Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

Formula 1

Old March 27th, 2009, 3:36 pm
Splendide Mendax

Formula 1 - 2009 Season

Isn't it time to revive this thread, girls

"The three teams who were protested on Thursday had the last laugh in Friday’s second practice session at Albert Park, as only Mark Webber in his Red Bull was able to get among the Williams, Toyota and Brawn cars with their trick diffusers."

Complete article here: http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/3/9066.html

Soo... any favourites at this stage?

Old March 29th, 2009, 2:58 am
Qvack...

Re: Formula 1 - 2008 & 2009 Season

Pretty mean to have Hamilston slip so much because of a gearbox issue. Or at least, that's what I heard it was. I'm glad that Jenson Button got pole though, it's nice to see him succeed when he's been quite consistent for several years. If he wins the race itself... well, that will be surprising, but I expect him to do relatively well.

I'm a Raikkonen girl so that's where my favourite lies- although Massa also did very well last season and could be very strong in this season too.

THE DUCK.

Old March 29th, 2009, 3:01 am
Mouse

Dude, so impressed with Brawn. What a coup for Ross. I think the new regs must have evened the playing field a bit. Should make for an interesting season.

Last year I wanted Hamilton to get it but I don't know who I want to win yet this year. Kubica would be awesome or Sebastian I Forget His Last Name - The Red Bull one.

Old March 29th, 2009, 4:54 am
Splendide Mendax

Yeah, but there's this diffuser thing that hasn't been sorted out yet...

Sebastian Vettel?

Actually, I'd love for Rubens to bag a few wins this year (though Kubica claiming the title wouldn't be bad, either). I've kept an eye on him since he started competing in 1993, and he's always been a silent favorite of mine.

Old March 29th, 2009, 4:37 pm
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Dude, so impressed with Brawn. What a coup for Ross. I think the new regs must have evened the playing field a bit. Should make for an interesting season.
Couldn't agree more. Seems that Brawn are really gonna make the most of this season. They clearly have the capacity to do it and I imagine they're interested enough to keep it going. Really strong opening for them, without a shadow of a doubt. It would be nice to see that continue- especially given the Ferrari dominance the past few years. It would be nice to see someone else take the Constructor's crown.

This weekend's race looks like it was a doozy. There's a report Here on the F1 site. I didn't see it myself... my father cancelled my Setanta subscription so I can't watch the races anymore.

Disappointed that neither Ferrari finished- bit of a change for sure. Button had a great day for sure though.

Quote:
Last year I wanted Hamilton to get it but I don't know who I want to win yet this year. Kubica would be awesome or Sebastian I Forget His Last Name - The Red Bull one.
Daggerstone's right-Sebastien Vettel is with Red Bull so you mean him. I do like him actually.

Massa was a screamer of a driver last year. He did so well the whole way through and really won over a lot of people. He was consistent, competitive and the dark horse for a lot of the tournament. The thing is that over the last few seasons, there were still few enough drivers pitting for the top spots- Alonso seems to have virtually disappeared, it would be good to see him make something of a return. Hamilton will likely still be fairly high on the stakes throughout the championship, and I assume Raikkonen and Massa will both pull their weight too. Barrichello would be a nice change of pace, he's always been pretty good.

ETA: Check this out. Seems that Brawn are cutting costs already: ESPN- Brawn to cut 270 staffers

THE DUCK.

Last edited by vampiricduck; March 29th, 2009 at 4:48 pm.
Old March 30th, 2009, 5:25 am
Splendide Mendax

Well, this was one highly satisfying season opener... *sighs dreamily*

As for Vettel and Kubica, though... Serves him right, that post-race penalisation.

BTW, what do you think of the new win-a-few-win-the-cup rules?

And what's this all about: http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/3/9070.html

Old March 31st, 2009, 12:41 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggerstone View Post
BTW, what do you think of the new win-a-few-win-the-cup rules?
They done away with that a few days before the race, didn't they?
I was looking forward to it, too. I thought it would have encouraged more overtaking and batteling for first position, rather than settling for a few points in second or third; much more exciting.

That Brawn car must really be very good indeed. No harm to Jenson Button, but he is decidedly average, and has a track record of being just that. Don't get me wrong, he's a reat driver by normal standards (as are all the guys who can make it in F1), but I wouldn't rate him in the top 10, or 15 even...

Old March 31st, 2009, 1:53 am
Qvack...

I think the new rules were never going to work. They're thinking of revising the points system in time for 2010, but a "win most, win all" system is unlikely to work. It means more likelihood of recklessness rather than shown skill, and sometimes vying for the smaller positions like fourth or fifth turn into the most exciting moment. It tosses all the drivers below third into a black hole straight off, which could get boring and would only lead us back to the days when Schumi won everything and people disliked the sameness of the sport. Much though I like Schumi, it did get a bit boring for a year or two.

As for that link about Universal- bit weird. What exactly are they going to do with that kind of deal? Hopefully they'll make the sport more available without turning it into the advertising/entertainment war that is NASCAR.

THE DUCK.

Old June 7th, 2009, 5:51 pm
First Year

Hey, i don't know much about F1 so maybe you guys can answer this....I was never a Lewis Hamilton fan, in fact I always thought he was a good driver but maybe over rated because he was in a clearly superior car. I never thought he would fall flat on his face like what is happening this year. Clearly he is a better driver then this, I know the car is bad but he clearly making it worse. What's going on?

Old June 12th, 2009, 12:37 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenopee View Post
Hey, i don't know much about F1 so maybe you guys can answer this....I was never a Lewis Hamilton fan, in fact I always thought he was a good driver but maybe over rated because he was in a clearly superior car. I never thought he would fall flat on his face like what is happening this year. Clearly he is a better driver then this, I know the car is bad but he clearly making it worse. What's going on?
It's just a terrible car, that's all.
I don't like hamilton, not by any definition of the word. But I do recognise that he is a very good driver, and I respect that.

Is it just me, or is anybody else getting sick of the BBC constantly showing Jenson Button's and Lewis Hamilton's fathers watching the race on screens around the pits during the races?

Old September 6th, 2009, 2:22 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Is it just me, or is anybody else getting sick of the BBC constantly showing Jenson Button's and Lewis Hamilton's fathers watching the race on screens around the pits during the races?
I'm getting sick of seeing Lewis Hamilton's girlfriend. It's bad enough she hogs all the spotlight in every Pussycat Doll video, but now she's doing it in the McLaren garage too.

As for Jenson Button, he is in trouble. He's slumped terribly over the last few races. He better hope he can improve or that his closest rivals miss the opportunity he has presented them with during the last few races.

Old October 18th, 2009, 7:00 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Jenson Button wins the F1 World Championship

Great performance today. Nice guy. Worthy champion.

BrawnGP also win the Constructors Championship (in their first ever season).

Old March 6th, 2010, 7:59 am
Lycanthrope

Blah...Iceman out is bad; Schumi in is worse. What is F1 coming to? Hopefully all of that reverses in 2011.

Old March 7th, 2010, 10:37 pm
Splendide Mendax

Re: Formula 1

At least Lotus is back, so I'll have something to watch unfold...

Old March 13th, 2010, 4:00 am
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
Blah...Iceman out is bad; Schumi in is worse. What is F1 coming to? Hopefully all of that reverses in 2011.
For some reason, I wouldn't bet on this. I just think the whole system has gone to nothing over the past two years. I used to be an avid fan, and I honestly thought that once Schumi left, the entire thing might open up and become more exciting and contested. Instead it sort of degenerated into bitterness and fighting, and a lack of adherence to rules that's laughable. There can be double standards in operation regarding rules, and generally speaking it feels to me as though all of the fun has left the sport ever since Hamilton won- not that I blame him or anything, that's just when I really changed my view on it.

And I don't think the new points system will work either, imo. I don't think that it's enough....

THE DUCK.

Old March 15th, 2010, 7:13 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiricduck View Post
For some reason, I wouldn't bet on this. I just think the whole system has gone to nothing over the past two years. I used to be an avid fan, and I honestly thought that once Schumi left, the entire thing might open up and become more exciting and contested. Instead it sort of degenerated into bitterness and fighting, and a lack of adherence to rules that's laughable. There can be double standards in operation regarding rules, and generally speaking it feels to me as though all of the fun has left the sport ever since Hamilton won- not that I blame him or anything, that's just when I really changed my view on it.

And I don't think the new points system will work either, imo. I don't think that it's enough....
Well yeah, for the drivers, I think the politics is ruining it for some of them. I think it went down hill when Alonso and team cheated for the win in Singapore. I lost faith in the entire younger generation learning from the mistakes of the older. Hammy going on to cheat and lie, just kicked things downstream a bit more. Both these drivers were very talented, but like Schumacher, it is uncertain what they have done or will do for their WDCs and WCCs. Pity. But that made drivers like the quick Raikkonen, Mika and Vettel or the steady but sure Nico and the surprise in a hot car Jensen more special.

I do not like the new point system either. Was one goal to ensure that whoever won the most races would win the WDC? Was another to ensure Ferrari never ended up in 4th again? Plus the conservation of fuel and preservation of tires made for the most boring race ever - hopefully the drivers adjust and start taking risks and overtaking or we are in for a long and very boring season.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO VETTEL!!!!!!

Last edited by wickedwickedboy; March 27th, 2010 at 2:31 pm.
Old March 29th, 2010, 6:52 pm
Lycanthrope

Wow...this is seriously looking like Kimi Raikkonen 2005. Which part will break next on Leader Sebastian Vettel's car? We can make bets at this rate...

Old June 3rd, 2010, 6:01 am
Lycanthrope

Well no one is interested in F1 anymore? lol. What a season - more happening off the tarmac than on it. But that is good since the ban on refueling has made for rather boring processional races. I'm still gunning for Vettel - but at the moment, NBA and NHL seem a bit more exciting at game time...

Old June 6th, 2010, 3:01 pm
First Year

I'm Interested!

But i'm new here.
And i prefer weber to vettel.
Not for any particular reason but i just prefer him.

But i'd still love to see McClaren wipe the floor with them.
But wait; Didn't they do that to themselves last time out?
I'd love to have been a fly on the wall after the last race.

Whats your verdict on the return of Schumi?

Old June 6th, 2010, 3:18 pm
Eldest Gruff

Welcome to CoS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird View Post
Whats your verdict on the return of Schumi?
I had rather prefered to see him stay out, but how it runs I like his 'comeback' more than some others we saw in sports. Make me think he really simply just wanted to do races again - that's fine imo.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports