Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

Baseball Thread

Old December 30th, 2006, 4:22 pm
Third Year

Re: Baseball Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyPotter View Post
I have no problem with players accepting big money deals that are offered to them. Whether the owners are showing poor judgement is another question.
No problem either,zito is my favorite player (i just love the huge curveball lol) and who here would refuse this offer?
Having a pitcher who has the potential to keep you in the game every time he starts is valuable,i remember the luxery of having 3 of those (hudson,mulder,zito) on the A's,the thing is,i'm not sure zito is that kind of player anymore,he's just too inconsistant,if he can control his curve he'll be dominant,if he can't,then he'll be throwing meatballs and hitters will blast him.

He got that kind of money because the free agent pool is so weak this year and the demand still high that many teams go over bidding wars over avereage players,so that an above avereage player will get an insanely large amount of money.

This also makes me happy because it does actually help the A's,our young pitchers (starters and releivers) gain a lot of value in the trade market because,even if they might not be great,they are at least very cheap,so if ever a trade should happen (and an offseason without a trade isn't an offseason for the A's lol) we should get more than if these players weren't getting paid so much.

Last edited by j_rod; December 30th, 2006 at 5:13 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2006, 9:50 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagicMongol View Post
But it's the simple fact that 125 million dollar contracts are being offered in the first place which is disturbing. Yeah it would be silly if a guy turned that down but still a lot of players are greedy. Why do the Yankees and Red Sox and Dodgers sign the most players every year? Because they will offer the most money and guys are greedy enough to take that 2 million dollar diference rather then play for a different team with more playing time, more security, better place for their families etc.
First of all, I can't imagine a team would offer a player more money with the expectation of giving him less playing time than he is getting now. Maybe the Yankees have offered an everyday player more money with the stipulation that he'll mostly be coming off the bench, but I've never heard of such an instance.

When Alex Rodriguez took $25 million to play in Texas, I don't know how much he was offered to stay in Seattle, but I don't think it was anywhere near as much. If that offer was made to me, I would have taken it, so I can't complain.

I think that superstar position players are not as important as we think they are. The difference between a .350 hitter and a .300 hitter comes out to about one additional base hit every 6 games. As it happens, the Seattle Mariners won 116 games the year after Alex Rodriguez left. It is better to have a lineup full of good but not necessarily great players than a couple of superstars surrounded by mediocre players.

Old December 31st, 2006, 5:37 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyPotter View Post
First of all, I can't imagine a team would offer a player more money with the expectation of giving him less playing time than he is getting now. Maybe the Yankees have offered an everyday player more money with the stipulation that he'll mostly be coming off the bench, but I've never heard of such an instance.

When Alex Rodriguez took $25 million to play in Texas, I don't know how much he was offered to stay in Seattle, but I don't think it was anywhere near as much. If that offer was made to me, I would have taken it, so I can't complain.

I think that superstar position players are not as important as we think they are. The difference between a .350 hitter and a .300 hitter comes out to about one additional base hit every 6 games. As it happens, the Seattle Mariners won 116 games the year after Alex Rodriguez left. It is better to have a lineup full of good but not necessarily great players than a couple of superstars surrounded by mediocre players.
I do think that batting average is a highly overrated stat but I still think that comparing players like Albert Pujols to say Darin Erstad is riddiculous. Besides it wasn't like the Mariners were without a superstar when A=Rod left. They had one of my favorite players, Ichiro, in right field.

Old December 31st, 2006, 9:35 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagicMongol View Post
Besides it wasn't like the Mariners were without a superstar when A=Rod left. They had one of my favorite players, Ichiro, in right field.
Though the 2001 season is the season that made him a superstar,coming into that season,he wasn't really known.
Edgar Martinez was the face of the franchise,after Griffey,Randy Johnson and A-rod were all gone.

And batting averages are overrated,i love the fact that the A's didn't have a single .300 hitter in the lineup last season.

Last edited by j_rod; December 31st, 2006 at 9:37 am.
Old December 31st, 2006, 5:38 pm
Fifth Year

I also think that although it is what the fans like to see, home runs too are overrated. In my opinion Albert Pujols had a better season then Ryan Howard last year although the main reason he lost was because of home runs. Howards team didnt make the playoffs and Pujols was injured for a period of time.

Old January 17th, 2007, 5:46 am
First Year

first off can i ask any thing about baseball here? do you know thing about Earle Bryan Combs ? if so what ?

Old January 17th, 2007, 6:11 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by portage View Post
first off can i ask any thing about baseball here? do you know thing about Earle Bryan Combs ? if so what ?
All I know about him is that he played centerfield for the Yankees during the 20's and 30's with Babe Ruth and Lou Gerhig and that he is in the hall of fame.

Old March 1st, 2007, 8:37 am
Third Year

Hey folks,it's spring training!

I'm happy to see Piazza in an A's uniform:http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/appho...963&sportId=10

Feel free to show pictures of your team's offseason additions.

Old March 1st, 2007, 6:33 pm
Second Year

This is the doldrums period for sports until April 1st. I'm a die hard Chicago White Sox fan exhiled to Florida. Unfortunately I don't get to watch many games let alone go to games like I used to, until they play the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Last year they were in town on my birthday and won and I caught a foul ball. So, for anyone living in a different state from your team, an XM radio is a must.

"You know, Minister, I disagree with Dumbledore on many counts
...but you cannot deny he's got style..."-Phineas Nigellus
Old March 2nd, 2007, 12:19 am
Fifth Year

As a Nationals fan the term exciting new addition isn't in my vocabulary. More like how bad is it gonna be this year?

Old March 2nd, 2007, 7:15 pm
Curse Breaker

Rather like being a Cubs fan, huh? I mean except for three seasons in the last 20 years, it's been lean pickings for my Cubbies and it promises to be again this year. WHY did they hire Pinella?

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 12:17 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
Rather like being a Cubs fan, huh? I mean except for three seasons in the last 20 years, it's been lean pickings for my Cubbies and it promises to be again this year. WHY did they hire Pinella?
I actually think there fortunes are looking up. I do think that they overspent in the offseason, but they still made some good pick-ups and I think that although Dusty Baker is a better manager, Piniella might be a good fit there. Hes very experienced with both the game and dealing with pressure and the media. With guys like Ramirez, Soriano, Lee, Zambrano and Prior (if hes healthy) they've got a solid group. Do I think they will win the WS? No. But I do think they have a shot at the playoffs.

Old March 3rd, 2007, 12:45 am
Curse Breaker

If healthy, Wood and Prior are great, and Zambrano has shown the capacity to be one of the dominant forces in the National League. But the key to that sentence is "if healthy." I don't think either of them will stay healthy (more's the pity). And I have to see them hit before I'm sold on the new lineup. Soriano's got good power, but as a leadoff hitter? And how much protection does the new lineup afford Lee? All these questions need to be answered.

Old March 3rd, 2007, 4:25 am
Fifth Year

Hmm well as a Nats fan I saw Soriano wreak havoc as a leadoff man. His power certainly didn't down, but his On Base pct. is probably a little lower then what you generally want in a lead-off guy, but he still has blistering speed. Wood and Prior definitely are key though. If both are healthy (which I doubt will happen) the Cubs will really be a force in the NL.

Old March 3rd, 2007, 3:51 pm
Curse Breaker

Yeah, that's been the knock on Soriano from the leadoff spot. He has great speed and lots of power, but not enough discipline to set the table for everyone else--and Lee needs lineup protection. And yeah, the only year Wood and Prior were healthy for most of the year, the Cubs made the playoffs and came one foul ball away from an appearance in the Series. However, as you said, it's not likely that they'll both stay healthy. I mean isn't Wood already hurt?

Old March 3rd, 2007, 7:47 pm
Fifth Year

There are certain players in every sport (Grant Hill, Carlos Boozer and Marcus Camby in the NBA; Kellen Winslow Jr. or Kurt Warner in the NFL) that are All-Star caliber guys year in and year out but they have such a high tendency for injury that they never are able to fully acheive their potential. I have the feeling Prior and Wood are two of thos kind of players.

Old March 3rd, 2007, 7:54 pm
Curse Breaker

That's probably true. But the problem is with pitchers the rehab is even more delayed than with someone in the field, or a DH, particularly with arm trouble.

Kellen Winslow Jr. hasn't been around long enough or been in enough games to even qualify for this category.

Three years ago, that description of Warner was very accurate, but the cumulative effect of his injuries since 200-01 has been to severely limit his effectiveness. However, those observations are for another thread.

Last edited by jordmundt6; April 3rd, 2007 at 3:37 pm.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 2:33 am
Second Year

ARRRRRRGH! The Red Sox lost today to the ROYALS...It's all Curt Schilling's fault. Go retire. We're tied with the Devil Rays for last place...good thing we've only played one game . We'll win tommorow with Beckett on the mound. Then it's Dice-K's turn..Can't wait for that one. He's awesome.

Join the ASA today!
Old April 3rd, 2007, 3:42 pm
Curse Breaker

Muggledude--give it a rest. It's thanks to Curt Schilling your Sox broke "The Curse" that ought to buy him one bad start, huh? Also, Schilling had nothing to do with the complete freeze that Meche put on that vaunted Sox offense. That was truly entertaining.

Maybe the Cubs'll have their yearly 16-run binge today since they skipped it yesterday.

A-Rod is going to have a very interesting year and the Rays would be a challenge if they ever figured out how to acquire more quality pitchers.

I hope the Royals do well this year--they're more than due for a break from the disasters they've been having.

It was entertaining to see the highlights of the White Sox getting blasted by the Indians--even if I couldn't see the broadcast.

The Braves started the year with a win but Smoltz got a no-decision. So, how close is Glavine to 300 wins, now--after that opening day win?

Old April 4th, 2007, 12:28 am
Fifth Year

O boy my Nats sure are lookin good. After getting pummeled yesterday with our one good pitcher, John Patterson, starting we're already down 4-0 in the 1st. Of course my expectations this year wern't very high but still.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports