Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

How, when and at what age did you first read Harry Potter? v.3

Old September 17th, 2007, 1:16 pm
Second Year

How, when and at what age did you first read Harry Potter? v.3

When did you first heard of Harry Potter? How old were you when you heard of it? I'll start first:

I first heard of Harry when I was 11 and I went to see The Planet of the Apes. Before the movie started there was the trailer of Harry Potter and SS. That's when I was wondering what was that all about. Almost a month later I went with my dad and saw it. It was before Christmas and as presents I got Book 2 & 3. I started reading 3, because I thought that there were different stories about Harry. Anyway, that year, in 2002 in June, I received the fourth book, and I immediatley started reading it. By that time I was already a fan. It took me about 2 months to finish it. When I went to see Scooby Doo the movie, I saw the trailer of COS and then it was the moment when I self confessed that Harry Potter was a part of my life from now on.

Sponsored Links
Old September 18th, 2007, 11:22 am
First Year

Re: How, when and at what age did you first read Harry Potter? v.3

I had seen the first movie when I was seven, I fell in love with it.
I hadn't read any of the books when the second movie came out.
I started reading the third book, before the movie came out.
I finished it in a week.
I have since read all the books, I only read the first book last year! haha

|MURDERDOF|
Old September 18th, 2007, 12:43 pm
First Year

It was about 6 years ago when one of my kids brought home the first two books, so i decided to read them to see what all the fuss was about, and i thought "wow these are fab" so i rushed out to buy all the books i could get my hands on , and have been obsessed ever since. :0

Old September 18th, 2007, 3:18 pm
Seventh Year

Well I was about ten years when I started the series and now I am nearly twenty... Wow I have been a HP freak for more than half my life

The best-looking, most rebellious, most dangerous of the four marauders...
Old September 18th, 2007, 3:31 pm
Animaga terpsichore

I was in 7th grade (i think i was 12?) and I was in english class with my friend friend Katie. We were writing notes back and forth to each other. I saw that she had the 4th book on her desk and asked if I could see it. By the end of class I was on the 4th chapter. I loved it.

Keep On Dancing Til The World Ends
Old September 18th, 2007, 3:31 pm
Second Year

about six or seven weeks ago, lol, no seriously.

ummm, ok, here's the whole story....
When SS came out in the theatres I was in college and I had a few friends who had read some of the books and so they were like you have to go with us and I was like ok, whatever and I went. I enjoyed it, it was cute and all and that was the last I thought about anything Harry Potter really until this summer. None of the other movie preview or anything had caught my eye.

Sooo, the preview for OotP comes out and I'm like wow that looks good, things look like they're getting darker and all the characters are more grown up, I think I would like to see this one, sooooo, I had another friend who I knew to be a huge Harry Potter fan (she's around 30, married with a child) so I knew I needed to at least watch all the movies to get semi-caught up to watch this movie, she let me borrow the first four movies and I watched them all in one week and then went to see the movie and LOVED it (I've now seen it like four times for various reasons).

After seeing the fifth movie and having watched the others to get caught up I was like, ok, I want to know more, I want to know all the details that aren't in the movies, I had a hankering of an idea that Hermione liked Ron (and wanted to know if this was playing out in the books) and just in general was hooked. So that evening (a Sunday night) I went and bought the first book (which this happened to be the same weekend that Deathly Hallows was released) and In like five weeks I had read the whole series and now I'm like totally hooked, hate that I haven't been in on all of this fun for a much longer time and I'm totally excited to see HBP because I think it might be my favorite book,

so there you have it, I'm a new convert, lol

(ohh and it's official that I'm hooked I just got my tie yesterday that I ordered I'm dressing up as a Hogwarts student for Halloween)

"It's like crack" - Jason Isaacs refering to the addictiveness of Harry Potter

Gryffindor! -be sorted @ nimbo.net
Old September 18th, 2007, 4:07 pm
First Year

i got the first book not long after it came out.
that was,what,10 years ago? so i would have been 13/14 (can't remember which month it was!)
i was going through a bookshop looking for a good book,because i can get bored very easily i read!
it was in the 'new releases' section.i picked it up,flicked through some of the pages and decided to get it as i thought it looked good.
little did i realise that i would get obssesed with it,and still be obssesed 10 years later!
whenever a new book came out i would get it in the first week,and go to see the movies as soon as possible to,dragging whoever along with me.

Sirius: "Be quiet yourself, Remus!"
Snape: "Listen to you two, quarrelling like an old married couple"
Old September 19th, 2007, 8:10 pm
Third Year

Oh...it must have been when I was in Grade 3 or 4, I think I was 8 or 9 when I fisrt read Goblet Of Fire, and yes I read that one first, but I realised it wasn't the first, then I read PS, and so on.

Old September 19th, 2007, 8:26 pm

Eighth grade, a friend brought in COS and recommended it to me, so I read it.

Went back and read PH and POA, then GOF came out that summer. Then waited three years for OOTP

Old September 19th, 2007, 8:33 pm
Second Year

About 5 years when I was about 8ish and would read everything I could get my hands on and my mum gave me them to read on the off chance with a heap of other books so I read the first 3 in one night and was hooked.

Old September 19th, 2007, 10:23 pm
Second Year

Well this story's rather confusing. I was first given PS/SS by my grandma in 4th grade (so i was 9/10) and I started reading it but didn't really like it. Then in the beginning of 5th grade I got CoS and read it and loved it. My class read PS/SS, CoS, and PoA in class so I got a chance to read the first one again and now I love it.

Hi, I'm Dannie. I dance, sing, and act. I love Harry Potter. I like using words like glorious, amazing, phenomenal, gorgeous, and beautiful.
"There was a clatter as the basilisk fangs cascaded out of Hermione's arms. Running at Ron, she flung them around his neck and kissed him full on the mouth. Ron threw away the fangs and broomstick he was holding and responded with such enthusiasm that he lifted Hermione off her feet." Took them long enough...
My Photography
Old September 19th, 2007, 10:56 pm
Sixth Year

About 9 years ago when i was 6. My stepfather would read me and my stepbrother parts of CoS. Though i am sure i had no clue what was really goin on. But i do remember being captured by that world, and ever since, i've been reading HP.

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old September 19th, 2007, 11:18 pm
Second Year

I was 8 years old, and in 3rd grade. I saw trailers for the first movie, and then my AG class started reading it. I remember clearly I was sitting in my room, on my bed, reading chapter 4 of SS when my mom came in and asked me if i wanted to go to the theater and see the movie since it had just came out the day before(so I guess November 17th, 2001 wow) and I told her no since I wasn't done reading the book. Well not long after that I just had to see the movie, and I wasn't done reading the book! I then read the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th books since the 5th one wasn't out yet. So now I'm 14, it's been a good 6 years of Potter and I'm ready for more! The fandom doesn't have to end yet!

deacs rock.
Old September 19th, 2007, 11:24 pm
Defender of Dogs

I was about eight years old, I think. I didn't really get into the series until OotP came out. Then I realized that this was something special.

Old September 20th, 2007, 3:29 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliette View Post
about six or seven weeks ago, lol, no seriously.
After seeing the fifth movie and having watched the others to get caught up I was like, ok, I want to know more, I want to know all the details that aren't in the movies, I had a hankering of an idea that Hermione liked Ron (and wanted to know if this was playing out in the books) and just in general was hooked. So that evening (a Sunday night) I went and bought the first book (which this happened to be the same weekend that Deathly Hallows was released) and In like five weeks I had read the whole series and now I'm like totally hooked, hate that I haven't been in on all of this fun for a much longer time and I'm totally excited to see HBP because I think it might be my favorite book,

so there you have it, I'm a new convert, lol

(ohh and it's official that I'm hooked I just got my tie yesterday that I ordered I'm dressing up as a Hogwarts student for Halloween)
That so awesome, I'm glad you're a new convert! Welcome to the HP fandom!
I also started reading the HP books because I liked the movies so much. I saw the first 3 movies when I was in college, and finally read the 5 books in 2004 when I was a senior in college. The rest is history! I'm obsessed, and I wish I had started reading sooner!

"What was there to be gained by fighting the most evil wizard who has ever existed?
Only innocent lives, Peter."
~Sirius Black
Old September 21st, 2007, 10:28 am
Seventh Year

I was about 9-10 when my teacher first read PS to my class. But it wasn't until I read PoA a couple years later that I really fell in love with the series.

Old September 21st, 2007, 10:49 am
Fifth Year

I first read the books in 2003. I was reading to my children. I was 30

Old September 29th, 2007, 4:13 am
Second Year

i started hearing about HP book on my last year in highschool but i never paid much attention to it as i was more excited about the rumours of the movie coming up. the first movie, sorcerer's stone, was shown when i was 18 and in my freshman year in college. after watching the movie i went to check out SS in our college library (good thing they have it!!) and before i knew it i was so hooked with HP books, was spending every break i have holed up in the library, read 1-3 HP books in the library before i convince myself i have to buy my own set so that i can have the luxury of reading at the comforts of my ownbedroom...

are proud to present
The Marauders Map

The Prisoner and The Professor, A Partnership Cut Short, Auburn Pride and a Chaser's PersuationJust Friends-J/L 6th year, A History of Magic
Teddy Lupin and the Legacy of the Marauders
Old September 29th, 2007, 6:04 am
Too... Much... Fangirling...

I heard about it when I was 8/9 and decided to try to read it, but didn't like it. I was kind of forced to go to the movie, but the next day, I bought CoS.

Old September 29th, 2007, 6:12 pm
First Year

I was 7 and at the time I was into reading everything I could, but I was getting tired of the typical "first chapter books" you read at that age. My neighbour was reading HP so I got the first one out of the library. I didn't make it all the way through the book (which I'm still ashamed of).

Anyway a couple of months later I was in Grade 3 and my teacher started reading PS to our class. I started liking it more and I bought it from the school book order, loved it, bought the next two and loved them, and by that summer GoF had come out, and years later I still keep my first copy of PS on a special little shelf in my room.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak