Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Flourish and Blotts

Seeing Other People

Old August 11th, 2011, 10:15 pm
Third Year

Re: Seeing Other People

A short, pensive chapter.

Chapter 19 - At Night

The day had been long. Rose had fallen asleep under a cloudy sky and awoke having not seen a single star. But it had been dark. Every time her eyes opened the sky refused to lighten, until she began to doubt that the sun had ever existed at all. She did not long dwell on this thought before collapsing again into uneasy sleep.

At 5 am, having woken for the tenth time, and still seeing only a pale glimmer over the distant hills, she resolved that sleep was not her friend tonight, and relented. For 20 minutes straight she did not move, but sat there, her ruffled, reddish-brown hair - looking so accustomed to movement - mournfully still, along with her dim, muddy eyes.

But soon she had to move in order for there to be any progression in her life, lest she sit in the dark forever, and the sun never rise again. The swept from the room as a spectre in the night, in her blue and white striped pyjamas, the kind worn by Wendy’s brothers in the muggle story, Peter Pan, that her mother had read so frequently to her on the blurry childhood nights.

And perhaps it was in the spirit of those memories that she crept down the staircase and along the corridor, into the dining room with its long oak table, always perfectly laid, and rows of perfectly ordered bookshelves. She ran her long, pale fingers along the spines of her mother’s muggle books, searching in the half-light for a title that could take her far away from her confusing world of broomsticks and wizards, especially ones with blond-hair and pointy faces, to a more sensible one where such things were only a part of the imagination, a fantasy without limits. Her eyes seemed to focus in on a rather old but thin book with a well-worn spine. She slipped it from the others and saw on the front a small brown bird, which Rose did not know to call a Nightingale, surrounded by the thick, thorned stem. Below, written in what imitated intricate, white handwriting, was The Fairytales of Oscar Wilde.

Rose could not pretend that she had heard of Wilde, for her knowledge of muggle literature truly did end with the name J M Barrie. She thought it a fine name though, Oscar, Rose had never known a person by that name, and it rolled off her tongue and into the night air with a comforting familiarity for something that she had not said before. For Oscar, to Rose, was a gentle name, and indeed a clever one, while Wilde lingered in her mouth as her lips shaped around it, and left thinking that there had never been two names so astronomically different to start with the same letter than Wilde from Weasley, but at least, she thought, flicking through the aging pages and finding her name amongst them, they had the flower in common.

Perhaps you might think that I am divulging from plot here, taking a moment to enforce my own loves upon my character. But, dear reader, you would be so wrong. Rose needs to find a story of her own and thus it falls to me to give her one. This is important, Reader, so important. I give you my word.

And so Rose sat down at the oak table and at that instant began reading the little story with her name at the top. She read as the pale morning light drew nearer through the window. She read as the other birds that were not nightingales began their morning chorus. She read as her own eyes reddened and a tear or two trickled down her face.

When she had finished, she scanned again over the last few lines.

‘What a silly thing love is – not half as useful as logic,’ she read out loud and never had she known the words to be so untrue.

To be fair on herself, Rose had never much valued her own logic above being thankful that she scarcely had to face her fear of failing tests, and never thought much of love above all that she felt for Scorpius, which she still didn’t know whether she could label love. And now, as she sat alone in the quiet, pale morning, she knew she had a fair deal of both, and berated herself for never thinking of such things before.

Yes, knowledge had been important to her over the years, but never really outside the realms of her studies. Rose had never found a book amongst the magical ones that thought as this muggle story did, nor felt as it did either. How shameful it was to her that the wizarding world – a realm of true imagination and endless beauty and wonder for the muggles – had so little imagination itself. Where was a wizard play that had made her laugh? A wizard story that had made her cry? A wizard poem she wanted to learn off by heart and recite at will? There seemed nothing but her school textbooks and endless histories and studies.

What a silly thing logic is – not half as useful as love, thought Rose.

[center]SEEING OTHER PEOPLE
~Rose and Scorpius' story about love~
Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2011, 12:39 pm
Third Year

Chapter 20 - Flowers

The day rolled over in idleness. Her parents had left for work early, and Hugo to stay with Alice Longbottom for the day, while Rose had remained largely in the dining room, working her way through all the stories in the little old book. She had shed several tears over the pages, and several more for Scorpius. Though the stories provided some release, the events of the previous night hung over her heavily. Even when Wilde lifted her far from the world, the stony feeling deep inside her chest weighed her down so that she was unable to fly freely.

After finishing The Happy Prince an emotional Rose had considered writing to Scorpius, but the moment she began to think about what to say put off the idea. She didn't know where to start or what to do – she was torturously embarrassed and dreadfully sad in equal measure.

Her father had returned from work first. Rose had heard him crash through the front door in the late afternoon, when the sky faded to pink.

'Rose? Hermione?' he called, his deep voice echoing around the house.

'Mum's not in yet,' she replied, 'I'm in the dining room.' She was astounded by how empty her voice sounded, knowing it fully betrayed her sorrow.

She heard Ron put down his bag and poked his head of receding red hair around the door. He watched her for a moment and his expression sobered as he saw her reddened eyes.

'Is that the same book you were reading this morning?' he asked softly and Rose nodded. 'It must be interesting,' he murmured under his breath and stood there on the brink of speech, clearly awkward and not sure how to approach his emotional daughter. After a moment, and with a fairly hopeless look, wandered into the living room. She followed him in, setting down the book.

'It's a muggle book,' she told him, wanting to encourage conversation and set his mind at ease. He looked grateful.

'But isn't it a bit dull? You could always give it to Grandad Weasley.'

'It's brilliant actually, better than any magic book I've ever read.'

'Last book I read properly was Quidditch through the Ages about 30 years ago, so I can't say I can judge.' Rose laughed but in the back of her mind wasn't sure whether Ron was joking or not. Talented wizard though she knew he was, she had long been aware of her father's distaste for the academic.

'Maybe you should do a bit less reading and a bit more sleeping. No offence, my dear, but you look pretty rough.'

'Thanks, Dad,' she said and rolled her eyes, but knew it was true. Along with her restless night, the amount of firewhisky consumed the previous evening could not have helped matters. He smiled at her lopsidedly and patted down her bushy hair. He helped – made her better, healed a bit – like Dads should. She wandered upstairs somewhat comforted, though she wasn't quite sure why.

She lay back on her bed with its smooth, thick quilt and felt peaceful. The hurt continued in her heart but it was under control. She felt it, but it didn't bother her so much. Perhaps it was knowing that her father was downstairs, that she could only call and he would come, that he would do all her could to help her, that eased the pain.

And it was that calm that finally permitted sleep. Rose realised how every cell in her ached with tiredness and her eyelids sagged, letting through only the dimming light that cascaded through the window and onto her weary body.

A door slammed below…muffled voices up the stairs…her mother standing at her window, drawing the curtains…the pillow against her face…the door again…

'Rose? Rose?'

A loud, harsh voice hit her ears. She groaned and turned in her bed.

'C'mon you lazy cow,' came that voice again and Rose's eyes flickered unwillingly open. At first there was only a red blur and the unpleasantly piercing light in her face. The blurriness cleared and to her surprise, Rose found Lily perched on the edge of her bed, peering down at her with a smirk. Rose jumped up.

'What are you doing here? What's the time?' The world still felt hazy and confused. Rose closed her eyes to try and straighten her mind. Rose opened her eyes and looked out of the window, despite the bright light in her room, it was virtually dark now outside, the village hanging sleepily before her, only the tip of the sun visible over the hills.

'It's only 7. I just wanted to see how things were with Scorpius.'

This confused Rose further. 'Scorpius? Why?'

Lily took a moment, before replying. 'I'm just curious. I want things to work out with you guys, y'know?'

Rose frowned and stood up. 'No I don't know. It's none of your business anyway. You don't have any reason to be here.'

Lily looked at Rose far too knowingly for comfort, then said slowly, 'I spoke to Scorpius; he told me what happened.' Rose froze on the spot in mortification.

'He had no right to.'

'Rose, he's in bits. He just wanted someone to confide in.' Lily's dark eyes seemed to plead with Rose for understanding. 'You should talk to him.'

Rose rolled her eyes. 'I don't want to. It's just embarrassing.'

Lily's expression hardened slightly, her set jaw fiercely resembled her mother's. 'So you're not even going to try?'

'You don't understand…' but Rose trailed off feebly. This seemed to strike Lily quite hard, for she joined Rose in standing and looked fierce.

'No, you don't understand. Do you have any idea how lucky you are? To have someone who cares about you as much as he does? Thinks as much of you as he does? And you're going to waste it because of some stupid embarrassment that doesn't even matter.'

'Me? lucky?' said Rose incredulously. 'Compared to you with you legions of admirers?' Lily laughed out loud, throwing back her glorious mane of hair.

'Do you think a few cocky idiots care about me? They don't even know who I am. Do you really think my life is that easy?' there was a desperate fury in Lily's eyes that was alien to Rose. 'You're not the only one who's lonely, Rose.'

And there it was. Lily's wall had collapsed right in front of her. The beautiful, fierce girl, now reduced to rubble, slumped onto Rose's bed and let her head fall into her hands. At that moment Rose was struck by how old Lily seemed for someone who was not quite 14, older than Rose perhaps, who was 2 years her senior. Rose sat back down on the bed very gently and watched her. After a moment Lily sat up straight, composure regained, and looked vaguely around the room. The silence was impenetrable.

'Your hair got darker,' said Lily quite out of nowhere and Rose looked around to see a sort of mist in Lily's bright brown eyes. 'It used to be the same colour as mine, when we were little – now it's darker.'

Rose's reply was quiet and somewhat uncertain. 'Hair often gets darker as you get older. Mum says I have Grandad Granger's hair.'

They were silent again. Rose twirled a curl of red-brown hair around her index finger. Lily watched her. After a minute of so, Lily rolled her eyes and stood up.

'Right, I've had enough of this,' she declared and Rose almost jumped back in surprise. 'You're going to talk to him. You have to! This is all so pointless.'

Lily grabbed Rose's hand and pulled her off the bed. The suddenness of Lily's return to light-hearted jolliness seemed astounding.

'No, Lily, this isn't fair,' she mumbled hopelessly as Lily led her from the bedroom and down the stairs. 'He probably doesn't even want to talk to me.'

'He does,' said Lily with absolute conviction. 'He just doesn't know it yet.'

They entered the front room, where Ron sat pouring over a levitating map with small pins stuck into it. He looked up in surprise.

'Lily? When did you get here?'

'No time to talk, Unc. Rose's love life needs urgent attention.'

Ron seemed to not know quite what to say and turned slightly pink, before burying himself again in the map. Rose cringed inwardly.

Lily steered her into the fireplace but Rose looked at her pleadingly.

'I don't want to do this,' she said quietly, with genuine fear.

'If you didn't, you wouldn't have let me bring you down here,' said Lily equally gently, with a calming stroke of Rose's arm. Lily handed Rose some Floo Powder and stepped back. They exchanged a final look: Rose unsure, Lily encouraging.

'Malfoy Manor,' said Rose quickly and vanished into the fireplace.

'Malfoy Manor?' repeated Ron rather sourly. Lily turned to him with an amused smile.

'Yep, Rose's gone over to the dark side,' she teased and Ron shot her a look, before allowing a small smile and turning back to his work.

'Laters, Unc!' she said, hopping into the fireplace where Rose had gone.

'See you, Lils,' he replied without looking up, and only a loud crackle told him of Lily's departure. He seemed somewhere between smiling to himself and looking a tad troubled. But he quickly shook his head and strolled off to look for the radio, for the Chudley Cannon's last match of the season would be starting at any moment.

Back at the Potter's house, Lily ascended the stairs to her bedroom very quietly and watched the last of the sun vanish over the landscape, for – as Rose knew from another book her mother had once read to her, though Lily knew it not – when people are very sad they like sunsets.

Old August 14th, 2011, 8:17 pm
Third Year

Chapter 21 - Malfoy Manor Again

Scorpius Malfoy sat in a vast room with blank, stone walls, a high, dark ceiling and an empty echo in the air. A vast fireplace lay in the centre of it, though it held no roaring flame nor emitted any warmth. Opposite the sofa in which he sat were two towering arm chairs.

The occupant of the first was a tall woman with white hair pulled tightly back, as pale as her ghostly skin. Her face was lined and though there was a well-worn weariness for her 67 years, she sat stiffly upright. Her former beauty was evident, but somehow wasted away, though there was a stern stoicism in her pale blue eyes that almost ordered respect.

Her husband sat next to her. He too looked older than his years, and was slightly hunched. His grey eyes, almost precisely the same as Scorpius', peered coldly at the floor. The top of his head was near bald. All of it that remained was a light silver.

'I've barely seen you in days, Scorpius,' said his grandmother, Narcissa, in a cold, clear voice. 'You've been up in that bedroom.'

'I've been working,' he said quietly, evading conversation.

'Too much work to spend time with your own family?' she asked bitterly. When he did not meet her eye, she muttered, 'I thought not.'

Then a horrible wailing took over the room. Narcissa winced and Scorpius covered his ears – Lucius scarcely reacted. It was a horrible, rasping sound, like someone shrieking as they fought for breath. An unnatural sound.

'Astoria, I thought you had that damned Pettigrew ghost under control?'

For Astoria Malfoy had just come through the large double-doors at the end of the room. She had an old-fashioned, serious beauty, with her chiselled features and statuesque figure. Her robes were a deep, midnight blue and they seemed to glide along the elaborate carpet as she strode towards the fireplace where they sat. She took a place next to Scorpius on the sofa.

'Sorry, Narcissa, but you've been trying to get rid of him since before I met Draco, so perhaps it's time we just accept that we can't do anything.' Narcissa looked displeased at this reply but Astoria did not take heed, for she turned quickly to her son. 'You're joining us for dinner then, Scorpius?' she said affectionately, a tender hand on his shoulder. He nodded.

His mother was the one member of his family that he felt some open affection for. His grandmother had a certain charm to her, were it not for her steely, hardened persona and deep-set faith in the blood bigotry that had faded to ridiculousness for most of the Wizarding World. And he loathed his grandfather, the broken man by the fire; not that Lucius said much at all anymore. Neither had been able to stomach the Malfoy fall from grace.

'It was never a question with Draco,' announced Narcissa. Astoria turned her head towards the old woman, slightly bewildered.

'What do you mean?'

'We would never ask Draco if he was dining with us. We made the decisions in our house,' Narcissa's stern, blue gaze turned to Astoria, who bit her lip slightly but then let out a small, polite laugh.

'Very good manners I'm sure,' said Scorpius dryly. 'Did Voldemort appreciate your hospitality?'

Narcissa gasped as cold anger seeped into her face. Lucius had shuddered slightly at the mention of Voldemort, but made no other movements.

'You shouldn't talk to your Grandmother like that,' said Astoria, but her voice was far from anger. There was only the slightest reproach in her gentle tones.

'Astoria, you're being far too soft with the boy,' said Draco fiercely, appearing at Narcissa's shoulder, having just slipped into the room. 'You're insolent, you know that? How dare you talk to someone far older and wiser than yourself like that?'

'Wiser?' snapped Scorpius. 'Maybe if they were a bit wiser you wouldn't have to lie to them about whose house I went over the other night and who my friends are at school.'

Now Draco's face whitened in fury. 'You dare-'

'Oh, I dare,' he sneered. 'You know my greatest friend in all the world is Rose Weasley – the perfect blend of blood traitor and mud-blood! Then there's her cousin Lily, Lily Potter. I believe you're acquainted with her father?'

'Draco,' came the creeping, cold voice of Lucius Malfoy, 'you let your only son mix with scum like that?

Scorpius stood up.

'I've had enough of this. I'm sick of you all. They're not scum. They're normal and happy and fun – not locked up in nasty old houses with all their bitterness and stupid superior beliefs.'

'If you hate it so much then you're welcome to leave,' said Narcissa coolly. Draco and Astoria exchanged a concerned look, but Narcissa continued to stare straight at Scorpius.

'I-' he stammered, his mind racing. He'd love to leave, of course he would, but where on earth could he go? Rose's, perhaps, but he knew that Ron wasn't sure of him, and though it was only for the weekend until they went back to school, he couldn't bring himself to ask. Lily's? No, he barely knew her family at all. With nothing left to do he turned and stormed up out of the room and up the stairs to his bedroom.

'He's not going, is he?' said Draco quietly.

'Oh, don't heed the boy,' said Narcissa, 'He'll be crawling back by his bedtime.'

Scorpius felt his pulse beating in his head as he stalked the corridor towards his room. All there was, was a blur of fury and fear and confusion. Wherever I end up is better than here, he thought fiercely. So without ado, he grabbed pristine, black leather school trunk and piled in a few pairs of robes, jeans and jumpers. Scorpius ran to his bedside cabinet and grabbed a small bag of Galleons and Sickles.

The Leaky Cauldron, he thought. He could travel there by Floo Network, and if he was in London money would be no worry at all with his Gringotts vault so nearby. It was sorted then. He grabbed his case and Cronus' cage, just managing to hold onto both as he tucked his broom under his arm. But as he stepped towards the fireplace, there was a great roar of flames and a person flew towards him, knocking him off his feet. Cronus' cage was open, so the owl went flapping wildly and hooting around the room as the contents of his Hogwarts trunk spilled over the bedroom floor.

'What the-?'

'Sorry,' came a timid voice from the bundle of robes before him. Rose pulled up her head and gave Scorpius a tentative smile as her freckled cheeks reddened.

Old August 17th, 2011, 5:25 pm
Third Year

Chapter 22 - Before the First Kiss

He looked down and her and felt nothing but irritation. His panic and fury was enough that Rose was not his priority now, and nor could he cope with another thing to try and sort out. All he could see was his grandmother's stuck-up expression, making Rose's face an object of anger with it.

'What are you doing here?' Scorpius demanded, rather more fiercely than Rose had been expecting. This threw her and she hurried to her feet.

'What's going on? Why have you got your school stuff?' she asked, peering around at the mess all over the room and the hooting Cronus returned to his perch on the desk.

His fury with his family would not abate, and now Rose was here asking stupid questions and only getting in the way. He looked at her derisively and rolled his eyes, whilst leaning down to pile his stuff back into the trunk.

'I hate not using magic,' he grumbled irritably and forced the trunk shut. Her lip moved to say something, to begin the conversation, but- 'I have to go. I'll explain later.' He pushed past her and her attempt to stand in his way was feeble. He threw her sideways like the air throws a feather.

Blinded by frustration and rage, he had forgotten the melancholy weight of the previous night, and forgot who Rose was altogether. That he needed her and had caused such despair so little time ago had slipped his mind.

But she had come for this to finally be sorted and would not leave now. She turned and grabbed his arm but he had already announced his destination. With a jerk Rose was pulled into the fireplace with him and she clamped her eyes shut. Her stomach twisted as her head spun and she felt as though the world was falling away from her. Then there was a loud crash and she landed on hard floor. She waited for the world to stop spinning before opening her eyes.

They had emerged in an empty fireplace in a small pub. The Leaky Cauldron was still buzzing with life at this late hour. Witches and wizards, young and old, wearing various degrees of eccentric clothing, huddled around tables or waited at the bar. Warm fires burnt in several corners, and several owls fluttered through the air.

Behind the bar stood a small, plump woman, with a vivid, rosy face and blonde hair down to her shoulders. Rose recognised her as Hannah Longbottom, wife of her parents' friend and her own Herbology Professor, Neville.

She looked back to Scorpius beside her and his face was far from rosy. His eyes bored into hers with an unstable anger that contorted his features, making his pointed face look harsher than usual and his paleness more out of place in the warm surroundings.

'Why did you follow me?' he asked coolly, but with an underlying ferocity.

At first she didn't say anything at all, before replying quietly, 'I want to talk to you.'

'If it's that important we can talk when I've got a room,' he said, approaching the bar.

Rose watched his exchange with Hannah. Even when talking to her he looked agitated and annoyed. Rose felt sadness ebb over her, her hopes of reconciliation were fading fast. Then there was anger, at herself for her selfishness, and not being more worried about why Scorpius had suddenly had to leave home. Had she ever seen this anger in him before? She could scarcely remember. Perhaps there had been times, lost long ago and pale in her memory. Blinded by her adoration of him, as she knew she was, she thought of the first time they met. His harshness, his belittlement – she'd hated him. And then came the rush of repentance and apologies.

'Come on, then,' he said, not even looking at her as he lugged his trunk and broom up the staircase, with Cronus trailing after him. Rose followed slowly and wandered whether she should say anything at all. Maybe it was better just to leave him be.

They reached the top of the stairs and he turned to one of the nearest room. He let himself in and she followed in silence. It was small, with a thin, single bed in the middle of the room and a bathroom at the side. Scorpius had clearly taken the cheapest room. Rose thought it odd, knowing of his wealth.

'Come on, what is it?' he demanded, dropping his trunk and broom on the bed before turning to face her. She trembled on the edge of speech, stopped by the annoyance in his face.

'Scorpius, calm down,' she said quietly, desperately wanting him back to his normal self, but this had not helped.

'Calm down? Calm down!' he snapped, his voice growling fiercely. 'I've just been kicked out!'

All romantic hope was wiped from her mind. 'Kicked out? What did you do?'

'Oh, so you think it's my fault too!' He threw himself back onto the bed and stared at the ceiling.

'I never said that,' she said weakly.

He didn't reply. With great trepidation, Rose crept towards the bed.

'I'm sorry,' she said to him, staring into the pale grey eyes that refused to look back. 'I shouldn't have just turned up like that.'

He seemed to disregard the apology but did stand up and face her. 'You didn't come for no reason, what did you want?'

She stammered slightly, not knowing what to say or if this would just increase his irritation. I'm going to have to tell him eventually, she thought. We can't carry on like this.

'Well?'

'I… Scorpius, I-'

'Oh, Rose,' he said slowly with a smirk. 'You're too old to be so shy.'

She felt her cheeks enflame. There it was. He thought her weak, childish and ridiculous. Her ridiculous inability to talk was just proving it. She'd never be worthy of him – this great God who said what he felt and disregarded all irrelevancies. She was probably just an irrelevancy now. But he still stared at her with that piercing glare and she was suddenly reminded of how close they had once been to her. The last night seemed far away and unreal. Stupid, without meaning, she'd been drunk and he'd been tired. And then there were those eyes again. Somehow, as she felt her feet guide her towards him, and felt his anger radiate on her skin, she knew he would not push her away.

And then before she'd had to think it through she'd pushed herself into his arms, and there was only a glimpse of silver eye in the sunlight before she felt his lips on hers. Soft, smooth, warm, hers. She felt his arm press on her back and she raised a soft, shy hand to his cheek. His anger had moulded into a different kind of ferocity as he buried himself in her wild hair and her fear and nervousness was now soft and true and blissful.

Old August 24th, 2011, 3:00 pm
Third Year

Chapter 23 - The Walls

For a long time nothing needed to be said. The room was still and cool as they sat beside each other, never quite touching since that one, first time. They never lit any light, so it was dark too. When she looked at him she could see his silhouette, his long, pointed nose, sharp chin and flicks of pale hair that still shone in the moonlight. He sat rigidly.

Every now and then she'd go to hold his hand but then she wouldn't. Or she'd lean her head towards him, but pull it back. He did not move through any of this. And then it was he who clasped her hand tightly in his and turned towards her with the moonshine on his face. She stroked their entwined fingers and looked at him when she dared.

'Sorry,' he said and his eyes shifted in discomfort. She just looked at him, forgetting to register or respond to his words. Perhaps he was inclined to think that he had not been forgiven.

Something flowed between them that had not been there before; Albus would have seen it. Something had broken and the floods had crashed in. They sat in silence as it ebbed between them, its gravity holding them perfectly in place, their fingers just touching.

It was so dark, but Rose could feel him. She was so aware of his position, his movements, his breath. In the dark she felt him turn towards her but he did not kiss her. He released her hand from his. Their foreheads met and he held her face tight in both hands, his thumb running softly over her freckles.

'I've waited so long for this,' she allowed herself to whisper and he couldn't see her blush. He didn't respond, but pulled her face towards his and allowed their lips to momentarily touch.

Then she laid her head in her favourite place on his shoulder and stared at nothing while his fingers ran through her hair. There was such a cool calm in the room. In her body. All tension was gone and the world was at ease. The very walls of the room seemed to swoop down and caress her with the closing of her pale eyes. The distant trees through the window bowed to them, King and Queen of the London night.

Now and then a tremor of fear went through her; that she was out too late, that her parents would wonder where she had gone. But she just couldn't care. She couldn't bring herself to tear her head from his shoulder. To disappear and leave him in the lonely dark.

'Is everything ok now?' he asked quietly, and she listened to the hum of his voice. It was monotone and steady, it did not sing, it did not rise and fall like the mountains; it did not rise and fall like her chest; it was not a song; but, yes, a dull hum. And it warmed her and made her sure.

'Yes,' she said; and wondered if he had paid much attention to the tune of her voice.

And yet with every second the walls seemed to push in on them. The real world wanted to obliterate them. Twist through the window into the calm, dark room and fill it with chaos. Turn them outwards and away from each other. Turn them into something new, always different to what they were in this moment. She felt it.

Really, nothing of the sort was happening. Seconds were merely passing as they always do.

And then he wrapped her arm around her and squeezed her tight. Though she didn't know how, Rose did know that this signalled the end. People always squeeze you tightly when they mean to let you go. And sure enough he sat up straight and his arm was gone. Rose felt incredibly cold for a moment.

She knew what she had to say.

'It's late.' A bell tolled in the distance. 'I should go.'

They looked at each other and both of them put forth small smiles. She stood and he followed. Then Scorpius walked towards Rose and held his arms around her waist, and kissed her lightly on the forehead. She smiled and kissed his lips.

'I'll see you on the Platform,' said Scorpius, dispelling any hopes she had of visiting again before Monday.

'See you then,' she grinned despite herself.

And then it was over and she was passing like a spectre through the quietened pub and spun through the fireplace without attracting a glance. There was a happiness in her that made it impossible not to smile, and made her supress several laughs that had no obvious cause.

She had never looked forward to returning to Hogwarts quite so much. She could see the long evenings by the lake, the quietly flirtatious Potions lessons, the sour look on Anwen's face… Suddenly Hogwarts seemed to her the haven that her parents had always told her about. Perhaps she'd take Scorpius to tea with Hagrid, or they could spend their weekends hand in hand around Hogsmeade.

Lily would be pleased, she knew that, and Albus and James wouldn't mind. Hugo barely even entered her mind. And Violet… she had almost forgotten about Violet for the whole of Easter. She knew the ever-gentle Violet would be as excited as Rose. She would write to her tonight.

Rose tip-toed up through the living room. The house was dim and quiet. She could hear her father's snoring echoing down the stairs. Hugo's model Quidditch team were still hovering above the floor asleep where he had left them. She reached the corridor and heard a creak behind her.

Turning around, she saw her mother standing at the bottom of the stairs, her wild hair in a silhouette around her head. She was clad in pyjamas and dressing gown, and her brown eyes sparkled with a tired kindness.

'I was wondering where you'd got to,' she said, her voice edging into the severe.

'I'm sorry,' said Rose truthfully, 'I just forgot the time.'

Hermione looked at her for a moment, and seemed to soften as she picked up on the smile spread across Rose's face.

'Just tell us what time you're back next time, ok?' Rose nodded dutifully. 'And perhaps avoid your father in the morning.'

They exchanged an amused look and her mother turned to walk up the stairs. Rose had a bizarre feeling that Hermione knew the cause of Rose's happiness, but could not think how; for her mother's dark glance betrayed a satisfied knowing.

'Good night Rose,' she said with the same smug undertone.

'Night Mum,' replied Rose.

For a moment Rose paused at the foot of the stairs and marvelled in the majesty of the evening's events, but then she smiled, shook her head lightly, and ascended the stairs behind her mother.

She was soon tucked up in bed and the curtains drawn to block out the pale moon and penetrating stars. Rose wondered if 2 days' separation would be long enough to convince her that she had dreamed it, her hopes and imagining taken hold and finally driven her to hallucinating. And just before her tired eyes flickered softly to sleep, a mourning took Rose that she was too tired to comprehend, because sometimes people mourn for the end of sadness just as they do happiness, knowing that a part of them will change and be lost as paper turned to cinder in a fire.

Old September 12th, 2011, 7:50 pm
Third Year

Sorry for the delay - just started 6th form and I've had A LOT of work to do. Hope you enjoy!

Chapter 24 - Morning

She had waited for so long to leave the house - woken early, walked in a cloud of dragging movement and thought, Athena's morning hoot echoing inside. She sat in the dining room, her chair tucked neatly under the dark wood of the table and sat in almost perfect silent. The Little Prince was her book of choice, its spine lightly creased as she bent the pages towards her eyes, as pale as the morning sky.

She had not seen Scorpius since that night on Friday, and it was Monday morning now. No correspondence at all had passed between them, in fact, and Rose did not like it. Through the nights of Friday and Saturday and Sunday she had wondered if it could ever be true that he would kiss her like that, the boy she had watched since her very first year, but her memory argued that it was very true indeed. In the waking hours, Rose distracted herself mainly with muggle reading. It was first Oscar Wilde, and now Saint-Exupery, who had lead her away from her Magic Textbooks and shown her the world of literature, of story and prose and fiction and fantasy. Of ideas and dreams. It seemed so much more enthralling than what was, to her, the somewhat disappointing world of real magic. And so on she read.

A floorboard creaked overheard and Rose did not look up. Nor did she when footsteps trickled down the stairs and along the corridor. And then young Hugo, only just 13, opened the door to the dining room and peaked through his head of bright red hair, made messy by morning, and yawned loudly.

Again, Rose did not look up.

He walked silently across the carpet and assumed the chair next to her. For a moment he waited for acknowledgement, and watched her read for another, before finally breaking the gentle glaze of silence that was in the air of the room.

'Looking forward to school?' he asked, and even now Rose took a moment to look at him. When she did, she seemed to play his question through in her mind to process it before responding.

'Oh, yeah, I suppose so,' and in her eyes there was assumed a defeat, like a butterfly grasped in a net, being pulled from the air unwillingly. 'Are you?'

'A bit, it is a laugh most of the time – when we don't get much homework.' Hugo rubbed his eyes tiredly and lent back in the chair. Despite his dark brown eyes and slightly curled hair, his resemblance to Ron was striking in the long nose and heavy freckles.

Rose looked at him with a hint of condescension. 'Hugo, you're a Second Year. You know nothing of homework.'

'Only because Molly usually does it for me,' he grinned.

'Our cousin Molly?' asked Rose disapprovingly. 'Hugo, that's cheating. And I didn't think Molly would be willing to do that.'

'I think she just likes to show off about how clever she is.'

Rose gave him another look before turning back to her book, but her brother interrupted once again.

'Lily told me you're going out with the Malfoy boy,' he said with a slight smirk. Rose cringed inwardly.

'His name is Scorpius,' she said.

'It's still yuck. I bet dad wouldn't be happy, especially after you came back so late the other night.' There was a daring taunt in his eye now, and Rose turned to face him.

'You wouldn't –'

'Oh, wouldn't I?' he s******ed. 'You're a nerd, Rose, you'd be able to think your way out of it.' With that the small boy stood and fled the room with a playfully mischievous look.

'Oh, just get lost,' she muttered and rolled her eyes.

As the door did not shut behind Hugo before her mother's bushy-haired head peeped around the edge of it. 'Have you packed all your books?'

'I'll do it in a minute,' she sighed.

'No, Rose, we're going to be late. Now, please.' Her mother sounded stressed, as she always did on the day they left for school. There was never that much to be done, and they never were late, but Hermione would find something to worry and obsess over, and with the years Rose had learnt to just obey her.

'Ok, ok, I'm going now.'

As Rose ascended the stairs, she heard Hermione's shrill voice order Ron to put down the newspaper and make breakfast, though she had not yet spotted Hugo making his Chudley Cannon figures race up and down the corridor when he too had not finished packing. Rose reached her room and slammed the door shut behind her, feeling quiet solitude resume. For a moment she was struck by how often she was utterly alone during the holidays, in contrast to the constant bustle of the school corridors and tired chatter of her dormitory. She wondered how often she and Scorpius would be alone there, perhaps in afternoons by the lake or quiet corners of the library, but never really alone, never secure in their privacy, free to say and do as they pleased without fear of being overheard or interrupted.

And then for a moment she began to wonder if they would ever truly have that privacy. Perhaps one day they would live together, in a house not dissimilar to her own but far from other people who were not wanted in their moments of solitude. And then she froze and cast it from her mind. The future with Scorpius was too uncertain and foreboding to think of at all.

Rose went to her desk and began gathering up her numerous textbooks. Almost all interest in these books had faded now. They seemed cold and dull compared to the beautiful, pure, passionate volumes downstairs in her mother's bookshelves. The textbooks in her hands had scarcely been touched over the holidays, and Rose was struck by fear as she thought of how little she had worked or revised over Easter, with her OWLs fast approaching. She had been utterly distracted and even now, looking down at the old pages, wondered if she could really find the motivation to read through them all again, to pass her eyes over their words and feel nothing, touching on blank knowledge that would be so irrelevant to her. Clever though she may be, Rose did not want to spend the rest of her life with these books, with that torturously dull study of things so uncreative like repeating spells or potions recipes or looking at plants or reciting historical dates. She could not care about them.

Maybe Hogwarts would reignite her love of magic, but Rose had never much loved Hogwarts either. She could still remember the feeling of rejection at her sorting, her fear of not living up to her brilliant parents, her anger at them not telling them the full story, which she had only learnt in that ancient castle's walls. So far the place, with all its wonder and grandness and mystery, had sparked little but worry and disappointment for Rose.

Although she would admit the school's one triumph. It had given her Scorpius – and if that was the only gift of the magical world to her then so be it, it was a fine one. For that, at least, she was grateful.

'Rose, are you ready? Your mother will get a heart like a flutterby bush if we don't leave soon!' called Ron from downstairs.

Rose threw the books into her case, clicked it shut, and sped from the room.

Old September 17th, 2011, 2:12 pm
Third Year

Chapter 25 - 4 Years Ago

The platform was filled with a familiar steam that obscured all around. The small Rose, her red hair neatly plaited and Hogwarts robes crisp and clean, stood between her parents, again looking up at the great, scarlet engine with trepidation.

'I don't want to go,' she said quietly, but no one seemed to hear.

Beside her, the small Hugo, newly turned 9, had a face of wonder and longing as he looked at precisely the same scene. It was 10 to eleven, and Rose Weasley would soon be rushing through the countryside towards her third term at Hogwarts. Her mother's reassuring grip on her shoulder was no comfort.

Between clouds of smoke could be seen a stocky red-headed man and an athletic, pretty black woman beside him. Holding the woman's hand was a girl, not much older than Hugo, gazing around the scene with equal excitement. Rose recognised her cousin Roxanne. A way in front of the family was her older brother, Fred, in deep discussion with two other Gryffindor 3rd years, the taller and blond one being another cousin, Louis.

'George!' called Ron and wandered towards the family, quickly followed by Hugo. Taking advantage of their absence, Rose turned towards her mother.

'Do I have to go?' she murmured, blushing slightly. Hermione's face formed a sad smile.

'Why don't you like Hogwarts? You were so excited to start.'

There was a silence as Rose tried to form a sentence that she thought would not sound ridiculous.

'I thought I'd be a Gryffindor then,' she said, bowing her head slightly, 'but I'm not and it's… lonely.'

'Don't be silly,' Hermione said tenderly, 'Houses don't mean that much at all. There's no need to feel left out. You can still be as close friends with Albus and your other cousins as ever.' But Rose's face was still doubtful as little tears formed in her eyes. 'There really is nothing to be scared of. And you've already made great friends with other Ravenclaws, what about Violet? Scorpius seems to be your best friend of all, and he's in a different house.' Rose nodded timidly as Hermione smoothed her hair. 'You can be friends with whoever you want; you'll have a great term.'

Rose smiled for her mother and Hermione smiled back. Behind the pale blue eyes Rose's mind was still restless, still full of fear and dismissive of her mother's words. Of course houses are important, why would everyone care about them so much if they weren't?

From the mist appeared Albus, still muggle-attired and pulling with him his trolley packed with a hooting owl and sizeable trunk. He smiled at Rose and she returned it. Behind Albus were Harry, Ginny and Lily, for James had already run off to join Fred and his other friends.

Rose and Albus entered into vague conversation about their holidays and their hopes for the next term, Rose well-concealing her uncertainty. Lily observed them, looking somewhat put-out, as she always did when her brothers were returning to Hogwarts and she was not.

Above them, Ron had returned and it was to he and Hermione that Harry addressed his next statement.

'You've probably heard, but Professor Flitwick told me yesterday about the memorial next month.'

'No I hadn't. Merlin's beard, doesn't feel like 20 years,' Ron replied solemnly. Hermione held his hand without anyone noticing.

'They're having it in the Hogwarts' grounds,' said Ginny. 'The Prophet's giving me the day off; the same goes for anyone at the Ministry who wants to go.'

'It's good they're doing it,' said Hermione, slightly quieter than her usual voice. 'It will be nice.'

'Yeah,' muttered Harry, Ron and Ginny and nodded in agreement.

All four of them thought of precisely the same thing as they looked down at their children, conversing and running around and laughing.

Rose only half-heard this conversation, and understood it even less.

'I'm going to find Jason,' said Albus, 'see you on the train!' Rose wondered for a moment if she would be friends with Jason McLaggen if she were a Gryffindor. She had wondered a little from her parents, and could no longer see them through the mist. Her thoughts were interrupted by a tap on her shoulder. She turned to see a boy slightly taller than herself, with white-blond hair and a pointed face.

'Hi,' said Rose quickly, her face lighting up, 'where are your parents?'

Scorpius shrugged.

'Somewhere around here. They were talking to some boring old friends so I left them.'

Ron emerged out of the smoke behind them.

'Scorpius,' he said curtly, before turning to Rose, 'The train's off in a few minutes, you should get a space.' He bent down slightly so their faces were at the same height. 'Have a great time, alright? And you and Al keep an eye on James and Fred, make sure to report back any trouble.' Rose grinned up at her father and he pulled her into a hug. 'There's a kind of memorial thing so me and Mum will see you in a month, and remember what I said in September about your tests.' Ron glanced at Scorpius then winked at Rose, who rolled her eyes.

Hermione appeared. She kissed Rose gently on the head and stroked down the red hair that was escaping from Rose's plait. 'I promise it won't be that bad,' she whispered in her ear.

As Rose and Scorpius boarded the train, they were almost hit by an enchanted firework that had whizzed from the compartment where James sat with his friends. The train was packed this close to 11, and Rose caught fleeting glimpses of familiar faces as they rushed past her. Victoire blew a kiss to Teddy out of the train window; Frankie Longbottom sat gossiping with a group of Gryffindor girls; Molly, Percy's daughter, was lecturing someone on their use of a fanged frisbee. Rose and Scorpius eventually found a compartment at the very end of the carriage, just in time for Rose to stick her head out of the window and wave back at her parents and Hugo, who looked just as miserable as Lily beside him.

Rose replayed that day in her head as the car pulled up outside King's Cross 5 years later. If she had listened to her mother, would her life be so very different? Would she have spent her Easter with Albus and Jason rather than Scorpius?

And then she thought of the conversation she had only half-heard, and wondered how great was the pain that her father still felt for his lost brother, how recent did those brutal battles still seem in her parents' minds? How little her fears of Hogwarts had been compared to that great grief.

Old October 11th, 2011, 5:40 pm
Third Year

Chapter 26 - Platform 9 3/4

They got out of the car. It was busy, with a steady ebb of people flowing in and out of the station. Ron carried Rose and Hugo's trunks to the door, light in his hands thanks to Hermione's lightening charm. Her mother then fetched them trolleys, onto which they loaded their luggage. Rose held Athena who seemed calm this morning, quietly surveying the scene with her wide yellow eyes. As ever, the family gathered many stares as they cut through the crowds towards the barrier. Several young girls laughed and pointed at Hugo, wobbling along while Dusty, his Sooty Owl, fluttered wildly in her cage. He blushed as red as his hair.

Rose floated quietly through the station, her warm hair neatly tucked into a bun. She was muggle-attired, her enthusiasm to wear her school robes having faded dramatically over the years. A smile touched her lips, the first time she had smiled in this station since her very first journey here. And for the first time since then it seemed buzzing with life, with excitement. Every now and then another strangely-dressed teenager would wander past, or an owl would hoot in the distance, and Rose found it exhilarating. Never had she felt so privileged to be part of this great secret. And the muggles wandered by so unaware…

And then they were at the barrier. Hugo, still slightly unsure, ran at the barrier, his expression screwed up with the anticipation of impact. Rose walked calmly towards to wall between Platforms 9 and 10 and slipped through with ease. On the other side was the great scarlet engine and the usual steam swirling through the air. An enormous wave of sound hit her. Parents and sisters and brothers whirled around in the smoke, half-seen. Rose could scarcely discern a face, spare Hugo's beside her.

Then a pair of arms flew out of the mist and wrapped around her. Rose felt the hair against her face and knew who it was.

'We barely spoke all Easter!' came the sweet voice. 'Until that letter the other night I thought you'd forgotten me.' Violet faced her now, her wide turquoise eyes glowing.

'Of course not,' said Rose and smiled.

'I suppose you had other concerns,' said Violet knowingly, and Rose grinned despite herself. 'I knew it, I always knew you'd get together eventually. And I frequently told you.'

'And you and Fred?' Rose asked, recalling Violet's grief prior to the holidays.

'Ok now, I think,' she shrugged, though did not look upset. 'I guess we'll see.'

Violet soon left to re-join her family, and Rose turned to find hers vanished into the smoke. She cut through the people, again searching for a face she recognised. It did not take long to again catch sight of her parents, having finished loading Rose and Hugo's luggage, stood next to Ginny and George, for Harry and Angelina were working. Albus stood in front of the four alone, while James, Fred and Lily were absorbed in each other's conversation.

'Hey, Rose,' said Albus as she approached. 'It just hit me that we do our OWLs this terms. It's weird.'

'It's terrifying,' muttered Rose, again regretting her lack of revision over Easter.

'But apparently they're going to teach us the Patronus Charm before our exams! Mum said something about a special guest coming in to talk us through it.'

'Wow,' said Rose, to the children of the Order, the Patronus Charm had always seemed to staple of a good wizard. 'What's your Patronus again, Dad?' she asked Ron.

'A great, brave wolf,' he replied, pushing out his slightly podgy chest.

'It's a Jack Russell,' whispered Hermione and they all laughed.

'Can all wizards do Patronuses?' asked Albus, and the older wizards exchanged a look.

'Not necessarily,' it was George who replied, his jovial expression somewhat fallen. 'Sometimes, if something really bad happens, something that makes you lose a lot of hope, you can't do it anymore.' Rose and Albus knew about whom he was talking. Ron's hand was on his brother's shoulder.

With a swish of red hair Lily had skipped from James and Fred towards Rose.

'If you're looking for Scorpius, I think I just saw him arrive,' she said, and Rose caught a glimpse of Ron rolling his eyes, and Hermione elbowing him. 'He was on his own, so he can't have gone back home.'

'Thanks,' said Rose, her heart speeding up in her chest. Again Rose scanned the crowd but could not see him. 'Back in a sec,' she murmured to the others, before wandering off into the smoke.

She caught sight of Percy and dodged to avoid him; then Louis, Bill and Fleur, with whom she exchanged smiles; then the McLaggen siblings: burly, harsh-looking Callum, beautiful, confident Lauren and the smiling and more timid Jason; then the Longbottoms, Frankie was scanning the crows and Rose wondered if she was looking for James, while small, blond Alice followed behind her elder sister; and then Scorpius. He looked tired, with dark circles around his icy eyes, and his pale hair ruffled and messy. His clothes were scruffy too, and even Cronus looked surprisingly rugged for an owl. He looked at her and smiled faintly, and she noticed the ghostly tone of his skin.

'Have you been eating?' she demanded instantly upon reaching him. 'You look exhausted. Thank god we're going back to Hogwarts to be looked after properly.'

'Shut up, Rose,' he said, half-smiling. She did. He held her hand and pulled her away from the crowd, though Rose pulled his trolley along with her, for fear of Cronus going missing. They reached a corner shaded by a great stone pillar and without a word he kissed her, fiercer than before with a kind of abandon as he pulled her towards him, his hands tight across her back. She felt her pulse thudding through her, her cheeks hot against his face. She allowed her own hands to roll through his hair and down the back of his neck.

'…Rose?' came a quiet voice and she pulled away instantly. To her displeasure, Hugo stood just behind them, his face distorted into an expression which clearly said yuck. 'Dad said to tell you the trains about to leave,' and with that the boy turned on his heel and left.

'Hugo' snarled Rose, running forward to grab her brother, 'Hugo!' But he had already vanished into the steam, and with a glance upwards Rose saw that it was indeed 11.58. She and Scorpius both hurried to load his luggage onto the train, before leaping on just as the train lurched into motion. She caught sight of Ron and Hermione on the platform and waved – had Hugo been able to impart his news to them before getting on the train? There was no sign of anger in Ron's face.

The pair wandered through the busy carriage, before Roxanne and Lily appeared, they too apparently in search of a compartment.

'Want to sit with us?' offered Rose.

'Sorry,' replied Roxanne, 'Some girls in our year have saved us seats.'

'Should probably hang out with some people my own age,' smiled Lily, and the two girls again vanished down the corridor.

Rose and Scorpius walked and walked to little avail. She saw James, Louis and Tommy sitting together, each boy accompanied by Frankie Longbottom, Lauren McLaggen and Aoife Finnegan respectively. Rose was happy to note Frankie and James' reconciliation and wondered why Fred was not with them as he usually was.

The answer to this question was revealed quickly, when they came across a compartment in which Violet, Fred and Albus. To Rose, Fred choosing Violet over James seemed a crucial relationship development.

'Mind if we join?' asked Rose.

'Of course not,' said Violet and the others smiled in agreement. Rose perched herself next to Albus, and Scorpius next to Violet.

'So,' said Fred, 'Ron know about you two yet?' Rose shot Violet a look.

'Sorry, but I had to tell him. I couldn't resist.' Violet blushed slightly and entwined her fingers around Fred's. Scorpius looked mortified.

'No need to be shy, Scorpius,' grinned Fred, 'the whole school will know soon, and then it will be embarrassing.'

'And you best not be the one to spread it,' warned Rose, but Fred's only answer was a mischievous wink. Violet hit him.

'I don't really see what the issue is,' said Albus, 'is it really worth all the gossip there'll be?'

'Harry Potter's niece with Draco Malfoy's son?' smiled Fred, 'Best gossip they've had since James started school.'

'Great,' said Scorpius through gritted teeth.

'I wouldn't worry,' said Fred, 'if anything it'll make you look better. Show you're perfectly fine with mud-bloods and blood-traitors and all that, in fact, more than fine.'

'I hate you, Fred,' said Rose, and her cousin grinned.

Old May 22nd, 2012, 6:58 pm
Third Year

I took a LONG break but I'm back. I have 5 chapters ready waiting to be added onto here so I'll put one on every few days. A short one to begin with:

CHAPTER 27 - 3 Years Later

The room was dark. She had let the light drain away without resistance, without forcing any false, harsh glare on the naturally progression into dusk. Oh, Rose, Rose, sweet Rose, with cheeks whiter than the moon outside which glowed so gently on her broken breast; her burning, twisting insides; her shrieking, searing heart; her thundering, bellowing mind, all full of silent agony in a silent room. The tears had dried on her face and left a moonlit river carved through her features, the glassy blue eyes that wanted to see nothing, as much as her mind wanted to think nothing, and her soul wanted to feel nothing.

How strange, to look out onto fog-clouded marshes, dismal and grey, and think of the stars falling further away above one's head. To feel, in a moment of purest pain, the universe moving about you, and to be incapable of caring. The glance back to the head of the bed had not yet stopped being instinctive; the sight of the crisp, cold pillow still not sufficiently emblazoned in her skull. She still saw him for a moment. But the moment was soon gone and something inside her fell away like the stars.

He wasn't even dead. She couldn't even romanticise it that much.

There's no feeling like that, that moment when your stomach drops and your eyes sting, no worse moment ever will you live through - to be alone, void of poetic solitude, void of romantic melancholy, to be simply alone and wretched. She was wretched, a cast-out, unwanted creature on the end of her own bed - her own bed and no one else's - the bed where every night she lie in torment, in hell, in a thrall of demons, because there was not a cheek across which her hand could pass softly unawares, and not a heavy breath to lull her to slumber.

I had to tell you. I couldn't let you hope.

Old May 22nd, 2012, 6:59 pm
Third Year

Chapter 28 - And 3 Years Back

She woke early. The Ravenclaw common room was laced with the pale light of morning as the deep blue silks sparkled. The light spread through the dark circle of the room and made the midnight carpet a shimmering river. The stars, painted intricately on the ceiling, shone brighter than the ones now hidden outside.

Pulling herself up, she turned and cast her cool gaze out of the window, towards the grounds. From the Ravenclaw Tower, you could see them in their entirety: the lake, like a mirror, the rolling fields of emerald, crisp with morning, and then the forest, shaded by the great, far-off mountains.

She turned her head again and saw Violet. The girl lay peaceful in her bed, her skin glowing like the silk beneath her. Rose reached out a hand to tap her shoulder, but was reluctant to disturb the frail, quiet sleep and turned back to the window. The air was getting warmer already, preparing for a Hogwarts summer of sport and long, sunny days at the lake. Her OWLs seemed simply irrelevant in this tall, silent room, and part of a world which she somehow knew didn't really matter, not when Violet could sleep so softly and the early morning sun shine through the clouds.

A shuffle of fabric alerted Rose to the fact that Violet had arose naturally. She stretched and released a soft morning groan, as Rose tiptoed across the floor. Violet held up the duvet for Rose to slip in beside her.

'I didn't see you after the feast,' said Rose enquiringly, and Violet blushed. 'Where did you get to?'

Violet seemed to sink into her dark hair. 'Just got delayed really – y'know. Do you think breakfasts ready yet?' But she could not disguise the lips twisting to supress a smile between her now red cheeks.

'Vi, you were HOURS. It must have been 12 when I fell asleep. On the first night of term too – you rebel!' Rose delighted in Violet's quiet happiness; there never seemed to be much complication in her nice little world.

'It wasn't anything that bad,' she muttered, half-hiding her face under the blanket. 'Fred took me out to the grounds, said he wanted to show me the stars.'

'Probably showed you more than that…'

Violet tried to look at Rose with reproach but just laughed. 'Stop! We just hung out and stuff – it was so much fun, Rose.' Her smile was big and true and real. 'Before Easter, things were all funny and I swear I thought he was going to dump me, but last night was perfect, so perfect.'

And Rose smiled too because the stars that Violet had seen last night were deep in her eyes. And Rose hugged Violet, and held her smooth head to her shoulder and whispered, 'I'm so happy for you Violet, so happy.'

Rose bid Violet and Felicity Clearwater farewell in the Entrance Hall, and while they took their breakfast, went to stand where the long, dark staircase that led down into the dungeons fed out into the brilliant hall. First to appear from the stairs was Anwen Nott, who with a flick of her long, black hair thrust Rose out of the way. Even now something flared in her chest when she thought of the long, quiet nights she must spend with Scorpius in the Slytherin Common Room. Rose hopefully imagined Scorpius coming in and retiring immediately to the dormitory with a book. And then the real Scorpius' face burst through the illusion and he stood before her, lit by the diamond sun. His smile was reluctant, and her heart sank.

'Did you sleep well?' She asked, and he did not look at her, but walked slightly faster than her as if she was not there. Groups of students seemed to stop and a chorus of whispering arose through the air, causing Rose to blush slightly and Scorpius to shoot fiery looks at anyone in his path.

'Yes, fine. Yourself?'

'Fine.' She said, and waited a second to see if he would acknowledge her response. He pushed a First Year out of the way. 'Wish they'd all shut up about us.' He stopped in his path and glowered at a group of onlookers, who quickly dispersed.

'What did you expect, Scorpius?' she stammered, willing herself to speak up, willing herself to look into those pale grey eyes, 'I'm Harry Potter's niece; I'm sorry to say it but you're a- a Malfoy – a known Death Eater family. That means nothing to me, but it does matter to them. People were always going to talk and I thought you wouldn't care.'

'So it doesn't bother you? You don't care what anyone thinks?' He snapped, somehow cutting deeper than the simple words. He seemed to put a mocking irony into it. Rose paused and blushed for a second. Of course she cared, she cared more than anyone, but she cared more about finally having him.

'But I thought you'd be above it all – you'd think it was stupid-'

'I do think it's stupid. I don't want to give them more to gossip about.' He tried to turn away, but she was rooted to the spot and with a feeble hand turned him back.

'By acting like my boyfriend?'

'Just stop Rose, seriously. Why does it matter to you so much that we show off we're together?' She paused, tears forming in her eyes, glanced around wildly for help, and found groups of students gathered, listening in. 'I've got bigger stuff to worry about without dealing with any of this rubbish.' His gaze bore into her; Rose shattered under it.

'Looks like you've given them more to gossip about,' she gasped, pushing through the surrounding students, and swept away into the Great Hall before anything more could be said. He stared at the point where she had fled, then turned on his heel and shoved a second year from his path, before descending the stairs to the dungeons once more.

He felt at home in these dank, dark corridors, sparsely lit with glimmering torches that cast tall shadows on the rotting walls. For a moment he had a vague wish to hide forever in the shadows, never face anyone else, and never have to be seen. It seemed that Rose hadn't quite recognised that here stood a boy who, after being mocked and rejected by society for his accidental and resented family connection, had just been made homeless and as far as he knew disinherited by said resented family. Perhaps she thought that release from such people would be a release, but perhaps she did not understand what Scorpius now knew all too poignantly, that there is no greater pain than fearing yourself unloved by the only people who are really meant to love you eternally and unconditionally. Rose did not know what it was like to not have someone love you unconditionally, did not understand the agony of a boy whose father had never told him that he loved him, and whose mother had never read him a story or kissed him goodnight in his younger years. No, she did not understand. And here were more people, all around, laughing and speculating and hating, hating something they didn't even know. Always more people.

Old May 25th, 2012, 12:27 am
Third Year

Chapter 29 - By The Lake

Rose could not help but allow her little tears to slide down her pale cheeks as she stormed through the Great Hall, not daring to look at a single face until she was seated at the far end of the Ravenclaw table with no one else. Her head fell into her hands and she couldn't bring herself to care that they looked as she released a great, heaving sob that shook her inside. Everything seemed to melt away and there was only the red, red inside of her eyelids, and her locked hands clamped tight to her bushy hair. So close, so close. Never again. Never let yourself hope again. No, she could never face such bitter disappointment again in all her life. She was quite sure it would break her completely. For now the whole of Hogwarts, the whole of the world had fallen away and there was only a loud, loud pain pounding in her chest.

And then a soft, clear voice broke through.

'Rose! Oh, Rose, what's wrong?' and she couldn't help but look up into Violet's great, turquoise eyes, and see them accompanied by a deeply brown pair just behind.

'I-it's nothing,' she stammered feebly, rubbing her stained, puffy face with the sleeve of her robe. Lily sat down on the other side of her.

'What's he done now?' she asked, wrapping a strand of her fiery red hair around her forefinger.

'I don't know,' said Rose as she attempted to supress fresh tears. 'He's so bothered by people talking about us – it's come out of nowhere. They won't have anything to talk about anymore!' She threw her head back down on the table and Violet wrapped an arm tight around her quivering shoulders.

'I think you're being a bit melodramatic,' sighed Lily. 'I doubt he'd chuck everything with you away because of something like that.' Rose raised her eyes to glare at Lily, as carelessly patronising as ever. Violet disregarded this comment.

'He's probably just nervous or something,' she suggested lightly as she rubbed Rose's arm. 'You're his first girlfriend really, aren't you? He might be freaking out a bit - it's normal.' Lily tittered.

'You really don't know Scorps, do you?' then she turned back to Rose with a serious eye. 'You seem to be disregarding how much **** he's going through at the moment. He might be ****** that you're not paying any attention to that.'

'Lily!' interjected Violet reproachfully. Rose opened her mouth to argue back, but her lip trembled and shut again.

'No offence, but you need to stop moaning about your own pretty mediocre problems and help him out a bit.' Rose still stared at those sickeningly chocolate eyes, the orbs of condescension. 'It's what you'd do if you cared.'

'You don't know how it is,' came the quiet protest, but Lily shot it down with a roll of her eyes.

'I'm going to find Scorpius and see how he is,' she declared, arising from the table with a flourish of her mane and gliding from view, leaving Rose distraught and disgruntled.

'Just ignore her,' said Violet in a tone that regretfully lacked sincerity, and led Rose to sink deeper into her friend's shoulder with a sigh. 'She's always a bit blunt… Let's just have some breakfast!'

Out in the Entrance Hall, Lily did not waver in her location of Scorpius, slipping down into the dungeons without considering another possibility. She walked down the dark corridors with an out-of-place grace, and her bright skin and hair lighting them up more than those dim lanterns. And thus he saw her coming, and cowered further into the corner where he had shielded himself, but this was futile, and she picked out his drawn face from the grimy wall immediately.

'Go, Lily,' he said, with a harsh warning to his voice. Out of nowhere she smiled.

'Like I'm going to do that,' she said, and then slid down beside him in his darkened sanctuary. They said nothing for a while. He refused to acknowledge her presence, keeping a steady eye on the opposing wall, while she looked straight at him with an equally steely expression. There was a sound that seemed far, far away, the dripping of water down the ancient walls. Everything seemed very far way.

'It's pretty ****, isn't it?' she said, and her voice haunted the cob-webbed corners of the passage.

'I don't know what you mean,' he said in a strong voice. But he still looked at her, and thought that this was the only time he had heard her speak without laughing or pulling a face or grimacing or scowling. She just looked pure, wide-eyed, her full, pink lips suspended limp where the words had left them.

'You do,' she said, still frozen, suspended in a time that was slipping away with every second, and no magic could stop it. They still looked at each other hard, almost angrily.

'You know more than her,' he said in slow, measured words, doubting it with every breath, 'without saying half as much.'

Her eyes were glossy, red flecks amid the brown, reflecting the torches, and nothing definable within. His were of stone.

'Don't say **** like that.'

And she was gone.

And he thought about that hours later, as he stood out in the grounds in the orange, evening light, watching the procession of Rose, Lily, Hugo, James and Albus trudge towards Hagrid's for their occasional tea-parties. As they neared, he stepped back behind a few trees and out of their sight. He heard the creek and clunk of the door as it was pulled open and slammed shut, sealing them inside the old hut. And there he waited, as the sun fell further behind the mountains and the cries of all manner of bird and beast filled the cooling air. All the time he clung to his wand, every now and then muttering something under his breath and flourishing it to no effect. Finally, on his fourth try, he said 'orchideous' to the night and it gave him a deep, red rose from the end of the wand. He smiled to himself and stroked the soft, violent petals, then went back to staring at the darkening sky.

The sun last strains of sunlight still spooled into the sky when he heard them leave, and he jumped up to attention. His heart was shuddering as he stepped lightly over the grass, towards the hollering, glorious group, the rose held behind his back.

'Hey,' he said finally, and Rose was the first to turn. Her eyes widened and her cheeks reddened as her pale, blue eyes locked onto his face. James stepped in front of her.

'Leave it, Scorpius. You've done enough for today.' His younger sister pushed him aside and nudged Rose forwards.

'Oh shut up, James. Stop trying to be all impressive,' Lily sniped, before grabbing his muscular arm and turning him around. He went with her reluctantly, and Albus and Hugo too glanced back nervously before departing entirely. Rose and Scorpius stood in quiet until the group passed over a hill and out of sight.

'I-'

'I'm sorry,' she said first, cutting over him. 'I know all this stuff with your family has been crazy and I've been so wrapped up in- in nothing – absolutely nothing – that I haven't been there for you at all.' He smiled despite himself, and they were both lit up by the dim orange glow of the evening.

'I'm sorry for being so moody,' he murmured, and stepped towards her until she looked up into his silver gaze. 'I made you this…' his pale cheeks went slightly pink as he presented the rose, and she grasped it to her chest.

'It's beautiful, Scorpius! So beautiful,' her eyes were glowing – he wondered if there were tears in them. And because there might be tears in them he pulled her head towards his in urgency and the clash of their lips rung out into the night. Rose felt his hot breath on her lips, his soft hair on her fingers and the warmth of him all around, the scent of him wrapping around her. He pressed his hand hard on her back and she bent towards him, her shy, gentle hand, running down his nape. Her heart was thundering, her head swimming, his chest smooth through their robes, a glint of his grey eyes, a swish of her wild hair, and her hand in his as they broke apart and walked in a haze through the emerald grass, down to the diamond lake as the sun finally fell entirely. And they lay beside the lake, and she rested her head on his shoulder and she felt his warm breath on her cheek and both of their hearts, pummelling their rib cages, trying to beat together and Rose nervously suggesting they go back to the castle as night enveloped them entirely and he tried to hold her differently.

Old May 25th, 2012, 6:32 pm
Third Year

Chapter 30 - The Prophet Please leave some feedback positive or negative

The next few days passed in a haze of bliss. The days of lessons were wiped from the minds of both Rose and Scorpius with the long, silent evenings lazing by the lake or tucked away in the library, before returning to the common room for cosy, fire-side conversations with the eager Violet. Without even realising it, Rose had got the real Hogwarts, the one her parents knew and loved; the one of easy days and easy company and home, despite the oncoming threat of exams.

One particular morning, Rose turned to see Violet running up to the Ravenclaw table at breakfast, waving the Daily Prophet wildly in her hand. Upon reaching Rose, she collapsed on the opposite side of the bench with a morbid dread in her bright eyes. 'Have you seen?' she gasped. Rose quickly replied the negative, her curiosity roused. 'Just you wait!' Violet grimaced. She threw down the Prophet on the table and flicked over the pages until a bold headline stood over a double-page spread: 'FORBIDDEN LOVE AT HOGWARTS?'

Rose's insides lurched as Violet began reading aloud, 'It seems that the arrival of summer is causing heat all the way up in Hogwarts,' she paused to roll her eyes, 'as a close source has revealed to us that love is in the air for none other than Rose Weasley and Scorpius Malfoy, both 16. Miss Weasley is none other than the only daughter of Ron and Hermione Weasley (née Granger), the war-time heroes who duelled to victory alongside Harry Potter in the Second War and have since become household names…blah, blah, blah… while quite contrastingly, young Mr Malfoy is the newest generation of the 'ex-' Death Eater Malfoy family, and heir to the ancestral home which Voldemort himself… yadda, yadda, yadda… It seems impossible at the moment to ascertain if this is a case of bad-boy-made-good, or rather a young rebellion against the idyllic Weasley-Potter dynasty… and so on… but one thing is certain, these star-crossed lovers have a fight on their hands akin to that of the Boy-Who-Lived.' Violet lay the paper back down on the table with an apologetic smile.

'****,' breathed Rose, unable to think or move. Violet climbed under the table to wrap her arm around Rose, which caused a few heads to turn in their direction. She rested her head in Rose's wild hair and stoked her shoulder, but Rose did nothing but stare out into the air with her great, pale eyes. Eventually, she turned to Violet with a quivering lip. 'W-what am I going to do? If he sees this, he'll- he'll call it all off. I know he will.'

'Well, you can't exactly hide it from him,' said Violet quietly. That was clear. Looking around the hall, Rose could already feel the eyes staring at her, the whispers, a wolf-whistle rang out from the Gryffindor table and Rose saw James hit its creator over the back of the head with a piece of toast. Then, to Rose's sinking heart and stomach, she knew the cause of the whistle. The graceful stride of two very recognisable feet approached.

'Hide it,' she seethed through barred teeth, and Violet, with a look of protest, through the paper under the table just before Scorpius sat opposite them.

'Hi, girls,' he said with a lazy smile as he took a slice of bacon, 'sleep well?'

'Very,' said Rose and Violet released a nervous giggle, causing Rose to elbow her in the ribs. Scorpius narrowed his eyes but continued to smile. For several minutes they ate in peace, but Scorpius still shot them strange glances over the toast bowl.

'Why are you two so quiet?' he asked suddenly. They both stammered.

'Us? Us?' stammered Rose, 'Just tired.' She smiled and he did not, but laid down his cutlery.

'And yet you slept very well?' he asked, still not quiet accusatory. 'What's going on? '

Violet exchanged a look with Rose, but as Violet went to answer, Rose interjected, 'nothing, nothing. I'm just getting a bit nervous about exams. It's just dawned on me how near they are!' He looked at her sardonically, before, to her horror, reaching under the table and pulling out the Prophet, turning it to page 7, and holding it out to her.

'I have seen the news,' he said, rolling his eyes. 'I've already been slaughtered for it in the Common Room.' There was a lead weight in her stomach – her lungs seized up. 'And I suppose after our… disagreement… the other day, I had to prepare myself for something like this.' The return of his lop-sided smile caused her whole being to relax. 'And you two are the worst liars that have ever walked the face of the Earth.'

She grabbed his hand and the words rushed from her mouth in one gush, 'I'm so sorry it's all my fault the Prophet is horrible I swear I don't know how they found out I'll never lie to you again I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry!'

He laughed and patted the hand in his, 'it's fine! We can only laugh about it, because I'm pretty sure everyone else is.'

And as the day progressed, it became clear that Scorpius was entirely correct in his assessment. In Transfiguration, along with Potions one of the only two lessons that the Ravenclaws were with the Slytherins, the pair had several pink, smoke hearts shot at them across the classroom from Anwen Nott's ferocious gang of girlfriends. Even James and Fred could not resist giving their input when the pair bumped into them in a walk around the grounds.

'The star-crossed lovers!' announced Fred, wordlessly conjuring a rose and sending it zooming between their heads.

'Don't worry,' grinned James beside him, 'I'm sure Ron will be glad to be back in the lime-light.'

'It could do wonders for the WWW business: Weasley Recipe Love Potions: As used by Rose!' suggested Fred, and through it all Scorpius maintained a light heart, and allowed himself to laugh. Over the course of the day Rose's apprehension waned, and by evening she felt quite empowered that really there need be no battle at all.

Old May 31st, 2012, 10:55 pm
Third Year

Just another little one - remember to feedback!

Chapter 31 - A Glimpse Of Paradise

And sure enough, the excitement surrounding the couple and waned almost completely by the end of the week, and the Saturday that followed promised to be one of relaxation and calm. The sun had barely warmed the light grass when Rose and Scorpius set off for Hogsmeade, their hands bound tightly together, and remaining so until they took their seats at a table in the Three Broomsticks.

'It's so strange,' said Scorpius suddenly, with a questioning look taking over his features, 'that I perhaps have more wrong in my life than I have so far, and yet I am the most happy I've ever been.' Rose's heart swelled with the smile across her face.

'Well, though my familial relations remain intact, I completely agree,' she laughed, and he planted a firm kiss on her lips, and her light fingertips stroked the nape of his neck. 'Butterbeers and OWLs and snogging; we're so grown up!'

Thus passed their light day, with no hindrance and warm glances and swinging hands and a million other little acts of love. They walked back to the castle as the sky glowed orange and took a detour along the lake, where they lay quietly in the muggy grass.

'I don't think summer will ever end,' she said, 'if we are always like this.' And the sun was in her eyes and glimmering in the strands of her wild hair.

So he kissed her cheek and lay his head lightly on her chest, and murmured under his breath, 'pillowed upon my fair love's ripening breast, to feel forever its soft fall and swell, awake forever in a sweet unrest, still to hear her tender taken breath, and so live ever-'

'Or else swoon to death,' she finished with a light stroke of his hair, 'Keats, I didn't know you read muggle books.'

'I don't,' he replied, 'but you do. I thought I'd indulge you. After all, c'est le temps que tu as perdu pour ta rose qui rend ta rose si-' but she stopped his lips with a quick kiss and the last word would never be heard. The sun and the lake and all the trees and the grass melted away at the touch of her lips, and into a perfect orange haze of warmth and eternal summer. Their peace was broken by the cry of another of Hagrid's augureys, whose harsh, high moan made them jump apart. 'Bloody bird,' he breathed, his thumb running over her spatter of freckles.

So long, so long wanting and wishing that she couldn't help but blink back a few reckless tears, and Scorpius closed her watering eyes with soft kisses. To be young and magical and very in love, in a beautiful field as the sun fell behind great mountains and the ancient castle of your ancestry looked on. That was more than enough, and if all but he were gone it would still be enough, and if he was gone and the rest remained, it would be dust. Rose knew that much. It felt like it would be forever, and they would never hate each other, and she would never die. The autumn seemed so far away.

Old June 1st, 2012, 11:36 am
Third Year

I have an absolute obsession with Patronuses/oni(?) and think that it can reveal so much about a character, and really is the key to their soul. Therefore, my characters need that revealed about them - so here we go!

Chapter 32 - The Patronus

Rain beat furiously against the old, stone walls the next day, and rendered the grounds a swamp. But it could not weigh down Rose's full heart, and she skipped down the stairs to the dungeons with a grace uncommon to her. Scorpius emerged through the passage leading to the Slytherin Common Room with a warm smile, and their hands again entangled.

'I missed you,' said Rose, grinning up at him with eager blue eyes.

'You saw me last night!' he laughed and placed his arm across her shoulder; she sank into his chest as they walked.

'I still missed you,' she said and he rolled his eyes. Their ascendance into the Entrance Hall drew a few glances, most notably from Anwen Nott, whose dark eyes bore into Rose's with a loathsome intensity. Scorpius turned them away from the onlooker, and proceeded towards the Great Hall with the rest of the Fifth Years, gathering now for a special Defence Against the Dark Arts revision session.

'What do you think it will be about?' he asked vaguely.

'Probably something useless,' she replied, 'I imagine they'll have us practise duelling again.'

'I don't think I can face that,' he sighed, 'let's skip it.'

'Are you insane?' asked Rose, her eyes alight with shock. 'Professor Flitwick said it's compulsory. It's not worth the trouble, and it could end up being useful.' He rolled his eyes again and with a light laugh followed her through the great oak doors.

Many of their peers had arrived already and were spaced out across the Hall, which had been emptied of the House tables. At the head of the room stood Professor Flitwick, scarcely visible above the rows of heads before him, and Professor Thomas, the Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher towering beside him. The last few stragglers arrived and soon silence spread across the crowd.

'Now,' pronounced Professor Flitwick, standing on his tiptoes to be seen, 'as you are aware this is a special one-off lesson in order to assist you with your Defence Against the Dark Arts OWL. Although the charm you are about to be taught is not listed on the curriculum, we believe that if mastered it will set you apart and additionally prove one of the most valuable skills we can teach you. Some of you may have guessed that the spell of which I speak is the Patronus Charm.' A wave of interest spread through the Hall; this was far more exciting than expected. 'I will allow you to create a form of shield that will take the shape of an animal specific to each one of you. This can be used to ward off dark creatures such as dementors, and, as discovered by our late Headmaster Albus Dumbledore, has the additional use of being able to transmit messages rapidly over long distances.

'But Professor Thomas and I will merely act as assistants. To teach you this, we have decided to bring in an external guest, who you could call something of an expert in this particular charm, having mastered it at the age of only 13, and taught it to his fellow students a mere 2 years later.' Rose clicked, and her eyes connected with those of Albus across the hall, who had blushed slightly. 'I am sure you will give our guest, who has taken time out of his duties at the auror department specifically to aid you, a warm welcome. It is my pleasure to introduce to you, Mr Harry Potter.' A few gasps broke from the crowd, before they were overpowered by the fierce applause and cheers as Harry stepped out from the side-door behind the teacher's table. He was in his early 40s now, and his dark hair receding and lined with grey at his ears. There were faint lines around the emerald green eyes that looked out steadily from behind his glasses. The applause seemed to unsettle him slightly, and he raised a hand to quieten it. Silence fell.

'Hi,' he said warmly, a smile taking over his thin lips, 'I can honestly say I was glad to have an excuse to come back to Hogwarts and look around and also to have the opportunity to teach a complex aspect of my favourite subject.' The eyes of the students looked up at him with pure wonder, consuming his every word. 'The Patronus Charm can be a tricky one. To master it, you have to form a thought in your mind that can lift you to real, pure happiness. It needs to overtake you and really enchant you. You then say the words, 'expecto patronum' and if your happy thought really has filled you up, you will have success.' The students exchanged slightly doubtful glances. 'Take your time and let the thought fill you up and take you away. I, De- Professor Thomas and Professor Flitwick will disperse among you, observe and step in to help you where it is needed. Don't expect to get the hang of this straight away, your ability to conjure the Patronus will in fact have very little to do with your magical ability.' With that he walked down the steps and into the students, followed by the Professors.

Rose turned to Scorpius in confusion, 'what on earth are you going to think about?'

'No idea,' he shrugged, 'I'll improvise.'

Already the students around them had their eyes clamped shut, and some further away called out the incantation to no avail. Rose too closed her eyes. She had been happy, that she knew, incredibly happy; and yet now that she was under pressure to fill her whole being with joy she felt restricted and oppressed. So she thought of Scorpius, the first time they kissed at the Leaky Cauldron. She remembered the feel of his soft, pink lips on hers, and the way he had grabbed her hair, and the joy of all her hopes coming true in a single instant. She began to remember the happiness, the excitement, and yet it felt false, and indeed she did not hope for results when she uttered 'expecto patronum' and got none.

Beside her, Scorpius had already progressed, achieving a silver wisp on his second go. Rose searched the hall, most were at a similar level to Scorpius, while other had their red faces screwed up in the effort of remembering and fabricating real happiness. She tried again with an equally poor outcome. A few metres from her a Hufflepuff screamed and jumped backwards and Rose turned to see a cloud of silver burst from the end of Violet's wand and take the unmistakeable form of a rabbit that darted through the students. There were laughs of wonder as the creature hopped above them, before vanishing in a puff of smoke.

'Wonderful!' cried Harry, reaching Violet and shaking her hand; her turquoise eyes widened in awe. 'That was a perfectly formed corporeal Patronus, congratulations Miss Boot. There will be more before long!' and the practising resumed.

Harry was right, and within minutes several other students had sent forth glimmering creatures, including Anwen, whose bright fox had sprinted right past Rose's head. As time wore on Rose became increasingly desperate, unable to find anything in her head that could equal the moment of that kiss. Next to her, with a triumphant cheer, a tall, fine stallion sprung from Scorpius' wand and reared up on its hind legs, before landing on Albus' field mice and sending it into a puff of silver smoke as it whizzed through the air.

'Rose,' said Harry from behind her, and Rose's heart sank as she turned to behold her uncle, for she was a failure in need of assistance, 'what do you think the problem is?'

'It feels fake,' she sighed, 'trying to remember and make myself happy. It doesn't feel right at all.'

'Then stop trying so hard,' he replied with a benevolent smile. 'Clear your mind; let your thoughts wander and you'll go somewhere good. It will be enough; that's what worked for me.' He stepped back and Rose again closed her eyes. She tried to forget the students who were undoubtedly watching her, tried to forget Scorpius and Harry and the whole Great Hall. And indeed, as soon as she had relaxed an image came clearly into her mind: a deep forest, lit only by the stars that shone through the treetops. She lay on the roots that formed a bed and looked up at the heavens. It was calm and cool and dark, and the sky that stretched out before her was beautiful. There was a song too, coming from a tree above, a high, bright chirp that calmed her and seemed to wrap her in the night air and carry her away.

'Expecto patronum!' she said, and jolted backwards as the burst of silver sprung from her wand. She opened her eyes to see a little nightingale spread its wings and take off above their heads. There was a collective 'ooo' from the other students as they beheld the little creature dance in the sun beams that stretched through the clouds. It flew into the gold before it dissolved.

Old June 1st, 2012, 9:28 pm
Third Year

Chapter 33 - A Funeral

Two weeks later, Scorpius trudged through the perfectly-shaped hedges and elaborate gardens of Malfoy Manor. His eyes darted around, observing his former home, as obscured by the heavy rain. It had not changed in the several months that had passed since he last entered it, but then he supposed the great, white structure had not changed for hundreds of years; it was stagnant, frozen in time. He felt a forceful sickness rolling in his stomach as he approached the doors, and had an overwhelming urge to turn back into the rain and flee, back to Hogwarts and back to Rose, but he could not, pulled by that morbid necessity for a farewell, even though the influence had been oppressive and rotten.

He thought back to the letter, arriving a week previously in Cronus' week on a warm, pleasant morning. In his mother's long, slanted handwriting it notified him of the death of his grandfather, Lucius Abraxas Malfoy, from a sudden illness that had wasted a man aged by torment. It had overshadowed the pretty morning sun, and Rose's smile, and cast a dull pall of confused emotion across the world. Scorpius had not known how to feel: grief? Surprise? Relief? Nothing had come, and he had passed into a state of quiet numbness which had bewildered and frustrated the fragile Rose. He still did not know how to feel.

When he was a few steps from the doors, they were pulled open and the face of his father revealed. Draco looked exhausted, with dark circles under his steely eyes and his thin hair greasy and untidy. The lines across his pale face looked deeper in the dull light that crept through the cloud. He nodded curtly and said nothing, and Scorpius returned the gesture before they stepped into the entrance hall of the house.

Groups of people were sparsely spread through the sterile space. He saw the Notts, Anwen stood next to her pallid, stringy father and pug-faced mother, and wondered again how beauty could come from the ugly combination; his aunt Daphne with her husband, a feline-faced man of deep mahogany complexion named Blaise Zabini; and mostly old, grey wizards, with faces of rotting bitterness and misery, who were doubtless the few of Lucius' former friends who were not in Azkaban. Finally, he saw his grandmother in reserved conversation with several of these old men; she looked little changed from their last meeting, having presented herself immaculately in robes of black velvet and assumed a unreadable, empty expression on her neatly-carved features. His father did not say another word to him, but walked over to the Notts. Scorpius did not follow him, and looking upon these people he felt only revulsion. He did not know why he had come, and now wished strongly to be gone. He did not want to talk to them, to be in their company, to feign respect for the weak, pathetic creature they were burying.

The appearance of his mother through the dining room door roused him from his thoughts. She looked beautiful, as ever, with her thick, chestnut hair knotted up and her blue eyes sparkling, but she had an air of pallor and illness, and when her eyes clasped onto Scorpius a small scream escaped her pale lips. She rushed towards him, her stately black robes having the appearance of a gliding ghost, and caught his hand in hers. Scorpius pulled it away, holding his mother's gaze coolly.

'I have to get out of here,' he snapped, but rather than turning for the door, set off up the great marble stairs. He needed loneliness and familiarity, and knew that the only place that could really be found was the bedroom in which he had passed long, tired hours of solitude. He slammed the door shut behind him and fell down on his bed, realising now how much he had missed its privacy and sanctuary, even if it was presented with ridiculous grandeur unique to the Malfoy family. But Astoria followed him in, and stood awkwardly beside the bed, looking upon him with eyes glowing with tears.

'Scorpius,' she said tenderly, loading the name with as much desperation and grief as she could.

'I don't want to hear it,' he said coldly.

'I wrote!' she cried, kneeling before him and again clasping his hands, tears now flowing freely down her cheeks, 'I wrote every day but you never replied. I'm so sorry, Scorpius, my Scorpius, I'm so sorry. I never wanted you to go. Please, please come home for the summer, please.'

He turned away towards the window, the landscape obscured by the rain banging furiously against the glass to its constant, reliable, calming rhythm. It wasn't her fault, he admitted interiorly, or at least she wasn't the worst. He could never hate her entirely when she was probably the only reason he hadn't grown up as loathsome as the rest of the Malfoys.

'But you let it happen, Mother,' he replied quietly, his gaze still fixed on the rain, and she bowed her head as sobs heaved her body, 'like you always let everything happen, and you never stop them.'

'I try, I t-try,' she protested weakly, barely forcing out the words in her choked gasps, 'you don't know how hard it is.' Scorpius' face twitched to anger again. He jumped to his feet and turned towards her.

'What's so hard? You'd let them chuck me out rather than bloody stand up and say what you think?' he said with a voice of quiet venom and handsome features contorted with desperate fury. 'Too scared to have a normal relationship with me in case it upsets their twisted beliefs of how kids should be brought up, with money thrown at them and never a hint of affection? Oh well, it doesn't matter you tried. You let them ruin my life but it's ok because you tried!' She was a snivelling wreck at his feet, shaking as sobs rattled through her body. 'Why didn't you do it for me?' He said, but his voice cracked as he slumped back on the bed, swallowing hard on the painful knot in his throat.

His mother's breathing eased, and she looked up at his with red, swollen eyes as she whispered, 'because I love your father more than anything in the world, and I fear that he would choose them- her- above me.' The sobs resumed and she crumpled to the floor again like a bird shot out of the sky. Scorpius looked at his mother through his own tears, and for an instant knew purely the pathetic core of all beings, and thus in silent pity joined her on the floor, with a soft arm around his mother's quivering shoulders.

'I will come home,' he said in her ear, and she nodded as fresh tears fell from her eyes, but could say nothing in reply.

Soon she had recuperated, and when their tears were hidden they joined the party outside in the pouring rain, with a shield charm cast over them and the grave as the dull, black casket was cast into the damp ground, and soulless words said, and no one cried. They retreated to the house for firewhiskeys and quiet, stilted conversation. Scorpius floated, largely ignored, avoiding Anwen's warm glances and exchanging the occasional look with his fragile mother, and a few polite words with his father. Soon, he announced his intention to leave and his parent's walked with his to the doors that separated them from the rain.

'Your mother told me you will return here for summer. I am glad to hear it,' said Draco awkwardly, not meeting his son's eye. Scorpius nodded.

'Write, my darling,' implored his mother, putting her arms around his and a forceful kiss on his cheek. Draco looked reproachful and Astoria checked herself slightly by resuming a cold expression. Scorpius sighed inwardly.

'I'll see you in June,' he said, and cast a last look at the pair who now seemed so bizarre to him, and walked into the heavy rain.

Old June 3rd, 2012, 5:55 pm
Third Year

Chapter 34 - And A Wedding

After Scorpius' return to Hogwarts, the remainder of term passed in a warm blur of exam panic and quiet, warm nights by the black lake with Rose. It was a happy, calm time in which hours of study could be forgotten under light kisses and the stars. The weeks rolled by with little to distinguish them apart from the growing warmth of the sun and the flowers that littered the castle's grounds. One time he even had the honour of accompanying Rose and her cousins to their monthly afternoon tea with Hagrid, which was an event free of suspicion or resentment, and he was a part of it, a part of them, a part of the great tradition of love and charm that Hogwarts had bestowed upon its young scholars for centuries past.

When the time came to bid the old castle farewell for the summer months, Scorpius found his usual grief to be assuaged somewhat at the knowledge that it did not mean cold, lonely weeks locked away in the old mansion, but long days of joyous escape with Rose, or even Lily and the whole Potter-Weasley clan he had grown so accustomed to. To set the summer off to a glorious start, its first weekend hosted the much-anticipated wedding of Teddy Lupin and Victoire Weasley, to which Scorpius was overjoyed to hear he had been invited as Rose's guest. And it was with that same joy that he wandered down to the Burrow on a sunny day at the end of June.

The house was much changed since his last visit, strewn with banners of white and silver, and an archway of entangled white flowers set out on the lawn, with rows of chairs stretching back towards the orchard. The garden was already filled with guests, their dress robes glittering in the glare of the sun. The crowd was undeniably made up of a disproportionate level of ginger heads, which at least made it harder to locate Rose. But he found her stood between her brother and another cousin Scorpius vaguely recognised as Molly Weasley, a year younger than Hugo, with thickly curled red hair and glasses. He started towards her, and they met with a light embrace and subtle kiss on the cheek. Molly eyed him somewhat suspiciously, looking ludicrous with her eyes magnified by her thick lenses.

'It's so exciting,' smiled Rose, looking pleasant in her powder blue dress robes, 'everyone's been waiting for them to get married for years now.'

'Years is hardly true, Rose,' said Molly with an uppity sniff of her nose. 'After all, Victoire is still only 22.'

'Rose, you stand corrected,' murmured Scorpius under his breath with a smirk, which earned him a sharp look from Molly, before she turned on her heel and marched back into a larger group, pulling the reluctant Hugo with her. 'Where's Lils anyway?'

'Getting ready with Victoire, Dominique and Roxy. The offer of bridesmaid was made to all us girl cousins, but me, Molly and Lucy rejected it. I didn't particularly like the prospect of tripping over on the aisle in front of everyone,' she said, blushing slightly. He brushed a strand of hair from her bright eyes.

'It's a shame,' he said gently, 'I'd have liked to have shown off my beautiful girlfriend to all of them, but at least now you're all mine.' She turned crimson and sunk towards him.

'Let's go and see Teddy,' she said, taking his hand and leading him towards the shimmering archway. For the event it would appear that the groom had been persuaded to dull his usual shock of turquoise hair to a respectable brown, though none of his playful good looks were lost for it. Upon seeing Rose he wrapped her in his lanky arms and shook Scorpius' hand warmly,

'Congratulations!' they said in unison.

'Don't speak too soon,' he said, with a mischievous grin and a wink. 'Now, you haven't seen your wonderfully reliable cousin James have you? It's just he ran off on an errand and I haven't seen him since, and I was rather fond of those rings.'

'I'm afraid not,' replied Rose, rolling her eyes at the predictability of James' behaviour, 'but we'll look out for him.' With that the young couple bid him a final wish of good luck, and joined the other guests in taking a seat. Due to Teddy's substantial lack of relatives, the guests from both sides were all mixed in together, and Rose and Scorpius took a few rows from the front next to Albus.

'I don't know what Teddy was thinking, letting James be best man,' Albus sighed, peering through the heads in search of his older brother.

'Ah, there he is!' exclaimed Scorpius, and indeed James had finally appeared beside the groom, and it was evident that all attempts to tame his wild, black hair had failed miserably.

The opening notes of a violin's melody announced the bride's emergence. And indeed, upon turning their heads all were struck by the most glorious sight. Victoire looked radiant, her pale skin emitting a brilliant, silver glow; her golden hair tumbling down her back, little lilac flowers and daisies tangled in the locks. But it was her dress that drew gasps of wonder, the light, creamy layers appearing to flutter around her in the light breeze; strands of silver thread spread down the skirt like little rivers in the brilliant sun; and the light fabric drawn in at her waist by a small, lilac string, causing it to cling lightly to her shimmering skin. Bill walked beside her, greying ponytail still in place, his own appearance improved by his daughter's beauty as her glow seemed to fade the scars that marred his features still.

Behind her came the bridesmaids, in mid-length dresses of the same floating, fabric that twirled around them, though theirs was of a soft purple. Dominique glittered like her sister, with a daisy chain crowning her pale yellow bob, while Roxanne followed, her dark skin glowing under the sun and her brown eyes shimmering like gold. Lily came last, and Scorpius' eyes could not but widen at the shocking intensity of her splendour. Her long, flaming hair was drawn back into a fishtail plait that lay softly over her shoulder, little wild flowers intermingling with the strands of fire. Her freckles were like stars of the night sky powdering her ivory skin, while her full lips were a pale pink and shimmered like wet paint, and her slender but strong body caressed lightly by that twirling purple cloth.

The four girls glided like a class of goddesses, silencing all who laid eyes on them; especially Teddy, who gazed at Victoire as if there were nothing else in the universe but that bright, bright star. When Lily passed Scorpius, and her glittering lips curved into a smirk, he could not help but smile back, caught up entirely in the beauty of this faery child with her crown of wild flowers.

Old June 20th, 2012, 6:25 pm
Third Year

Chapter 35 - Below the Stars

The last rays of sunlight were creeping below the hills when Rose grabbed Scorpius' hand and pulled him towards the dance floor. Music whistled through the air as the hundreds of guests twirled and laugh. It was not like Fleur, after all, to allow any expense to be spared. The elf wine flowed at the small, crystal tables that had been laid out below the freshly erected marquee, and in the centre of it all were Teddy and Victoire. Her golden head lay against his chest as they swayed and turned in quiet harmony; he kissed her shimmering hair.

It was not with quite so much grace that Rose and Scorpius stumbled along in their awkward dance, him laughing and her blushing as she tripped again.

'Sorry,' she mumbled with a small giggle, and he pulled her closer so she rested her head on his shoulder. 'I love you,' she whispered, before clamping her lips shut as if she had said it by accident. She pulled away to get a clear view of his face; there was uneasiness in his knitted brow and tensed jaw.

'Me too,' he said quietly, and pulled her in again, but perhaps to hide his face from her view more than anything. Rose tried to ignore the silent sadness that spread through her chest. But they danced on, and after a few more stumbles they were laughing again, and with a soft kiss which earned the wolf whistles of James and Fred, all was well. 'I think we've inflicted quite enough of our dancing on the world,' laughed Scorpius, taking her hand and pulling her back towards the table, but before they had crossed the dance floor an incredibly drunken Ron was at their side.

'Scorpy,' he slurred, wrapping an arm around the young man's shoulder, while Rose's crimson face fell into her palm. 'Now don't get me wrong, your old man is a complete scumbag,' Scorpius nodded a sent, which earned him a heavy ruffle of neatly combed hair, 'but you're alright, really.' Scorpius laughed and shook the hand that Ron extended.

'Thank you, Mr Weasley,' he said, stifling a laugh. With that, Ron wandered back into the crowd and joined an excruciatingly bad dance with the equally dishevelled George. When he was gone, Rose raised her face to reveal her mortification.

'I am so sorry,' she muttered, taking deep breaths to soothe the redness of her cheeks.

'It was hilarious!' exclaimed Scorpius, taking her face in his hands and stroking her flushed cheek with his thumb. Her pink lips extended to a shy smile. They were interrupted by Fleur, who beckoned Rose over to their party.

'You go,' smiled Scorpius, 'I need a sit down anyway.' And thus she skipped away, her blue robes waving behind her.

He set off back across the dance floor, and this time made it back to the quiet empty table, where he took a sip of his wine and watched the sparkling, humming scene. Now he had time to reflect of the strange events that had passed between himself and Rose. The declaration of love was all well and good, and indeed expected, but perhaps not this early on. They had scarcely been together a few months. It seemed to cheapen it somehow, obscure its purity. He suspected that he reciprocated it, or would certainly grow to entirely. But while Rose may through words around and be a ball of disorganised feelings, or perhaps it was because he had seen so little of it himself, to him love, real love, seemed a sacred deity. To declare it prematurely seemed a profound disrespect. He didn't want to be those who declared eternal adoration after a few dates and thought nothing of casting it aside; Scorpius wanted something real, and to say nothing more than what was true, and yet now he had ended up saying something he wasn't sure he meant at all. As much as he adored her, could it really definitively be called love so soon?

'Oi, Scorpy,' came happily familiar voice from behind him. He turned to see Lily, in all the glory of her earlier appearance, although her plait had begun to fall apart somewhat and her makeup was not quite so flawless in its application, and yet she was perhaps made prettier in the dull, flickering yellow light of the torches and candles that illuminated the party. She perched herself on the seat beside him and poured herself a glass of wine.

'Do your parents know you drink?' he asked with a mock critical eye.

'What they don't know won't hurt them.' She smirked and took a long glug from her glass. 'What are you doing being all lonesome and contemplative anyway?'

'Ooh, big word!' he grinned and she hit him with surprising force, 'Ouch! And Rose has been kidnapped by a beautiful Frenchwoman and I dared not disturb.'

'Wise choice with Fleur,' she muttered, although her words were affectionate rather than harsh. 'Well, it looks boring, so come with me!' She jumped up and skipped away from the gathering and into the gathering dark of the fields without a backward glance.

'Lily!' he called, 'Where on earth are you going?' But he followed on, through the thick, tall grass that was soon up to his knees. His only guiding light was the distant twinkling of her hair under the moonlight. Soon she had stopped in the almost absolute darkness and he drew up behind her. She turned to him but he could only just make out her silhouette.

'Watch,' she said, running away again, seeming to swoop to the ground and gather up objects in her arms. She set down the pile between them, and he knelt down with her. It was wood, as if to make a fire.

'But Lily, we can't use magic,' he warned; her laughed pierced the night air.

'Aw, Scorps, all locked up in your manor and never got to experience the great outdoors.' In each hand she picked up two small shimmering objects, and beat them together. To the shock of Scorpius, the collisions spurted small sparks, which within seconds caught onto the pile of wood and a small fire began to spread. He looked up to see that it had illuminated her face, sending a flickering orange light across her freckles. She watched the fire with wonder, the flames dancing in her eyes. 'I love fire,' she whispered, hiking up her dress and kneeling on the grass.

'Why did you come down here?' he asked.

'Because it's pretty,' she said with a happy smile. 'Fire; and you can see the stars clearer from here. If we're going to sit around doing nothing, we might as well do it somewhere pretty. Oh, and the wine!' She threw her glowing hair back and took another sip.

'I don't know anything about you, Lils,' he said, taking his own place on the grass opposite her. She looked at him curiously over the flames. 'I mean, you've spent so long sorting out mine and Rose's lives, and I know next to nothing about yours.' She laughed and shook her head vaguely.

'My name is Lily Luna Potter, named so after my maternal grandmother who was killed by Voldemort in the first war, and my parents' bonkers friend, Luna Scamander, now a noted explorer and general nutcase. I am the sole daughter of the one, the only,' how she layered on the sarcasm, 'Harry James Potter, the boy who lived and lived and lived! Therefore, I am famous, very famous. You ask me why you don't know about my life? Because it's good practise for the rest of it – you've already had a taste of it. I mean, James certainly used it to his advantage with the girls at Hogwarts, and good on you and Rose for facing up to it, for being together anyway; and I can't wait to have something that's worth fighting for like that too,' hers eyes settled steadily on the fire. 'And when I have it I'll fight them, and show them that it's my life, not theirs, whoever my dad is.' He looked at her and saw her as he had not before; gone was the silly frivolity of the girl on the broomstick, and there was Lily, with her blazing eyes filled with fire and strong, set jaw that would betray no weakness. 'Oh, and I'm fourteen and 9 months,' and her familiar grin returned. 'Will that suffice?'

But before he could reply, the grass rustled and another two figures came stumbling out of the grass towards him. By the light of the fire he could just make out their features: Rose and Albus.

'I knew you'd be down here,' said Albus, his black hair even messier than usual as he set himself down beside Lily. Rose slipped down next to Scorpius and he wrapped his arm around her shoulders; he loved her feel of her warm skin, and caught the sweet scent of her hair.

'We came down here all the time as kids,' replied Rose to Scorpius' questioning look, 'Play in the long grass, pretending it was a sea of inferi, and end up here. It's as pretty as it ever was.'

'I know,' he agreed, casting his pale grey eyes across the distant hills, glowing now under the silver moon and the burning, burning stars. He planted a kiss in the sweet red strands of her hair.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Flourish and Blotts