Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Whose Brains are in the Department of Mysteries?

Old January 8th, 2007, 3:18 am
Second Year

Whose Brains are in the Department of Mysteries?

H.B.P. Chapter 35, page 798 " ...and what looked like ribbons of moving images flew from it, unraveling like rolls of film-"

This quote refers to what Harry saw from the brain that flew at Ron in the Department of Mysteries (DOM), before the "tentacles of thought" attatched themselves to Ron.

The point of this thread is to assume that the brains held in the DOM once belonged to important, powerful and/or dangerous witches and wizards. This thread also assumes that Harry, Ron and Hermione will seek information/a specific memory from one or more of these brains.

Let us discuss:

1. Who the brains might have or might not have belonged to.
2. Why their brain would be/could be important to Harry, Ron and/or Hermione (ie. what info. or memories would be usefull).

Discussion Starter:

My personal theory is that a brain will belong to someone who can lead Harry to a Horcrux.

The WHO:
My money is that the pickled ball of slime once belonged to R.A.B., or in my opinion, Regulas Black. Perhaps the MOM kept his brain because he was a Death Eater.

The WHY IT'S IMPORTANT:
If R.A.B. is Regulas, and he had the locket, he might have more horcruxes, know their whereabouts or a clue to finding one.

Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2007, 3:49 am
Sirius' Girl

Re: Who's BRAINS are in the Department of Mysteries?

That's an interesting theory, except that I always had the impression somehow that it was some magically-altered thing, and this would be the work of a Dark witch or wizard. I can't see the MoM engaging in brain-stealing, even if it was from Regulus. I wonder if Ron, having had a close encounter with the thing, could be studied to find out more about it!

Old January 8th, 2007, 7:06 am
Third Year

Regulus' brain inside there? Well now that's a theory I hadn't heard before!

Personally, I don't think the brains are there just because they used to belong to important or dangerous (or both) witches and wizards. Some of them might be brains taken from powerful ones, but I think this would relate more to the study of the brain itself. As you know, the brain is the most complex structure in the human body, and it's a fact that we use just a very tiny portion of it. Perhaps the people at the DoM were mystified by this and put the brains into the tank so as to analyse them in depth, with the advantage of having magic to help them with this task, as opposed to muggle neurologists.

Or perhaps the brains are just there to study the origins of magic in humans, who knows. How it is possible that some humans have the power to do magic and others don't, something of the sort.

Old January 8th, 2007, 7:22 am
Third Year

see when i read this part for some reasons i thought that the brains were huge, i mean like the size of mini cooper, not normal 6 pound brains.

i dont think that it matters who the brains came from ,,, i just want to understand how they were playing a movie or whatever they were exactly doing there. Cmon who keeps brains in a tank. I can think of only two people, mad scientist and as Bookworm says neurologist.

Has Ron ever mentioned anything about his attack?

I hate how Jo leaves that open with no explanation. I think that i dont know anything about this topic

Old January 8th, 2007, 7:31 am
Second Year

I think there is something to them. Why describe them in such detail? Why not just say it flew at Ron and attatched the tentacles of thought. JKR doesn't ever go into unnecessary detail about anything unless it is forshadowing or necessary to paint a picture. I doubt that Jo would tell us that they could do this, but not have a reason why. I believe it was foreshadowing.

[quote=KimsPensieve;4287802] and this would be the work of a Dark witch or wizard. I can't see the MoM engaging in brain-stealing, even if it was from Regulus. I wonder if Ron, having had a close encounter with the thing, could be studied to find out more about it![/QUOTE

It wouldn't suprise me if they did. They locked Sirius up without a trial, they let Umbridge do all her ****, They try to unseat Dumbledore...

I think the fact that it attatched itself to Ron will prove usefull. It will definatley stick in his mind. Didn't DD say that thoughts can do more damage than ...something else, Ill look it up, its in OOTP. Maybe his attack will prevent him from forgetting, then Harry will remember the images he saw.

The DOM studies all sorts of things. Maybe studing the brains of powerful witches or wizards may yield something for the MOM. Perhaps they can solve crimes or find outlaws by using the brains' memories.

There could be a million reasons why they have the brains there, I just thing to get something from them is most likley.

It wouldn't suprise me if whose memory they'll seek belongs to a character we haven't been introduced to yet.

Old January 8th, 2007, 8:02 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimsPensieve View Post
and this would be the work of a Dark witch or wizard. I can't see the MoM engaging in brain-stealing, even if it was from Regulus. I wonder if Ron, having had a close encounter with the thing, could be studied to find out more about it!
I don't see the brains in the MoM as Dark Magic at all! Is it only "Evil Scientists" who study the Human Brain (or heart, or foot, or psychology...)?

I've always thought of this as the 'scientific' branch of the MoM where they study everything about the magical people and magical world and what makes them magical: wizard brains, time, death, love, and god knows what else.

I'm not sure the brains would have to be of famous or 'extraordinary' wizards... any brain would do really (in the same manner that any brain would suffice for a researcher on human brains). Having said that, there probably ARE famous/extraordinary brains in there as well since researchers are always comparing 'normal' to the 'abnormal', aren't they?

Old January 8th, 2007, 9:49 am
Fourth Year

wasn't luna interuped wen she was about to say what she thought the things were?

it may be they werent brains

wernt the things this thred aummes to be brains destoyed/killed ?

Old January 8th, 2007, 2:21 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel2099 View Post
wasn't luna interuped wen she was about to say what she thought the things were?

it may be they werent brains

wernt the things this thred aummes to be brains destoyed/killed ?
Since when was Luna's opinion of anything accurate? OOTP makes it pretty clear they were brains, and I tend to believe it because of the description.

Old January 8th, 2007, 5:48 pm
Second Year

Re: Whose Brains are in the Department of Mysteries?

I think the brains are experimental and nothing more. If they are in fact brains.

Great Image by ID824
Old January 8th, 2007, 6:47 pm
Second Year

My vote goes to the Dark Lord Grindelwald (sp?). Mainly because he was a powerful dark wizard who's thoughts, if found, could help them defeat Voldemort.

Old January 8th, 2007, 9:13 pm
Second Year

i can see what you mean by important peoples brains being in the DOM but i dont think regulus, maybe just really dangerous wizards who were likely to kill themselves or others, or someone who knew too much about something that the ministry didn't want people to know about.

"One felt as if there was an enormous well behind them, filled up with ages of memory and long, slow, steady thinking; but their surface was sparkling with the present; like sun shimmering on the outer leaves of a vast tree, or on the ripples of a very deep lake. I don't know, but it felt as if something that grew in the ground - asleep, you might say, or just feeling itself as something between root-tip and leaf-tip, between deep earth and sky had suddenly waked up, and was considering you with the same slow care that it had given to its own inside affairs for endless years."
Old January 9th, 2007, 3:30 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytail View Post
see when i read this part for some reasons i thought that the brains were huge, i mean like the size of mini cooper, not normal 6 pound brains.
I just had this amazing vision of what it would be like if everyone drove around in giant brains...

Anyway, maybe the brains didn't belong to anyone. They could have been independent, cloned body parts or something to that effect. Wizards, like muggles, probably have a need for organ transplants; the Department of Mysteries seems as good a place as any to perfect the system without taking vital organs from other humans.

Old January 9th, 2007, 3:48 am
Third Year

i think they probably belong to a dark wizard that died ...like Grindalwald!.....LOL good of Dumbledore to Donate it to the DOM.

Mcgonagall:Do you think it will work Severus?
Snape: Of course it will....The WB muggles will think this necklace is worth millions of dollars and they will grab it, Then the spell i casted will work and they will all turn into........
Mcgonagall:A bunch of babbling, bumbling band of baboons!....Now Hurry up and package it already!...Serves them right!.
Old January 9th, 2007, 12:32 pm
First Year

...or maybe they belonged to the four hogwatrs founders?

Old January 9th, 2007, 5:25 pm
Fifth Year

Could the brains have been donated for study, just like people donate organs and stuff ?

It would make sense that people who were interested in helping out the DoM studies had their brains/organs donated. But then that would mean people knew about what was going on in the DoM.. Maybe older scientists dedicated to the study decided to leave their own students these live specimens to research on.

My Pottermore username: DawnNox88

Old January 10th, 2007, 12:04 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
The point of this thread is to assume that the brains held in the DOM once belonged to important, powerful and/or dangerous witches and wizards. This thread also assumes that Harry, Ron and Hermione will seek information/a specific memory from one or more of these brains.
I don't think the brains in Department of Mysteries belong to that of Grindelwald's or other dark wzards. There is no indication that the department of mysteries studies anything to do with Dark Magic or an interest in Dark Wizards.

I think these brains are the deceased Unspeakables brains. They keep the brains of their dead researchers. Kind of like what they did with Albert Einstein in the Muggle world. They had gotten permission from Einstein before he died to conduct lab tests on his brain and it was weighed, dissected, etc.

Unspeakables are theoretically powerful and important.
What they do is unquestonable difficult. Some of them have been dark wizards, e.g. Augustus Rookwood. But that wouldn't be the main reason they'd keep the brains of their dead.

I also think showing the House Elfs early on in Grimmauld Place, where Mrs. Black kept the heads of the house elves, parallels as a clue later to the Department of Mysteries keeping the brains of the Unspeakables. Some of the greatest magical minds.

"Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living and above all, those who live without love."

Tom Riddle's death was the saddest in Deathly Hallows, because he never really lived.

Last edited by LJB85; January 10th, 2007 at 12:06 pm.
Old January 10th, 2007, 1:10 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJB85 View Post
I don't think the brains in Department of Mysteries belong to that of Grindelwald's or other dark wzards. There is no indication that the department of mysteries studies anything to do with Dark Magic or an interest in Dark Wizards.

I think these brains are the deceased Unspeakables brains. They keep the brains of their dead researchers. Kind of like what they did with Albert Einstein in the Muggle world. They had gotten permission from Einstein before he died to conduct lab tests on his brain and it was weighed, dissected, etc.
My thoughts exactly!

Quote:
Unspeakables are theoretically powerful and important.
What they do is unquestonable difficult. Some of them have been dark wizards, e.g. Augustus Rookwood. But that wouldn't be the main reason they'd keep the brains of their dead.

I also think showing the House Elfs early on in Grimmauld Place, where Mrs. Black kept the heads of the house elves, parallels as a clue later to the Department of Mysteries keeping the brains of the Unspeakables. Some of the greatest magical minds.
Could be!

Old January 10th, 2007, 4:04 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MioneBookworm View Post
Or perhaps the brains are just there to study the origins of magic in humans, who knows. How it is possible that some humans have the power to do magic and others don't, something of the sort.
I like this idea. I mean - where does magic come from? It's not the wand; some wizards can do wandless magic, so I'd say the wand is used more for directing the flow. So where does magic originate? It's possible that Unspeakables might be investigating the human brain to work this out - maybe they even think it comes from the apparently unused parts of it you mentioned. I don't think they're necessarily studying powerful/dark wizard's brains, so this seems more likely.

Move on, move on
No there's nothing changing
Old January 10th, 2007, 4:18 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritey View Post
I like this idea. I mean - where does magic come from? It's not the wand; some wizards can do wandless magic, so I'd say the wand is used more for directing the flow. So where does magic originate? It's possible that Unspeakables might be investigating the human brain to work this out - maybe they even think it comes from the apparently unused parts of it you mentioned. I don't think they're necessarily studying powerful/dark wizard's brains, so this seems more likely.
I always envisioned that magic was like the Force in Star Wars, and that the power is communicated from the universe to the person through the midichlorides in cells. Wizards could be genetically disposed to make use of this link, whereas Muggles and Squibs cannot. That being said, it would take a part of the brain to actually sort everything out, and maybe that's what's being studied.

Old January 10th, 2007, 7:43 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Good thinking!! May be they also preserve some brains of the most famous and efficient wizards and witches who were having a great magical power.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies