Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

A Possible Voldemort Takeover of Hogwarts

Old June 4th, 2007, 6:49 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: A Possible Voldemort Takeover of Hogwarts

I found this in CoS that made me suspicious of a possible Voldy attack on Hogwarts. We got one clue in SS/PS and then this made me think of it again:

Quote:
(...) Even when you were strong, you didn't dare try and take over at Hogwarts. Dumbledore saw right through you when you were at school and he still frightens you now, wherever you're hiding these days--" (CoS, 314)
Here is another example of reminding us why Voldy didn't try and go after Hogwarts while DD was around. Now that he no longer is, really makes me wonder if Voldy will try something in DH. I don't think Voldy clearly understands that as long as people are loyal to DD then he never really does leave the school. I think this surpasses death, but also think Voldy won't think of this.

Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2007, 8:57 am
Second Year

Disclaimer: I didn't read this thread all the way through, so I apologize if I'm repeating something that's been said already, hehe.

I've been thinking about this ever since book 6 came out. I think it's a big reason why Hogwarts needs to re-open. So that you'll have trained wizards there to fight in case Voldemort does try something. And it seems kind of inevitable, as we know he knew so much about the school, etc. Also, it's been speculated that the school houses one or more Horcruxes, so I'm sure he'd want to be near them, if that's true. It would seem to me to be a perfect place for him to use as a base, in much the same was the Order was using Grimmauld Place in book 5.

Old June 5th, 2007, 2:21 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEWEASLEYS04 View Post
I found this in CoS that made me suspicious of a possible Voldy attack on Hogwarts. We got one clue in SS/PS and then this made me think of it again...
I just re-read CoS too, and I saw that quote, but for the life of me don't know how Harry knows that information that early. Is it just from Hagrid's explanation in PS/SS? "Didn't dare takin over the school - not just then anyways..."

Old June 5th, 2007, 3:30 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
I just re-read CoS too, and I saw that quote, but for the life of me don't know how Harry knows that information that early. Is it just from Hagrid's explanation in PS/SS? "Didn't dare takin over the school - not just then anyways..."
I think it was just partly because of what Hagrid said, that Harry knew Voldy had always feared DD, and the fact that he was trying to belittle Riddle with words to show he wasn't afraid of him.

Yet I think it is still curious that there are two mentions of this one in each of the first books...I just started on PoA, but if I find anything I will definately post it!

Old June 6th, 2007, 2:45 am
Purveyor of Prophesy

It was pretty much common knowledge/rumour that Dumbledore was the only Voldemort ever feared. Note that Tom Riddle did not correct him. You cannot say that it is because Tom Riddle from the diary had the point of view of a 16 year old boy. He knew about Voldemort. He makes a point of obsessing over the boy who brought down the greatest wizard of all time.

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.
Old June 6th, 2007, 5:35 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigdoctorbri View Post
It was pretty much common knowledge/rumour that Dumbledore was the only Voldemort ever feared. Note that Tom Riddle did not correct him. You cannot say that it is because Tom Riddle from the diary had the point of view of a 16 year old boy. He knew about Voldemort. He makes a point of obsessing over the boy who brought down the greatest wizard of all time.
I guess I was just wondering how Harry knew that though. Harry didn't even know that Riddle and Voldemort were the same person until Riddle told him. It just seems to me that Hagrid mentioned in an off handed way to Harry that Dumbledore was the only one LV ever feared, but when Harry faced Tom Riddle he seemed to know specifics of how much. This is based on the quote that LOVEWEASLEYS04 posted earlier.

Old June 6th, 2007, 5:40 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigdoctorbri View Post
Huh? I am confused. Could you elborate further?
I was addressing the fact that so far in each book (1,2, and 3--below) there is a mention of how DD keeps Hogwarts safe from Voldy and others. I think this is interesting canon since it seems to allude to an attack on Hogwarts.

Moving on. I am just starting PoA and I came across this:
Quote:
"(...) I don't think anything could hurt Harry at Hogwarts while Dumbledore is headmaster. I suppose he knows about all this?" (PoA, 66)
Harry is overhearing a conversation between Molly and Arthur about Sirius Black. Once again we are reminded as readers that while DD is at the school, Harry remains safe. With DD out of the picture now () it makes me think that Hogwarts is no longer safe from an attack.

P.S. HMN I like your new avatar

Old June 7th, 2007, 2:32 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Harry is overhearing a conversation between Molly and Arthur about Sirius Black. Once again we are reminded as readers that while DD is at the school, Harry remains safe. With DD out of the picture now () it makes me think that Hogwarts is no longer safe from an attack.
Now Dumbledore is gone there is nothing stopping the Death Eaters organising an effective attack. The Order could guard the school, but as we witnessed in OOTP they really can only handle one Death Eater at a time each. Meanwhile, the Ministry's wizards appear very ineffectual.

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Emma Watson

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old June 7th, 2007, 5:24 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf_Shaw View Post
Now Dumbledore is gone there is nothing stopping the Death Eaters organising an effective attack.
My thoughts exactly!

Quote:
The Order could guard the school, but as we witnessed in OOTP they really can only handle one Death Eater at a time each
It is possible that some members of The Order will be there to protect the school (some already teachers), but I think you make a vailed point here that the can really only take on one (maybe 2) at a time. I don't think having Order memebers there will stop an attack, I also think that Voldy will be after GG's sword which I assume he knows is at the school (via Lucious). But, that is another thread.

Quote:
Meanwhile, the Ministry's wizards appear very ineffectual.
So true, they are usually barking up the wrong tree anyways, so I can see the attack happening right under their noses...

Old June 7th, 2007, 6:00 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
I don't think having Order memebers there will stop an attack, I also think that Voldy will be after GG's sword which I assume he knows is at the school (via Lucious). But, that is another thread.
Yes you're right, the other thread of tracking and locating the Horcruxes does encroach slightly on the territory of this thread (but in a significant way). The possible attack or "takeover" of Hogwarts could be based around the sword, of which Lucius should know the whereabouts after the events of COS.

Emma Watson

Old June 9th, 2007, 2:47 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Okay I found another quote in PoA that made me think of a possible attack on Hogwarts:

PoA, 166
"Oh yes," said Dumbledore coldy. "But, I am afraid no dementor will cross the threshold of this castle while I am headmaster."

Possible dementor attack anyone?

Old June 9th, 2007, 6:04 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Okay I found another quote in PoA that made me think of a possible attack on Hogwarts:

PoA, 166
"Oh yes," said Dumbledore coldy. "But, I am afraid no dementor will cross the threshold of this castle while I am headmaster."

Possible dementor attack anyone?
Dumbledore's words could possibly foreshadow a Demntor attack in DH. If the Death Eaters are given more important responsibilities than crushing Hogwarts, then other deadly servants of Voldemort like Dementors are a likely option.

Emma Watson

Old June 9th, 2007, 7:02 pm
Squee-worthy

The fact that we are reminded of "Armies" throughout the books make me believe that an attack on Hogwarts will happen. Voldemort is building an army, what is he going to do with that army? Take over the MOM? Why exactly, they aren't a threat to him, Scrimgeour is just as bad Fudge ever was. Voldemort has a personal vendetta with Hogwarts. He wanted to be there when he was younger to "teach," and, much like Harry, it was the place where he found his potential and who he was destined to be. With Dumbledore gone, There is nothing standing in his way now from not only going back to Hogwarts, but trying to take it over.

Old June 9th, 2007, 10:17 pm
First Year

I agree with those that think Hogwarts could be a potential final battle place. However, I don't think it will be a big all-out battle, at least not the final one. IMO It may be just Voldemort and Harry, maybe with Wormtail and Snape. Potentially Bellatrix (if Neville hasn't finished her off), but I doubt it. If any of the rest of the main characters are there, they'll probably be killed off. Harry would need Ginny there for extra motivation, at least not against Voldemort. It'll be heated enough without the others.
If the final battle is not at Hogwarts, I'd guess it would be either at Privet Drive, Godric's Hollow, the graveyard that was in GOF (doubtful, IMO) or the Ministry again.
As for whether Voldemort will use it as his "lair", it's possible, but I don't think so. Did he even really have a "lair" before when he first came to power? Maybe someone else can answer, but I'm not sure. I think it's more likely that Voldemort goes from place to place, I don't see him staying put in one place for very long. I think Harry and Voldy will be on the move a good bit. IMO It is more possible that Voldemort would want to use Hogwarts after he, at least so he thinks, gets rid of Harry. He'd definitely want to take advantage of the magic there, but I also don't think he wants everyone to know where he is. Do all his DEs even know where he is at all times? Also, I agree that just because Dumbledore is gone, doesn't mean Voldy will be able to take over Hogwarts any easier. A lot of the founders put their magic on it, and it still works even though they're gone.

Old June 24th, 2007, 5:42 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Godric View Post
With Dumbledore gone, There is nothing standing in his way now from not only going back to Hogwarts, but trying to take it over.
I agree. It's been on his wish list for some time, hasn't it, to be 'somebody' at Hogwarts. Though he may have originally aimed for the DADA teaching position, I don't think Voldemort would pass up the chance to have/be much more than that.

It's time for some football!

J.K. Rowling's Official Website FAQs
Old June 24th, 2007, 6:16 pm
First Year

I think an attack on Hogwarts is higly possible, and ev en to be expected, to some degree. The Death Eaters entered Hogwarts already, so it can happen again, especially now Dumbledore's gone.

Hogwarts is higly valued by Voldemort, and taking it over would do a lot for his self-esteem (not that he really needs it, but anyway).

Also, I don't think a takeover of Hogwarts would do wonders for the public opinion. The people would be shocked and very scared. Hogwarts has always seemed very safe, so if it is taken over, people would feel even more terrified than they already are. This only works as an advantage for Voldemort.

Loyal Gryffindor

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!
Old June 24th, 2007, 8:59 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbusLives30 View Post
As for whether Voldemort will use it as his "lair", it's possible, but I don't think so. Did he even really have a "lair" before when he first came to power? Maybe someone else can answer, but I'm not sure. I think it's more likely that Voldemort goes from place to place, I don't see him staying put in one place for very long. I think Harry and Voldy will be on the move a good bit. IMO It is more possible that Voldemort would want to use Hogwarts after he, at least so he thinks, gets rid of Harry.
I don't think it's entirely the fact that he would want to use it as a stronghold (although that may be one aim), but I think it's more the principle that Dumbledore has kept him from something he desired for so long. He would want to take advantage of the magical potential held there by Slytherin, but I agree he wouldn't stay in one place for very long.

Emma Watson

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies