Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What are your movie pet peeves?

Old April 19th, 2006, 12:21 am
First Year

Re: What are your movie pet peeves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefy
Is it me, or does anybody else find the style of Harry's hair a dissapointment.

I mean, its always described as being very messy and wild. But only rarely is it messy as JKR would describe it. It also makes Harry (dan look every young in my opinion)

Yes! This was one of my biggest pet peeves. I really couldn't figure out why they opted to make his hair so tidy for the first couple of movies. I mean, of all the simple details they could have sooo easily executed for the screen- this would've been one of the simplest! I thought your pics were great examples, btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottoneyejoe27
#1 Hermione crying. (Yule Ball) TOTALLY out of character. Also extremely annoying.
I thought this was such a classic moody, PMS, hormone raging teen grrrl scene- I thought it was perfect. Even the toughest of us girls has a crying jag once in a while that makes everyone in the room exchange looks and shrug. ;0)

Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2006, 3:14 am
Animaga terpsichore

Harry's hair! I thoguht it was supposed to be really messy throughout all the movies. it looked really cool in the 3rd and 4th movie though.

Keep On Dancing Til The World Ends
Old April 19th, 2006, 6:53 pm
First Year

1. the toung flicking Moody/Crouch Jr. (what was up with that)
2. where were the blast-ended skrewts?
3. winky?
4. the introduction to the room of requiremnt?
5. S.P.E.W.
7. where were the weasleys and sirius?
harry never gave his triwizard tournament winnings to Fred and George
8. and the big thing that gets me is why didnt they explain how Bary Crouch Jr. and his mother switched places in Azkaban when they polyjuiced them selves and whatnot

I want you to Listen to Big Whiskey And The Groo Grux King!

13 1/2, Willow, Veela Hair--This wand is great for making mischief!
Old April 19th, 2006, 7:08 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Legacy
1. The acting of the non core cast members (Mr Crouch anyone? I mean seriously, since when has man from a long line of pure blood british wizards had a French accent? AND he's a British wizards MP pretty much - anywho, he's an appalling actor)
May I ask where you are from? I assure you that Crouch Snr did not speak with a French accent. I thought the acting was far better than the part warranted.

Quote:
2. Michael Gamblins take on Dumbledore.
I won't go into this again.

Quote:
3. Their concern for length of movies - I think someone mentioned this before, but people will go to the movie to enjoy it. As long as they're enjoying the movie throughout, they won't have a care for the time.
This is not true. I spend half my life in meetings. Comfort breaks are necessary within two hours max. People need to use the toilet; they need to move around. Only for epic films will people endure a 3 hour marathon, and HP films are definitely not epic. WB did extensive research after the lukewarm public response to the first two films and found the same complaints being made: too long, too many pointless scenes, too unfocussed.

Quote:
6. Supposedly English characters, and played by English Actors mispronounciating words seemingly so American audiences can feel comfortable. eg: McGonagall and "dance" for some reason caving in like that just annoys me
We English pride ourselves on our inability to pronounce French. Your specific reference to McGonagall baffles me.

Quote:
7. Probably the most important issue, and shows how little the film makers care, or read the books, is everyone's obsession with the words "Lord Voldemort".... you've got Wormtail and other Death Eaters happy to say it when only really a handful should be brave enough too....
This is book trivia and irrelevant for the purposes of communicating clearly to film audiences. How else are audiences to understand who Wormtail is talking to? Even showing Babymort would achieve nothing except confusion, as he has never been seen before.

The film is better than the book #1: Brokeback Mountain

If it's a good movie, the sound could go off and the audience
would still have a perfectly clear idea of what was going on.

Alfred Hitchcock
Old April 19th, 2006, 7:10 pm
Hogsmeade's Worst Icon Maker

"I'll show you mine if you show me yours."

What was that tripe about, anyway?

Old April 19th, 2006, 7:21 pm
Second Year

I so wish they had included Snape showing his Dark Mark to Fudge (just think of the cinematic potential in cutting to the face of Dumbledore, Snape etc when it becomes clear that Fudge has his head up his own ***). It would have been possible to make that moment very dramatic, after everything Harry has witnessed and gone through.

Blessed be the Giver
Cursed be the Thief
May fortune smile
Upon the True
And Liars come
To Grief

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be (a) Simon Cowell or (b) scared or (c) just hasn't met me yet
Old April 19th, 2006, 7:26 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis_Fowl_2
"I'll show you mine if you show me yours."

What was that tripe about, anyway?
Many HP fans, for all their obsessiveness, don't really understand what is important in the books and what is not. The various conspiracy theories prove this: is Dumbledore kinda evil? is Molly kinda evil? Is Dumbledore Ron? Or Hedwig? And don't forget the gum wrappers folly.

Kloves, for all the abuse he gets from the fans (who invariably want more Quidditch and other trivia), ignores such wacky "theories" and grasps the essentials. His development of Lily in PoA was on the money: not until Books 5 and 6 did the author indicate that Lily's kindness and loveable qualities would be crucial.

The ending of GoF, despite its interminable length and clumsy lines, emphasizes the importance of Voldemort taking Harry's blood. Moody mentions it; Crouch draws attention to it. We are shown the wound and it is compared to the Dark Mark. This is before audiences discover (in Film 5) that Voldemort marked Harry, and well before audiences discover (in Film 6) that Harry's blood is more precious than Dumbledore's.

Alfred Hitchcock
Old April 19th, 2006, 8:53 pm
Third Year

The CGI in the third film. What was the point of having the Knight bus do all those....weird things. And the birf flying into the whomping willow was pointless except for forshadowing. Also, the werewolf standing on two legs.

Old April 19th, 2006, 9:09 pm
First Year

1. The change LOADS of things, even minor details being changed really pee me off.
2. Dan's scar keeps moving! Grrrrrrrrrr!
3. Some actors aren't right for the roles, like Remus Lupin and Luna Lovegood.
4. It really annoyed me in PS because Daniel Radcliffe couldn't act to save his life! (Must say he's got an awful lot better though. Go Dan! )
5. Hermione's hair isn't bushy! (Ha, everyone hates this)

Well, I would, really, seeing as I'm in Slytherin...
Old April 19th, 2006, 9:22 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by slytherin_101
3. Some actors aren't right for the roles, like Remus Lupin and Luna Lovegood.
You disagree with Rowling, then?

Alfred Hitchcock
Old April 19th, 2006, 9:26 pm
Fourth Year

Some people talk as if they wrote the book.

Old April 19th, 2006, 9:55 pm
Zonko's Employee

Well JKR has said that Kloves understands the story very well, wheras she pokes gentle (mostly) fun at the convoluted theories. Only she knows the plot intricacies (although she should have given us most of the clues by now), but the underlying stories (cf, courage and choosing between easy/right in GoF) are straightforward.

Alfred Hitchcock
Old April 19th, 2006, 10:00 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_Beruth
The ending of GoF, despite its interminable length and clumsy lines, emphasizes the importance of Voldemort taking Harry's blood. Moody mentions it; Crouch draws attention to it. We are shown the wound and it is compared to the Dark Mark. This is before audiences discover (in Film 5) that Voldemort marked Harry, and well before audiences discover (in Film 6) that Harry's blood is more precious than Dumbledore's.
But he'd already checked out Harry's wound once, why show it to him again? And why have Dumbledore drag Harry over to do it? And why compare it to the Dark Mark at all?

Old April 19th, 2006, 10:54 pm
Second Year

I try not to fuss over the small details in the movies, because they are just that; small. Does it matter if Hermione's dress is pink, or that her hair is not as bushy? Sure, it would be nice to see the little details observed, but I can't see how they spoil the enjoyment of the film. They aren't vital to the story. Also, I'm sure many things are changed for a reason - A blue dress would probably not have stood out against an 'ice-palace' background, and whilst the idea (or part of it) of the ball is to show a transformation of Hermione, it is important she stands out, which she does in many of the overhead shots. And on the GoF extras DVD, Steve Kloves talks about Voldemort's eye colour not being red, so that it would be easier to read - these people have experience and know what they are talking about!

The Harry Potter books are novels, and the movies are adaptations. They are not published as plays, and so do not have to be imitated word for word. Don't get me wrong, I don't like the way they missed out important facts, such are the Marauders information, but, at the end of the day, I suppose the films, like the books, are supposed to be seen as a series, not lots of individual sections, and we still have three to go yet. What is to say that a piece of information that has been missed is not inserted into another movie, where it would seem more relevant?

That being said, if I had to pick one pet peeve, it would be the cheesiness and child like apprach to some scenes, and in some cases, the humour.

Sorry for the long rant; I haven't posted here for a while

Philip PullmanNo one medium can supplant all the others: once a book has become a movie, the book doesn't become redundant; but each medium has its own strengths and weaknesses… Inevitably, film-makers for reasons of practicality are going to want to abridge the plots of the books in order to create their screenplays: and that can be hard on an author. But, whatever happens to the film, I can rest assured that the book will still be there in its entirety for people to read.
Old April 19th, 2006, 11:32 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul
But he'd already checked out Harry's wound once, why show it to him again? And why have Dumbledore drag Harry over to do it? And why compare it to the Dark Mark at all?
If you think the scene works, then it's show, don't tell.

If you think it doesn't work, then it's overkill, heavy-handed, etc.

Alfred Hitchcock
Old April 19th, 2006, 11:35 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_Beruth
If you think the scene works, then it's show, don't tell.

If you think it doesn't work, then it's overkill, heavy-handed, etc.

Fair enough.

Old August 13th, 2006, 6:43 am
Third Year

the scenary changes from movie 1/2 to movie 3/4
though, i MUCH prefer the movie 3/4 scenary to movie 1/2 its 100000000% better IMO
but the womping willow and hagrids hut are completely in differnt spots
but it works better

Old August 13th, 2006, 7:29 am
First Year

The dragon scene in GoF. I mean, that was like a half an hour. I least I remember it that way. Those actions sequences are exciting, but to a point. They are good for a book, you can stop reading anytime you like. But not for a movie like HP.

Another thing. I have watched all four with someone who hasn't read the book and they are constantly confused with what is going on. It's as if the director's assume you have read the books which in turn, leaves the movie very choppy. I had to explain all throughout the movie why things were happening and what was going on. Poorly directed films with flashy CG. The acting is very good, I mean, almost every role is a big-time star. Wanting to cash on HP I guess.

Old August 13th, 2006, 7:34 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper0
The dragon scene in GoF. I mean, that was like a half an hour. I least I remember it that way. Those actions sequences are exciting, but to a point. They are good for a book, you can stop reading anytime you like. But not for a movie like HP.

Another thing. I have watched all four with someone who hasn't read the book and they are constantly confused with what is going on. It's as if the director's assume you have read the books which in turn, leaves the movie very choppy. I had to explain all throughout the movie why things were happening and what was going on. Poorly directed films with flashy CG. The acting is very good, I mean, almost every role is a big-time star. Wanting to cash on HP I guess.

I would have to agree with everything u said...but then again we are biased because of our HP obsession..well at least i am!! haha!

Wise Words from a wise man..Albus Dumbledore!

~Don't Dwell On Dreams and Forget to Live
~I'm not worried Im With you
~Tom, Mearley taking you life wouldnt satisfy me
~Well....it's just that you seem to be laboring under the delusion that I am going to come...whats the phrase...come quietley
~Old men are guilty if they forget what its like to be young
Old August 13th, 2006, 11:40 pm
Fourth Year

My pet peeves in all movies, not just Harry Potter, are very simple, and very easily remedied. I don't like seeing things that have been done before millions of times, I like seeing things that are original. I don't like seeing things that are long and drawn out (or seem that way) I like seeing things that are tightly packed, neat and tidy, and well thought about for my (and others') viewing pleasure.

That said...

Remedy: Queen_Beruth's mantra, "Show, don't tell!" I'm a firm believer.

Harry Potter movies 1 and 2 just didn't do it for me- way, way too much telling. Movie 3? YES! My very favorite. i just watched it, I could probably pop it in again and catch something new, that's how much "showing" there is, and that's not the only reason I like it. Artistry, photography, etc. I won't go into detail here. Movie 4? Most publicly appealing, made for popularity, made for cinematic success, etc. I think it has the least amount of long-drawn-out-ness, but PoA is still the best film. I could break out specific examples, but they've already all been said, so I'll just go with this.