Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Old May 17th, 2016, 5:33 am
Curse Breaker

Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

The Martian

Finally saw this over the weekend. Really liked it, thought the movie had nice pace considering the marooned on Mars part of it. Matt Damon put in an excellent performance IMO.

....I miss David Tennant....
Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2016, 4:55 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

Deadpool--Laugh-out-loud spoof of the superhero genre, it was fantastic. Definitely not the superhero movie to show to your kids, but the fourth-wall-breaking and genre-aware comments were hilarious. Ryan Reynolds did a great job.

The Good Dinosaur--quite a contrast in movies in this post . Entertaining, but not as affecting as some other Pixar films. The character design is very cartoony, which is odd considering the hyper-realistic backgrounds and set pieces. Overall, I liked it, but it's no Toy Story or Wall-E or Finding Nemo.

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Back to COS, the Forum that Lived
Old May 22nd, 2016, 5:52 am
Curse Breaker

I think just about the entire audience that saw Pan said "What the heck was that?" with trimmings. In the last decade there was one straight-up live action adaptation (with Jeremy Sumpter, Jason Isaacs, and the excellent Bob Hoskins as Smee...reprising his role from Hook), and two reimaginings in which Hook and Peter start out as friends and then the common enemy disappears and whoosh. One was an interesting BBC miniseries with James Frain as Hook, Anna Friel as predecessor bad gal, and...Bob Hoskins as Smee (once again reprising his role from Hook), and then, this...thing. I'm not sure what it was originally supposed to be about, but it couldn't be cobbled together into a complete movie.

The Martian runs on Matt Damon's performance and he does a very good job. There's also an excellent supporting cast. Deadpool was billed as the disaster that would sink the genre and instead it delivered on the promise of the awesome trailer that created the buzz in the first place. Wow.

Winter Soldier was good, even if poorly named since it really wasn't about the once and future Bucky. This one might have just as easily gotten that title. I actually like it better than Winter Soldier even though I know Winter Soldier has good selling points.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old May 29th, 2016, 3:27 am
Member of the Order

X-Men: Apocalypse
It helped that I went in with low expectations. So it turned out better than I thought..
Spoiler: show
Still, while there's a lot to like, (Weapon X cameo was damn perfect, and had there been more blood flying all over the place this would have been a "R" movie), there's a lot to hate here too. Too many new cast members that received too little attention. (And why the hell did they even bother with Jubilee?) Apocalypse was too big a deal to try to fit in one movie without getting to know a bit better. And Psylocke and Angel were wasted and little better than thugs. The characterization was just non-existent for too many players that had screen time but nothing to say.

Still...good to see Phoenix, effect and all..sonava...Baptist minister!
I definitely did not like the end credit scene.

I admit, I feel as mixed as the reviews...I liked...and disliked the movie.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old May 29th, 2016, 4:04 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Watched Deadpool. Insane fun from the first joke credit. The narrative bits are a bit meh at times. Definitely at its best when it embraces the crazy.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old June 3rd, 2016, 11:47 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

The Nice Guys - surprisingly good. Fresh humour, gentle joking with the genre, delightful acting from Ryan Gosling.

Old June 3rd, 2016, 6:03 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Deadpool -- Finally got to see this, really liked it. Definitely not for the kiddies. Loved a lot of the humor, nods and in jokes. Ryan Reynolds and the rest of the cast did a great job.

8/10

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old June 4th, 2016, 11:05 pm
Ravenclaw Prefect

Captain America: Civil War--really well done action movie (although the ultimate villian of the movie was a little bit of a letdown for a superhero flick, but on the other hand, it was interesting to see him playing everyone for fools so very well). I do think they did a decent job with portraying the tension created when both sides have a really good point, and there's no clear right or wrong answer. Reviewers who have praised Chadwick Boseman's T'Challa are spot on--he was spectacular. Tom Holland was absolutely perfect as Peter Parker (and I liked Tobey McGuire's Spidey, but Holland was even better. Didn't see the Andrew Garfield films, so can't compare there). It does address the question of "how is Iron Man back after all his suits got blown up in Iron Man 3" (although it does so with exposition, and I would have liked to actually see things play out, but since they're not planning Iron Man 4, I guess that's off the table). It will be interesting to see where the MCU goes from here.

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Old June 9th, 2016, 5:30 pm

Zootopia -- Finally got to see this. It was really cute. Loved the jokes and the plot. Planning on getting this one on dvd when I can.

8/10

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Old June 9th, 2016, 6:10 pm
Curse Breaker

Zootopia was cute. The world they built was a bigger star than the characters, but the two leads are charming. And while the villain of the film isn't intimidating or capable of imposing order without a LOT of help, there was an actual feasible and pretty smart plan the heroes had to foil. Kudos. I guess I'm still waiting for the villain who combines the menace of Sheer Khan or Maleficent with the conniving ability of Scar. One of the only bad parts of Beauty and the Beast was that it taught Disney the virtues of a weak villain.

Old June 12th, 2016, 2:17 am
Member of the Order

Warcraft

Wasn't as terrible as I thought it was going to be, but I had low expectations to begin with.
The production values shows well, however they tried to cram too much in with too little characterization, pacing was far too fast as a result. Leaping from one thing to another, one place to another.
Sure, the scenery made me go Gah! But...this could have been better written. I'm familiar with the characters and I recognized that they changed quite a bit for the sake of making a movie, and that kinda stings.
For someone going in completely unknowing anything...this probably seemed rather messy.

Now You See Me 2

This one has sequel-litus; meaning that it's not as fun as it's predecessor.

It does try to be more clever at the ending but I think it just robs us of a little something that was in the 1st movie.

It aimed for reconciliation of the conflict that we saw between Thaddeus Bradley (Morgan Freeman), and Dylan Shrike (Mark Ruffalo) and it fell flat to me

The first movie had a lot of shine, and gave me a bit of sense of wonder. This sequel just didn't have either.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

Old June 13th, 2016, 3:08 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

American Ultra

Kristen Stewart was fine in the movie and has a pretty underrated talent for comedy, but I hate Jesse Eisenberg and his fast talking, barely comprehensible, twitchy acting style. The film should have emphasised the comedy, but instead focuses on the violence, which quickly gets old. Topher Grace wasn't too bad, but the best part of the movie is the guy who won't stop laughing.

A Walk To Remember

Why did I watch this? I knew how it was going to play out after five minutes. The main actor is your typical teen/chick movie heart throb with all the emotion of a bin liner, then you get the disapproving father figure, the jealous/obnoxious high school students, the black best friend who talks jive, and the sweet leading girl who is nerdy and ugly because she wears glasses (then becomes attractive by taking them off). It's a collection of cliches and stock characters, saved only by Mandy Moore's inherent cuteness.

Old June 17th, 2016, 6:07 am
Curse Breaker

And singing voice. She does have a beautiful singing voice. The guy who directed this is a dance guy. Adam Shankman. He does his best work judging on So You Think You Can Dance while holding back tears. If only the viewing public had known this when the movie came out.

I honestly have no idea why Shane West couldn't make this character somewhat relatable or human. The basics are similar to Eli, the character he played on Once and Again for three years. The dialogue was awful. The characterization was awful. The production value was spotty. Really, Mandy Moore saves this mess from itself...more so than other Sparks leads have since the lightiningstrike of The Notebook.

American Ultra was just bad. Topher Grace's smugness is to be expected for that particular character and Stewart does a...passable job imitating the twoscore other actresses who could have played that part if they'd been desperate enough. Eisenberg does fail here, though I'd argue that he would have to have been transcendent to make the movie endurable.

On Now You See Me 2--
Why would Shrike EVER forgive Bradley? Seriously, why? He ruined Lionel's livelihood and contributed significantly to his death and now because he spent a year in prison and got one over on Shrike and his crew from prison, the Younger Shrike is supposed to say "Well played, sir. Let's forget the whole [blasted] thing." Really? Are you kidding me?

Old June 19th, 2016, 6:04 pm
Ravenclaw Prefect

Finding Dory--I enjoyed it a lot. Doesn't quite reach Finding Nemo's standard, but it's easily the best Pixar sequel outside of the Toy Story movies. Ellen Degeneres again does a great job as Dory's voice, the new characters are fun (especially Frank the Octopus), and the animation great. The climax is rather far-fetched, but it's done in an engaging manner. Overall, a fun and well-done movie, and a nice expansion of the story after Finding Nemo.

Old June 30th, 2016, 8:46 pm
Ravenclaw Prefect

Zootopia--what a fun movie! I really enjoyed the world-building, and the analogies to the real world were spot-on. Although I guessed the "criminal mastermind" before the halfway point of the movie, I still enjoyed seeing everything play out. And the Shakira song at the end is a definite earworm for me (not a bad thing).

Old July 3rd, 2016, 3:07 am
Member of the Order

The Legend of Tarzan
It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.
Alexander Skarsgård wasn't given a lot to do other than go...ape half the time.
However, Margot Robbie is a nice draw, and she's given a bit more to do than play damsel in distress at times.
Samuel Jackson plays it up for comic relief. Which I thought was a waste.

Messy movie. Though I was entertained I was disappointed at the wasted potential for a much better movie.

Old July 11th, 2016, 9:41 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

The Walk

The conclusion is stunning. Some beautiful visuals and a great performance from Joseph Gordon Levitt. 9/11 makes this movie all the more poignant and it's quite a touching tribute in a unique way.

Highly recommended.

Old July 17th, 2016, 2:42 am
Member of the Order

Ghostbusters

Ok...I didn't go in all prepped to hate this movie.
I did find the movie bland for the most part.

Some thoughts:

Our characters weren't all that fleshed out. Wiig's was probably the most so...although McKinnon's was probably the most memorable as she at times whips out experimentation and weapons gleefully indifferent to the dangers to those around her and herself.
She was funny and she steals the movie.

There was a group dynamic that was obvious in the original movie that is missing in this current incarnation. Half the time when there were together it seemed like squeaky cogs meshing...and needing oil.

The bad guy in this movie is a cliche. (a pity. He would have made a nice counterpart to Holtzmann)

Now, the original we had Janine; a smart wisecracking empowered woman.
Here, we have Kevin; an objectified stupid blonde man. (Really? Wearing glasses without lenses in them because they keep clean that way? That's a cartoon character.)

There are no smart guys here (beyond the bad guy) and there are no strong guys here. If this is a movie that is supposed to show empowered women it shouldn't do so with such examples that we see here among the men.

I felt this movie was uninspired, clumsy and more often than not, just dumb.

This movie will be compared to the original and fall far short of it in every way.

Old July 18th, 2016, 8:26 pm

All the Way (2016)

I just finished watching this movie on HBO and it is very, very good. It's about LBJ's first year in office. Definitely worth the watch.

10/10

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; July 18th, 2016 at 8:30 pm.
Old August 1st, 2016, 5:31 am
Curse Breaker

Cranston has found a way to give spectacular, transformative performances fairly consistently since Breaking Bad raised his profile. All the Way is excellent.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion