Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

The Bloody Baron

Old April 7th, 2007, 3:07 pm
Fifth Year

The Bloody Baron

We don't seem to know much about the Bloody Baron but a couple of things bother me.

He seems to be the only one (except Dumbledore) who has any control of Peeves.

None of the ghost will ask him about the blood on his shirt.

And the one thing that I wonder the most about. Why was he spending so much time on the Astronomy tower the night the death eaters entered Hogwarts?

Tarot Cards for Fun and Fortune Telling

Someone who spoiled Deathly Hallows

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2007, 5:16 pm
First Year

Re: The Bloody Baron

i don't even think DD has control over Peeves! considering peeves was making rhymes and singing silly songs about him.
I was just about to make a thread about this: 'why does the bloody baron have control over peeves' but i was just checking to see if there were any others..im quite surprised there aren't any replies..oh you posted it today lol ok anyway..

i don't think we have ever seen the bloody baron interact with anyone, although we can assume he has done or said something to Peeves, which has made him scared of BB. I think that is probably because humans cannot affect ghosts, but ghosts because they are of the same existance can affect each other, and thats why threats from wizards to peeves are empty, because they can never do anything that will cause him pain..etc, which must not be the case with the BB.

Harry: You can't give a Dementor the old one-two!

Harry: So light a fire!
Hermione: Yes...of course...but there's no wood!
Ron: HAVE YOU GONE MAD! ARE YOU A WITCH OR NOT!
Old April 7th, 2007, 5:21 pm
Second Year

I really want to know how he gotthe blood on his shirt!!! My theory is that it's unicorn blood, but then how did he die...

And one dead, lonely Voldemort

Old April 7th, 2007, 5:31 pm
Second Year

I, too, wonder about the Bloody Baron... he's definitely the most mysterious of the ghosts. Have we ever even heard him speak? I can't remember it if he has...

Quote:
I think that is probably because humans cannot affect ghosts, but ghosts because they are of the same existance can affect each other, and thats why threats from wizards to peeves are empty, because they can never do anything that will cause him pain..etc, which must not be the case with the BB.
This is a good idea, but we should remember that Peeves isn't actually a ghost: he's a poltergeist. So I don't know if that still works...

As for his bloodiness, I've always assumed that he'd killed someone - so he would literally have their blood on his hands - but there's never been any confirmation of that, so I could easily be wrong.

Lilkittikat, unicorn blood is an interesting idea, since it is described in the same way, but I don't see how that could work, because if he drank the unicorn blood, then he could have died and become a ghost; and if he didn't, then what would be the point of it? Unless he killed the unicorn, but then was killed himself before he could drink any of it...

and over our heads will float the Blue Bird, singing of beautiful and impossible things,
of things that are lovely and that never happen, of things that are not and that should be."
- Oscar Wilde, The Decay of Lying
Old April 7th, 2007, 5:33 pm
Second Year

I don't think its unicorn blood. Isn't unicorn blood a different color than red???

"You said once before, that there was a time to turn back if we wanted to. We've had time, haven't we?"
"We're with you whatever happens."

Join the ASA today and help prevent SPOILERS!.
Old April 7th, 2007, 5:41 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazeleyes View Post
I don't think its unicorn blood. Isn't unicorn blood a different color than red???
It's silvery, just as the Bloody Baron's blood was described. However, that could also be because all parts of the ghosts are silvery

and over our heads will float the Blue Bird, singing of beautiful and impossible things,
of things that are lovely and that never happen, of things that are not and that should be."
- Oscar Wilde, The Decay of Lying
Old April 7th, 2007, 5:46 pm
First Year

Yeah, all the ghosts seem to be terrified of him - it comes across that Nearly Headless Nick is anyway.
He could just be one of those characters who never really does anything, but has a bit of mystery surrounding him, or he could play a part in DH.
And about Peeves, do you think it possible that the Bloody Baron killed Peeves when they were both alive, and that's why he's scared of him?

Oh, and in what chapter does it say about the Bloody Baron in the Astronomy Tower? I can't find it.

proud gryffindor
Old April 7th, 2007, 7:19 pm
Third Year

Quote:
And the one thing that I wonder the most about. Why was he spending so much time on the Astronomy tower the night the death eaters entered Hogwarts?
Quote:
Oh, and in what chapter does it say about the Bloody Baron in the Astronomy Tower? I can't find it.
He wasn't on the astronomy tower the night Dumbledore died. He was mentioned by Nearly Headless NIck to be on the Astronomy Tower the night the Harry used the Felix Felicis potion to get the memory from Slughorn. I'm pretty sure he wasn't mentioned at all during the fight, or after.

Old April 7th, 2007, 7:52 pm
Fourth Year

I seem to recall that "clanking and groaning on the Astronomy tower" is considered pretty normal for him.

I wonder if it possible for ghosts to ally themselves with humans in any way. For instance, since Harry attended Nick's Deathday Party, would Nick ever do Harry a favor? So far, I don't think he has; he was unable even to help Harry understand death. And I don't think he can do anything physical, unlike Peeves, who can do physical things, either to be helpful or malicious. Ghosts don't seem to be helpful much, except with information, and even then, they seem rather self-centered about it. But Nick and Harry now have a special relationship.

Analogously, if the Bloody Baron was a bad guy in life, would he have sympathy with Voldemort's aims? Could Voldemort hold out any meaningful promises to him? For instance, a possible return to life? Clanking and groaning on the astromnomy tower could be a convenient cover for passing messages. And if he is able to boss Peeves, he could take physical actions through Peeves.

Old April 7th, 2007, 7:55 pm
First Year

Quote:
This is a good idea, but we should remember that Peeves isn't actually a ghost: he's a poltergeist
ahh lool my bad, i forgot

Quote:
do you think it possible that the Bloody Baron killed Peeves when they were both alive
Nope, because Peeves has never been alive, he was never human, he has always been a poltergeist, JK said on her website..sorry

Harry: You can't give a Dementor the old one-two!

Harry: So light a fire!
Hermione: Yes...of course...but there's no wood!
Ron: HAVE YOU GONE MAD! ARE YOU A WITCH OR NOT!
Old April 7th, 2007, 9:27 pm
Fifth Year

Nick seems to want to go get the Bloody Baron to make Peeves behave so I thought he was the only one who could.

I do think that Peeve would behave for Dumbledore. Dumbledore just doesn't go out of his way to force Peeves into anything.

I have really wondered why the Bloody Baron is spending so much time on the Astronomy tower. And as above I have wondered if he would join forces with Voldemort or maybe with allies of his at Hogwarts.

Old April 7th, 2007, 9:33 pm
First Year

Wow, i never really thought about that, he was in the Astronomy Tower that night. Do you think he was spying on Malfoy throughout this whole thing?

I think he controlled Peeves by fear alone.
D said once that what we fear most is the unknown and so little is known about the BB that it is natural to fear him.

"Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten."
--G. K. Chesterton

"It was," he thought, "the difference between being dragged into the arena to face a battle to the death and walking into the arena with your head held high. Some people, perhaps, would say that there was little to choose between the two ways, but Dumbledore knew - and so do I," thought Harry, with a rush of fierce pride, "and so did my parents - that there was all the difference in the world."

Snape is a Very Bad Man, But I Trust Snape to do the Right Thing in the End.
Old April 7th, 2007, 9:38 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitia pickleweed View Post

I wonder if it possible for ghosts to ally themselves with humans in any way. For instance, since Harry attended Nick's Deathday Party, would Nick ever do Harry a favor? So far, I don't think he has; he was unable even to help Harry understand death. And I don't think he can do anything physical, unlike Peeves, who can do physical things, either to be helpful or malicious. Ghosts don't seem to be helpful much, except with information, and even then, they seem rather self-centered about it. But Nick and Harry now have a special relationship.

I think Harry went to Nick's Deathday party because he was doing Nick a favor. Nick had gotten him out of trouble with Filch. It seems that ghosts and humans can do things for each other, though.

Old April 8th, 2007, 3:33 am
Fifth Year

Just another thought. There are 4 house ghosts. We know Griffendore and Nick and Slytherin as the Bloody Baron. But the other ghosts we don't know by name. (Fat Friar, The Gray Lady)

This being said JKR had given us alot of information about the Bloody Baron but not the Fat Friar or the Gray Lady. Just wondering if there was a reason.

Old April 8th, 2007, 3:51 am
Second Year

Is it at all possible that the Bloody Baron and Peeves lived in the same era of time and that Peeves was petrified of the Baron in life?

Old April 8th, 2007, 4:03 am
First Year

Quote:
i don't think we have ever seen the bloody baron interact with anyone, although we can assume he has done or said something to Peeves, which has made him scared of BB.
We haven't seen him interact with anyone, but according to Nearly Headless Nick, they spoke the night Harry got the memory from Slughorn.

Half Blood Prince, Chapter 23 page 493"I had it from the Bloody Baron, who saw him arrive," said Nick. "He appeared, according to the Baron, to be in good spirits, though a little tired, of course."

Anyways, I always got the impression that no one wanted to talk to him out of fear, or perhaps they were intimidated by him.

I read a theory a while ago about how the Bloody Baron could possibly be related to the Blacks. A connection was made between his pastime of groaning and clanking up on the astronomy tower and how the Blacks had a habit of naming their children after stars or constellations. I'm not sure how that would fit in, though.

"You'd better hurry up, they'll be waiting for 'the Chosen Captain'--
'The Boy Who Scored'-- whatever they call you these days."

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!
Old April 8th, 2007, 4:16 am
Fifth Year

Since the Bloody Baron is the Slytherin ghost, do you think we could expect him of being a pure blood when he was alive.\?

If so he very well could have been kin to the Blacks.

Old April 8th, 2007, 4:47 am
Second Year

Maybe the Bloody Baron is RAB? haha..i doubt it.

Um...I think that the Bloody Baron was murdered himself, because he did something to upset the Queen/King, since he's a Baron. Maybe he was plotting to kill someone, in order to be closer in the lineage of the throne, and was assasinated.

That's really unlikely, but I feel that there's more to his story then we've been told.

Old April 8th, 2007, 5:05 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by taupimu View Post
We don't seem to know much about the Bloody Baron but a couple of things bother me.

He seems to be the only one (except Dumbledore) who has any control of Peeves.

None of the ghost will ask him about the blood on his shirt.

He was around the Astronomy Tower the night the Death Eaters entered Hogwarts? I don't remember that, I think I'll have to check that out.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old April 8th, 2007, 5:13 am
First Year

Quote:
He was around the Astronomy Tower the night the Death Eaters entered Hogwarts? I don't remember that, I think I'll have to check that out.
He wasn't. He was around Astronomy Tower the night Harry got the memory from Slughorn. He was on his way to Dumbledore's office when he ran into Nearly Headless Nick, who said he heard it from the Bloody Baron that Dumbledore had returned.

"You'd better hurry up, they'll be waiting for 'the Chosen Captain'--
'The Boy Who Scored'-- whatever they call you these days."

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies