Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

The Importance of Hagrid

Old January 20th, 2007, 6:52 pm
First Year

The Importance of Hagrid

I was just wondering if perhaps Hagrid is the person JK Rowling talked about when she mentioned, "There is a character who, in desperate circumstances, manages to do magic quite late in life. This is very rare."

I know, everyone is thinking that he already knows how to do magic so it couldn't have been him; but what if it is referring to him not being able to do magic because he was expelled? Under these desperate circumstances of Dumbledore's death and Voldemort's return, perhaps Hagrid will be granted the right of a fully-fledged wizard and will be able to do magic quite late in life legally. After all, he has been hiding his abilities so not many people know of his powers.

If you haven't noticed it before, Hagrid is a powerful wizard. He uses nonverbal spells often (starting the fire without saying anything when he first met Harry in SS, and making the boat move, etc.) Turning Dudley into a pig would be considered advanced magic as well. Also, he used an engorgement charm on those grubs in HBP (I think I got the book right). All of these spells Harry didn't learn until recently. Hagrid also knows how to produce a Protronus since he is in the Order.

Also, spells bounce off of him due to his giant blood. Would an AK bounce off of him as well? Even if Hagrid is not the person JKR was referring to, I think we have only begun to see Hagrid in his full capacity. I think he will play a role in DH and show his true abilities. What do you all think?

Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2007, 6:57 pm
Second Year

Re: The Importance of Hagrid

I think Hagrid will play a big part in the seventh book. There is more to him then we have seen so far. He is going to do something great but I just do not know for sure what it might be. He is going to help Harry,I just know he is. lol

Old January 20th, 2007, 7:01 pm
First Year

Oh, and one thing I forgot. An idea I had was that Hagrid knows the magical creatures. What if he was able to get them together to help fight Voldemort? An army of magical creatures probably wouldn't fight like we would think they would, but they could be spies, listening for things, and report to Hagrid.

Old January 20th, 2007, 10:25 pm
First Year

Quote:
"There is a character who, in desperate circumstances, manages to do magic quite late in life. This is very rare.
Quote:
but what if it is referring to him not being able to do magic because he was expelled

"Manages to do magic quite late in life" it implys for me that the person hasn't done any magic before. But as far as we know Hagrid is able to do charms eventhough it's not permitted to him. Remembering the scenes when Hagrid picked up Harry at the house on the island. He used magic to give Dudley a pig tail for example. Or later on in CoS Harry thought that Hagrid might had charmed the pumpkins for Halloween because they lappeared so huge.

Nevertheless I believe that Hagrid will have an important role in book 7. Because as you said he is a "connector" between creatures and wizzards.

Old January 20th, 2007, 11:06 pm
First Year

I don't think he was the specific person that J.K was refering to, but i agree that he will be important to the story

"Ah, no!" said Ron, staring horror-struck at the parchement. "Dont say I'll have to write the whole thing out again!""It's OK, we can fix it," said Hermione, pulling the essay towards her and taking out her wand."I love you, Hermione," said Ron, sinking back in his chair, rubbing his eyes weaily.
Hermione turned faintly pink, but merely said, "Don't let Lavender hear you saying that."
"I won't, said Ron into his hands. "Or maybe I will ... then she'll ditch me ..." -HBP

Harry was left to ponder in silence the depths to which girls would sink to get revenge. -HBP
Old January 20th, 2007, 11:15 pm
First Year

I think he will help Harry no doubt, but when the end is near he will be fighting Giants and that might be his end. He is going to be important because he is the last of who Harry might consider a Father/Brother figure. It would be his death that would crush Harry and make his fire greater to kill LV.

He could be the one who gets the magic, but we know that he does it already(Dudley's Tail). I think he will help Harry and his death can be the thing that is important in the story that he is involved with. And it would be totally ironic if he died from Giants. He is the only character that could die that would hurt, but not be in vain.

Old January 20th, 2007, 11:49 pm
Second Year

As for the "late bloomer" who does magic, JKR says it isn't Dudley or Petunia...
Hagrid has done magic before. That leaves squibs Madam Pince, Argus Filch, and Arabella Figg, or Vernon or Marge Dursley... I hope it's Mrs Figg!

Old January 21st, 2007, 12:15 am
Third Year

I'm sure that Hagrid isn't the person JKR is referring to when she says this...but I also think he'll play a role in the 7th book. It seems ridiculous to build up his character for the entire series and then let him stagnate in the final book, so I'm sure he'll continue to have his part to play.

Old January 21st, 2007, 12:23 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culte Ventosus View Post
As for the "late bloomer" who does magic, JKR says it isn't Dudley or Petunia...
Hagrid has done magic before. That leaves squibs Madam Pince, Argus Filch, and Arabella Figg, or Vernon or Marge Dursley... I hope it's Mrs Figg!
I agree. Hagrid obviously isn't the "late bloomer" since he has been a student at Hogwarts and obviously did magic in the past. (legally and illegally) He has been and probably will continue to be important to the story, although I don't think he'll meet his end in book seven.

Hagrid has been used in the past to give Harry all kinds of hints and information as well as to introduce him to various magical creatures.

Old January 21st, 2007, 12:23 am
Third Year

I agree that Hagrid will have a role to play, but I seriously doubt that he's the one Jo mentioned in that interview. I believe the key word there was that someone 'manages' to do magic late in life. Implying that until then, they couldn't manage to do magic, and as we know, Hagrid does manage to do magic, even with his broken wand hiding inside his pink umbrella.

"If you are prepared..."
"I am," said Snape.
Old January 21st, 2007, 12:24 am
First Year

I think Hagrid will play an important role in Deathly Hallows, but it won't have much to do with the giants.

I think his role in Deathly Hallows will be in helping Harry piece together what happened at Godric's Hollow. Hagrid is the person closest to Harry who actually knows where the place is (how else will Harry even know how to get there?). Hagrid also would be able to shed light on what transpired from the moment he arrived there to the moment he dropped off Harry at No. 4, Privet Drive - there's a lot in that sequence of events that has yet to be explained.

As for the person who will do magic late in life, my money is on FILCH.

Old January 21st, 2007, 12:31 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset03 View Post
I was just wondering if perhaps Hagrid is the person JK Rowling talked about when she mentioned, "There is a character who, in desperate circumstances, manages to do magic quite late in life. This is very rare."

I know, everyone is thinking that he already knows how to do magic so it couldn't have been him; but what if it is referring to him not being able to do magic because he was expelled? Under these desperate circumstances of Dumbledore's death and Voldemort's return, perhaps Hagrid will be granted the right of a fully-fledged wizard and will be able to do magic quite late in life legally. After all, he has been hiding his abilities so not many people know of his powers.

If you haven't noticed it before, Hagrid is a powerful wizard. He uses nonverbal spells often (starting the fire without saying anything when he first met Harry in SS, and making the boat move, etc.) Turning Dudley into a pig would be considered advanced magic as well. Also, he used an engorgement charm on those grubs in HBP (I think I got the book right). All of these spells Harry didn't learn until recently. Hagrid also knows how to produce a Protronus since he is in the Order.

Also, spells bounce off of him due to his giant blood. Would an AK bounce off of him as well? Even if Hagrid is not the person JKR was referring to, I think we have only begun to see Hagrid in his full capacity. I think he will play a role in DH and show his true abilities. What do you all think?
if u say he already knows how do do advanced magic, then why would JKR reffer 2 him?
i think hagrid will play a role, but not this one...i think maybe dudly could do this role...or maybe filch?

Old January 21st, 2007, 1:06 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culte Ventosus View Post
From what JKR has said on her website, I seriously doubt we're going to see any sudden magical ability in the Dursleys. I'd definitely go for Filch or Mrs Figg - and at the moment I'm thinking Filch is perhaps the most likely given that Harry discovered he was trying to learn magic in COS. Maybe in the past he's done something unexpected, or something weird happened to him which gave him hope that he might have some magic in him after all - hence the slightly pathetic attempt with the dodgy-sounding instruction book? I definitely think that's more likely than the late-blooming wizard reference being about Hagrid, since we've seen him perform spells. It's got to be something that'll surprise the readers.

By the way, is Madam Pince a squib? I've just re-read OOTP and when Harry and Ginny are eating chocolate in the library, Pince sends all their things 'chasing after them' (I think that's more or less the words used) implying a spell. Unless I've just not been paying attention, I've always thought she was a qualified witch.

Old January 21st, 2007, 9:09 pm
Second Year

I think that Filch is the better canidate for showing magic late in life. I think that we are given a clue to this when (in CoS) we learn that Filch is trying to learn how to do magic. Hagrid has been doing magic since he was kicked out of school. I really don't see J.K.R. using him as someone doing magic late in life. After he's been doing magic anyway.

Old January 21st, 2007, 9:25 pm
Second Year

Do we know if this is a character we've already been introduced to? For all we know, it could be a new character.

And I would think it's Mrs. Figg who will do magic, if indeed it is a character we already know.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!. Witty and clever sig images are of course bonus, but not required.
Old January 21st, 2007, 9:49 pm
Fifth Year

Hagrid's definitely going to play a some part, as will (I suspect) his brother. I think that Jo had some idea in mind for Grawp, other than what we've already seen.

I know it probably won't happen, but I'd like to see Hagrid re-admitted to Hogwarts as a student. We all know that he was wrongly expelled; It only seems right that he be allowed to finish, and become a certified wizard.

Old January 21st, 2007, 10:12 pm
Second Year

Maybe we'll find out that over the summer Hagrid has done some studing up and was alloyed to take his OWL's. I mean sure he was expelled, but it is possible that after all of these years someone goes before the ministry and says look at all that he has done for Hogwarts. Maybe someone pulls a few strings or something and Hagrid (not exactly being allowed to re-enter Hogwarts as a student) is allowed to take his OWL's and is then given permission to do magic.
No I really don't think that it will be him doing magic late in life... I still that will be one of the squibs... but really he could possibly take his OWLS and be allowed to do magic legally.

Old January 21st, 2007, 11:05 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by visitorspass View Post
I think that Filch is the better canidate for showing magic late in life. I think that we are given a clue to this when (in CoS) we learn that Filch is trying to learn how to do magic. Hagrid has been doing magic since he was kicked out of school. I really don't see J.K.R. using him as someone doing magic late in life. After he's been doing magic anyway.
I hope Filch does NOT show magical tendencies! We all know what kind of person he is-not a good one! I am just afraid he might do more harm to Harry and the other students than good! And I just don't see Ms. Figg being in this book a whole lot. Harry is not going to be in Privet Drive for very long. If she was going to do magic I would think she would have tried when Harry needed her in OOTP.

Old January 22nd, 2007, 3:15 am
Third Year

Hagrid has always done little things that have significance overall. I think he might play a big role in the last book

It's possible Mrs. Figg could be the one to use magic late in life. She might have to protect the Dursleys if something happens when Harry comes of age

Old January 22nd, 2007, 5:56 am
First Year

I do believe Hagrid may play a crucial part in DH, but I doubt he is the one J.K. speaks of. A good theory though.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies