Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Whose Brains are in the Department of Mysteries?

Old February 9th, 2007, 11:04 am
Second Year

Re: Whose Brains are in the Department of Mysteries?

yes i think they are powerful storage houses for information. after ron was attacked by one he went temporarily insane..so maybe they are brains of powerful wizards who could do legimins? whatever the spelling is.

Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2007, 12:02 pm
First Year

I thought that the brains was Jo's incarnation of mind flayers and they were in the ministry because were captured and being studied.

Quote:
1. mind flayer

Mind flayers are inexorably evil, existing only for their own pleasure, even at the great expense of hundreds of other creatures. mind flayers feed by extracting the brains of their victims and devouring them whole.

sourced from Urban Dictionary

Old February 9th, 2007, 4:30 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mather View Post
My vote goes to the Dark Lord Grindelwald (sp?). Mainly because he was a powerful dark wizard who's thoughts, if found, could help them defeat Voldemort.
Well, that would certainly explain why JKR refused to answer whether Grindelwald would be a factor in DH!

Old February 16th, 2007, 6:09 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by kash View Post
after ron was attacked by one he went temporarily insane..so maybe they are brains of powerful wizards who could do legimins? whatever the spelling is.
I never thought about him going insane right after. I wonder if this is the norm or if it depends on who the brains belong to, or how you interact or how you interact with the brain itself.

Old February 16th, 2007, 12:10 pm
Fifth Year

Maybe they are the brains of witches and wizards like the founders of Hogwarts. Some of the most accomplished in the world of magic. Brains are the depository of knowledge and this could be something like a large magical library.

The ministry is studing the information and abilities of the most talented magical people in the world.

They could also be studing the brains of squibs and muggleborns. These are two groups of people who are relatively rare. It would be an interesting project to find out what genetic qualities must be present to create one of these people

Or maybe they are the brains of intellengent people who are still working to solve problems in the wizarding world. The brains are housed in a liquid so I guess that they could still communicate with each other. The electric charges which are used to carry thoughts could travel through the fluid to the other brains.

I have wondered it Ron may have gained some knowledge when the brains touched him or maybe he was just hurt in the attempt.

I sure hope they are important enough for Jo to let us know what they are doing in the MOM.

Tarot Cards for Fun and Fortune Telling

Someone who spoiled Deathly Hallows

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old February 16th, 2007, 12:21 pm
Student

I think that they probably just belong to people who have died and are being studied. I'm not sure if they're very important.

Old February 16th, 2007, 12:29 pm
First Year

i dont think its that important to find out why the brains were in the mom or who they belonged to. i think its going to be more about what ron gained or lost from the experience. i dont think he will be any better or worse at anything but i imagine the trio walking somewhere they havent been before and ron saying ive seen this place before etc

Old February 16th, 2007, 11:07 pm
Second Year

I like the idea of gaining knowledge from the brains as if personally known. Maybe they can learn how to do something. like a spell or something.

Old February 16th, 2007, 11:14 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyllyweed View Post
I never thought about him going insane right after. I wonder if this is the norm or if it depends on who the brains belong to, or how you interact or how you interact with the brain itself.
No, Ron did not get insane after being attacked by the brains. He got kind of funny and giddy after being hit with an unknown spell by a DE in the planet room. That made him summon the brains in the first place. The brains then almost suffocated him and caused scars on his arms.

Avatar by Hunter_Graphics; Signature by Xuxu
Old February 16th, 2007, 11:30 pm
Second Year

Oh right, I remember now. I knew that, I don't know what I was thinking.
Blonde moment.

Old February 17th, 2007, 2:11 am
First Year

I think that the brains belong to people that they might have tested to try new spells.
Or just...I don't know. To me it sounded like there were at least like 25 brains in there. So I really don't think that it could be the founding fathers.

Old February 17th, 2007, 2:24 am
Third Year

They probably were the brains of people who donated their brain the "magical science". Like the Body Worlds museum exibit.

ON THE QUEST

Watch Chuck ~ = ~ Chat Chuck ~ = ~ Support Chuck
Harry Potter Caption Contest
: The best fanfiction out there.
in - - I grudgingly trust Severus Snape. ~ ~ ~ ~ Black Σφ390
Old February 17th, 2007, 3:58 am
First Year

It would be interesting to think that the brains are those of Squibs, just as medical science today is investagating causes of illnesses and oddities in the brain, the MoM may be studying why some are born as Squibs.

However, I don't think Jo would put in the brains only for that. They could very well be the brains of past great wizards (of both good and evil varieties), being studied for how and why they were more gifted than others.

Or, as Black XY390 said, it could just be those who donated their brains to science, in this case 'magical sicience'.

Old March 1st, 2007, 11:55 pm
Second Year

OotP Ch 37 Pg 843
" 'There is a room in the Dept. of Mysteries', interupted Dumbledore, ' that is kept locked at all times. It contains a force that is at once more wonderful and more terrible than death, than human intelligence, than forces of nature...' "

Why would JKR mention human intelligence amoung forces of nature and death? I think this is mentioned because it is important in some, if not many ways. Maybe the information the brains hold are an example of this.

Old March 2nd, 2007, 2:19 am
Purveyor of Prophesy

I doubt that the brains are actually human brains at all. They must be some other formation. Even in the wizarding world brains need bloodflow and oxygen to survive. Clearly wizard bodies are just as fragile as muggle ones. Not being connected to a body is not conducive to life. Certain rules must apply in the Wizarding World as they do in the Muggle World.

These brains must have been some magical experiment gone awry!

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 2:32 am
Second Year

I like the theory that these are the brains of former unspeakables. If there is anyway to extract information from someone's mind posthumously, then the mind of the unspeakables could be dangerous in the wrong hands, maybe the present unspeakables wanted to keep their information safe so they saved the brains, and locked them away, putting a charm on them to attack anything that tried to steal them.

Old March 2nd, 2007, 12:21 pm
First Year

Dumbledore gave us clues about what the brains were doing in the DoM... I wonder if it's been mentioned before, but the list of mysterious things that Dumbledore talked about when he briefed Harry on the Prophecy seem to fit with the rooms that we've visited;

OotP, The Lost ProphecyThere is a room in the Department of Mysteries... that is kept locked at all times. It contains a force that is at once more wonderful and terrible than death, than human intelligence, than the forces of nature.

Death = studied in the room with the viel; the "Death Chamber"

Human intelligence = studied in the brain room. Woohoo neurology.

Forces of nature = studied in the planets room. We humans may think we know all there is about planetary movements, but with all these theories about dark matter, dark energy, string theorem and quantum mechanics, and black holes that contain shortcuts to alternate universes, we've barely scratched the surface.

Sorry if that was off-topic, just wanted to point it out. Dumbledore didn't make any sort of comment that would suggest that the brains once belonged to great minds, but he hasn't disproven it either. The most likely story is that those brains are blanks, that the unspeakables implanted with simple memories for testing out how they stored and recalled information and things. Anything's possible, I guess, but I doubt they would have had Regulus Black's brain. He was supposedly murdered on Voldemort's orders, and I'm not sure how long it was before they found his body, and how much damage the brain had sustained from the lack of blood-flow.

I wonder why one of the brains attacked Ron so viciously though... if it was just meant to be studied, surely they would have attempted to make it less of a work safety-hazard for the unspeakables. Unless(!), the thought-tentacles were a security system...? To protect whatever information they're supposed to conceal?

| Prong's piggy- er, "staggyback" | Occlumency (photomanip) |
|Parents that thrice defied... (pencil sketch) | Buck...beak. (took about 12 hours) | Fox Animagus: But Who? (10 hours) |
| Thestrals, To the Rescue. (12 hours) | The Heir of Slytherin (7 hrs) | A comic fo' Sirius |

Every time someone spoils, this wolf bursts another vocal chord.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 6:56 pm
Second Year

Yeah I definately think the tentacles were some sort of security system, to protect whatever was inside. They were lying peacefully in the green liquid until Ron did the accio spell then one attacked him.

Does anybody notice the serious similaritys between this seen and the scene in HBP? The seemingly peaceful bodys of the inferi placed as a security measure, only attacking when their keep was in danger, the glowing green of the lake...

Old March 2nd, 2007, 7:26 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixashe View Post
Yeah I definately think the tentacles were some sort of security system, to protect whatever was inside. They were lying peacefully in the green liquid until Ron did the accio spell then one attacked him.

Does anybody notice the serious similaritys between this seen and the scene in HBP? The seemingly peaceful bodys of the inferi placed as a security measure, only attacking when their keep was in danger, the glowing green of the lake...
Maybe the tentacles then are a security sytem put onto the brains by the researchers who wanted to prevent unauthorised people to mess with them.

Could it be the brains are completely artificial? Maybe with thoughts and memories of Unspeakables planted in them to see how exactly it works or anything like that? Could become interesting if Ron, in DH, has some late after effect of the attack. Maybe that could provide an important clue for Harry then.

Avatar by Hunter_Graphics; Signature by Xuxu
Old March 2nd, 2007, 7:29 pm
BANNED... No really they are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbysleftsock View Post
...or maybe they belonged to the four hogwatrs founders?
Now there's a thought! That would be very interesting if the brains that were so alluring and interesting to Harry and the others were of the ones who founded one of Harry's favorite places. Their memories could provide hints to places that may be hidden (a la Chamber of Secrets). One of those places could contain one horcrux. Also, if the brains are R.A.B's or Regulus's, their thoughts could very well help Harry in finding the real horcrux that was replaced in the cave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermyweasly View Post
Good thinking!! May be they also preserve some brains of the most famous and efficient wizards and witches who were having a great magical power.
I agree.

ALL HAIL THE PIXIE QUEEN TINKIE!!
Mave, RN.
Winner of Happiest Hoggie Award (2011).

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies