Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

South Park

Old March 20th, 2008, 4:45 am
Second Year

South Park

OK, I love South Park. I think the guys that created it are genius. They're not afraid of anything.

For example, the episode where terrorists wanted to invade the kids dreams in order to blow up the wall between imagination and reality. And then the Pentagon came in because they had to stop the terrorists, otherwise, *our imaginations will run wild!* That's totally hysterical and imaginative. If Hemingway wrote something like that he'd be praised for his genius.

Another thing is their movie "Team America World Police," which is a great satire of action movies and the war on terror. It's also the funniest movie I've ever seen in my life (no kidding!) and absolutely vulgar and not for kids!

Then tonight, first they showed last year's Mohammed episode, which was really perceptive social commentary hidden inside the swear words and all that.

Then, there was the new episode about Britney Spears. Dude. This was totally disgusting. I could hardly watch it.

The interesting thing, I suppose, was that the whole episode was about how the public and the media's obsession with Britney was ruining her life and how our obsession with watching people like her destroy themselves is no different than human sacrifice rituals in ancient societies. Then they had Britney try to kill herself by blowing her head off and walk around the whole episode with half her head blown off until she finally died in the end as part of a human sacrifice ritual with paparazzi and everything. The image of Britney walking around was so disgusting it kind of made me want to vomit.

I suppose what they're trying to say is that we should be as grossed out by watching Britney destroy herself as I was at seeing her walk around with half her head blown off tonight. Fine.

But, come on, it was gross and totally not funny at all. It was the first time I didn't laugh during a S.P. episode. Crossed the line man. And I can really put up with a lot.

And of course, they were doing what they criticise us for doing. If I were her and I saw this episode, it might push me over the edge man.

Ugh. Gross. Thumbs Down!

tb

Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2008, 3:11 pm
Knower of things

Re: South Park

I must admit to finding South Park quite funny but it does tend to go a little over the top at times.

I just read yesterday that they're going to be parodying Britney Spears on it soon, it really was only a matter of time!

Old March 20th, 2008, 3:29 pm
Second Year

even for south park, the britney spears episode was totally over the top. totally disgusting. they went too far this time because the episode wasn't funny at all. just gross, disturbing, and unwatchable! it reminds me of that episode of the x-files that was soooo over the top it's never going to be aired again. ever.

Old March 20th, 2008, 6:03 pm
Knower of things

I didn't realise the episode had aired already, I thought it was in the works.

Ok well it sounds like it's one for me to avoid, I think at the start South Park was hilarious but I think it's become a little too easy for the creators to use the lives of celebrities as material all the time. I'd like to see more creativity on their part.

Old March 20th, 2008, 6:09 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

I do find a lot of South Park episodes funny, but sometimes I am a bit shocked by what happens or what they say. I love the episode with the World of Warcraft episode so much. Hilarious!

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old March 27th, 2008, 6:08 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

I was just saying the other day to a friend that I'm impressed about how long South Park has been on the air, and how it is still current and funny.

I think the Britney Spears one was as disgusting as how she is obsessively followed in real life - all the leaches making money off of her, all the 'fans' who love her, those that hate her - those that want to see her collapse upon herself like a dying star - it's all just sick. I think the episode portrayed that perfectly.

The attack on the imagination mini-series - that was so brilliant. I was so disappointed when I saw the first one (by chance, flipping channels) and then it ended abruptly to be continued! Then I actually planned to see the second part, and then again, to be continued! I couldn't believe how they were playing with us. But it was all worth it.

World of Warcraft episode was great too - again, true and funny. That's what those guys are good at - nothing is sacred.

Old March 29th, 2008, 2:54 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonyMagic View Post
I do find a lot of South Park episodes funny, but sometimes I am a bit shocked by what happens or what they say. I love the episode with the World of Warcraft episode so much. Hilarious!
hahaha I know the episode youre talking about. Absolutely hilarious. And its so true! But i have to say my favorite episode is the one where kyle, cartman, stan, and kenny go to baghdad and meet Jesus and try to save christmas. Classic. Yea the show is over the top often times, but they're risk takers and most of the time it turns out to be pretty freakin funny.

Old April 2nd, 2008, 4:53 pm
First Year

My favorite episode is when Cartman locks hippies up in his basement, they then escape and try to put a concert. Funny stuff.

Old April 2nd, 2008, 7:00 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

I only watched one episode of South Park. It was ok, but I'm certainly no fan of the show. Too much gross-out humor and that kind of thing for my taste.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old April 9th, 2008, 3:41 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

I have to say that some of the new ones this season are pretty good - or, they touch on some good topics. Given the comments and social criticism they touch on are very surface level, you still don't see any other show even going near those topics.

I thought Canada on Strike, which had some good plays on the WGA writer's strike, had some interesting points. What did the writers give up for what they ended up getting out of the deal?

And Tonsil Trouble was good in that it pointed out that AIDS as a horrifying disease has taken a back seat to other diseases because it is now containable and made chronic - where as Cancer, even though has been around for ever, has no good cure. Just the comment that AIDS is so yesterday and Cancer is the now - was interesting. Because it's true. AIDS is still everywhere but you don't see the red ribbons any more. They've been replaced by pink ones. And Cancer has become much more marketable than AIDS ever was - all the pink merchandise that is out there shows that.

Anyway, I know the writers of South Park don't intend to make deep social commentary, but they are good at pointing out some of the horrible parts of human nature.

Old April 10th, 2008, 1:24 am
First Year

New tonight, Cartman becomes a substitute teacher. Should be good.

Old April 11th, 2008, 12:56 am
Third Year

I Reached Deez Keedz

All opinions in the above post are the personal opinions of HouseStark, unless they are quoted from another source. Any and all views in the above post are purely opinion, unless they can be verified by scientific data or historical record.
Old April 12th, 2008, 5:07 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheseDays View Post
My favorite episode is when Cartman locks hippies up in his basement, they then escape and try to put a concert. Funny stuff.
yea i like this one too

I don't really watch though

for other hockey team supporters:
its too late to apologize... but its not to late to flamitize!
I'VE GOT A C FLAMING ON MY CHEST!

Proud member of GSWIA! (Guys Sound Wow with an Irish Accent!)

Snape always had a reason

http://www.calgary-city-maps.com/images/CalgaryFlames.gif
Old May 8th, 2008, 1:32 pm
Sixth Year

I love South Park. One of my favorite episodes is when Cartman is the cop. That one is totally hilarious. I also like the new stuff they've put out, though now they've been airing reruns at nine. I can't wait for the new season!

Cartman rules!

Old May 9th, 2008, 12:28 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
One of my favorite episodes is when Cartman is the cop.
You will respect my authoritah!

Old August 25th, 2008, 6:36 pm
First Year

What is with south park these days ? Super Fun Time has been the newest episode for ages, when are they going to release a new one...

Old September 21st, 2008, 10:03 pm
Banned

Didn't Kenny used to always die in the show. What happened later, after one time he died and he died for ever and they used Butters as the new friend. Then Kenny came back to life.

1. Why did they stop with the killing Kenny thing?
2. Why did they take Kenny out of the show?
3. Why did they bring him back. Did he come back to life?
4. Why are they always eight years old even when they go to fourth grade?
5. Will there be a South Part Fifth Grade?

Old September 22nd, 2008, 1:20 am
Qvack...

I always watched this show, but I never did like it all that much. It just used be on tv late at night when I'd come home from being out with my friends. I just.. never thought it was that funny. If you want humor like that, go for Family Guy or something. It never ever suited me.

Having said that... Kenny I loved! And Butters was the cutest thing ever!

I don't know why they stopped killing Kenny. Perhaps it just plain got old? And same for taking him out. They probably brought him back because missed him, and I always thought they had turned nine at some stage or another, but I might be way wrong there. I doubt there'll be a fifth grade. It's sort of like the Simspons. Never moves on!

THE DUCK.

Old September 22nd, 2008, 1:35 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiricduck View Post
I always watched this show, but I never did like it all that much. It just used be on tv late at night when I'd come home from being out with my friends. I just.. never thought it was that funny. If you want humor like that, go for Family Guy or something. It never ever suited me.

Having said that... Kenny I loved! And Butters was the cutest thing ever!

I don't know why they stopped killing Kenny. Perhaps it just plain got old? And same for taking him out. They probably brought him back because missed him, and I always thought they had turned nine at some stage or another, but I might be way wrong there. I doubt there'll be a fifth grade. It's sort of like the Simspons. Never moves on!
Simpsons never moves on, but King of the Hill does. When the show first starts Bobby is ten and in grade five, but now he is 13 and in grade 7. They moved one year in South Park they used to be in grade 3 now they are in grade 4. Kyle said that he was nine in one episode but in a later one he is eight again.

Old September 24th, 2008, 7:20 pm
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1998 View Post
Simpsons never moves on, but King of the Hill does. When the show first starts Bobby is ten and in grade five, but now he is 13 and in grade 7. They moved one year in South Park they used to be in grade 3 now they are in grade 4. Kyle said that he was nine in one episode but in a later one he is eight again.
That's what I thought too- that one day we were told he was nine and then a few episodes later he was eight again. I suppose it doesn't much matter, because the show was never meant to be about growing up, but about horrible ids,

THE DUCK.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television