Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Have any Slytherins ever been trustworthy?

Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:12 pm
First Year

Re: Have any Slytherins ever been trustworthy?

I think that there can be plenty of good Slytherins. I mean just because you are cunning and sly doesn't make you evil. Hermione is cunnning. And there must have been some time when Slytherins weren't perceived as evil. I mean I'm guessing that in the 50 years Voldemort was around he slowly egged on the stereotype that all Slytherins are evil. I have a feeling that Moody was in Slytherin. Just because he is trustworthy doesn't mean that he doesn't have all the traits a Slytherin does. He is very sly and pays attention to his surroundings and that is what I belive a Slytherin is.

Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:39 pm
First Year

We know that most of the dark wizards were in Slytherin, but that doesn't mean that all of them become one. The fact that most of the dark wizards were in Slytherin also imply that not all of them were..what leads us to conclusion that there were also Gryffindors, Hufflepuffs and Rawenclaws that have become dark wizards. So the house you belong to does not define whether you are bad or good. As Dumbledore says our choices and actions do. It is beacause of the statistics and the actions of their founder Salazar that people have those prejudice about all Slytherins.

Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:39 pm
First Year

I'd like to come back and comment on this one more time. I was reading OotP this morning when I stumbled across the Sorting Hat's song, in which it states that Godric Gryffindor and Salazar Slytherin were pretty much the best of friends (I forget the exact quote, and am too lazy to look it up...)

Obviously Godric trusted Salazar - they just had different views, but that doesn't mean that Godric himself was any better than Salazar. While Salazar only wanted pure-bloods, Godric only wanted brave witches and wizards. Does this mean he was unwilling to teach them if they were cowardly? Even Neville is considered a brave soul; "It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to your enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to your friends."

This just shows that even the other houses have their biased opinions. A lot of people have brought up Andromeda Black Tonks. She came from a pure-blood family who believed Voldemort had the right idea, and even her cousin and sister were Death Eaters - yet she chose to stay away from that path, didn't she? She saw Ted Tonks as a man she loved and no one else. Now, I've heard theories that they only married because Andromeda was pregnant, but that's a disscussion for another thread at another time.

My point here is even Godric was at picky as Salazar. I'm sure they both trusted each other in order to be considered "the best of friends," and whether or not/how that trust was broken, I suppose we don't know. Who's to say another Slytherin and a Gryffindor can't be friends? I believe Blaise Zabini may end up being quite the trustworthy character, and I don't mean on Draco's side.

"Goodbye now, goodbye now. Go ahead and close your eyes now; you're frozen from skating too far out on the ice. When someone pushed you down there was no one else around, no one to pick you up from icy waters."
Old March 24th, 2007, 8:47 pm
First Year

I think that Slughorn is trustworthy to some degree, I mean he's greedy and everything but essentially he's a good person

lo and behold, the greatest Beatles album ever was created

I trust Severus Snape.

Can I have a look at Uranus too, Lavender? - Ron Weasley, POA XD

92% of teens moved on to rap music. If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your sig

intelligent like a Ravenclaw cunning like a slytherin
Old March 24th, 2007, 8:48 pm
Purveyor of Prophesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Darcy View Post
I'd like to come back and comment on this one more time. I was reading OotP this morning when I stumbled across the Sorting Hat's song, in which it states that Godric Gryffindor and Salazar Slytherin were pretty much the best of friends (I forget the exact quote, and am too lazy to look it up...)

Obviously Godric trusted Salazar - they just had different views, but that doesn't mean that Godric himself was any better than Salazar. While Salazar only wanted pure-bloods, Godric only wanted brave witches and wizards. Does this mean he was unwilling to teach them if they were cowardly? Even Neville is considered a brave soul; "It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to your enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to your friends."

This just shows that even the other houses have their biased opinions. A lot of people have brought up Andromeda Black Tonks. She came from a pure-blood family who believed Voldemort had the right idea, and even her cousin and sister were Death Eaters - yet she chose to stay away from that path, didn't she? She saw Ted Tonks as a man she loved and no one else. Now, I've heard theories that they only married because Andromeda was pregnant, but that's a disscussion for another thread at another time.

My point here is even Godric was at picky as Salazar. I'm sure they both trusted each other in order to be considered "the best of friends," and whether or not/how that trust was broken, I suppose we don't know. Who's to say another Slytherin and a Gryffindor can't be friends? I believe Blaise Zabini may end up being quite the trustworthy character, and I don't mean on Draco's side.
Well said. The Founders were (or at least seemed to be) all friends, and trusted each other.

Though, I would like to point to part of the Sorting Hat's song about how the Slytherins will "use any means to achieve their ends." Doesn't this song suggest that in general, when it comes down to doing what is right or what is in their own best interests, that a Slytherin will chose to do what is in his or her own best interests? Is that the mark of a trustworthy person?

Naturally, we all know that just about everyone has traits that could fall into any or all four Houses criteria, but the Sorting Hat seemed to make a point of grouping every member of Slytherin House into this particular trait.

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.
Old March 24th, 2007, 9:40 pm
Sixth Year

The sorting hat doesn't use that in each of it's songs. If all the Slytherins have that trait bar none then why wouldn't she said it every year? But to be completely fair Darcy, Godric accepted the system the school used, Zasalar didn't.

Old March 25th, 2007, 1:09 pm
Second Year

im sure their are because not all slytherins are evil and treacherous. if they were wouldn't dumbledore just abolish the house?

Old March 26th, 2007, 7:03 pm
First Year

Quote:
Well said. The Founders were (or at least seemed to be) all friends, and trusted each other.

Though, I would like to point to part of the Sorting Hat's song about how the Slytherins will "use any means to achieve their ends." Doesn't this song suggest that in general, when it comes down to doing what is right or what is in their own best interests, that a Slytherin will chose to do what is in his or her own best interests? Is that the mark of a trustworthy person?

Naturally, we all know that just about everyone has traits that could fall into any or all four Houses criteria, but the Sorting Hat seemed to make a point of grouping every member of Slytherin House into this particular trait.
You bring up a good point with the Sorting Hat's song, but I would like to bring up Captian Jack Sparrow's quote once more:

Quote:
Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest person you can always trust to be dishonest.
I think for one this quote is very true, and two, if you apply this to the fact that everyone knows Slytherins are dishonest (including the Slytherins) then you can trust almost anything they...woah, I just totally confused myself.

Right. I've no idea what I'm saying. I think I'm just biased about my Slytherin men. Gets me into a lot of trouble, it does.

I just like to think that just because someone seems "evil" or "untrustworthy" doesn't necessarily mean they are. Who knows, a Slytherin might make a miraculous decision and do something because it's RIGHT, not because it's in their best interest.

And I will shush my mouth right now, before I dig myself into an even deeper hole.

"Goodbye now, goodbye now. Go ahead and close your eyes now; you're frozen from skating too far out on the ice. When someone pushed you down there was no one else around, no one to pick you up from icy waters."
Old April 4th, 2007, 8:15 am
Second Year

i don't think that Slytherins have ever been trustworthy. they are too busy making fun of anything that's not a pure blood.

Old April 4th, 2007, 1:39 pm
First Year

wasn't slughorn a slytherin? i think hes as trustworthy as their gonna get

Old April 4th, 2007, 1:43 pm
Second Year

Well, trustworthy for good, probably not. Because they have that stigma from being slytherin, the cunning, so people will always think they have some other agenda. But I think some are trustworthy for evil. Like Bellatrix, Voldemort can trust her because she is insanly loyal. Actually she's just insane, but it makes her loyal.

Old April 4th, 2007, 2:26 pm
Sixth Year

Just because Harry and all the other have that prejuice doesn't mean that it'ss true. Take Snape, if we vote now the fast majority would agree that he is good (not me though, I think his betrayal would be more significant if he would really turn out evil).

Old April 4th, 2007, 2:50 pm
Second Year

Ok, from our perspective, some slytherins may be trustworthy, because we can be ojective. But from the characters perspective they aren't. That's what I meant.

Old April 4th, 2007, 3:01 pm
Sixth Year

You mean from Harry's perspecitive, and we? You and me perhaps but most people on this board agree to the general to the general consensus that being Sorting into Slytherin effectivly means that you are the reincarnation of pure evil.

Old April 4th, 2007, 3:19 pm
Second Year

Ha, good point. I personally think they can be trustworthy. I myself am very cunning, but people still trust me. I agree with the sorting hat that peole need to get over their petty differences. Its good to have an ally.

Old April 4th, 2007, 6:50 pm
First Year

being cunning dosen't have to mean being evil......and don't forget, the sorting hat wanted to put harry in slytherin

Old April 4th, 2007, 8:46 pm
Fifth Year

Yes it did, but you also have to remember that part of the reason it saw Slytherin in him was because of the bit of Voldemort that was transfered the night he attacked Harry.

But I do not believe that all Slytherins are untrustworthy, I think it really depends on your perspective.

"Pile up enough tomorrows and you'll find you've collected nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays."

~ sllagnire ~

Old April 4th, 2007, 9:21 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by sllagnire View Post
Yes it did, but you also have to remember that part of the reason it saw Slytherin in him was because of the bit of Voldemort that was transfered the night he attacked Harry.

But I do not believe that all Slytherins are untrustworthy, I think it really depends on your perspective.
I don't think that was any part of the reason. Harry is Parseltongue because of the powertransfer certainly, and his looks are partly because of him too. But I don't think that his personality was formed partly by the power of Voldemort in him.

Old April 4th, 2007, 11:08 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor_Gestahl View Post
I don't think that was any part of the reason. Harry is Parseltongue because of the powertransfer certainly, and his looks are partly because of him too. But I don't think that his personality was formed partly by the power of Voldemort in him.
I don't think his personality was formed that way either. However, I am going by what Dumbledore himself said when Harry told him of how the Sorting Hat tried to put him in Slytherin.

"Pile up enough tomorrows and you'll find you've collected nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays."

~ sllagnire ~

Old April 12th, 2007, 6:16 pm
Third Year

Well, wasn't Slughorn a Slytherin? and so far, he hasn't done anything wrong to Harry or the others, so I'd say at least a handfull have been good.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives