Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Hermione's Family (Do they know she is a witch?)

Old August 29th, 2007, 5:39 pm
Third Year

Re: Hermione's Family (Do they know she is a witch?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by auricachan View Post
Hermione's parents probably know, since she was sent the letter and all, but I doubt that her parents told their other relatives. And I'm sure Hermione's parents won't play much of a big role in the series, anyway. They'll stay as they are - side characters.
Well of course her parents know, they were there at Diagon Alley, because Mr.Weasley wanted to go and ask them questions.

Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2007, 8:49 pm
Third Year

Yh it's quite obvious that her parents knew that she was a wicth. I mean they were in Diagon Alley! Plus they don't strike me as the 'Dursely' type that don't acknowledge the magic, but more of as they're proud that their daughter is a Witch.
It does surprise me though of how little time she spends with her family, is hardly every with them during holiday. I'm guessing the parents tell the uncles, aunts and rest that she goes to a boarding school. It's the only way to explain the unbelivably large amount of time that she's away from her family

"Has Ron saved a goal yet?" asked Hermione.
"Well, he can do it if he thinks no one is watching him," said Fred, rolling his eyes. "So all we have to do is ask the crowd to turn their backs and talk among themselves every time the Quaffle goes up on his end Saturday."
- PeerlessKid -
Old August 29th, 2007, 9:01 pm
Deslumbrante

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeerlessKid View Post
It does surprise me though of how little time she spends with her family, is hardly every with them during holiday. I'm guessing the parents tell the uncles, aunts and rest that she goes to a boarding school. It's the only way to explain the unbelivably large amount of time that she's away from her family
Slightly off-topic, but I do believe that the reason she spends so much time at Hogwarts/the Burrow during Christmas holidays has to do with the fact that she's trying to make her place in the wizarding world and staying there during the holidays in Hermione's mind kind of cements that. Also after so much time away from her Muggle school friends, I'm sure she really doesn't have anything to go back to except her parents anymore since she wouldn't be able to share anything with people outside of her immediate family.

I don't think anyone else in Hermione's family is aware that she's a witch; to me, it seems that it isn't out of the ordinary for children to attend boarding schools once they reach junior high age. Dudley and Piers both attend a boarding school, and Justin Finch-Fletchly was going to Eaton until he received a Hogwarts letter. Aunt Marge doesn't question Harry's attending a boarding school so I doubt Hermione's extended family (if she even has any) would dig very deep into the story of a small, little-known boarding school.

Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix.
Old August 29th, 2007, 9:10 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_Turpin View Post
Slightly off-topic, but I do believe that the reason she spends so much time at Hogwarts/the Burrow during Christmas holidays has to do with the fact that she's trying to make her place in the wizarding world and staying there during the holidays in Hermione's mind kind of cements that. Also after so much time away from her Muggle school friends, I'm sure she really doesn't have anything to go back to except her parents anymore since she wouldn't be able to share anything with people outside of her immediate family.

I don't think anyone else in Hermione's family is aware that she's a witch; to me, it seems that it isn't out of the ordinary for children to attend boarding schools once they reach junior high age. Dudley and Piers both attend a boarding school, and Justin Finch-Fletchly was going to Eaton until he received a Hogwarts letter. Aunt Marge doesn't question Harry's attending a boarding school so I doubt Hermione's extended family (if she even has any) would dig very deep into the story of a small, little-known boarding school.
Yh I doubt that other people question her going to boarding school, it's perfectly normal and wouldn't seem unsual to those that they've chose not to tell.
I think you're right in thinking that she probably doesn't have anything to go back to in the muggle world. She probably does feel left-out when she's with her parents, like Harry is when he feels that he can't interact with the Wiazrding world when he's at the Dursleys. Then again she must only spend a couple of weeks a year with her parents, I doubt she has a proper relationship with her parents, them being muggles and what not.

"Well, he can do it if he thinks no one is watching him," said Fred, rolling his eyes. "So all we have to do is ask the crowd to turn their backs and talk among themselves every time the Quaffle goes up on his end Saturday."
- PeerlessKid -
Old August 29th, 2007, 10:38 pm
Third Year

I definitely think Hermione's parents know she is a witch, why wouldn't they?
Other thing it's to say that maybe they were upset that her daughter spent very little time with them. Maybe Hermione didn't lift the cunfundus charm she put upon them

Old August 29th, 2007, 10:58 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
I definitely think Hermione's parents know she is a witch, why wouldn't they?
Other thing it's to say that maybe they were upset that her daughter spent very little time with them. Maybe Hermione didn't lift the cunfundus charm she put upon them
Cunfundus charm? What Cunfundus charm?

- PeerlessKid -
Old August 29th, 2007, 11:05 pm
First Year

*** Edited out***

Everything that has been said in this thread makes sense, but it still irks me that she is hardly ever at home. I can't remember which book it was, but when she blows off the skiing trip with her parents, I was like "Come ON!" I was frustrated that she was always there. I understand why, being part of the Trio, but goodness, let her spend time with her family.

Last edited by artmis723; August 31st, 2007 at 2:26 am. Reason: apparent spoiler
Old August 29th, 2007, 11:19 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeerlessKid View Post
Cunfundus charm? What Cunfundus charm?
Er... have you read Deathly Hallows? Hermione changes his parents minds to pretend their are somebody else

Old August 30th, 2007, 12:08 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmis723 View Post
I think-- might be wrong-- the Confundus Charm Hermione put on them in Deathly Hallows. She altered their memory to save them from Voldemort.

Everything that has been said in this thread makes sense, but it still irks me that she is hardly ever at home. I can't remember which book it was, but when she blows off the skiing trip with her parents, I was like "Come ON!" I was frustrated that she was always there. I understand why, being part of the Trio, but goodness, let her spend time with her family.
I think she feels like Harry does, that because she's a witch she doesn't really belong in the muggle world, and she likes the magic world much better (Who wouldn't?)

I'm sure her parents also sort of impede her with her magic considering they don't like her using to solve her problems (Remember her teeth? They wanted her to wear braces instead of using magic)

Gryffindor Till The End
Old August 30th, 2007, 4:14 pm
First Year

Yeah, I guess you're right. I would definitely like the magic world better...and would want to use magic on my teeth as well.
I guess I just thought it was kind of unrealistic that she would barely spend any time at home.
And, considering how things turned out with Ron, I guess one could argue her mega-crush drove her to spend loads of time with the Trio as well. So cute!!!!

Old August 30th, 2007, 8:10 pm
Third Year

Quote:
I think-- might be wrong-- the Confundus Charm Hermione put on them in Deathly Hallows. She altered their memory to save them from Voldemort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
Er... have you read Deathly Hallows? Hermione changes his parents minds to pretend their are somebody else
Actually no I havn't read Deathly Hallows yet... I was under the impression that this section was spoiler free...

But great thanks anyways... ...

- PeerlessKid -
Old August 30th, 2007, 11:21 pm
First Year

I'm sorry.

I assumed you had read the book already since you asked the question. I thought maybe you had forgotten.

Old August 30th, 2007, 11:28 pm
Third Year

Quote:
I'm sorry.

I assumed you had read the book already since you asked the question. I thought maybe you had forgotten.
Yh still aint read it yet, got the book though, actually I waited at midnight at Waterstones in London for it . Just aint ready to say goodbye to Harry Potter just yet

Either way you shouldn't mention Deathly Hallow spoilers in this section for other people

- PeerlessKid -
Old August 31st, 2007, 2:25 am
First Year

Right. It won't happen again.
I think I'm going to stay out of this section to make sure it doesn't happen again
I'll edit it.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives