Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Old March 23rd, 2012, 6:52 am
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

The Killers (1946) - 7/10

Though it is rather dated--well, classic--I think this film had a pretty entertaining premise (expansion on an explicitly open-ended Hemingway short story). Being from the 40s there is a lot to be desired about the depiction of gender roles, and the plot is fairly contrived from film noir conventions. But, it is equally suspenseful and intriguing despite its familiar format. Not bad. (ETA: I would also add that it significantly de-emphasizes the presumptive inherent racism of the local culture compared to the short story. Maybe Hemingway was being honest and the filmmakers were being marketable.)

Croupier (1998) - 7/10

I'm pretty sure this was the movie, or one of them, that made Clive Owen a household name. It's somewhat bizarre, to be honest, not that this disqualifies it from being great. The plot is involved, but really only works itself back into the status quo. The real essence of it is the characterization, which is reminiscent of, but ultimately a frustration of film noir expectations. I guess that's what neo-noir is all about.

Last edited by canismajoris; March 23rd, 2012 at 6:54 am.
Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2012, 9:38 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

We Need to Talk About Kevin - 8/10 - Tilda Swinton can act. Nerve-wrecking performance. My heart was pounding in my throat towards the end of this agonizing film.

Old March 23rd, 2012, 3:09 pm
BANNED... No really they are...

The Hunger Games---8/10.

My expectations were extremely high for this movie. It disappointed me in some parts and made me soooo happy in others. Book adaptations are so tricky sometimes, but as a genre all its own, this movie ROCKED!!! Great action, really liked the emotional side shown, and Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, and Jennifer Lawrence were truly great!

ETA: Meh. Because I am entitled to change and revise my opinion, I am doing just that. I thought about it and I'm a lot more disappointed with the movie than I thought. I read the books and now that I've had a couple of days to re-evaluate the movie, I am changing my rating to 6/10. The movie was still good and the acting much better than I thought, but the movie did leave a lot of character development out that made the books a lot more emotional than the movie was.

ALL HAIL THE PIXIE QUEEN TINKIE!!
Mave, RN.
Winner of Happiest Hoggie Award (2011).

Last edited by MHPFAN; March 26th, 2012 at 11:19 pm. Reason: Rating changing time!!
Old March 23rd, 2012, 7:52 pm
First Year

In an effort to gear up for the Avengers coming out in May....we watched Iron Man 2 last night (we watched IM 1 last week). It was excellent (as always). I'd give it an 8/10.

Old March 24th, 2012, 4:41 am
Fourth Year

The Hunger Games 9.5/10 I really don't have many complaints. It was practically perfect in my eyes. I can't say I was disappointed in anything. Everything they left out of the movie seemed reasonable. There was only a few parts where I thought there could of been a little more in the scene. The acting and score were amazing. But anyways, I loved it! (If you didn't already figure that out. )

Old March 24th, 2012, 2:24 pm

The Hunger Games - 5/10 - my review is in the film's thread.

Old March 24th, 2012, 9:14 pm
Second Year

Lets see:

The Woman in Black - 8/10
Open your eyes - 7/10
Ghost in the Shell - 7/10
Pan's Labyrinth - 10/10
The Devil's Backbone - 9/10
Aladdin - 10/10
The Hunger Games - 8/10

I've been watching a lot of films

Old March 25th, 2012, 8:18 am
Secret Keeper

The Hunger Games

Acting- 10
Script- 10
Visuals- 8.5
Sound- 10
Editing- 9.5

Score = 96

Verdict- I know this might be a knee jerk reaction but...The Hunger Games is my new favorite film of the decade!!!

And for those of you that have not yet read the book or seen this fantastic movie I'll put the rest of my thoughts in spoiler tags...

Spoiler: show
It was fantastic. Pitch perfect acting, real hard hitting emotion with not a single cheesy moment, and some really great adapation choices. The only flaws have all already been mentioned. The shaky cam I was so concerned about was really effective at times and completely inappropriate at others (like before the games start) Also on the visual side of things for a film that is going to rake in so much dough some of the special effects could have been better. Oh, and yes, of course some things in the novel were left out but I think the film would have dragged if they had focused too much on life in the districts and not condensed the games and romance a bit (though the romantic in me would have been just fine with more of Katniss/Peeta! ) On the other hand, as I said there was some really great adaption decisions that fleshed out the novel in certain ways and made the film work even though it wasn't all first person pov like the novel was. Also quite frankly I think a lot of scenes play out better on screen then they read. For instance the feast at the Cornucopia and the final showdown with the mutated mutts in which Cato even displays a hint of some underlying humanity. And the ending didn't outrage me like the book; just pumped for the inevitable uprising to come! Oh yeah, and the old fart Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences better take notice!

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; March 25th, 2012 at 8:53 am.
Old March 25th, 2012, 7:35 pm
Curse Breaker

The Hunger Games: 9/10. Despite the ad urging me to blow up my TV before the film, I eagerly await the BluRay: I really want to see it again!

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.” - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Old March 26th, 2012, 11:44 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Who Killed the Electric Car -- 8/10

A good documentary about the demise of the electric car, and who/whom committed said crime. It's worth the watch, and it's pretty insightful.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

Looking forward to seeing Mulder and Scully again in the new X Files episodes!

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!
Old March 28th, 2012, 12:56 pm
Secret Keeper

X-Men: First Class

Acting- 8
Script- 8.5
Visuals- 9
Sound- 8.5
Editing- 8.5

Total Score = 85

Verdict- Being only my 2nd experience of the X-Men Franchise (with the other being the awful Origins: Wolverine) I was quite impressed. I think it could've benefited from more Jennifer Lawrence and less Kevin Bacon (miscast, should've been Chrisoph Waltz instead) though

Old March 28th, 2012, 11:38 pm

Vampires Suck -- 7/10

This film was worth the watch in terms of having me laugh out loud in parts. Not the funniest one I've seen in years, but overall, still worth it . The gag reel in particular was good (and non bleeped out ).

It's an ok take off of the Twilight franchise and it pokes fun at almost everything supernatural or vampire related.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Old March 29th, 2012, 12:28 am
First Year

The Hunger Games: 8/10

I wish the Mutant dogs were scarier though, not how I imagined them. I also thought Haymitch looked a little too young. Overall I enjoyed it and would see it again. I loved the acting though! Jennifer, Josh, Elizabeth, Lenny, the actor playing Haymitch, and the actress played by Rue and Clove were spot on. I saw a Borzoi in the movie (The type of dog I have and freaked out.) I also wish they left Madge in the movie for the Mockingjay pin bit.

Old March 29th, 2012, 10:44 pm
Eldest Gruff

The Artist

9,5/10

Finally came around to watch this film. Ah, that's a smart idea (or quite a few of them actually), but a risky one as well. Showing the end of silent picture, but combining it with the fascination of silent picture and actually looking at things - for a 2011/12 high speed media used auditorium - is some brilliant call. I'm glad the film got the attention it deserve.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old March 30th, 2012, 5:05 pm
Second Year

Hugo- 7/10
Gorgeous movie: the lighting, the art design, the costumes, the makeup, and the score were all brilliant... sort of in-your-face and subtle at the same time. The story was good. The script was okay, although the dialogue was at times a bit awkward and the film seemed to drag in quite a few places. To me, there wasn't enough in the plot to really flesh it out. The acting was excellent, and Asa Butterfield (?) is one to watch out for as he gets older, I think.

--
"Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic."
Old March 30th, 2012, 11:16 pm
BANNED... No really they are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
Vampires Suck -- 7/10

This film was worth the watch in terms of having me laugh out loud in parts. Not the funniest one I've seen in years, but overall, still worth it . The gag reel in particular was good (and non bleeped out ).

It's an ok take off of the Twilight franchise and it pokes fun at almost everything supernatural or vampire related.
One of my favorite parody-movies ever! I found it a lot funnier than I thought it would be, though it had its dumb parts . 8/10!

ALL HAIL THE PIXIE QUEEN TINKIE!!
Mave, RN.
Winner of Happiest Hoggie Award (2011).
Old March 31st, 2012, 3:11 pm

The First Wives Club - 9/10 - this is the best feel-good film for me.

Old March 31st, 2012, 3:39 pm
Second Year

I just saw The Hunger Games and would rate it quite good, but not great...maybe four out of five stars. It did make me cry at one point, which is pretty hard to do at the movies. I thought it seemed a bit rushed, like they tried to cram too much into the time alloted, but at least it didn't drag on. The ending definitely screamed sequel but in a tv mini-series sort of a way, not a movie way.

Old March 31st, 2012, 8:05 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelkinCooper View Post
The ending definitely screamed sequel but in a tv mini-series sort of a way, not a movie way.
Good, cause it is an adaptation of the first book of a book series and they have already signed on to do the whole series I believe...and as such I consider "sequel" to be a bit of a misnomer. I mean that'd be like calling Chamber of Secrets a sequel, then Prisoner of Azkaban a threequel, and so on. It just doesn't feel right for book to screen adaptations where the series and its story have already been established.

Last edited by lcbaseball22; March 31st, 2012 at 8:07 pm.
Old April 1st, 2012, 7:26 pm

Sicko -- 8/10

Finally got the chance to watch this health care documentary by Michael Moore and it was worth watching. It literally made me feel ashamed to be an American. All of the terrible things that both the health insurance companies and the pharmaceutical industry do just made me sick to my stomach.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion