Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Will Tonks or Fleur try the Homorphus Charm?

Old February 16th, 2007, 3:03 am
First Year

Re: Will Tonks or Fleur try the Homorphus Charm?

I cannot believe she would slip the Homorphus Charm on us in Book 2, a good werewolf in Book 3, a bad one in Book 6, and the half-werewolf at the end of Book 6 if there was not a tie-in. I believe somehow we will learn who Lockhart stole the memory from (we know those memories can be retrieved- perhaps Lockhart himself could do it), or Abeforth will be able to perform it (practicing inappropriate charms on goats, anyone?). I firmly believe Lupin and Bill will be cured at the end.

Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2007, 3:24 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally posted by cherbear
I firmly believe Lupin and Bill will be cured at the end.
I'm not so sure that they'll be cured. Even though I want the story to be happy ending, I think that the point is that not everything has a magic cure, but you can be happy without one.

My point: People can still be happy even with their problems. Lupin and Bill don't need to be were-free to live a happy life.

Lord of the Rings fan with a weird sense of humor? Read my fanfic!
Old March 4th, 2007, 3:47 am
Fifth Year

Since Bill is not a full werewolf, then Fleur may be successful if she tries the Homorphus charm. There must be some reason why few wizards have tried it, it can't be that it is just a difficult charm. Maybe it requires a sacrifice on the part of the wizard casting the charm.

Can you guess where I am?
Old March 4th, 2007, 10:11 pm
Third Year

I'm hesistant to beleive that the Homorphus Charm actually exists, it could have all been Lockhart making more **** up. He said that he cured a werewolf in COS, but he was taking the credit for what another wizard did. But he could have been embellishing the story: what could have happened was that a wizard was bit by something else and cured, and Lockhart would have just said that junk about werewolves to make himself look better. Anyway, if the charm was real, it would prolly be v obscure, or even have been invented by the wizard that Lockhart said really cured the werewolf, and therefore not have made it into the spell-books yet. And then, it could have just been a mistake that JKR made.

In answer to the question (Will Tonks or Fleur try the Homorphus Charm?), I think that, if it were possible, and with Lupin's permission, Tonks would perform (or get a Healer to do it) the charm, for Lupin's sake.

Fleur seemed ok enough with Bill's condition, and he will prolly not be a full werewolf, so I do not think she would attempt the charm.

It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo...The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end... Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why... Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something...there's some good in this world... and it's worth fighting for.
--Samwise the Brave

If you think nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door.

Better to keep your mouth shut and look like an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Old March 5th, 2007, 4:50 am
Curse Breaker

I think either or both of them would be willing to try it, but I don't think either of them really has the power to pull it off. In the wrong hands, I'm sure that experiment could go horribly wrong and Tonks would be risking a bite from a full-grown, transformed werewolf to even attempt to cure Remus that way. I don't think he'd let her do that.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old March 5th, 2007, 7:19 pm
Third Year

Fleur- I don't think she would try it, despite being enormously talented ( although we must remember that this was the opinion expressed by Barty Crouch Jr as Mad-Eye Moody and you have to wonder how he knew anything about Fleur's background!)
She loves Bill as he is-I don't think she would say "I am good-looking enough for the both of us" and then want him to change. It also seems less likely that he will develop the full effects of werewolf status. Only if he was in danger or in danger of hurting others would she, or anyone else connected with Bill try it, I think.
If anyone could figure out how to cure him, and would want to do so, I think it would actually be the twins.

Tonks-Once again, she loves him as he is and is knowledgable about the condition-she knows what she would be getting into and is willing to put up with that ( Much like Willow with Oz, for those who know Buffy!)
I think that it is more likely that he might try the charm, as he does not consider himself worthy of her ( again this mirrors the storyline in Buffy because Oz went to search out a cure before coming back to Willow). As one of the Marauders, he certainly isn't afraid of taking risks, and with both James and Sirius dying for what they believed in, I think its possible that he would be brave enough to risk the consequences for Tonks' sake.

I don't know if its just me, but I'm not entirely certain as to his feelings for Tonks though. Their "relationship" was not really explored and feels, at this point, a little superficial. I don't think we've seen enough to know if he loves her enough to try it.
Also, he has been coping with being a werewolf for a long time, and surely would have been likely to investigate potential cures far sooner....not just because he would be doing it for someone else.
It's quite sad really that there didn't seem to be anyone, like family who would be researching a cure or helping him find one. Sure, the Marauders took risks to keep him company-maybe they were so consumed with the fun of it, that they didn't think of trying to actually cure him.

Old March 5th, 2007, 8:58 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugabeen View Post
It's quite sad really that there didn't seem to be anyone, like family who would be researching a cure or helping him find one. Sure, the Marauders took risks to keep him company-maybe they were so consumed with the fun of it, that they didn't think of trying to actually cure him.
Lupin mentions in POA that his parents looked for a way to help him, but there was nothing that they found to do for him, so they obviously did try to look for a cure. I'd say that his family is likely dead by the time the books start since he only mentions family members when he discusses the past. Also during holidays, he never goes to visit family. He just visits friends, so I don't think he has any remaining relatives.

Old June 26th, 2007, 5:12 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbysfriend View Post
Fleur appears to be very determined and she may grab at any chance to return Bill to his previous self. Her wand is 9 1/2 inches, inflexible rosewood with a hair from a Veela, could it be inflexible because she is too? She is a very determined witch, and doesn't let other people's opinions affect her.
Good thinking.

I think the Charm is definitely dangerous. Otheriwise the number of werewolves in the world would be much smaller.

At first I thought that it would be Tonks who tried the Charm, and Fleur who surprises all by sticking to her position. But then I realized that Tonks was in love with Lupin despite his werewolf-ness. She is used the the idea, and she won't suddenly change her mind. Fleur, however, is unpredictable on this. We didn't think she and Bill were deeply in love because their engagement was so short, and then at the end we realized we were all very wrong, because she loved him despite the bites. I think that if Fleur doesn't try it, Mrs. Weasley will. She was the one who commented (repeatedly, if I remember correctly) about what a handsome boy he had been. She will lament the loss of his face. She will be the most desperate woman, more so than Tonks or even Fleur. Harry is living proof of how strong a mother's love can be, and how hard it is for a mother to let go of her son (or, in this case, the son he used to be).

Old June 26th, 2007, 8:56 pm
Fifth Year

Lockhart had admitted that all the deeds he takes pride of in his books were done by other people, and that he qestioned them and later took away their memory. At this point he has no reason to lie, so I think that the Homorphus Charm really does exist.
I think I know why the Homorphus Charm isn't used very often - In the reenactment of the story about the werewolf, the man Lockhart supposedly used the charm on was in his werewolf form during the full moon. Approaching a werewolf during the full moon is a very dangerous thing to do, and it likely took place before the invention of the wolfsbane potion, which is a new invention. This explains why it wasn't used often in the past.
In Harry's time you could give a werewolf wolfsbane potion, and after the full moon rises perform the Homorphus Charm on him/her, but as both the potion and charm are known to be extremely complex and difficult, it must be hard to find people willing and able to brew the potion and cast the spell.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies