Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

How, when and at what age did you first read Harry Potter? v.3

Old September 14th, 2016, 12:47 pm
Sixth Year

Re: How, when and at what age did you first read Harry Potter? v.3

I would've been 9 or 10, before the first movie, after the fourth book came out in the Netherlands.

Old November 29th, 2016, 1:40 am
First Year

I was in either grade 8 or 9. So I was 12 or 13 (Circa 2001). Anyway, I remember we had a English Oral and the task was to read a chapter from our favourite book, and I swear every kid in my entire year read from Harry Potter. I hadn't read it at that point and I refused to do so, because I was sick of everyone carrying on about it.

On my birthday that year (I am proud to say I share my birthday with our Harry) my aunt (who lives the other side of the country) asked my mum to buy the Philosopher's Stone for me as a present and she would pay her back (she never did). So mum did. I was cranky because I was so anti Harry Potter at that point and thought it was a rubbish gift and I just put it aside (such an ungrateful child I was!).

It wasn't until sometime later that year when I had to go to my sister's dance class and sit in the car until she had finished that I took the book with me. I was sooooo bored, that I gave in and started to read.

Needless to say, from that point on I was hooked.

And that's my story.

Old January 9th, 2017, 8:51 pm
Fourth Year

I read Books SS/PS through HBP sometime soon after HBP came out, probably late summer 2005 (and read them all over a long weekend when everyone else was gone), and read DH over a period of about 24 hours starting midnight when the book came out. I might have seen SS the movie before all that.

I'd heard of Harry Potter before then, of course; it was too big a phenomenon for me to have been completely ignorant of it. But it made no deep impression on me for a number of years. I remember that I had gone into our partially finished attic at some point—this would probably have been about 2000 or 2001—and the phone rang. I turned around and ran right into the rough end of a two by four, which made a jagged little laceration in the middle of my forehead. My wife and others remarked that it made me look a little like Harry Potter, and I had no real idea what that meant.

I'm not sure why I suddenly decided to binge read the first six books. It may be that her writing—despite being a little clumsy at the beginning—was nevertheless appealing enough that I essentially couldn't put them down. At any rate, if I get into something, I get into something...so here we are. :-)

Cornets acoustiques et de glace!

Pottermore Beta Tester, First Batch (2011-08-15)
ChaserQuaffle211
Ravenclaw (about what I expected)
14-1/2 inches, redwood with phoenix feather core, brittle
Russian blue cat
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak