Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Flourish and Blotts

Choices

Old March 14th, 2013, 9:21 pm
Second Year

Choices

Prologue

April 26, 1999

Harry hadn’t been home long when the doorbell rang. It startled him, as he wasn’t expecting visitors. Seeing as not just anyone could even see the house he wasn’t too concerned. After flicking the curtains closed so Mrs. Black wouldn’t wail, he kept his wand down at his side. Old habits die hard. There was no peep hole, so he carefully pulled the door open and looked into the face of a man he didn’t recognize.

“Hi Harry,” the man was tall and a bit broad with light brown hair and a smile that seemed familiar to Harry, although he was certain he’d never seen him before. He had both hands in the air, as if in surrender, and his eyes had a soft, kind look about them. “I’m Damocles Belby.”

The name rang a bell, but he couldn’t quite place it. He didn’t point his wand, but his grip tightened.

“How did you find this house?” Number twelve, Grimmauld Place wasn’t visible to just anyone and although Harry didn’t feel threatened, he was still cautious.

“Dumbledore told me of its location four years ago. I was an Order member.”

He didn’t appear to be lying, but Harry was certain he didn’t know this man and he knew the Order members.

“I know all the Order members.”

“No,” Belby stated matter-of-fact, “you don’t.”

“Why should I believe you?”

Belby smiled a knowing smile, almost with a proud look on his face.

“It’s been almost a year Harry, but I still understand your hesitance to trust a stranger.” He scrunched up his nose as if thinking and after a moment his eyes lit up. “Not long after you fled the Burrow during the wedding, right after Scrimgeor was murdered, Remus Lupin visited you, Ron Weasley, and Hermione Granger here at this house. He offered to accompany you in your search for Horcruxes, although at the time he didn’t know exactly what you were searching for. You refused him and had an argument because he had left his wife, Nymphadora Tonks even though she was pregnant. He felt guilty for marrying her and having a child with her because of his condition as a Werewolf. He eventually returned to her,” he smiled at the end of this speech looking pleased with himself.

Harry just stood there, stunned and mouth gaping open for a long time before he finally found his voice.

“How did you know all of that?”

“Simple really,” Belby shrugged again, “Remus told me. I was in the Order and a good friend of his. Oh!” He snapped his fingers then, and pulled something from his pocket. “Sorry, forgot I brought this.” He handed it to Harry, who was too stunned to do anything other than take it.

It was a photograph. Harry felt a leap of pleasure in his chest when he realized it was Remus and Tonks on their wedding day. Remus looked happier than Harry had ever seen him look in life; the contented look on his face reminded Harry of how he looked in the Forest the night of the battle, the last time Harry had spoken with him. Harry gazed at the faces of two people he really loved and respected for a long moment. Two people whose son he was watching over now in their absence. After a moment his attention was jolted to the man standing next to Lupin; the best man. He looked up at Belby, then back and the picture and then repeated the action four times before he admitted that Damocles Belby was Remus’s best man.

“You were his best man.”

“Yes,” Belby gave a sad smile. “In the absence of James and Sirius, I was given the honor.”

He spoke of his father as though he knew him; as though he were friends with him. Harry’s curiosity was peaked and with a nod he moved aside and invited him into the house. He didn’t take him down to the kitchen, however, but motioned him into the Dining Room, which was just off the hall.

“It looks a lot better in here since my last visit,” Belby looked around appreciatively. “Kreacher a more jovial elf now I suppose?”

“Err, yes, I suppose so,” Harry still didn’t know quite what to make of this man or his visit. He held out the photograph, which Belby took, glanced at it, smiled, and secured it back in his pocket. “How come I never met you if you were in the Order? Was that when you were here? I was here often back then, but you never came when I was around.”

“Well,” Belby smiled, “I did you just didn’t see me. I never stayed for meals and I was in and out quickly after meetings.”

Harry had to concede this was a viable explanation. Although they did meet and see most of the Order, it was possible he had never met this man if he hadn’t stayed around long. Mrs. Weasley had been careful to keep them from meetings that summer.

“It’s not that I didn’t want to meet you Harry,” Belby continued, “just that Remus, Sirius, and I decided it wasn’t the best idea.”

At the mention of his godfather and Remus questions began swimming around in Harry’s head faster than he could process them.

“So, why now?” Harry asked as they sat at the table. Belby looked at his hands for a few second then back up at Harry with a serious expression.

“Well, I invented the Wolfsbane potion and I think it’s time you knew why.”

October 24, 1981

The street was quiet and calm, as tends to be the case in the early morning hours. Even with the terror of late, no one was out and about as the full moon still glittered over the tops of the trees in all its majestic glory; a man appeared as if from nowhere at the end of the alley. With quick steps he approached a house, not overly large or extravagant, but one that had the look and feel of a home. Even from the outside one could tell the inhabitants of the house loved each other and wanted to make a happy home for their family. As the dark haired man approached, he took two more glances to the left and right. He pulled a long piece of wood from the pocket of his leather jacket and pushed a lock of jet-black hair from his eyes. He reached the front door and pointing his wand from his pocket murmured something and the door swung open.

Once in the front hall he looked about him, closing the door behind him. Another point of his wand and a loud click rang throughout the house. Pointing his wand upward he spoke out loud this time.

“Protego. Muffilato.”

He entered a small sitting room and removed his jacket and conjured a silver flask from nothing and drank a long pull, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand when finished. He looked around the room and seemed to be taking in his surroundings before finally falling on the beige sofa and placed his flask on the oak coffee table in front of him. He sat that way until he heard before he saw someone approaching from the small staircase to his left.

Another man entered the room, his hair extremely messy and his silver spectacles were slightly askew on his face. He held out his own wand, pointing it directly at the man who had now risen from the sofa. The bespeckled man cocked his head to the side slightly and turned his stick in his hand. With a smirk the other man stowed his wand in his pants pocket and without a word began to shrink and turn very furry. In the blink of an eye a large black dog now sat where he had previously been standing. With a nod the bespeckled man lowered his wand and grinned.

“Padfoot?” he spoke to the dog, who was a man again. “We weren’t expecting you, is everything alright?”

The man known as Padfoot regarded his friend with a hard to read expression.

“Padfoot?”

“Sorry Prongs,” the two sat on the sofa side by side and the tension in the room was palpable. “No, everything is not alright,” they made eye contact and Padfoot shook his head. “I wish it was, but it’s not.”

“You think we should do it then?”

“I do Prongs, I don’t see any other way to keep Harry safe,” he gave a small smile, “not to mention you and Lily.”

“We’ve escaped him three times,” Prongs gave a smirk he was famous for, “but the stakes are so much higher now.”

“Much higher,” Padfoot grabbed his flask and took another long pull then offered it to his friend, who did the same. “Got your cloak back yet?”

“No, Dumbledore still has it.”

Padfoot only nodded and changed the subject.

“Did you hear me come in or were you already up?”

“I was up with Harry,” Prongs gave a rueful smile. “Having kids is tougher than a bachelor like you might think.”

“Hey, I’ve kept the little bugger! I’m a good godfather.”

“Sure, sure,” Prongs gave a small laugh. “I never said you weren’t. Feeling insecure in your place?”

“Hardly,” he gave a humorless laugh, “just insecure about my godson and his parent’s safety is all.”

The teasing in Prongs eyes faded and became a hard stare.

“I haven’t heard from him.”

“Neither have I.”

“It’s been a month.”

“Yes.”

“Has Wormtail?” Prongs seemed to almost plead with Padfoot.

“No James, he hasn’t either,” it was the use of his Christian name that seemed to break him.

“This is mad Sirius!” his voice began to rise and he began to pace the room. “How can we suspect him? He’s one of our best mates!”

“I don’t like it any more than you do,” Sirius growled, rose and grabbed his friend’s arm, stopping the pacing. “We have to think logically James! Who else could it be?” They faced each other, their breathing slightly erratic, eyes boring into each other. They didn’t see nor hear her approaching.

“I know you’re not still suggesting that Remus has anything to do with our movements being so closely watched,” her bright green eyes were angry.

“Lily,” James breathed. “I, um, didn’t hear you get up love. Is everything alright with Harry?”

“Harry is fine James,” she walked over and now stood next to her husband and across from their best friend. “I heard you two whispering down here and then I couldn’t miss the raised voices.”

“Lily…” Sirius met her eyes and something in his grey ones pulled at her heart. He looked at her pleadingly. Turing her head and meeting James’ eyes what she saw there almost made her heart stop. His hazel eyes were also pleading with her.

“I just can’t believe he would do it,” she whispered. “I mean, it’s Re—Moony.” Her voice cracked with threatening tears on his nickname.

“I can scarcely believe it either,” Sirius said.

“I don’t believe it,” James shook his head. “But I’m willing to take the chance and protect you, Lily, and Harry.”

“James, I just can’t bring myself to admit that I think he’s betraying us. Of all people I would never suspect him.”

“All the more reason to,” Sirius said sternly. “We know he’s spying on the werewolves for the Order, but who really knows what he gets up to with them?”

“Sirius!” Lily shrieked. “You’re prejudicing him just like the rest of the wizarding world!”

“This is different Lily! You’ve been in hiding for months now and the danger is greater than ever! It’s time to take action!”

“You agree with Dumbledore then?” Lily asked.

“Yes,” Sirius said flatly. “I think it’s the only way to ensure protection.”

“Will we use Dumbledore James?” Lily’s voice shook a little.

“I have some ideas about that…” James held up his hand to stop his friend from continuing.

“I just,” James looked at the floor and his voice cracked, “Are we sure about this? We’re openly saying to each other that we believe Remus John Lupin, Moony, our best mate, is capable of betraying us and our innocent child to the Darkest Wizard alive today? That’s what we’re saying?” He looked at Sirius first and then Lily. Both nodded, Sirius with a determined stare and Lily through her tears. “It seems so dishonorable, to distrust our friend.”

“I am convinced it’s him, Prongs. I really am,” Sirius took a long look out the window and then back at his two friends. He seemed conflicted, as though he was wishing he didn’t have to divulge something to them. “I became even more convinced after what happened to the McKinnons.”

Lily gasped.

“You cannot be serious,” she gave a sharp intake of breath. “You think he had something to do with that?”

“Yes,” he ignored the pun of his name for once. “Marlene was a very important member of the Order and she and her,” he gulped and looked as though this explanation was causing him physical pain, “sisters, their husbands and their parents all excellent witches and wizards. Yet in one night we lost them all. A night when no one but someone very close to them knew they would all be together,” he gave Lily a sad but pointed expression.

“You know who that would be.”

“No, he loved Elise,” Lily whispered and her crying became more pronounced. James put his arm around her, his eyes also swimming with tears.

“You really think he had something to do with their deaths?” James asked since Lily was sobbing now. At Sirius’s nod, James let out a frustrated sigh.

“I feel as though we’re no better than Voldemort, the way we’re turning on our friend so easily. It’s the height of dishonor,” he whispered.

“Look Prongs,” Sirius said firmly. “When this is all over, if it wasn’t Remus, I’ll crawl on my hands and knees begging his forgiveness. But until then, we have to think outside the box and protect the three of you.”

For several moments they just stood there, Lily crying while James hung his head to the floor in shame. His loyal brain was screaming at him to stop this madness and admit that it couldn’t be Remus, his friend and confidant. But the logical part of his brain reminded him of all the reasons Remus was the most obvious suspect, and someone was definitely betraying them to Voldemort. There was no question about that.

“We need to cast the charm soon. The sooner the better,” James’ voice took on an heir of certainty that hadn’t been there before. “Today, if possible.”

“It’s possible,” Sirius said immediately.

“Who, James?” Lily looked up to her husband while wiping tears from her eyes. “Dumbledore?”

“What about Sirius? I actually spoke with Dumbledore about using Sirius the last time I spoke with him.”

“I’m more than willing,” he said resolutely. “If that’s what you want then we can do it right now.”

“I sense from your tone that you have another idea?” James raised one eyebrow at his best mate and for a moment he pretended they were back in the Gryffindor Common Room plotting pranks against the Slytherins.

“I do,” as if reading his best mates mind his face broke into his trademark smirk and for a moment it was easy to see him as a pranking student again.

“I say we play a trick, call their bluff if you will.”

“Oh yeah? How’s that?” James asked.

“We’ll have Wormtail do it.”

Author's Note: Let me start by saying thank you so much for taking the time to read this story. It's been in my head for a very long time and the characters in it (both Ms. Rowling's and my own) are near and dear to my heart. This is a story primarily about Remus Lupin, but it isn't from his POV for the entire story. I try very hard to stick with what we know from cannon and when unsure (this is a time period we have limited knowledge of) I do my best to interpret what I think happened based on other information we have. For example, in this Prologue, we see James and Sirius planning the execution of the Fidelius Charm. I know there is a lot of debate about exactly when and how it all went down, but here is why I wrote what I did.

From the letter Lily writes to Sirius that Harry finds in DH we know that she and James were already residing in Godric's Hollow by July of 1981. We know this because she says that Bathilda Bagshot was the only guest at Harry's birthday and we know his birthday is July 31st. The Charm could not have been cast yet or Bathilda wouldn't have been able to attend the birthday. If the charm had been cast, then she would have been told of their location by Peter Pettigrew and could have given evidence that Sirius was not their secret keeper. We also know from PoA that Lily and James were killed within a week of the charm being cast. They were killed in Godric's Hollow so we can determine that they were hiding there prior to the charm, then the charm was cast and they remained there.

My apologies for the long explanation, just wanted my thinking to be understood. I will try to do my very best to keep with cannon...it's just my style. If there is anything really questionable, or if I do waiver from cannon a bit I will explain my thinking in an author's note, but I'll try and keep it from being as long as this one was.

THANKS again for reading, I hope you enjoyed the Prologue! I would love to know your thoughts. Feedback here...thanks again for reading!

Last edited by nevillesgal; March 15th, 2013 at 3:20 pm. Reason: adding Feedback link; editing
Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2013, 4:23 pm
Second Year

Re: Choices

Hello and thank you for stopping by to read this story! Thank you so much to marauderfan for her sweet feedback on the prologue. Here is chapter one. The story will be chronological from now on, beginning with the start of term the Marauders 7th year.

Chapter One: Of Heads and Prefects

September 1, 1977

The beautiful steam engine in front of her beamed as students hustled and bustled to get aboard. Although there were enough compartments for every student, the compartments weren’t overly large so finding one to fit all your friends could be a bit difficult at times. It wasn’t allowed to magically alter their size either. The Marauders had done that last year and resulted in the witch with the snack trolley being catapulted from the train like a scene from a bad muggle movie. She luckily had her wand on her and wasn’t injured, although she did turn a fascinating shade of purple when angry. The boys had started their sixth year in detention for a fortnight and had to take turns pushing the trolley on the way home to the Christmas holidays.

Elise had already said goodbye to her parents. Although a witch and a wizard they chose to let her venture onto the platform alone. Only because it was always overly crowded and seeing as it was her last year, they knew she could handle it. So with a kiss, hug and a promise to write often, Elise took off through the barrier. She now stood, gaping really, at the scarlet train in front of her. This would be the last year she would board it on September first. For a moment she pondered where she would be this time next year but soon realized it didn’t really matter. For now, she was still a Hogwarts student and she planned make every single moment of this year count.

Pushing her trolley to the side, she gave a wave of her wand and levitated her trunk and owl cage through the crowd. She passed young children saying goodbye to their parents; some looked ecstatic to be on their way to Hogwarts, others looked terrified at the thought. She pushed through the crowd as politely as she could, and once on board only had to search for a few minutes to find an empty compartment. She was early by twenty minutes; the first of her friends to arrive.

She pulled a book from her trunk and began skimming the first few pages. It was her Ancient Runes book; last year she had taken seven classes. Herbology, Ancient Runes, Potions, Transfiguration, Charms, Arthimancy, and Defense against the Dark Arts. She was considering dropping Ancient Runes this year, at the advice of her head of house, Professor Sprout. The course wasn’t required for her career path but she loved it dearly. It had been a struggle last term to keep up with all the work. She wasn’t sorted into Ravenclaw for a reason.

Elise’s thoughts were pulled from the inner debate of to drop or not to drop when the compartment door slid open and a tall boy entered with a huge grin on his face. Liam Hopkins quickly walked to her, pulled her to her feet and hugged her around the waist.

“Elise! Marvelous to see you dearie!” He said in a good imitation of Professor Sprout. They loved her but enjoyed having the occasional laugh at her expense.

“Spiffing to see you as well Liam!” Elise grinned as he stowed his trunk and settled in across from her. “Good summer?”

“Of course,” he nodded, “the best considering I spent a large portion of it snogging Lauren.”

Lauren Grimmings, a Gryffindor in their year, was his neighbor. From the sound of it, she was more than just a neighbor now.

“Really now?” She raised an eyebrow at him. While Elise knew he had been pining for her for ages, she had never shown the slightest interest in him as anything more than a friend.

“She finally came around,” the grin on his face said it all.

“Good for you,” Elise gave him a genuine smile. “Where is she then? Don’t you usually arrive together?”

“She’s just getting her sister situated in a compartment. She’s a first year you know.”

“I didn’t know she had a sister,” at that moment the door slid open again and the girl they were speaking of entered and looked at Elise a little shyly. She gave her a warm smile.

“Hello Lauren,” Elise greeted her as Liam rose and pulled her trunk in, stowing it next to his own. He gave her a chaste peck on the lips and smiled into her eyes. Elise was glad to be the only one here for that look. The others would have torn the mickey out of him.

“Hi Elise,” she spoke quietly, not what you usually expect from a Gryffindor. Elise was prevented from asking about her summer when the door slid open again, revealing one of her best friends. With a jittery sigh, Sarah plopped herself down next to Elise without even bothering to lift her trunk. She was still clutching its handle and she gave another hefty sigh.

“Alright Sarah?” Elise was concerned by her strange entrance.

“Hmm,” she was looking out the window cautiously, “what? Oh, yes, I’m fine Elise, how are you?” She was being incredibly formal and Elise gave her a look. With an almost imperceptible nod she made clear they would talk later.

“I’m fine, just chatting with Liam and Lauren.”

“Oh! Lauren! How are you both?” She was obviously surprised by the Gryffindor in the compartment. Elise tuned them out when the door opened again and Jeffery Macmillan stuck his head in. He pointed and crooked his finger at Elise.

“Let’s go Lise,” he pointed again down the hallway and only then she remembered the prefect meeting. Pulling on her school robe, she jerked it on over her jeans and jumper. She wouldn’t put on the entire uniform, but that way she’d look somewhat official if she had to patrol immediately.

The two of them chatted about their summers until a commotion from the Head’s Compartment shut them up. Even being still several compartments away, they could hear voices from within. A great number of sixth and seventh years were swarming the doors. It was then Elise noticed a familiar head among those taking in the show. Taking several big steps, she grinned and flicked her very best friend, Damocles Belby, on the back of his blonde head.

“Ow! Lisey, what was that for?” He rubbed the spot, which she doubted actually hurt, and gave her a fake pout.

“Dunno,” Elise grinned and shrugged, “just felt like it,” she put an arm around him and he laughed, hugging her back. “So, what’s the big deal here? Why all the onlookers?”

Dam grinned. “You’ll have to just go in and see. I wasn’t actually an onlooker. I was just on my way to the meeting is all and got caught in the crowd. I will say this though,” he grinned and wiggled his eyebrows up and down, “it’s going to be a very interesting year.”

Elise was about to respond when a voice from the compartment stopped her; said voice eliciting a loud laugh from Dam. Elise rolled her eyes at her friend and pulled out her wand. Using it to punch the non-prefects observing the scene out of the way, the pair of them finally got through. Jeff, who hadn’t stopped to chat with Dam, was already seated in the compartment, his arms folded over his chest and a cheeky grin on his face. Elise made to sit by him but Dam pulled her arm, leading the way to a spot on the front row.

Sitting down they tuned in to the voice that was heard from the hallway; a voice that belonged to the new Head Girl, Lily Evans. She was lecturing a boy almost a head taller than her, who had jet black hair that was perpetually messy and wore wire spectacles. He was grinning like an idiot.

“…I don’t believe you Potter. There is just no way Dumbledore would have made you Head Boy. Remus,” she turned to the boy on the other side of Dam, “give me your Prefect badge. I know the two of you must have made a switch.” Remus shrugged and pulled off his badge and placed it in her hand with a grin. “Now for that badge you’re claiming is yours Potter,” she held out her hand. James Potter, the messy-haired, bespeckled boy, handed over his badge as well. The two boys exchanged a glance that made clear both were trying not to laugh.

Lily took both badges in her hands and inspected them for a moment. She then turned and held the Head Boy Badge out to Remus, who shook his head of sandy colored hair.

“Not mine Lily,” he smiled apologetically, “sorry.”

“Remus John Lupin you take this badge!” She insisted.

“Whoa, you got middle-named Remus,” Dam laughed, “better take it.”
From the look on Potter’s face, Elise felt certain something was up. You had to be on your guard when anything strange or suspicious went on around the Marauders. Remus smiled tentatively and reached for the badge with HB emblazoned on it. As soon as his fingers touched the metal his hand shot back.

“It shocked me!” He exclaimed. “Bloody hell, the thing actually shocked me!”

“Potter! What did you do to his badge?” Lily rounded on James and those standing by tensed up, slightly scared of the fire in her eyes. James however, looked amused and calm. He reached for the badge, which was now on the floor at Remus’s feet. With a swift movement he picked it up and attached it to his robes.

“I didn’t do anything to his badge,” he indicated the Prefect badge in his hand, which he held out to his friend, who took it. “This one is his.” He now indicated the one fashioned to his chest. “This one is mine Lily. I’m Head Boy; you’re just going to have to deal with it.”

“Dumbledore must have placed a jinx on the badges so they would burn anyone else who tried to claim them,” Dam said. “Remember last year when Vance Gibbon tried saying his Head Boy badge had been stolen?” The others groaned and rolled their eyes. “As if Dumbledore would have appointed him. I bet he jinxed the badges to keep that from happening this year.”

Lily looked around wildly as if expecting someone to pop up laughing at the joke of James Potter, one of the biggest trouble makers in the school, being appointed Head Boy. Her eyes landed on Elise and lit up.

“Elise?” Her voice was a little too sweet and Elise saw her idea before she spoke it. “Would you trade badges with me for a second? When you don’t get burned we’ll know that Dumbledore didn’t jinx the badges, but Potter here did as a prank.”

Knowing she wasn’t going to shut up about it, Elise sighed and relented. From the look Remus gave her, she was about to get a shock so she braced herself. The moment Lily’s badge touched her fingers a shock shot through her arm, forcing the badge to drop whether she wanted it to or not. Gritting her teeth together and trying to shake it off, Elise let her eyes lock on Lily’ and saw a very real panic within those emerald irises.

“B—b—b---ut,” she stammered and for a second Elise saw genuine hurt flicker across James’ face. He shook his head and cleared his throat.

“Alright, show’s over,” he pointed his wand at the door of the Head’s compartment and it shut rather loudly. “Prefects, have a seat. We’ll keep this as quick as possible,” he pointed at Lily. “As has been proven by our antics up here,” he gave a sad little smile and ran his hand through his jet black hair, messing it up even more than normal, “I am James Potter, the Head Boy. This is Lily Evans, the Head Girl. We are both from Gryffindor House…”

He continued talking and Lily finally seemed to come out of her shock and joined with the induction of the new prefects. Seeing as the rules and regulations were exactly the same as the previous years, Elise tuned them out after about five minutes. Dam, also tuned out, kept fiddling with the clasp of his wizarding watch he’d received from his parents for his seventeenth birthday. She zoned back in and giggled when Remus smacked Dam on the back of the head and told him to stop.

Once the meeting was over, everyone began to clear out but Elise hung back with Dam, who was talking with James and Remus. Lily left immediately after the meeting, rolling her eyes as James reminded her they had a meeting with Dumbledore following the start of term feast.

“Thanks for shocking me, by the way,” Elise glared at James.

“Ouch McKinnon, that smarts,” he covered his eyes, pretending her glare was painful. “As for the shocking, you can blame Miss Evans for that one. She is so stubborn,” he frowned.

“You knew she wouldn’t believe you,” Remus shrugged.

“True,” he shook his head, “still not sure what I ever did to make her hate me so much.”

It looked like Dam and Remus both wanted to say something, but neither did because at that moment two other boys entered the cabin. The first was the best looking boy in their year, probably the entire school. Sirius Black was James’ best friend and part of the most popular crowd at school.

“Is Evans still alive?” Sirius asked with a grin.

The other boy who walked in with him, Peter Pettigrew, laughed as though what he’d said was the funniest thing ever. Elise rolled her eyes, wondering not for the first time, how Peter was friends with James and Sirius. He didn’t have the popular air the other two had, but was very close to them, as was Remus. While the latter also lacked the popular aura that oozed from James and Sirius, Remus was smart and good-looking, albeit a bit sickly from time to time. He was also one of the kindest boys in the school, and it was easy to understand Lily assuming he would have been Head Boy. He seemed the type more so than James.

“You were right Padfoot,” James shook his head and Sirius let out a laugh that sounded a lot like a bark. “She made us switch badges and Remus got shocked.”

“I’m such a good friend to you Prongs,” Remus feigned pain, “taking a shock like that!”

“It didn’t hurt that much,” Elise rolled her eyes for what felt like the hundredth time since arriving to the meeting. At her words Sirius, who had his back to her, whirled around, surprised.

“How would you know?” He asked suspiciously. Elise fought the urge to roll her eyes again.

“She made me switch badges with her and when I touched hers it shocked me,” she shrugged and then remembered what James had said earlier. “It was you that shocked me! You jinxed the badges didn’t you? Not Dumbledore?” All the boys but James laughed; he just shook his head.

“I still can’t believe she thought I would have stolen Remus’s badge.”

“Sounds like something you’d do to me,” Dam shrugged. Again all the boys but James laughed. James gave Dam a look and shoved him so he stumbled over one of the chairs. This only made them all laugh again, James included this time.

“Not to mention, it was you who jinxed them, not Dumbledore,” Elise added.

“You’re pretty smart and mouthy for a Hufflepuff,” Sirius gave Elise a once-over. “Who are you again?”

This time it was Dam’s turn to roll his eyes. He opened his mouth but Remus beat him to the punch.

“She’s Elise McKinnon Padfoot,” he spoke as if to a child, “you know, Dam’s best friend?”

Sirius looked at Elise again and seemed to just really notice who she was. “Ah yes,” he grinned, “I do think we’ve met before.”

“Yes,” Elise gave a patronizing sigh, “a fair few times.”

She looked at the five boys surrounding her. Ever since Dam made friends with the lot of them her life had changed. Dam, the most popular boy in school aside from James and Sirius, hadn’t liked this particular group of Gryffindors until after Christmas fifth year. He never really told her how they came to be friends, just said something vague about holiday bonding. He would never drop Elise as a friend, however, and even though until then she’d never actually spoken to any of them he pulled her along for the ride. She still tried to keep out of their way, really only talking to them occasionally in class. Dam had changed since befriending them; something the Ravenclaws he shared a dorm with liked to point out.

“I’m hungry,” Dam announced. “Lisey, want to find the trolley and get a snack?”

“Sure,” she made for the door and tuned out the final words Dam said to James and Company. She began to scan for the trolley. Once Dam came out they walked the train, finally finding the trolley at the very back. Dam treated Elise to a box of Bertie Botts and got himself more chocolate than should be consumed by three people, much less one. She just laughed as the train sped on.

Thank you for reading! Just for clarification, I looked up how to pronouce Damocles and most sources say it's DAHM not DAMN at the beginning...just didn't want you to think they were practically swearing every time they called his name. I so appreciate you reading...if you've got a moment I'd love to read any feedback you have. The feedback link is in my siggy. Thanks again!

Old March 25th, 2013, 9:07 pm
Second Year

Hello, hello! Thank you so much for stopping by to read this story. Thank you so very much to marauderfan and Baarney for leaving feedback. Here is chapter two...it's a bit long, but I couldn't find a great place to seperate it.

Chapter Two: Timetables and Defense Reviews

The sorting was over; Hufflepuff house had gained eleven new students, five boys; six girls. They seemed much smaller than Elise remembered being at that age, but they were all sweet as she and Liam showed them to their dormitories. They made her think of her eldest nephew, Harrison, who would be starting at Hogwarts in only four years. It was hard to believe that; seems as though he’d just been born.

Thinking of him, she couldn’t help but wonder where he’d be sorted. Her entire family was all Gryffindors; she was the only one sorted into another house. Her married sisters all married Gryffindors and it had come as a shock when Elise had been sorted elsewhere. Her brother-in-law, Greg, was the first to send her an owl exclaiming how proud he was of her. She had cried when she read how he felt they should have all seen it coming; sweet and hardworking, Elise was loyal to a fault and he wrote that she was Hufflepuff personified. He had always had a slight flare for the dramatic, but seeing as he was practically her older brother (he’d married her eldest sister, Felicity, when Elise was only six) his words of love and encouragement had given her the push she needed to love her Hogwarts house. It was the unusual sorting that had drawn her to become such good friends with Sarah.

Sarah Travers was also the first in her family to be sorted into Hufflepuff. Unlike the McKinnon’s, however, the Travers were livid at her sorting; every other member of her family had been sorted into Slytherin. Her brother, Sylvester, had been extremely angry after Sarah became a member of Hufflepuff house. Elise remembered her older sister, Marlene, telling her that he’d kept Sarah in the Great Hall and demanded she be resorted. Marlene had been Head Girl that year and had witnessed his demanding McGonagall pull the sorting hat back out. It was the first time Marlene had ever talked to him out of class.

The night of their sorting, Sarah, having been refused a resorting, was crying on her bed. Sylvester had blamed her for being in Hufflepuff and had stormed from the Great Hall in a fit of rage. Elise had crept over to her bed and sat on it. When she wasn’t asked to get off, she had rubbed Sarah on the back as her mother and sisters had done for her when she would cry. She couldn’t say for certain how long she sat like that, but their new dorm mates had all gone to bed before Sarah sat up. That night a bond formed between the two girls.

The following morning, Elise was awestruck to see her sister Marlene enter the Great Hall with a very attractive boy. She watched Sarah’s eyes also widen as the pair of them approached the Hufflepuff table and Sylvester apologized (somewhat grudgingly) to his sister. He made a comment about being careful of the friends she made and he had pointed to Elise, deeming her alright because of her pureblood status. Marlene had rolled her eyes and pushed him away, the two separating to their House tables. Two weeks later they were an official couple, their little Hufflepuff sisters caught up in the romance of it all.

Elise couldn’t help but smile at the memories of that time. Elise glanced at Sarah, who was unpacking her trunk but was being unusually quiet. Seeing that their dorm mates were all engrossed in their own unpacking or gossiping, she quietly sat on Sarah’s bed.

“Alright Sarah?” She said quietly. Sarah looked up and smiled a bit sadly.

“Sure,” she pulled a pair of books from her trunk and placed them on the table beside her bed. “Just a long summer,” she puffed out some air, blowing her fringe slightly.

“Oh? Not good then?”

“Not really good or bad,” Sarah shrugged and seemed to really think about her next statement, “just beginning preparations for life beyond Hogwarts and all that comes with that.”

“What do you mean?” Sarah had never been very ambitious and Elise had never heard her say much about what she wanted to do. Even during fifth year Sarah hadn’t had much to say about her Career Meeting with Sprout, just that she was glad she would be able to drop some classes going forward.

“Nothing really, just working with my mother on different things,” she waved her hand dismissively. “I still haven’t picked a career. I really just want to be a mother.” She shrugged and yawned.

“I know and I think that’s great, but wouldn’t be good to plan on something just until that happens?” Elise asked as she moved to her own bed.

“Maybe,” Sarah said evasively and shrugged again, “I’m not going to worry for now. I’m dead tired and we’ve got classes tomorrow morning. Let’s go to bed.”

“Alright,” Elise said uncertainly, feeling sure Sarah was leaving something out purposely. “You know I’m here for you if you need me, right?”

Sarah looked at her properly for the first time and gave Elise a genuine, albeit sad, smile.

“I know Elise,” she crawled under her covers, “and thanks for that.”

“You’re welcome,” Elise also got into bed, “good night Sarah.”

“Night Elise.”

Dam was waiting at the top of the stairs when Elise and Sarah came up for breakfast the following morning. He greeted them both, throwing his arms around Elise’s shoulder as he escorted them to the Great Hall. He was chatting about his first night back in his dormitory, going on about what a prat Bertram Aubrey was.

“You just now noticing he’s an annoying git?” Sarah smirked at Dam. Although the two tried to get along for Elise’s sake, neither particularly cared for the other.

“I reckon I am,” Dam shook his head, “not sure how I missed it before to be honest.”

“You were too caught up in being his mate,” Sarah said in a sing-song voice. “You didn’t notice before because you got on well with him. From what I hear since you took up with the marauders you’ve dumped all your other friends.” She said the word marauder as if it tasted bad. Dam turned on her and glared.

“Not true Travers. I’d never dump Elise,” he pulled her protectively by his side and Sarah rolled her eyes. “Roll your eyes all you want…” he muttered something at the end that neither girl could make out.

“I’ve never understood the weird bond you two have,” Sarah sounded bitter and Elise gave Dam a pleading look. She really didn’t want them to get into a row on the first day of classes.

“It’s not weird,” Dam retorted, although his tone had softened considerably.

“Anyway,” she kept walking to the Hufflepuff table when they reached the Ravenclaw table. “I’ll save you a seat Elise,” and she turned on her heel and practically stalked to the bench. She took a seat with her back to them and everything in her body language as she added porridge to a bowl was nettled.

“Dam,” Elise verbally pleading now, “Could you please just not antagonize her?”

“Me? She was the one making adverse accusations about my character.”

“I’m not saying she wasn’t a bit out of line, but please? Just try and be civil.”

“Anything for you, Lisey,” he winked at her. “Come show me your timetable after Sprout’s been around.”

“I will,” she turned to her table but gave him a smile over her shoulder, “and thanks Dam.” He winked again and sat beside Templeton Edgecombe, who he seemed to still get on with. She sat by Sarah, who passed her the pumpkin juice without a word. Elise sighed. “Sarah could you please not provoke Dam?”

Sarah rolled her eyes and huffed, “He needs to watch what he says to me, not the other way around.”

“He basically said the same thing about you,” Elise felt more irritation with Sarah than she had with Dam and she wasn’t sure why.

“Of course he did,” Sarah muttered.

“Sarah please!”

“Fine, I’ll put on my sweetest smile for your little boyfriend.”

“He’s not my boyfriend,” Elise whispered. It was something many of their classmates didn’t understand. How she and Dam could be just friends. It was often why none of Dam’s relationships ever panned out; the girls couldn’t get over his being close to Elise.

“Oh, right,” Sarah said sarcastically. Elise gritted her teeth and decided to just stop arguing about it. She couldn’t make them like each other and might as well stop trying.

Across the Great Hall, the marauders had just entered the room, minus James. He and Lily were having a somewhat heated discussion in the Common Room about some head business and the others were no fools. When Lily saw red they got out of there as quick as they could; Sirius giving James a shrug on the way through the Portrait Hole.

“Evans is going to be a bloody pain this year,” Sirius declared, piling sausage on his plate.

“That’s not nice Padfoot,” Remus said dully. They were all admittedly tired; the first night back was always one of very little sleep. He was already looking forward to sleeping in the next day.

“Maybe not Moony,” Sirius said through a bite of food, “but you have to admit she’s being silly. Corning him on our way to breakfast? What could have gotten her knickers in a twist so soon? She saw him at midnight after they finished patrolling!”

Remus just shrugged and sipped some breakfast tea, a favorite of his. The boys all looked up when Liam Hopkins and Lauren Grimmings arrived, the latter kissing his girlfriend before sitting at the Hufflepuff table. Lauren sat at the Gryffindor table, her back directly facing Liam’s back.

“So Grimmings,” Sirius called down to her, “when did you start dating that tos...”

“Don’t finish that Sirius Black!” Lauren snapped at him. “My love life is none of your business whatsoever!”

“Calm down,” Sirius said defensively. “If I have to watch you snogging and sitting back to back like star crossed lovers I think it is my business.”

“You thought wrong,” she sent him a glare and turned her body away from him completely to talk to Jill Osprey, one of her dorm mates.

“What happened in their room last night?” Sirius asked Peter, who made a poor attempt at a joke which earned him a piece of toast thrown at his face by Remus. “Honestly, first Evans and now Grimmings…” for the second time that morning he didn’t get to finish his sentence.

“Perhaps if you called us by our given names instead of our surnames we’d be less cranky,” Lily said, having just arrived a few steps ahead of James. She smacked him lightly on the back of the head and then continued to on down the table to sit next to Francie Waters and across from Lauren. James and Remus both laughed, as did all the girls, Lauren giving Sirius another glare for good measure.

“It’s not funny,” Sirius rubbed the back of his head which only made James and Remus laugh harder, Peter joining in.

“Good thing we made it before McGonagall came around,” James scooped some eggs from the bowl in front of him and Remus passed him the plate of toast. “Somehow I reckon she wouldn’t care if we are Head Boy and Girl, she’d be put out if we missed her assigning of the timetables.”

This launched the boys into a discussion of which classes they were going to be continuing on with for their final year of school. Peter had taken the fewest classes last term so his options were pretty much to carry on with them. James and Sirius, both clever and well skilled, thought of taking everything the same except dropping Care of Magical Creatures.

“I like the subject well enough,” James said, “but between my Head duties and Quidditch I just need to drop something. I’m not planning to do anything with animals later in life anyhow,” he shrugged.

“I’m thinking of dropping Runes, just so I can focus on other things,” Remus said. He was the only one who took the subject and his friends were surprised to hear he was thinking of dropping it.

“Really?” Sirius said through a mouthful of eggs. “I thought you loved that class Moony!”

“I do,” Remus sighed, “but let’s face it; I’m not going to be using it. Not that I’ll be using much of anything, really,” he sighed and look a long drink from his pumpkin juice.

“Stop talking like that,” James insisted, “you’re going to find your niche Moony. Someone is going to hire you for who you are. You’re extremely talented and anyone who can’t see the forest for the trees doesn’t deserve to employ you!”

Remus just smiled at his friend, who was probably his biggest supporter. Peter never really knew what to say, and Sirius, coming from a staunch Pureblood family knew what life would be like for Remus once he left school. Being a werewolf would hinder his employment options severely. James, although also a Pureblood, grew up with a family who loved and accepted others. Although not nave, James still thought the best of the World. Remus knew he’d never stop encouraging him, even once he truly realized how hard life was for a werewolf. No, James Potter would always see his friend for who he was, not what he was. Add his high expectations for others and it was easy to see why James constantly tried to put a positive spin on the situation.

“Don’t drop it Moony,” Sirius stated firmly. “You love it and there is no reason not to take it. This is it mate, our last year.”

“I agree,” James said as they saw McGonagall coming, “don’t give up something you really like.”

He simply smiled again and mused over their arguments. McGonagall assisted the sixth years first, sending them off with their new O.W.L. results to the classes that would truly shape their futures. She then went to Lily and the other girls and finally arrived at the marauders. She eyed them for a moment before going over Peter’s timetable with him. She came to Remus last, the other three gulping down the last of their pumpkin juice and waiting for him.

“Mr. Lupin, I assume you’ll carry on with everything from last term? All your marks are good,” she didn’t smile at him, but she looked mildly pleasant, which is something from the stern schoolmarm. He saw James and Sirius looking at him, the former nodding and smiling with encouragement.

“Yes Ma’am,” he couldn’t help but smile as James and Sirius made strange celebration faces at him.

“Very well,” his Head of House waved her wand and passed him the parchment that showed his schedule. As it was Friday, first thing he had a double lesson of Defense. He was certain James and Sirius would have it as well.

“Let’s go,” the black haired boy grabbed both his and Remus’s bag, “we don’t want to be late for the new Professor.”

“Why not?” Sirius lazily got up. “Might as well get him well acquainted with us from the very beginning.”

“I heard that Mr. Black,” McGonagall looked at him over the top of her glasses. “If I hear of you being consistently late for classes you’ll have to answer to me.”

Sirius grinned and gave her a thumbs up, to which she shook her head and left, probably to make it on time to teach her first Transfiguration class of the year. It was then the boys noticed Lily, who was standing not far away.

“Alright Evans?” Sirius said and earned a look from James.

“Do you need something Lily?” James asked politely.

“Yes,” she eyed Remus, Peter, and Sirius. “Could I have a word with you in private please?”

“Sure,” he smiled and ran his hand through his already messy hair. “Go on,” he nodded to Remus and Sirius. “We’ll be along in a minute.”

Sirius shrugged and they left. Already gone from the Great Hall, Dam and Elise had a similar schedule and were on their way to their first lesson. Elise was sad that she only had Potions, Charms, and Herbology with Sarah. Elise wanted to be an Apothecary, and Sarah was undecided.

So, that morning found Elise and Dam heading to Defense Against the Dark Arts. It was the first time in all her years at Hogwarts that Elise had DADA first. It was usually later in the day, but it was doubled that morning. Once they reached the classroom she spotted some the other Hufflepuffs taking the class and waved. She received a wave back from Lynna and David, but Napoleon Smith just gave her a very haughty nod and Raine and Vera were too busy gossiping to notice her friendliness. They took seats next to some of Dam’s fellow Ravenclaws.

“Is it weird that I sit with you and not my own house?” Elise asked him pulling parchment and quills from her bag. She was thinking of Sarah’s accusations from breakfast and for the first time was giving thought to how much time she spent with Dam.

“Not to me,” he laughed.

“Me neither,” a voice from behind them chimed in and a turn of her head revealed Remus Lupin. Remus came around and sat at the table in front of them, earning some glares from the Ravenclaws. He smirked at them and gave a cheeky little wave. Sirius, right behind Remus, laughed and made a scene about choosing his seat and then looked at Elise.

“Honestly, most Hufflepuffs are a bit, well, puffy! So I don’t blame you wanting to sit with Dam at all,” Sirius said with a laugh. Elise gave him a glare, unable to fight the annoyance she felt as his making fun of her house. She wondered, not for the first time, how Dam was friends with the marauders. Sirius just laughed at her glaring face.

“No offense, McKinnon,” he gave a cheeky little wave.

“Just ignore him Elise,” Remus said and shoved his friend, who wasn’t expecting it and almost fell from his chair. They all laughed as Sirius regained his balance and shot a glare at Remus, who simply smirked back at him. James and Lily joined them then, the latter giving Elise a friendly smile and wave before she went a few rows up to sit by her friend Francie Waters. Liam and Lauren came in then, Liam waving to Elise before sitting down behind Lily.

“What was the new Professor’s name again?” Sirius was asking James as the rest of the class filed in. Elise noticed that James was watching Lily as she and Francie traded quills and laughed about something.

“Um,” James shook his head and focused on his friend, scrunching up his face and seemed to be concentrating which made Dam laugh.

“I think his name is Fenwick,” Dam filled in for James, a smirk on his face. Sirius nodded and seemed about to say something when he stopped because the Professor had just come in the room.

“Good morning,” he said pleasantly and flicked his wand at the blackboard, where his name appeared in neat, blocked letters. “I’m Professor Fenwick,” Dam gave a smug nod and the Marauders snickered. The Professor’s eyes landed on them momentarily and it looked as though he was attempting to suppress a smile. “I know you’ve had a lot of teachers for this subject, but I feel pretty secure in saying I’ll be the last one you have.” He earned a lot of smiles and a chuckle from a few students. “We’re going to spend the first month reviewing material since the subject matter is extremely important for both your N.E.W.T exams and practical use. Since your education in it has been haphazard at best, I think the revision will be beneficial.”

Elise liked him immediately. He had an air of friendliness and a calmness in speaking that she found easy to listen to, as well a sense of humor. Within the first few minutes of class it was obvious that he wouldn’t be giving a lot of detentions and he had a rapport with his students no other teacher could boast of.

“Now let’s move on to questions that appeared on the theory portion of your O.W.L.s…”

For the first hour the class listened as he named off the different subjects they would be reviewing, jotting down a note here or there if necessary. They would delve deeper into the subjects over the course of the first month, revisiting and practicing both theory and practical. When he brought up fighting off a boggart a thrill went through Elise. She had really enjoyed that lesson back in third year and had never had the chance to use it again.

She heard a scuffle of papers and a focused on what he’d written on the board. Werewolves. Of course, there had been a theory question on the written O.W.L.s on the subject.

“I don’t see why we need to review werewolves,” Severus Snape was saying with a sneer on his face. “Anyone who’d be stupid enough to be around one will just end up one themselves after they’re bitten. Unless they’re dead of course.”

Elise felt Dam tense up beside her and saw James and Sirius glaring at the Slytherin murderously. Her own indignation rose in her throat and before she could stop herself she was scoffing at him and speaking.

“Have you ever actually met a Werewolf Severus?” She said scathingly, knowing he hadn’t. He narrowed his eyes and opened his mouth but Elise didn’t give him time to respond. “Yes, I thought not. If you had you’d realize that their plight is neither wanted or something they have any control over.”

She was on an uncharacteristic roll and only barely registered Dam’s mouth hanging open, while James and Sirius gawked at her. Remus Lupin’s face was slightly red, and Elise noticed Lily Evans nodding her head and glaring at Snape.

“Since you seem to know so much McKinnon,” Snape spat her surname, “please enlighten the rest of us to how misunderstood the foul creatures are.”
Elise swung around and faced him head on, only now realizing Professor Fenwick had moved to stand between them, but he was also looking at her with interest.

“Fine,” she spat right back, “I knew a werewolf once. He was the sweetest man, but a muggle.” There were several gasps around the room. Snape rolled his eyes.

“Muggles can’t be werewolves,” he said scathingly.

“Yes they can,” Elise rolled her eyes this time, “it’s extremely rare to come across one but it is possible.”

“Oh really? How’s that?” Snape sneered.

“When a person is bitten by a werewolf, if the wolf doesn’t kill them, they’re close to death. Only a person with magical abilities is likely to survive because he or she can use their magic to transport themselves to St. Mungos to receive medical attention. A muggle doesn’t have that option and usually just dies.”

“So you knew a super-human muggle, did you?” Another sneer from Snape.

“No, but my father, who is a wizard, happened across a muggle man in just such a state and was able to get him medical attention so he survived.”

“How did your father come across someone bitten by a werewolf?” This from Lily Evans, who startled Elise enough to break the glare she was giving Snape.

“He is always careful to keep us inside on the full moon, as I’m sure all wizard parents are,” Elise noticed Dam and Remus both wince slightly at this statement, but she dismissed their reaction and kept talking. “Our home backs up to a forest so we’ve always been careful of magical creatures that might be living there.”

Snape snorted. “Don’t you mean dark creatures?” He sent a glare at her and then moved his gaze to the Marauders.

“No,” Elise spoke slowly as though to a child, “I mean magical creatures. I understand that werewolves are dangerous and shouldn’t be approached when they’re transformed, but are they really dark creatures? It’s not as though they asked for their plight.”

“Elise makes a good point,” Lily spoke up again her eyes flicking to Elise, then over the Marauders, and finally resting sadly on Snape. “No werewolf asks to be one.”

“They’re still dangerous though,” Ardan Mulciber chimed in, “and not fully qualified wizards.” At his words Sirius and James both jumped to their feet, wands raised. Professor Fenwick, who was clearly paying attention but had decided to let them have their little discussion, shook his head at the boys.

“Wands away you two, we’re talking, not cursing.”

Both boys rolled their eyes, but lowered the wands, James glaring at Mulciber.

“Werewolves are just as capable of being qualified wizards. A bite doesn’t take away their wand or their magic,” James said through gritted teeth.

“It should,” Snape sneered again and his mouth cracked into an evil grin when Sirius and James pulled their wands again and Fenwick walked to their table.

“Boys wands away now; pull them again and I’ll take points away.”

“Ohhh, can’t lose points now Mr. Head Boy, can you?” Drake Avery spoke up now. The other Slytherins all snickered but with a look from the Professor they got themselves under control.

“Elise,” Fenwick turned to her, “what happened with the muggle man? I must say you’ve garnered my interest with this story.”

“Oh,” she blushed a bit under his kind gaze, “well, as I said, Daddy took him to St. Mungos and he was treated. Daddy was Head of the Obliviator office so he called in some other ministry officials and they all decided he would have to keep his memory in-tact. It wouldn’t do for him not to remember it, since he would be changing every month. My father had a building constructed on our property where he could transform and be unable to get out, to keep everyone in our area protected. He lived down the lane from us, you see.”

“The ministry approved of his knowing about the Wizarding World?” Sirius seemed to doubt her.

“They didn’t really have much choice, but once he was told everything he was so scared it was obvious he wasn’t going to go blabbing. He was terrified for his family and was ever so grateful for the help my father gave him,” Elise felt a rush of sadness and bid herself not to cry. “He lost everything because of the bite. His wife watched him come and go from the building behind our house and accused him of having an affair with my mother. In the end, she left him and took his children with her. Although he wasn’t a danger to them unless it was the full moon, he conceded that it was for the best and they were safer without him. My dad tried to convince him to fight for her and their relationship, but he wouldn’t. He died five years after his bite. His non-magical body just couldn’t handle all the transforming.”

The room was silent and Elise felt Dam squeeze her hand. She wiped tears from her face; tears she had hoped wouldn’t come.

“What a fascinating story,” Professor Fenwick looked thoughtful. “What do you all think? Should he have fought for his family?”

“Absolutely,” James said without hesitation. “Mr. McKinnon had obviously provided a place for him to transform that ensured no harm could come to others when he was in his werewolf form. There was no reason for him to fear for their lives.”

“What if he hadn’t been able to get to the room on time one full moon?” Bertram Aubrey countered. “How could anyone live with themselves if they harmed their family in such a way?”

“It wouldn’t have really been him harming his family though,” Elise said sadly.

“How did you come to that conclusion?” Snape said sarcastically.

“It’s not the human mind during the full moon, is it? At that point the person you are is gone and another being is calling the shots for one night. A werewolf and the person they are when the moon isn’t full are different,” Elise said and earned a “hear hear” from Sirius and an appreciative nod from James.

“She’s right you know,” Dam said quietly. “Being bitten by a werewolf doesn’t take away one’s humanity.”

Mulciber whispered something and they all snickered again, but the discussion had taken up the rest of the class period. With a promise to resume the review the following class, Fenwick dismissed them.

Elise had a free period next but Dam had to go to Care of Magical Creatures. He left with Remus to meet up with Peter, as both of them were also in that class. She decided to head to the library and get a head start on reading for DADA. Fenwick was right, their education in that subject was deficient and it was already a hard class for her. She would need all the reviewing she could get.

Thank you so much for reading! I would love any feedback you might want to share---good or bad. The link is in my siggy. Thank you!

Last edited by nevillesgal; March 25th, 2013 at 9:10 pm.
Old April 9th, 2013, 3:51 pm
Second Year

Hello! I just wanted to let everyone who might be interested know that I will not be continuing with this story. With the forums closing this summer I just don't see any way I can be finished by July. I may post this story to another site, so if you're interested in that, please Owl me and I'll let you know. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. I appreciate it so much! I will definitely miss these forums. They have been my Harry Potter "home" for a long time. Cheers!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Flourish and Blotts