Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Neville vs. Bellatrix

Old April 7th, 2007, 3:13 am
Second Year

Neville vs. Bellatrix

Neville and Bellatrix--will those two have a final showdown? Is there any evidence in the existing books that may point to what lies ahead for these two integral characters in book seven???

(I hope this hasn't already been discussed! I've done an advanced search and come up with nothing. Please let me know so I can have this thread removed/merged with the existing one!)

You must defeat the second most powerful wizard of the age.
You must defend leagues of men, women, and children, wizard and muggle, from his malice.
You must avenge your parents' deaths.
There is no room for failure.
Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2007, 3:18 am
Sirius' Girl

Re: Neville vs. Bellatrix

Neville deserves a chance to face her again-- should it happen, it will be ugly, but I think it's been driving him to improve his skills and have faith in his abilities. He trusts himself to make good decisions, and this will serve him in life far beyond Hogwarts (should, um, well... anyway....)

Old April 7th, 2007, 3:21 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Oh I wish he would kill her,but i dont think hes capable of that,no matter what youhave to mean killing curses,and he doesnt wouldnt he be in too much risk,i mean she is evil and hes not that good,he is improving but to face her...i would be too much.

Old April 7th, 2007, 3:29 am
First Year

If any one deserves to kill her, it would be either Harry or Neville, for the deaths of a godfather and the insanity of both parents, respectively. Hopwever, most people assume tht Harry will be having a final showdown will Voldy, so I hope Neville gets a shot a Bellatrix.

Old April 7th, 2007, 3:31 am
Hogwarts Graduate

yeah ,i know but neville vs Bella...unless Neville has devilsnare by his side or a plant to aid him ,he doesnt stand a chance.

Old April 7th, 2007, 3:34 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montse View Post
Oh I wish he would kill her,but i dont think hes capable of that,no matter what youhave to mean killing curses,and he doesnt wouldnt he be in too much risk,i mean she is evil and hes not that good,he is improving but to face her...i would be too much.
I honestly believe that Neville is capable. After living with his grandmother and seeing his parents in St. Mungo's, Neville has undoubtedly bottled up severe emotions regarding the people who did this to his family. Whether or not he uses his emotions to end Bellatrix's life is one thing, but he has the ability. Harry noticed Neville's growing skill during the Army training in OOTP, and Neville proved his usefullness against Death Eaters in both OOTP and HBP.

Also, Neville doesn't have to kill her, especially with killing curses. He could help to capture her and then the Ministry can do whatever they must (according to the law, foc course) with her after that, he could shoot her with a powerful jinx that may disable her in some way, or he may even manage something at the last minute in self-defense that ultimately kills her (such as causing something heavy to fall on her, or whatever he must do in order to survive).

Maybe! I think Neville's capable of going against Bellatrix, but I truly wonder if Neville will be the one to bring Bellatrix down? He might not want to be the one to kill her because he's a kind-hearted person. It may very well be Narcissa that goes against Bellatrix! I personally hope that it's Neville, because he deserves his shot against the woman who took away his parents (they're still alive, but you know what I mean!).

You must defend leagues of men, women, and children, wizard and muggle, from his malice.
Old April 7th, 2007, 3:36 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

I hope they do have a final encounter! She deserves whatever he throws at her. However, I don't think he'd be able to kill her though, unless he finally shows us some power that he could've been hiding the past couple of years.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old April 7th, 2007, 3:42 am
Second Year

Neville wil own her up wit some intense herbology skillz

Devils snare right to the face Ouch!!

this is baby E signing off
Old April 7th, 2007, 3:45 am
Hogwarts Graduate

this way i can visualize it,having some herb onhis side,otherwise he gets too nervous.

Old April 7th, 2007, 3:45 am
First Year

Neville wants revenge on Ballatrix so bad he can taste it. In the fifth book, we hear about him going on a "learning spree" when he hears she has broken out of Azkaban. It will be a tough fight, but he might just surprise her (and have a little help) so that he gains the upper hand. In the end though, Neville is just not mean enough to kill her. They will probably just incapacitate her so she can't get away.

He spoiled DH, if you don't want to end up like him, DON'T SPOIL!!!
Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old April 7th, 2007, 3:48 am
Second Year

I thihnk the only way that Neville can beat her is if she acts scared while they are fighting. If she is confident then Neville will get scared and we know he can't do anything when he is scared. If Belletrix is visably scared however Neville will be confident that he is doing something right and will either kill her or imprison her or torture her

this is baby E signing off
Old April 7th, 2007, 3:53 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Neville wouldnt kill her,hes too nice,

Old April 7th, 2007, 4:39 am
Second Year

I think Neville has it in him to kill Bellatrix.

Old April 7th, 2007, 4:51 am
Second Year

I see Neville using a spell to push her down a pit of Devil's snare.

Old April 7th, 2007, 4:57 am
Second Year

I like all of these posts about Neville's aptitude for herbology (and I hope Bellatrix gets a full dose of Devil's Snare right in the face!), but I think there's more to Neville than plants. He held some serious ground in the battle in the Department of Mysteries in OOTP!

Old April 7th, 2007, 4:59 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Neville and Bellatrix--will those two have a final showdown? Is there any evidence in the existing books that may point to what lies ahead for these two integral characters in book seven???
YES!! These two WILL definitely have a final showdown and it will be fierce. Bellatrix can NOT let a chance to bully and belittle someone pass her by. Especially poor, clumsy, "I'm close to a squib", forgetful, "scardy pants" Neville Longbottom. This is how people other than his Friends regard him. Bellatrix taunted him when the Death Eaters were battling the Order in OOTP. As clumsy and forgetful Neville is, he is definitely NOT stupid. Besides Harry and Hermione, nobody's encouraged Neville to "go for it" and given him the gumption and desire to live up to his full potential. Even his Grandma reminded him how forgetful he is.
I think Bellatrix unintentionally and unknowingly gave Neville the kick in the butt he needed to stand up for himself. Especially when she mocked how his Mother and Father were tortured into insanity. She could probably have stood and mocked HIM and he would silently agree. When she mocked his PARENTS, little Neville tried to fight back. He's going to remember the rage he felt and finally have the guts to stand up to her.
The more Bellatrix mocks his Parents, the angrier he will become which will make him have the guts to hopefully bring her to her knees.
I so want Neville to GET Bellatrix and kill her, or at least mame her so SHE's in the "Hospital Wing" of Azkaban unable to get out. In short, I want Neville to get the justice he deserves. It will be a personal victory for him on so many levels. He will avenge his Parent's torture and insanity. It will give him that injection of courage and make him realize how smart and brave he really. It will also give him the courage to stand up to those who bully him. GO NEVILLE!!!

I TRUST Severus Snape!!!!
Old April 7th, 2007, 5:03 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie33 View Post
YES!! These two WILL definitely have a final showdown and it will be fierce. Bellatrix can NOT let a chance to bully and belittle someone pass her by. Especially poor, clumsy, "I'm close to a squib", forgetful, "scardy pants" Neville Longbottom. This is how people other than his Friends regard him. Bellatrix taunted him when the Death Eaters were battling the Order in OOTP. As clumsy and forgetful Neville is, he is definitely NOT stupid. Besides Harry and Hermione, nobody's encouraged Neville to "go for it" and given him the gumption and desire to live up to his full potential. Even his Grandma reminded him how forgetful he is.
I think Bellatrix unintentionally and unknowingly gave Neville the kick in the butt he needed to stand up for himself. Especially when she mocked how his Mother and Father were tortured into insanity. She could probably have stood and mocked HIM and he would silently agree. When she mocked his PARENTS, little Neville tried to fight back. He's going to remember the rage he felt and finally have the guts to stand up to her.
The more Bellatrix mocks his Parents, the angrier he will become which will make him have the guts to hopefully bring her to her knees.
I so want Neville to GET Bellatrix and kill her, or at least mame her so SHE's in the "Hospital Wing" of Azkaban unable to get out. In short, I want Neville to get the justice he deserves. It will be a personal victory for him on so many levels. He will avenge his Parent's torture and insanity. It will give him that injection of courage and make him realize how smart and brave he really. It will also give him the courage to stand up to those who bully him. GO NEVILLE!!!
You are [b]so right[/i]! I think that's precisely why Neville will have what it takes to give Bellatrix what's coming to her! He does have it in him to kill her because she put it there! Neville would've been only too submissive if it had just been an attack against him, but he wants his parents as much as Harry wants his. Bellatrix mocking the one thing Neville wants (a family) is the one thing that will make our favorite Herbologist a strong and vital warrior on the good side of this wizarding war!

Old April 7th, 2007, 5:24 am
First Year

Will Neville get a final showdown with Bellatrix? Oh, you better believe he will! Neville is capable of facing off with Bella and winning, in my opinion. Yet, I don't think he'll kill her, even though I'm sure he could. Honestly, the more I think about the less I think even Harry will outright kill anyone. It seems to against the message of the books. If they were to sink to killing, they would be no better than the Death Eaters. The choice to not kill, to keep their souls whole, is what sets Harry and Neville and everyone else apart from Voldemort and the Death Eaters. Revenge is not the message I think Jo is trying to send.

Which, of course, is not to say that I don't hope to see Neville beat up Bella a little in Deathly Hallows!

Trouble's just the bits in between! It's all waiting out there, Jackie. And it's brand new to me. All those planets, creatures and horizons...I haven't seen them yet. Not with these eyes. And it is going to be...fantastic! - The Doctor
Old April 7th, 2007, 5:32 am
Hogwarts Graduate

i agree revenge is not the message jo is sending,thats shy i dont think neville will get her like killing her.NO matter how angry ,he just couldnt ,hurt her ,inmovilize her ,well you made a point he might but not kill her that wuld be sending such a wrong mesage

Old April 7th, 2007, 6:14 am
First Year

I agree with Sunstar that Neville is capable of facing off with Bella. He is a Griffindor, so somewhere within himself he has the courage to face her. I think he might even win. But maybe that is just wishful thnking on my part; he has the will and the courage, but does he have the skill? I certainly hope so. As to whether or not he kills or uses the cruciatus curse on her, I don't think he will because I don't see him taking sadistic pleasure in torturing someone. I think he is too noble to inflict that pain on anyone, even someone he hates as much as Bella.

For what is life but reaching for answer?
And what is death but a refusal to grow?
~M. Oliver

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies