Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Old July 4th, 2011, 1:56 pm
First Year

Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Transformers: Dark of the Moon

7/10

Visually stunning film and an amazing score does this movie well.

Being quite a big fan of the series I found myself to be a little disappointed after it was all over. The movie felt far too weak to be the final movie in the trilogy and I can't help but feel really annoyed at that because of the really high hopes I had for this film.

Don't get me wrong there where some parts that I absolutely loved and I really enjoyed the movie as a whole...just can't help but think what could have been.

Old July 4th, 2011, 4:40 pm
Third Year

Transformers: Dark of the Moon

6.5/10

The visuals were incredible, and the action was fun. It left no doubt at the end that this was the final movie. There were a few scenes in particular that stood out to me, most notably the night attack on Chicago. I thought that was a really cool scene.

The story didn't quite jive with what we'd seen in previous installments, and I thought the film was about 30-45 minutes too long. While the extra scenes were funny and enjoyable, they just weren't needed (Ken Jeong scenes, John Malkovich scenes). I also thought in some areas the plot revolved too much around the special effects, most notably when the office building was brought down by that tunneler thing.

That said, there were some major geek-out moments for me.
Spoiler: show
Soundwave and Shockwave being voiced by Frank Welker, Lazerbeak, the iconic TF theme song being played on the copier, and Ironhide being killed (a callback to the cartoon movie, where he is killed in a similar manner by Megatron).

I enjoyed the movie, and I'm certainly not sad I saw it, but I didn't love it. I felt like there could have been so much more.

Old July 4th, 2011, 6:00 pm
Registered Animagus

Halloween (2007)
I only watched this because I'm a huge Rob Zombie fan, and I felt like watching a horror movie. I don't know if it's beause I'm desensitised or what, but I didn't find the movie all that scary or shocking. Having said that, 10 year old Michael Myres was brilliant and wonderfully portrayed. His scenes of violence were far more uncomfortable than adult Myres simply because he's such an innocent looking kid. The soundtrack was great and I expected nothing less.
In the end it's just another slasher, nothing spectacular but enough to get me to watch Halloween II.
7/10

Old July 11th, 2011, 11:33 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Public Enemies -- 9/10

Just saw this film recently and it's one of the best that I've seen in quite some time. It is quite violent, but it's the kind of violence that took place during the period itself between the crooks, gangsters, FBI, etc. It's not so overwhelming that it takes over the film though.

On a side note, it shows that both sides weren't black and white.

Overall everyone did a good job acting wise and Johnny Depp did a particularly good job as Dillenger himself. The cinematography was done well, along with the atmosphere.

I recommend this film to anyone who likes to watch a good action/drama type film.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old July 12th, 2011, 6:56 pm
Fourth Year

Bad Teacher

4/10 (if that)

Really unfunny, Cameron Diaz's character gives you no reason to root for her. Jason Segal was good, Justin Timberlake played a really weird character so I don't know if I didn't like him or I didn't like the weird character he played (because I love him when he's on Saturday Night Live!). All the funny parts were in the trailer, and even when I actually saw the movie in the theater I don't think I laughed once.

Bridesmaids

10/10
Perfection as far as quality comedy goes! Loved the cast, it was genuinely funny (though a bit raunchy), smartly written without being contrived. It wasn't funny for the sake of being funny, if that makes any sense. You know how some movies try too hard to be funny and fall flat (see: Bad Teacher)...Bridesmaids doesn't suffer that fate.

Old July 18th, 2011, 4:11 am
Second Year

The last movie I watched was Abouna, which is a foreign film that takes place in Chad. Overall, it was unremarkable. The little kid was cute, but the movie didn't seem to have much of a point or much of a story to tell. I gave it 3/5, which is my "I'm neutral about it, I didn't not like it" rating.

Old July 18th, 2011, 7:52 am
Secret Keeper

This is a little bit late, but here's my intial reaction to DH2...

Quote:
Words cannot describe but let me say this...as not just a Potter fan but also a self proclaimed film buff I truly feel Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part Two is Oscar worthy. SFX should be a no brainer but I'm talking picture, director, cinematography, score, makeup and even editing and acting! There are some masterful sequences that really deserve attention, such as TPT, especially in regards to Alan Rickman's performance. In a word, FANTASTIC!!!
And now after seeing it again I feel more comfortable giving scores...

Acting- 9.5
Script- 9
Visuals- 9.5
Sound- 10
Editing- 9.5

Total Score = 95

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!
Old July 19th, 2011, 1:23 am

My HP and the Deathly Hallows pt. 2 review:

It was pretty good overall, not perfect, but still worth seeing. The special effects are top notch and the acting was well done. I'd love to see it again in theaters some day.

9/10

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Old July 19th, 2011, 2:22 am
BANNED... No really they are...

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2-- 9/10.

Wonderful, dark, delicious, amazing, lovely. Not perfect, but loved it!

ALL HAIL THE PIXIE QUEEN TINKIE!!
Mave, RN.
Winner of Happiest Hoggie Award (2011).
Old July 19th, 2011, 7:00 am
Second Year

Super 8 was one of the last movies I saw I loved it!! Nice homages to early Spielberg works for sure but it also has Abrams touch to it in a big way. J.J. claims to not have a style as a filmmaker but I think he very much does so.

Old July 20th, 2011, 5:57 am
Registered Animagus

Death Race 2: 9/10!

Just watched this movie. One of the best Direct-to-Video Pre/Sequels I have ever seen! Amazing! Just as good as the first, and the races were even better than the first. Blew me away. Great characters, great set up for Death Race. Just a great storyline. Wow...

Old July 22nd, 2011, 8:26 pm
Third Year

HP 7 part 2 Amazing... 9 3/4 out of 10

Morning Glory 10/10 It was Hilarious...

Tamara Drewe 5/10 I had thought it would be better...so I was a little disappointed.

Old July 23rd, 2011, 6:14 pm
Sixth Year

Harry Potter 7, part 2: 6,5/10

Better than part one (no difficult there), but it didn't convince me anyway. I think that the fact that book 7 is my least favourite weighs a lot. I liked how they've treated the part of Snape's memories (Alan Rickman is just great), anyway, and Dan Radcliffe does a good job in the forest scenes.

Old July 23rd, 2011, 9:14 pm
First Year

Harry Potter 7: Part 2

9/10

I loved it. Very much so! I think with all the story they had to squeeze in they did well however i would have liked the beginning to be more true to the book and think Fred derserved more than he got with regards to his death.

I think Molly and Neville were fantasic, my husband commented on Bellas death as the 'best death in the film'

Would love to go see it again and cannot wait for it to become available on DVD

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good
BatPumpkin
14 1/2 inches, Unicorn, Elm - Brittle
Old July 23rd, 2011, 9:20 pm

The Black Swan -- 8/10

A very well acted film, but a very dark one none the less. Not something I'll be viewing again any time soon. And not for the faint of heart. It's a very dark movie full of adult themes, and disturbing moments.

Spoiler: show
The saddest part that I saw was when the main characters' mother tells her to back off in a way, that the role will end up consuming her (not the exact quote)... I felt sorry for the mother at that point. We end up finding out that's what drove her insane. I thought that she was some sort of artist originally who was just really wound up...

But at the end, other than having her daughter... she ended up having to quit ballet in order to keep her sanity.

The most tragic bit was at the end... with her daughter tragically killing herself by mistake. She was lost by then and thought she'd killed her rival (who wasn't really her rival)... when in fact she fatally stabbed herself.

Old July 23rd, 2011, 9:22 pm
Member of the Order

Captain America; The First Avenger.

Better than I thought it would be. It recaptures the Silver Age (or is it the Golden age?) of comic-book heroes.

This was not Captain America per se, but Steve Rogers; a simple, humble man that knows weakness, is in awe of his own abilities, humbled by his power, caring for his fellow man and loving the country that gave him everything he loves about life. They didn’t make him a jokester, they didn’t make him sexy, they didn’t make him hip. They made him exactly the way he is supposed to be.
Credit to where it's due, Chris Evans played the role well.

They threw in a lot of old time Marvel characters; Howling Commandoes, Dum Dum Dugan, Peggy Carter, Howard Stark, Arnim Zola, Bucky Barnes..whew. If you're a comic-book geek, you're going to love the references.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old July 24th, 2011, 11:03 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

Kristen Stewart, Taylor Lautner and Robert Pattinson are allowed to show some personality at last. The verbal exchange between Pattinson and Lautner in the tent scene was good. The storyline about Victoria's army was a dud. We didn't know the army well enough to care about them being killed.

Same thing applies to Jacob's wolf pack. They are all buffed up interchangable male models with no personality to distinguish them from each other. I also say AGAIN how silly it looks for the wolfboys to walk around bare chested, given the climate of Forks. The two women in the pack may as well have not existed.

Moreso, Victoria's desire for revenge for James' death means nothing, because we didn't know him either. Her and James were seen in I think one or two murder sequences, then the baseball scene in the first movie. That's all we know of them. So her motivation seems empty.

The fight scenes and SFX are quite clunky. Bella's father is always funny. He had some good lines in this movie. The Volturi once again looks ridiculous and are completely pointless. The big problem in this movie however is Jacob Black. His constant insistance that Bella loves him comes across as very creepy. Of course it doesn't help that Bella seems to play with his feelings, assuring him that she loves Edward more while still kissing Jacob.

The movie does attempt to expand the roles of Rosalee and Jasper. It fills in some of their backstory, which was interesting. The wedding proposal scene was just embarassing. The whole "no sex before marriage" thing seemed shoehorned into the plot to make Edward Cullen even more bland, sexless and clumsily virtuous. The theory that Bella Swan is the Mary Sue author insert of Stephanie Meyer is well established. But I also strongly believe that Edward Cullen is a Gary Stu. Quite possibly an idealised version of Stephanie Meyer's ideal man.

Overall, it was flawed and sanitised and is obviously designed for teenage girls to watch the movie and swoon in scenes featuring buffed wolfboys and Edward's lame desire to protect Bella's chastity, but it is enjoyable, like all three Twilight movies, thus far.

Old July 25th, 2011, 5:43 am
First Year

Black Swan.

6/10

Natalie Portman's preformance was great. Although the story leaves much to be desired. It wasn't as brilliant as Natalie.

Rango

10/10

Funny, genius, weird and just awesomely unique.

Old July 25th, 2011, 8:01 am
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

I just watched The Kids are All Right.

I was really impressed by all of the performances in this one. Moore and Bening sold a rather complex relationship with poignancy and passion (and without any hint of the stereotype I was afraid of seeing). Mark Ruffalo pulled off an equally demanding role I think, and epitomized, well, misguided sincerity. And the kids were all right too. I didn't really get them, any more than their parents did, at least, but I was rooting for them the whole way.

It was a really entertaining film. Sometimes awkward, sometimes hilarious, but never far from home: it captured family life in a bottle and made me think back to tough times in my own family, and how they brought us closer together. 9/10

Old July 25th, 2011, 1:36 pm
I want to believe

Captain America - 9/10

I enjoyed this movie. I have never read the comic books, but I am slowly getting introduced to the Marvel world through movies such as Iron Man, The Hulk, and Thor. Captain America had a lot of action, which I liked, and also a good story. Though I thought the way they rendered the Red Skull was funny rather than frightening. Unfortunately he looked like "The Mask" but red instead of green. However I thought Hugo Weaving did a good job acting-wise.

I am eagerly awaiting The Avengers movie.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion