Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

Criminal Minds

Old January 31st, 2010, 9:26 pm
Second Year

Re: Criminal Minds

Yeah, I guess lots of times teenagers believe that nothing will happen to them, even given evidence to the contrary. That doesn't make it smart.

Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2010, 5:15 am
Fifth Year

When are the new ones on? Wensday?
At 10:00pm?
I always forget about it.

Old February 3rd, 2010, 5:00 pm
Seventh Year

So, the new episode "Parasite" will air tonight. I don't know exactly when, I guess sometime 9/10 p.m. depending on your time-zone.

Avatar by Hunter_Graphics; Signature by Xuxu

Last edited by ronjalina; February 4th, 2010 at 10:27 am.
Old February 13th, 2010, 9:12 am
MODLY CREW

I liked Public Enemy, although I wonder why they put so much emphasis on JJ and her issues lately. Maybe it is an attempt to give the character more depth but it could also be that something is up.

Old February 13th, 2010, 6:18 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
I liked Public Enemy, although I wonder why they put so much emphasis on JJ and her issues lately. Maybe it is an attempt to give the character more depth but it could also be that something is up.
Who is that?

I have yet to learn the names lol.

Hodgens(is that right?) is the only one I know.

I was watching something else when it was on, thought it was on at 10:00, because I changed it there and the show looked like some other show Or I wasn't in the mood to wait for commercials to see. I could have forgetton about it being on also, been tired lately.

Old February 13th, 2010, 7:21 pm
MODLY CREW

JJ is the team's liaison with the media. She's the blonde who is married to the Louisiana cop from a previous season.

Old February 13th, 2010, 9:39 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherfish81 View Post
Yeah, I guess lots of times teenagers believe that nothing will happen to them, even given evidence to the contrary. That doesn't make it smart.
Yea and ain't that the truth. A lot of them think that they're invincible at that stage in life. And it certainly isn't the smart thing for them to be doing.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old February 14th, 2010, 10:43 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
I liked Public Enemy much better than last week's episode. I noticed the new focus on JJ too. Maybe they just want to make up for neglecting her for so long. I don't think however that a big storyline is up for her, if that's what you mean. They just had that with Hotch. I don't see them doing that with another character anytime soon. But who knows?

I liked that we saw a bit more Rossi.

Old February 14th, 2010, 10:51 am
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjalina View Post
I liked that we saw a bit more Rossi.
For me it's always a bit hit and miss with Rossi. Sometimes I can't stand his character (not the actor, love him), sometimes he works for me within the context of the episode. But then, I still miss Gideon.

Old February 14th, 2010, 5:27 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
For me it's always a bit hit and miss with Rossi. Sometimes I can't stand his character (not the actor, love him), sometimes he works for me within the context of the episode. But then, I still miss Gideon.
Ah, well. I like Rossi. Yes he is a bit arrogant, abrasive and annoying at times, but that's exactly what I find interesting. He is an edgy character, not your streamlined too-good to be true guy. Well, all of them have their edges in a way. That's why I have become so attached to the characters. I start out watching a show because of the concept and after a while it's all about the characters for me.

As for Gideon: He was an intriguing character and certainly fell into the edgy category. But sometimes he was hogging screentime and that annoyed me. And he was so much a loner. I feel Rossi fits into the team much better. The dynamics has improved, IMO. So, I didn't want Gideon gone, but when he was, I noticed I didn't miss him.

I would like to know more backstory for Rossi other than "has been married a couple of times and earns millions with his books on serial killers". Same for Prentiss. We don't know much about her other than that her mother is an embassador and she grew up on different countries. Come to think of it: didn't they say sometime that Prentiss speaks all these languages? Seven or so? They never really used that on the show.

Old February 14th, 2010, 5:39 pm
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Come to think of it: didn't they say sometime that Prentiss speaks all these languages? Seven or so? They never really used that on the show.
Her mother is a diplomat, so they moved a lot with Prentiss was a kid. And they used her linguistic skills right in the first episode with her, when she spoke Arabic with the terrorist in Guantanamo Bay.

Old March 5th, 2010, 3:18 am
Second Year

So what did everyone think about this week's episode, with Matthew Gray Gruber (Spencer) directing?

I thought it was interesting, and I liked the direction. But I wanted a little more motivation from the couple. Why were they kidnapping the kids? Why 8 years old? Did they just play house all day?

Old March 5th, 2010, 4:17 am
Second Year

I thought it was a good episode. Not their best, but their best is amazing. I think its the best show on tv. I thought Gubler would include himself more in the show, but I liked his line at the end, when he was speaking with the mom. It made him seem more human.

Proud Gryffindor
Old March 5th, 2010, 7:42 am
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherfish81 View Post
So what did everyone think about this week's episode, with Matthew Gray Gruber (Spencer) directing?

I thought it was interesting, and I liked the direction. But I wanted a little more motivation from the couple. Why were they kidnapping the kids? Why 8 years old? Did they just play house all day?
I agree, there was little information about the couple's motivation. And the team didn't really give their usual elaborate profile, either. But sometimes that is just the way it is, you'll never know what makes certain people crack.

It wasn't the best episode but it was a very good one. MGG was really good at bringing out the emotional impact of the issue. When Charlie told the parents that their son had died only one day before...wow, what a sucker punch! And I really approve of how the women of the team worked together. JJ's indignation at Morgan's suggestion that she was only feeling that way because she's a mother and then Prentiss' intervention - that was awesome.

Old March 5th, 2010, 5:08 pm
Seventh Year

I liked the episode better than the two previous ones, but I too was bugged that it wasn't really said why the couple did what they did. And what exactly was the nature of the dynamic between the two? The woman seemed to be the dominant one but what made the man tick to be subservient to her wishes? Overall the episode was good, interesting and emotional, but this tiny bit was missing, IMO.

Quote:
I agree, there was little information about the couple's motivation. And the team didn't really give their usual elaborate profile, either. But sometimes that is just the way it is, you'll never know what makes certain people crack.
True, there was no classic profile briefing where it is all laid out neatly infront of the local cops. But this time, the team wasn't called in by local authorities to help with a case. It was their case, they were the only ones in charge, so the profiling happened during their conversations, IMO. They profiled the whole time, so to speak.

Quote:
It wasn't the best episode but it was a very good one. MGG was really good at bringing out the emotional impact of the issue.
Yes, he did very good.

Quote:
When Charlie told the parents that their son had died only one day before...wow, what a sucker punch!
I almost wished Charlie hadn't told them. He didn't mean any harm. I guess he wanted to tell the parents that their son was a hero, dying to protect a little girl, but it was really hard to know that they just came one day late. After they had been unsure about their son's fate for years, they were so close to see him again and missed it.

Quote:
And I really approve of how the women of the team worked together. JJ's indignation at Morgan's suggestion that she was only feeling that way because she's a mother and then Prentiss' intervention - that was awesome.
That was my favorite scene. I do like seeing more of JJ, but it seems to be a bit "unbalanced" for want of a better word. After woefully neglecting her for years, she seems to be center stage in every episode lately.

Old March 13th, 2010, 4:23 am
Qvack...

Quote:
I almost wished Charlie hadn't told them. He didn't mean any harm. I guess he wanted to tell the parents that their son was a hero, dying to protect a little girl, but it was really hard to know that they just came one day late. After they had been unsure about their son's fate for years, they were so close to see him again and missed it.
I think there was some nice symbolism involved there; Charlie's mother had conssitently belieed he was alive, and he made it through. But it was all abo
ut the luck of the draw; the other boy did not. Those are the turns fate takes, and I think it pointed out that Charlie will always have to live with the fact that somehow, he made it through, but others were not so lucky.

It really struck a chord with me. I think CM is getting better and better consistently. Honestly, some of the most recent episodes have astounded me. It must be hard to retain originality, but the creators are doing a wonderful, wonderful job!!

THE DUCK.

Old March 13th, 2010, 9:28 am
MODLY CREW

I find the current season somewhat wanting. The episodes are still good, the team dynamics are great but somehow the edge is missing. I hope the second half of the season picks up a bit.

Old March 13th, 2010, 3:17 pm
Qvack...

Quote:
I find the current season somewhat wanting. The episodes are still good, the team dynamics are great but somehow the edge is missing. I hope the second half of the season picks up a bit.
You're definitely not alone in thinking that. There are a ton of people who feel that since Hotch was dislodged and then came back on board, things were a bit stilty. To be honest, my least favcourite episode this season was "100". So many people adored it, but overall I didn't like it at all. I think they could have made great things of it and they didn't. It was as though all mention of Foyet was left out for 8 episodes and then suddenly we were led to believe that every character was always workig the case, with no external mention of it at all. I found that too hard to accept really. And it did nothing for me in terms of the team dynamic.

The other thing I'm seeing more of is that Hotch, Rossi and Prentiss are spending more time together after a case, with the rest of the team left outside a little.

You're right that the edge is missing- but the storylines are getting cleverer and cleverer. The doll one crepped me out!

THE DUCK.

Old March 13th, 2010, 4:22 pm
MODLY CREW

The doll episode was really, very creepy. It had some rather obvious turning points but I really liked the idea behind it and that they subverted the common 'dolls come alive' horror motive.

Old March 13th, 2010, 5:16 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiricduck View Post
To be honest, my least favcourite episode this season was "100". So many people adored it, but overall I didn't like it at all. I think they could have made great things of it and they didn't.
I am different. I loved 100. But then again, I am a sap and I cried throughout the whole thing. And I am a Hotch-fan, so I am biased towards episodes and storylines that involve the character. I loved that they tried something new with the Foyet story-arc. The only problem I had was that it seemed a wee bit dragged out. I guess that was because they wanted the conclusion in the 100th episode, thus it spanned 9 episodes whereas half of it would have been better.

Quote:
It was as though all mention of Foyet was left out for 8 episodes and then suddenly we were led to believe that every character was always workig the case, with no external mention of it at all. I found that too hard to accept really. And it did nothing for me in terms of the team dynamic.
I don't think they meant to imply that the team worked the case all the time. They really hadn't much to go by in the first place. Just the combination of meds Foyet had to take due to his injuries and - as I understood it - they were searching for people with that exact combination nationwide using computer search engines. So it's not like the agents actually were working on it constantly. But Foyet was mentioned once in a while. Or at least it was referred to the case. Hotch looking through the Foyet-files. Rossi talking to Hotch about it. They just didn't harp on it constantly, which was good, IMO. They concentrated on the case of the week, but subtly and from time to time we got reminded of the Foyet issue.

How did you like the latest episode? I actually liked it even better than Mosley Lane. Maybe because it had more of the things I like about CM. It had a bit of humour with the scene between Rossi and Reid at the begining. There wasn't that much humour this season, so while the scene in itself might have been a bit lame, I still enjoyed it and it was played so well. And instead of one character having the focus, it was evened out. It was a team episode, which is always good in my book too. And I love the heart to heart Prentiss and Morgan had at the end.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television