Rhodes of course

And thanks for the article Wab.

Holland defeating England was just the 'minnows' upsetting formidable teams scenario I was talking about earlier. I didn't expect an upset in the very first match though

New Zealand play Scotland, Australia play the West Indies, while India takes on Bangladesh today.

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"

Rita Skeeter was here
Old June 6th, 2009, 8:29 am

Upsets happen (which is the beauty of sports) as in when Bangladesh beat Australia in a pre-Ashes ODI in 2005.

Old June 6th, 2009, 8:31 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Upsets happen (which is the beauty of sports) as in when Bangladesh beat Australia in a pre-Ashes ODI in 2005.
Or like when Ireland beat Pakistan in the 2007 World Cup. Upsets are good for the sport Stops teams from getting too complacent and makes way for some excitement.

Rita Skeeter was here
Old June 6th, 2009, 2:19 pm
Registered Animagus

I am so excited Netherlands beat England. England are probably my least favourite team, but really... Netherlands!? That's a bit embarrassing. Still, taking nothing from Netherlands, they obviously deserve it.

Australia 1-1 in the first over vs West Indies. The broadcast here is shocking

Edit: Australia now 2-3. All 3 runs are from wides. Watson and Ponting both out for ducks.

Last edited by Hysteria; June 6th, 2009 at 3:14 pm.
Old June 6th, 2009, 2:24 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Edit: Australia now 2-3. All 3 runs are from wides. Watson and Ponting both out for ducks.

I mean, that's just the worst start Australia could have ever got!

Rita Skeeter was here
Old June 6th, 2009, 3:15 pm
Registered Animagus

Yep it's pretty bad. Theyr'e now 4-85 after 12.2 overs They really need something special to get anything respectable now.

Old June 7th, 2009, 6:58 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Yesterday's results:

Aus lost to WI- Disappointing and to be honest, this is a pathetic situation that the Aussies find themselves in.

India won well against Bangladesh- A confident, clear start for India

NZ won by a clear margin against Scotland- Again a confident and good start for us

Rita Skeeter was here
Old June 7th, 2009, 8:11 am
Registered Animagus

The national womens teams are playing at the T20WC as well (not that you'd know )

It is disappointing Australia lost, but at least they lost to a good, reputable team who are certainly world class...

Some of my favourite photos from the first 4 games (all from cricinfo.com):

Chris Gayle- 50 off 23:    

Michael Clarke:    

Kyle Coetzer:    

Captains:    

Captains for the women's international teams. Pakistan, New Zealand, Australia, West Indies, England, India, South Africa, Sri Lanka

Old June 7th, 2009, 8:19 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Awesome I hope the womens teams get better coverage now that they're in a more visible world arena.

Rita Skeeter was here
Old June 7th, 2009, 8:26 am
Registered Animagus

Well the Womens' teams play at most major events like this (they also play at The Ashes and when India last toured Australia for example) but it doesn't seem to help their cause much

On a side-note looks like Symonds will be playing for Queensland this week. Just between you and me I think they were glad he got sent home

Old June 7th, 2009, 8:28 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Well the Womens' teams play at most major events like this (they also play at The Ashes and when India last toured Australia for example) but it doesn't seem to help their cause much
I know..that's a pity. There were some celebrities talking about womens' cricket in India too. They encouraged the team and asked people to watch the women play, but sadly there were no takers

Quote:
On a side-note looks like Symonds will be playing for Queensland this week. Just between you and me I think they were glad he got sent home

Rita Skeeter was here
Old June 7th, 2009, 5:43 pm
First Year

Anyone following the T20 Cricket World Cup?

edit: England just won, nice one lads

Last edited by elemenopee; June 7th, 2009 at 8:54 pm.
Old June 8th, 2009, 3:11 am

Quote:
Also just looked up the broadcasting for the T20WC in Australia. It's only on payTV with the odd game on free to air not happy!
That's because T20 (when Australia isn't playing) doesn't rate on TV. That's why Ten moved the IPL to ONE.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports