Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Will Harry go to Egypt?

Old January 3rd, 2007, 9:50 pm
Purveyor of Prophesy

Will Harry go to Egypt?

Will Harry go to Egypt?

One of the Weasley's, Bill, I think, is a curse breaker for Gringot's Wizard Bank in Egypt. The Pyramids have many curses and jinxes. And, most significantly is the origin of the word Horcrux.

It is thought that it is a combination of the name Horus (Egyptian God of the Skies, and son of Osiris """GOD OF THE DEAD"""") and perhaps just the word crux, which means "the whole point". The ancient Egyptians were obsessed with immortality. That is why they mummified their people. They wanted to make sure they made it to immortality and had their body to take with them.

Lord Voldemort likens himself to be a god. He has altered his body, and shredded his soul to make himself immortal. Since Egypt has been mentioned, the significance of Egyptian curses has been mentioned, and Volde wishes immortality it stands to reason that Egypt may be a destination in the next book.

Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2007, 9:55 pm
Third Year

Re: Will Harry go to Egypt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigdoctorbri View Post
Will Harry go to Egypt?

One of the Weasley's, Bill, I think, is a curse breaker for Gringot's Wizard Bank in Egypt. The Pyramids have many curses and jinxes. And, most significantly is the origin of the word Horcrux.

It is thought that it is a combination of the name Horus (Egyptian God of the Skies, and son of Osiris """GOD OF THE DEAD"""") and perhaps just the word crux, which means "the whole point". The ancient Egyptians were obsessed with immortality. That is why they mummified their people. They wanted to make sure they made it to immortality and had their body to take with them.

Lord Voldemort likens himself to be a god. He has altered his body, and shredded his soul to make himself immortal. Since Egypt has been mentioned, the significance of Egyptian curses has been mentioned, and Volde wishes immortality it stands to reason that Egypt may be a destination in the next book.
Interesting theory...I did not know that about the word Horcrux. It seems like that is possible, but JKR may have stumbled upon that by accident. If Harry goes abroad, I think Romania is a more likely. Egypt is definitely possible, though.

Old January 3rd, 2007, 9:56 pm
First Year

I think Egypt is unlikely, seeing as there probably isn't a horcrux there. Voldemort likes to keep his things in places near home and seeped in significance. The only point would be something Bill related.

Old January 3rd, 2007, 10:04 pm
First Year

Also, Bill doesn't work in Egypt anymore. He asked for a desk job so that he could be more involved in the Order (and to help Fleur with her English) so there's really no reason for Harry go to Egypt.

"I love those moments; I like to wave at them as they pass by."
Old January 3rd, 2007, 10:07 pm
Student

I don't think he'll go to Egypt either. I don't think that Voldemort would put a horcrux so far away, and I don't see any real reason for Harry to go.

Old January 3rd, 2007, 10:13 pm
Second Year

There really wouldnt be too much of a point, seeing as 1, bill isnt in egypt, 2, the (possible) horcruxes we've seen were all relatively close to home.

Old January 3rd, 2007, 10:19 pm
Purveyor of Prophesy

I see your points, but I think that if indeed the origin of the word Horcrux is Egyptian, then the knowledge of how to create, and thus destroy one would be found there. This alone would make it worthwhile taking the trip.

Broomsticks or apparating, anyone?

Old January 3rd, 2007, 11:31 pm
Second Year

I agree that she may have gotten the idea from the Ancient Eygptians, but he has Bill so I don't see the point of him going there himself. I don't see Harry leaving England at all in Book 7.

Old January 3rd, 2007, 11:35 pm
Fourth Year

I think Harry will stay in Great Britian.

What the...?
Old January 3rd, 2007, 11:41 pm
First Year

Well, it is a funny theory, but I doubt it. Rowling has enough to write about as it is, without kicking Harry of to Egypt four a chapter or two, so... doubt it...

Old January 3rd, 2007, 11:49 pm
Purveyor of Prophesy

Why not? She has done so much research into myths, and their origins, we are clear than Harry will likely return to Hogwarts perhaps only briefly, but not as a student, and he and his friends have learned to apparate, which means a trip to Egypt could be near-instantaneous. In HBP we see Harry adventuring somewhere other than the Dursley's neighborhood, Hogwarts, The Ministry, or Hogsmead for the first time, when he went to the cave with Dumbledore. We also, know that the wizarding world extends well beyond the borders of The United Kingdom.

Perhaps for a nice plot twist, why not some place steeped in mystical wonder. Egypt is the epitome of strange mystical places. Many people to this date think that the pyramids were created by some kind of strange force, be it little green men (aliens, or perhaps, Goblins?), or they had their own brand of magic that is not fully understood. Horcruxes are hardly understood, even by someone so worldly and wise as Dumbledore.

Old January 4th, 2007, 12:11 am
Fourth Year

I don't know if there is a limit to the range of Apparating, or if it's possible to Apparate to somewhere you haven't been, sort of like the ability of Night Crawler in X-Men.

Also, while I'm sure JK Rowling will give us new settings in Deathly Hallows, I don't think she'll send Harry to a different part of the world like Egypt. The books have centered around England and Scotland, and I think she'll keep Harry there.

What the...?
Old January 4th, 2007, 12:14 am
Third Year

Still, I think (since Egypt has been mentioned more than once in the septology) that it might become important in DH. I don't know if there'll be a Horcrux there, however (it's too random).

^
|

Finally, my two loves come together *sigh*

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!
Old January 4th, 2007, 12:17 am
Second Year

No I do not think he will. I think he will stay near home. He will be starting out from Hogwarts. But that is what I think.

Old January 4th, 2007, 12:18 am
First Year

Well, what would be the point of sending him to Egypt, if LV is in England? It makes no sense, just like that thread about Harry going to Romania.

However, having international wizards poping into and out of the book I think will happen, and there is undoubtedly going to be someone coming from Egypt.

Old January 4th, 2007, 2:49 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryhugger View Post
Still, I think (since Egypt has been mentioned more than once in the septology) that it might become important in DH. I don't know if there'll be a Horcrux there, however (it's too random).
Egypt has been mentioned a couple of times, but Romania has been mentioned in nearly every book. Therefore, I think it likely that Romania stands a greater chance of playing a part in DH than Egypt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Spaniard View Post
Well, what would be the point of sending him to Egypt, if LV is in England? It makes no sense, just like that thread about Harry going to Romania.

However, having international wizards poping into and out of the book I think will happen, and there is undoubtedly going to be someone coming from Egypt.
Because Harry is not going after Voldemort first, he had to distroy the horcruxes before he looks for Voldemort. We know that Voldemort travelled abroad, so why can he not have a horcrux in a different country? What doesn't make sense is to say that something isn't possible in a book where all things are possible, no matter how likely or unlikely something may be. The one thing that is true about a Harry Potter book is that a reader is well founded in expecting the unexpected.

Old January 4th, 2007, 4:57 am
Purveyor of Prophesy

However, having international wizards poping into and out of the book I think will happen, and there is undoubtedly going to be someone coming from Egypt

He spent time in several known countries...Romania and Albania after losing his powers; and after he graduated from Hogwarts until he came back for a job he traveled extensively.

Old January 4th, 2007, 6:31 am
First Year

i wish harry would come to america or canada for hiding...unlikely....

Old January 4th, 2007, 6:53 am
First Year

I would have to slap JK if she made Harry go to Egypt. That particular country is overused in Literature.

Old January 4th, 2007, 7:11 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigdoctorbri View Post
Will Harry go to Egypt?

There used to be a thread a long time ago, asking the same question.

I don't think Harry will leave England, though I believe Egyptian symbols and mythology are on JKR's mind.

You might want to read my older thread "Egyptian Mythology, Dig In" :
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread....thology+dig+in

I have some interesting links and information in the first post.

"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie

Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies